Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
BJMXR

Default Line Lockers - Burnouts ;)

Hey all...

Just wondering what the best technique is for cutting off the rear brakes for those times where we cant resist spinning up the rears. Ive been merely riding the brakes but would prefer to have most of the bias on the front to free the braking power on the rear.

I imagine i just need to clamp the brke line on each side near the rear brakes? Or is there a single brake line under the car that will do both rears in one go? Can i get the device from Repco or something?

Im not a ****er on the roads or a hoon, but a bit of tyre smoke here and there smells pretty nice...

Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

Get a brake bias valve. Get it installed in your center console and away you go.

Only manufacturer I know of such things is AP Racing, but i'm sure there are others. Not sure how legal this device is on the road.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
BJMXR

Thanks Parawolf...

Im thinking of something a little more simple perhaps, as im not doing them every day... dont mind getting under the car, attaching it and taking it off when im done. Something in the car would be great on the dash or centre console, but i imagine would cost too much. Im after a simple and cheap solution i think...
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Vice grips on the hose from body to rear lines works best as a"roll control". LOL
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
BJMXR

Can you split the hose easily? I imagine your talking of the lines that are near the spring/shocks/discs? And how tight are we talking in terms of squeezing the hose?
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
parawolf
beep beep

I'm pretty sure that the lines through the body are metal tubes not rubber/synthetic hoses so clamping would have to be done at the caliper if you don't have braided lines.

not 100% on that. However if I was designing a car, it would be fixed metal tubes until the point where the wheel rotates where it would become braided lines.

Also clamping the rubber lines would prematurely perish the material as it would be going through forces that it was not designed to withstand.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
geza
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMXR
Hey all...

Just wondering what the best technique is for cutting off the rear brakes for those times where we cant resist spinning up the rears. Ive been merely riding the brakes but would prefer to have most of the bias on the front to free the braking power on the rear.
Hi BJMXR

Basically what you want is a reverse line locker.
A line locker is used in drag racing, when it's switched on you pump up your brakes and when you release the brake pedal your rear brakes are still on so then once you've reached stall speed you just flick the switch and go.
By reversing the solenoid in the line locker system, you flick a switch and then only your front brakes work. No more worn disks and pads just rubber.
Call Brenden at Jim Mock MotorSport, when I asked him about it he said it would cost about 400-500 bucks then I said maybe, oneday.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Gerry
Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Clamping the hose's is just not worth it, it's dangerous and stupid, if you just want to do it on the odd ocassion like you say and only want a bit off smoke, it's easy, foot on brake and foot on acelerator, instant smoke.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
justa6
justa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Clamping the hose's is just not worth it, it's dangerous and stupid, if you just want to do it on the odd ocassion like you say and only want a bit off smoke, it's easy, foot on brake and foot on acelerator, instant smoke.
yeah i'm with galaxy xr on this one, JUST TRAMP THE THING
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #10
Steve_T

Yeah, as for clamping the hoses, IIRC there's a couple of thousand psi of pressure in the brake lines when they're applied, so to stop that sorta pressure getting through you'd have to clamp the hoses so hard it'd certainly be damaging to them and thus dangerous.

Methinks even with line locker or bias control, ABS is always gonna bugger ya with burnouts - ABS sees rear wheels going flat-out and fronts not moving, so will try to decrease pressure on front brakes and maybe increase on rear - I don't reckon you'd ever be able to hold it really well but I've not really tried.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
BJMXR

I dont think ABS seems to come into play actually, ive admittedly only done a few so far and theres NO problem with getting them spinning and having plenty of instant smoke while sitting stationary. I just imagine the heat build up in the brakes for starters and the extra load on the engine FROM the brakes is ultimately not ideal.

If you got an XR8 and havent given it a go... i guarantee you'll be suprised what you can do... even 1st gear, i might try to snap second next time... and either way, its another way to have a bit of fun in your beast!
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 13-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
Steve_T

Maybe ABS only kicks in when you stomp the pedal hard in an emergency - that's what I originally thought from reading the owners manual, but later I read stuff that made me think it's active all the time - which could be wrong.

