Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default What a nightmare I've just gone through!

Yesterday I received an invoice for unpaid tolls of trips I did not take on our Citylink toll roads here in Victoria for last month.

Luckily, I keep detailed records of my car and trips in my daily diary, so I know exactly if I used a particular toll road or not.

I also, of course, have a toll account with Citylink (Now known as LinkT) and an E-Tag always mounted on the windscreen of my car, and the account is always in credit.

I double checked my account online for my trip history, which did not show the trips I had been incorrectly invoiced for.

If the invoice was not paid within a certain time frame, it would be handed on to the police who could then issue infringement notices to me totalling many hundreds of dollars.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I rang Citylink to complain that I believed it was a case of "mistaken number plate" identity or someone may have copied my number plate and put it on their car to use the toll roads free.

I demanded photographic evidence that it was my car taken by the cameras at those toll gates.

I explained that my car is very distinctive, easily identifiable a mile away, and could not be mistaken for many cars being a white Mustang with wide black stripes running over the top and front of the car, that would clearly show in any photograph... Not the sort of car you would use in any criminal activity if you wanted to go under the radar.

Sure enough, the photograph is sent to me, and it is a Toyota bearing the same number plate as mine! The Toyota emblem on the grille showing clearly.

Now Citylink cameras can only take photos in black and white and not colour.
So the colour of the number plate or car cannot be ascertained.

The guy I spoke to a Citylink in their photo department was very helpful and could see from their records that my plate was registered to a Ford Mustang and not a Toyota and agreed to waive the toll fees.

I told him there were only two possibilities since my number plates are still on my car and have not been stolen...

1. Someone has copied my plate, printed it out and pasted it on their front number plate while travelling through toll roads.

or 2. It is possible to have the exact same number plate in different states within Australia, and someone from interstate with the same number as mine has come to Victoria and driven through the toll roads without an E-tag or paying for the trips.

I asked him to check the "state" displayed on the number plate in the photos.
Unfortunately, no state such as Vic or NSW was identifiable on the plate.

So I decided to do my own detective work.

I ran the number plate through this site: https://ismyairbagsafe.com.au
Which allows you to type in any number plate and state to see if you are affected by the "Takata airbag recall".

It tells you which vehicle the plate belongs to.

When I input my plate number and tried different states, it identified the vehicle as a Toyota RAV 4 registered in NSW.

I called the guy back at Citylink and told him my findings, and that he could now do a search on the transport system they have access to for NSW and determine the owner of the vehicle and pass on the invoice or fines.

I find it quite disturbing that you can have the same number plate registered to different cars on a state by state basis in Australia, as this is what can happen, especially if you have "custom plates".

Anyway, I now have an email letter in writing and the photo from Citylink, should I incur any more invoices from this car with my number travelling Victoria's toll roads for free.

It's worth checking the link I provided above to see if anyone else in another state has the same rego number as yours.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: What a nightmare I've just gone through!

Wow, glad to hear you had a speedy resolution and good outcome.

I guess that's what happens when state governments don't talk to one another,
I wonder how many other doppelgangers are out there and how many people
have been stung and just paid the bills...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
stig_3754

I don't have an issue with the same number being registered in a different state, however I do find it disturbing that for all the money they make in tolls over the years that they couldn't distinguish which state the plates are from and assume they're Victorian.

And also the fact that this was sent as a separate invoice rather than these trips showing up on your history, which should just add a 'no tag fee' for not seeing your tag but detecting your plate which is registered.

A calamity of errors and as I said very alarming considering how much these grubs make from these tolls.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great detective work, GF.

And not as bad as I thought the situation may have been
Is it Macquarie Bank who owns the system down there?
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You’re very lucky if that’s what’s considered a nightmare to you, issue identified and fees waived!
First world nightmare?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

But what if the NSW Plate owner also owned a white Mustang.

What then
Old 22-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting .. NSW vehicle with same plate as mine .. Beemer though.

