Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

Default $4000 difference between Holden and Ford Dealers

About 6 months ago I went to a holden dealer in adelaide about trading in my 97 XH for a brand new VZ SS Thunder and they said they'd give me $8000 trade-in and at the Ford Dealer in adelaide i approached, they said they'd be hard pressed giving me any more than $4000 trade-in on a brand new BF XR8!
I didn't mention Holdens price to Ford but why would Holden give me such a good price on a Ford? I reckon my ute sold privately would be that price itself!

Is it the fact that Holden would love to convert a Ford follower and give him an excellent price and in turn make no profit onselling the ute possibly losing money or did the bloke at Ford have no idea??

XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They wouldnt be keeping it in their yard. Would depend on how much they could get for it off a smaller yard or wholesaler.

Also you might find that holden could offer you 8k trade, but may have really only been say 5k for the car, and they still had 3k left to move in the price of the new one, and for may have done less on the trade, but also discounted the car more heavily.

Lot of ifs and buts
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Trade in price means nothing, its all about hte change over price.

Holden were smart, they offered you 8 grand for a car thats probarly only worth 4 wholesale, but they wouldnt have discounted the new car, therefore the ford dealer coulda givin you 4 grand trade in but discounted the new car by 4 thousand...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Holden dealer loaded your trade-in on the VZ because the VE was about to go on sale. Holden dealers were possibly getting a kick-back from GMH to shift VZ's.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
The Holden dealer loaded your trade-in on the VZ because the VE was about to go on sale. Holden dealers were possibly getting a kick-back from GMH to shift VZ's.
Exactly, buy buying a VZ you are doing them a favour.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
pb02
inconceivable!

Actually I have to agree with you. I have been looking to trade my Pursuit ute for a dual cab 4x4. Ford gave me the worst trade in of the lot, and I've been to Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi. The difference between the best (Toyota) and Ford was $4500!! Both Nissan and Mitsubishi offered $2500 more than Ford also.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
jonk

Use to work for a Holden dealer as a sales person. We constantly inflated the trade in price, because that's all people are worried about. Geddit ? You give with one hand, and take with the other...
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

i see... I'm glad i've stuck with my ute now.
Thanks for your replies
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHUTE6
!Is it the fact that Holden would love to convert a Ford follower and give him an excellent price and in turn make no profit onselling the ute possibly losing money or did the bloke at Ford have no idea??
Reckon your about 80% right on both counts there. Holden would still have made money, Ford dealers tend to milk the faithful, unfortunately - captive audience.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post