Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Default New turbo kits

Snort seems to have a new turbo kit out;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EA-AU-FORD-FA...QQcmdZViewItem

What Im concerned about though is the brand of turbo KKK 450r turbocharger. Does anyone know how reliable they are? they dont sound reliable. Do you think id be able to get away with it running only 6 psi and stock ecu, fuel pump & injectors? The main idea is I want to do it as cheap as possible and keep it under 3k all up (ill be fitting and doing it all myself) do you think its possible.

Also the car will get a good thrash everynow and then just want to make sure the setup holds up

Old 21-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
jones_aus

im fairly shure porsche used to or they still do use kkk turbochargers, so no worries with that
jones_aus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #3
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not too bad.

He's using a log style manifold for his new Stage 2? I thought he only made Tuned Length manifolds...

Personally, I'd get a 6boost manifold, and all parts 2nd hand, but brand new. Just hold out, there are lots of people selling turbo parts, because they haven't gone through with it. You can pick some stuff up cheap. Then your price will come around abouts where his is, and you can choose all your parts yourself
Old 21-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

kkk is used by many european factory cars, all up front prosche, VW, audi, etc

Schwitzer was the inventor of the turbo charger and then was the main driving force with KKK. from 1952 on the merged into Borg Warner Tirbo Systems .. http://turbotech.com.au/borgwarner.htm

Id use a KKK on my cars any day
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

What about garret to4e isnt that better? Ill keep an eye on the for sale section as well.

Otherwise I might pick that kit and give it ago!
Old 21-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I have done 30,000k's on the 600r (big bro to the 450r) no worries, Geoff helped to tear it down at 27,000k's there was next to no shaft play and the turbo still was fantastic.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
He's using a log style manifold for his new Stage 2? I thought he only made Tuned Length manifolds...
I thought his newer kits were tuned as well. Either way wasn't there a thread about the difference being not that much between tuned and log manifolds ??

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #8
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Its well worth considering going with one of Geoffs kits.

The only cheaper way to go about it is to track down cheap and used parts. I felt it was worth it, others wouldnt.

Hes sold quite a few kits so i imagine the bugs have been ironed out.

Youll pay between $600-800 for a exhaust manifold, possibly cheaper for an old log-style. You wont get any additional benefit in a tuned length over a log style with a mild setup.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

KKK arent a bad turbocharger, also called 'blitz' in Japan from memory..
They are reliable, and I have bought one of these kits before(stage 4, KKK600r), and as far as I know its going very well.
I didnt know he was still doing KKK turbos, people were bagging out his kits calling them el cheapo rubbish so he went to Garrett so those idiots couldnt have anything to say about his products.
Theres not much difference in the manifolds, especially under 300rwkw.. the only difference he has told me is that when you go for the tuned length you run a few psi less to make the same power.
If it was me though, Id push for a T04e, imo its a better charger..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
hilly1981

If you were to purchase one of these kits and get someone else to install and tune for you, how much would you expect to pay for the installation?

Just curious as I would have no idea on how to put in a turbo kit on my own.
hilly1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I would think itt would be expensive.

One part of the job that I've been told that is expensive to do (if you want to do it properly) is when you drill a hole for your return oil line into your sump. Some people just drill the hole in the sump (which can leave metal fillings in your sump - not good). To be safe I've been told, you should be removing the sump. Apparently this is a big job.

Old 23-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6

One part of the job that I've been told that is expensive to do (if you want to do it properly) is when you drill a hole for your return oil line into your sump. Some people just drill the hole in the sump (which can leave metal fillings in your sump - not good). To be safe I've been told, you should be removing the sump. Apparently this is a big job.
This is likely to be true.

I have done two sumps just by drilling and tapping. I think the risk of filings can be minimised by being careful and using grease, but the only way to be sure would be to remove the sump.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

$3,000 isn't going to do it even doing a lot of work yourself unless this is a off road car as the engineering certificate to keep it legallly registered and insured will be something you will have to get done and this adds to the cost and time.

My experince with car mods is budget overuns of 50% are common when you find all the little bits and pieces to finish a job off properly.

A turbo install done on the cheap is more like $5k do it yourself $10k getting it done. $15k done and roadworthy.

Really not worthwhile when you can buy BA XR6T's for $25k these days.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
$3,000 isn't going to do it even doing a lot of work yourself unless this is a off road car as the engineering certificate to keep it legallly registered and insured will be something you will have to get done and this adds to the cost and time.

My experince with car mods is budget overuns of 50% are common when you find all the little bits and pieces to finish a job off properly.

A turbo install done on the cheap is more like $5k do it yourself $10k getting it done. $15k done and roadworthy.

i guess what it really comes down to is if you really want a turbo au instead of a ba/bf
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #15
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6

Some guys stick an airgun into the motor and create positive crankcase pressure so that when they drill and tap into the sump the filings are blown back out.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So whats the story. The snort web site states info about a stage 3,4,5 kit. I've just sent an email to snort for more information. If $2500 is the take now price on a stage 2 kit I'll pick one up next weekend when I'm in Albury.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

If you have all the parts ready to go, 3k will see it all fitted to your car inc labour. Ive been quoted anywhere from 1800 to 3000... thats only if you supply all parts less intercooler piping.
A turbo install done on the cheap, imo is between 8-10k..(yes, i know cheaper kits have been done in the past)..
And buying a BA XR6T isnt the only answer.. You can buy an AU for 8k now, throw 10-12k force feeding it, still work out cheaper than a BA XR6T and flog the doors off one.
Hell Id rather stav's wagon over a BA XR6T.. a 14.77 second N/A 6 AUTO WAGON is more impressive than a 12 second bolt on upgrade BA XR6T..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #18
loxxr6
XB in parts...

An XR6T would be nice (and easier on insurance) but I reckon I'll turn more heads in the AU when it has an intercooler hanging off the front of it.