I am concerned though, as my '65 Chev Corvair, '69 AMC Javelin and '74 AMC Javelin came up on https://ismyairbagsafe.com.au as "Unknown"?? Maybe I need my airbag checked? ;)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i rang e-toll about my tag not working and they told me it was suspened due to tampering of the tag...WTF!
its been on my wifes car for 3 years and before that was on her old car for 4 years and before that was on my work car for so many years

they told me to bring it in asap to be sent off and checked so they could determine how it was tampered with

anyway i dropped it off at the RMS and the guy there said its a load of crap and he gave me a new one
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
But what if the NSW Plate owner also owned a white Mustang.

What then
I agree, and it could happen, especially with more common cars like the Falcons.

Okay so let's now look at it another way... Knowing what I know now, that there is another car in NSW with the same plate as mine...
I am going to drive my car on holiday in NSW, take out my E-Tag, drive through all the toll roads, and that poor RAV 4 owner is going to be copping my toll fees.

Australians don't have the same two Medicare, Passport, Licence, or Tax file numbers.

Cars cross state borders, number plate numbers should also be unique.

It is also a failing of the Citylink toll system... They can identify plate numbers using automatic plate recognition technology, but not from which state it was issued... The Citylink guy I spoke to in their camera/photograph department confirmed this to me.

That's another reason why I don't publish my plate number on AFF photos of my car or other forums or social media.

Someone, signs up, searches a Ford or Falcon in the colour they are looking for (especially in the Show N' Shine forum), that matches their car (or stolen car), copies the plate, and next you have to explain to the police that your car did not go through those red light or speed cameras, or worse still, were not involved in the bank robbery.

Sure, people see your car plate on your car while driving down the road, so why hide it online? ... But the difference is AFF has over 120,000 members and many more guests visiting these forums every day... Not everyone is an upstanding member of society, and it's easy to search for cars and matching paint colour online than randomly waiting until you see the exact match on the road.

Maybe you think that's being over cautious... But lots of personal identities are stolen every day through people posting stuff about themselves and personal details online.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 22-08-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What number and letter combination is your plate? I thought no 2 states had the same?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I agree, and it could happen, especially with more common cars like the Falcons.

Okay so let's now look at it another way... Knowing what I know now, that their is another car in NSW with the same plate as mine...
I am going to drive my car on holiday in NSW, take out my E-Tag, drive through all the toll roads, and that poor RAV 4 owner is going to be copping my toll fees.

Australians don't have the same two Medicare, Passport, Licence, or Tax file numbers.

Cars cross state borders, number plate numbers should also be unique.

It is also a failing of the Citylink toll system... They can identify plate numbers using automatic plate recognition technology, but not from which state it was issued... The Citylink guy I spoke to in their camera/photograph department confirmed this to me.

That's another reason why I don't publish my plate number on AFF photos of my car or other forums or social media.

Someone, signs up, searches a Ford or Falcon in the colour they are looking for (especially in the Show N' Shine forum), that matches their car (or stolen car), copies the plate, and next you have to explain to the police that your car did not go through those red light or speed cameras, or worse still, were not involved in the bank robbery.

Sure, people see your car plate on your car while driving down the road, so why hide it online? ... But the difference is AFF has over 120,000 members and many more guests visiting these forums every day... Not everyone is an upstanding member of society, and it's easy to search for cars and matching paint colour online than randomly waiting until you see the exact match on the road.

Maybe you think that's being over cautious... But lots of personal identities are stolen every day through people posting stuff about themselves and personal details online.
I reckon carsales would be the first point of call. Easy to search car, colour, etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
What number and letter combination is your plate? I thought no 2 states had the same?
Personalised custom plates... Two letters followed by 3 digits.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same here ... with NSW doppelganger ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Glad you got it sorted.
I parked behind a locksmiths van in Sydney CBD last time I was there and the number plate was LOKGUY, I was in my Vic registered motorhome / truck, ROKGUY, we both took a step back when we saw each others plate.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #15
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

