Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
f6 typhoon

Default auto gearbox problems

hi fellas just have a little problem with my gearbox its a au 2 forte sedan when i push the economy button on the centre console the gearbox changes gears so quickly like go up a hill it will go from 1 to 2 goood but then go to 3 then 4 real quick and the motor bogs down and then i have to push the throttle to make it kick back down to 2 and pick up more speed but now over time i have had the economy button off and has been in power button mode for a while is doing the same as the economy side of things it starts to change gears a bit quicker than economy side i was thinking it might need a service or something and help on the situation would be appreciated thanks in advance chris

f6 typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

F6 - sounds like a similar problem to mine. When I kick down using accelerator, it changes to second for about half a second, then straight back into 3. Then when I finally hit the speed I want (say 80), it takes ages to actually change up into 4 (even with little to no throttle on). I have also noticed that it dopesn't seem to "lock up" in top gear any more at all.

So....I have been told that it is the inhibitor switch on the auto trans. By doing a bit of a search on the net (not an easy one by any means), I have found that the required part is around the $100 mark (+/- $20) and fitting is fairly straightforward (3 screws and 2 electrical connectors) - but you will need easy access to the underneath of the car. Mine is booked in for a service tomorrow, so I should have confirmation of what my car's problem is about this time tomorrow - I'll post up what mine is/was so you can decide if yours is the same or not (I'd get it checked by professionals anyway).

The other problem I was told it could be is one or more of the solenoids/valves - that is far more expensive than the inhibitor switch.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Got my car back today. They just did a service, but couldn't get any codes because the scan tool wouldn't give them any - they're not sure if it's my car or their tool, so will take it back next year. They also cleaned the contacts on the inhibitor switch, and so far in 20kms driving, none of the problems have reappeared, despite me trying everything to get them to show themselves, so here's hoping it's all fixed.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Interesting indeed ... I have had this problem ... kind of ... but it hasn't really been annoying though .... I thought it was a standard trait ... and also having a bit of an underpowered EGAS motor as well .... hee hee.

I might get the connectors cleaned on the inhibitor switch and see if that makes any difference.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post