/me has an auto XR8 ute and can't really do burnouts :( I know torque limits in ECU have something to do with it - maybe (most likely) it's my technique as well - I don't really know how LOL - how hard to hold brake and how much to stop on throttle etc.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
extra load on the engine FROM the brakes is ultimately not ideal.
and the fact that your reving out your engine on the spot has no bearing on the matter? :P

Last edited by niko; 13-12-2005 at 02:18 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
BJMXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
and the fact that your reving out of your engine on the spot has no bearing on the matter? :P
I know ;) but im thinking that without the brakes grabbing heavily on the rears id ultimately be putting less load through everything which can only be a good thing. Clearly not doing a burnout would put a lot less stress on everything, but i think another one will have to happen sometime soon
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 13-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
niko
likes falcon's

just do it on a cold night, on private roads ofcourse:P
Old 13-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
turbo00007
Boost

A brake job shouldnt put to much pressure on system as long as you dont hold it for 5 minutes
Old 14-12-2005, 12:12 AM   #17
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont you just get the car moving because of its weight and its a manual (10km/h is fine) depress the clutch rev to about 3,4,5 thousand revs pop the clutch and wait for smoke.

if u have LSD i recommend not doing this while the car is not moving as this may cost into the $1k mark my SR felt most of it
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 01:46 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Why not just buy some aircraft spec wheel chocs, put them in front of the front wheels and then you will have burnout city.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
Why not just buy some aircraft spec wheel chocs, put them in front of the front wheels and then you will have burnout city.
Borrow some from a place that has a dyno ...
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #20
Cam
Stroking it...

Or a simple power upgrade will do just fine, my car happily goes into 2nd and smokes em up, creates more then enough smoke for me, if you wanna keep going, crank the wheel and go into another doughie instead of driving up the road, easy ;) lol
Cam
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #21
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_T
Yeah, as for clamping the hoses, IIRC there's a couple of thousand psi of pressure in the brake lines when they're applied, so to stop that sorta pressure getting through you'd have to clamp the hoses so hard it'd certainly be damaging to them and thus dangerous.

Methinks even with line locker or bias control, ABS is always gonna bugger ya with burnouts - ABS sees rear wheels going flat-out and fronts not moving, so will try to decrease pressure on front brakes and maybe increase on rear - I don't reckon you'd ever be able to hold it really well but I've not really tried.

Ive done a fair few line lockers in my XR, with ABS, and it hasnt come into play yet. It mainly seems to come into play when I jump on the brakes in a hurry... In answer to the original question, I reckon just do it traditional style is the best way to go about it! Cheers!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #22
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

The way my ute does em (no abs, manual), 1st gear dump at bout 4 grand then on the brakes with left foot. I don’t have a problem regulating the pressure with left foot, you feel the pedal as you go.
Trust me, it works well. With no LSD I can still leave two wheel marks on the ground, it just depends on my brake pressure.

Enjoy
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #23
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Hey all...

I imagine i just need to clamp the brke line on each side near the rear brakes? Or is there a single brake line under the car that will do both rears in one go? Can i get the device from Repco or something?

Well the cheap way to do it is to buy a plastic Brake hose clamp you can get them for about $10 the problem with this is that brakes are about 3000psi and a clamp will let the fluid through and then you will find that they will be locked on untill you take the clamp off .

What I have done is get a ball valve and put it inline under the bonnet next to the brake booster the total cost of this was under $20 and i did it in my shed in under 1hr .
The bad/good thing with this is that if i want to skid then i have to get out and turn the handle. and from that point on there is no REAR brakes at all untill i turn the handle back .
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

ehhhhh save your money and dont do burnouts : also, i scared myself the other night with a scary experience with the LSD. so i wont be doing burnouts for a while
Old 18-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #25
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

burnouts, very fun to do especially in the wet, i don't do em very often but, i'm worried something may go horribly wrong with my car!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #26
BJMXR

Gee don't know who this is ;) :hihi:

But i bet he had fun! I also bet he just rode the brake through the burnout...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burnin.jpg (48.3 KB, 76 views)
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 22-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Who would do suck a thing :
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #28
Mr Mooch
Mr Mooch

Talking Rent a burnout

I always find that rentals do the very best burnouts.
You seem to be able to rev the clappers out of them and slot them into drive - instant smoke.

Have a great Christmas
Mr Mooch