An acquaintance of mine has a VF GTS here in Vic, someone up in Qld has copied his custom plates, Vic bit and all, attached them to a VE Clubby (pics from tolls show this) and has been speeding through tolls at 185 and 165kph.
Now he has to somehow prove its not his car or Qld Police are going to confiscate his car.
They want him to appear in court to defend himself, which is a pita being 1800ks away.
He's going to send a stat dec with help from the local constabulary, and hopefully that'll be the end of it.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
An acquaintance of mine has a VF GTS here in Vic, someone up in Qld has copied his custom plates, Vic bit and all, attached them to a VE Clubby (pics from tolls show this) and has been speeding through tolls at 185 and 165kph.
Now he has to somehow prove its not his car or Qld Police are going to confiscate his car.
They want him to appear in court to defend himself, which is a pita being 1800ks away.
He's going to send a stat dec with help from the local constabulary, and hopefully that'll be the end of it.
The best way to ensure it does not happen again for your friend, is for him to hand in his plates to Vicroads to hold on "retention" (so he still owns them), and get a new number put on his car, which costs less than $50 to do.

He now has written proof from Vicroads that they have his plates securely in storage via the receipts and paperwork.

That way he now has proof that from a certain date, his plates were being held at Vicroads if the VE Chubby in QLD continues to use his plates.

Actually if he does that, and the VE Chubby racks up more fines, it will work in your friend's favour in court as evidence that his plates are being used by a third party.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 22-08-2018 at 05:43 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
I got worried as my plates are also two letters plus 3 numbers (had them for 40 years now), but a check through all the other states via your link shows my combination is not issued elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads up on this GF.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Playing the devil's advocate here... Here's an interesting scenario... You live on a border town, like Albury - Wodonga or Echuca & Moana in Vic / NSW.

As a resident, you are frequently crossing the river border between the two states.

Vic resident registers ME-666 in Vic and NSW hoon resident registers ME-666 in NSW.

Both go for the same custom colours for digits and background.

Hmm... Unless the "state" is clearly visible in one of those number plate frames... Well, I would not want to be living in those border towns with speed cameras, and same number.

There should be a federal system for number plates, or at less an agreement between states that the same number cannot be registered twice in two or more states.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #19
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

I've got a couple of sets of plates, both six digits, the only difference is a number 0 and on the other set it reads the letter O. You can barely tell them apart.
It amazed me they slipped through the DOT but on the other hand I have been refused other combinations for much larger differences.
There needs to be a written standard shared by all states and territories as a common rule.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #20
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am wondering why it is not mandatory for all Toll and Parking Fines from Photos to be thoroughly scrutinised before they are issued.

Apart from the instance you have highlighted in this thread, another common issue are letters on plates being misread. Examples being letters like s being confused with the number 5.

The first thing the people issuing these fines should do is to look at the plate and then the car it is attached to, to see if it matches the car in the database. If not it should be escalated and looked at in more detail.

You are guilty until proven innocent.
They are happy to take the money, but you are not compensated for all the red tape and time you go through to prove their mistake.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #21
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am dead sure i saw a story on A Current Affair a while ago about how 'the asians' are doing this number plate 'copying' stuff.
'
I think it was Victoria markets in Melbourne theres a stall there where you can get 'ANY' type of number plate stamped and made on the spot.

Fricken crazy world we now live in!!!

Oh and i was in Adelaide about 6 months ago for a week for work.

The Sth Oz number plates are all over the place its quite funny actually.

ALL sorts of wierd different numbers and letters over there!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #22
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBarraWGN View Post
I am dead sure i saw a story on A Current Affair a while ago about how 'the asians' are doing this number plate 'copying' stuff.
'
I think it was Victoria markets in Melbourne theres a stall there where you can get 'ANY' type of number plate stamped and made on the spot.

Fricken crazy world we now live in!!!
See that's the thing... If the thieves steal your plates from your car, you report them as stolen... That goes straight to the police and transport authorities database.

Many police cars now have number plate recognition technology cams as they drive along the road, and alerts them on suspect plates, etc.

So easier to get caught nowadays.

But make a copy, put them on the same model car and colour and you could go undetected for a long time as no one would know.

Hmm... Here's an idea.... Buy two cars exactly the same model, year and colour.... Register only one of them and move the plates between them depending which one you want to drive each day.
Half your rego costs per year.

And what's more our Vic state government has made it even easier, as now there are no more rego labels stuck to the windscreen required with the rego number printed on it to match the number plate.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 23-08-2018 at 12:09 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 02:33 AM   #23
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Many police cars now have number plate recognition technology cams as they drive along the road, and alerts them on suspect plates, etc. So easier to get caught nowadays.
But make a copy, put them on the same model car and colour and you could go undetected for a long time as no one would know.
And what's more our Vic state government has made it even easier, as now there are no more rego labels stuck to the windscreen required with the rego number printed on it to match the number plate.
On NSW rego papers, there's no mention of the vehicles colour, although it will show up on a police car's computer, so if the car has been resprayed a different colour and it hasn't been updated with the RMS, you can be handed a nice revenue raiser from your friendly law enforcement man.
Fair comment re the plate copies - you can even go on the NSW RMS site and check when the rego is current to - so provided you're not pulled up for speeding, etc, shouldn't be a problem. IIRC from the RBT's I've been through over the last few years, I've not had to show a drivers licence or be queried on rego.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #24
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

This has been an especially interesting topic for me as I am reminded of a time when I had just put my '69 Mach 1 back on the road after some nice reno work.

I get this official letter in the mail from the Washington D.C police, dept of investigations. They wanted me to take my car to them for impound and investigations of a hit and run. WTF??????!!!!!!!

I live in a neighbouring state, Maryland, and my county also neighbours DC. I live in the extreme far corner from DC, as far as one can get. At the time it was "Green Acres" country.

So I called the number and spoke to the officer in charge of the investigation. To be honest he was a ***** and I told him, no, I am not taking my car down there.

Called a recommended lawyer who, after getting the background info, set up a 3 way telephone call. He told me not to say anything until asked.

Turns out it was another damn blue Toyota and the driver was of a different ethnicity. My Mach 1 was burgundy, flat black hood, mustard C stripes.

Back then, I think that call only cost me $25.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend had an issue with a parking ticket. Got a letter in the mail from a council across the other side of Melbourne for an unpaid Parking Ticket plus the extras.

She was on holiday in NZ during the time of the alleged Parking Infringement, sent a letter to the Council with copies of documentation and details of her car. Council refused to withdraw ticket.

At the time my Friend was working as a Nanny for a QC, she had spoken to her boss about what had happened and her boss said she would represent her Pro Bono.

In Court the Parking Officer gives his evidence and the QC asked one question what was the make of the car? Mercedes Benz. Friends car was a Toyota.The MB was registered in NSW.

Last edited by EBSXR6; 23-08-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #26
browser351
Landcruiser 200

A little bit off topic but on March 28 I received a text from CityLink stating my username is bxxxxx7000@gmail.com.Really didn't think much of it, but then on May 7 I got another text stating my verification code is 10xxx2.
Strange thing is that I live in Central Qld, Have never driven in Melbourne or applied for anything from CityLink.
I have just ignored the texts, but curious as to why they would sent them to me. I guess somebody gave them my phone number???
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #27
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

logon with that ID and update their details
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #28
browser351
Landcruiser 200

Nope,tried - need a password
Old 23-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #29
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser351 View Post
Nope,tried - need a password
You should have the option to reset your password. There should be a 'Forgotten Password?' link on the login screen. It'll send instructions on how to reset this to your email address.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #30
browser351
Landcruiser 200

Yeah Mate - Tried that, it asked to send a new verification code to either an SMS or to e-mail. I picked the SMS as the phone number was xxxx xxx 868.
My number ends in 868, so that's why I was getting the text messages. As of yet no new verification code. It looks like they might have fixed the phone number to the correct one. I also tried the old verification code I received in May - no good.
Not worried about it - I could always ring them, but not too concerned.