Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Soundsystem is in (pics)

After spending the good part of 2 days with the people at the lifestyle in Parramatta my little Fiesta was finally back in my hands last yesterday with a few minor changes. The headunit and speaker were replaced by muhc much better aftermarket units.

The headunit I went after was the Alpine CDA-9827 mp3 unit. These have amazing sound quality with 3 4v preouts. The reason for the gap on the left is that the stock ford unit is slightly wider than a normal headunit.

The front splits are MbQuart Reference RCE216 6.5inch splits. Amazingly the splits manage to fit in the whole left by the stock speakers giving it a nice stock look. The tweeters are mounted on the A-pillar and again look 100% stock.

In the back are MbQuart Reference RCE269 6x9's. These are easily the best sounding 6x9's i have ever heard. I had a reinforcing MDF panel put in on the top of the parcel shelf to hold the extra weight of the speakers and cross overs.

Finally the amp. I have a RockFord Fosgate p4004 powering all the speakers with a tested 89W RMS. Nothing much to say other than I need to set the Filters as the bass cutoff from the front is set way too high and the back can do with an adjustment.

I bought everything from the lifestyle store in Parramatta and had them do the installing aswell. I would very much recommend these guys, they may charge abit extra but they do an excelent job and they even do small things like add a special pouch in the glovebox to hold the headunit face box when not used.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Nice install there !

Chris
Old 20-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

All looks like top quality gear, I can't wait to hear it and see how it all runs!

It's been a little while in the making but looks to have all come together how you wanted it, well done!

As I said, look forward to hearing it next cruise!

Tim!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Veery nice!! gota be happy with that!

One question.. do the 6.5 need any sort of bracket made up.. or do the holes in the 6.5 speaker match up perfectly with the holes of the stocko 5x7?!?!?!
this might mean im in luck, good 6.5 seem to be alot cheaper than good 5x7
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no idea how the holes line up. If you get 6.5inch splits your not going to be able to run much bass through them the way mine are mounted. I tried lowering the filter frequency on the amp but when bass came on it was almost like the cone was hitting the door so I very quicky turned it back up.

Lucky I increased the rear gain and now the sound is amazing everywhere inside the car, and with much less rattling at high volume. The rear speakers are in a very back position and they cause the most rattles so I would move them to the parcel shelf.

The only issue with my system is a lack of bass from the front splits but in not too woried right now as the sound is amazing anyway. If I don't like it when I get a sub ill start thinking about custom fibreglass door pods.
Old 21-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

If they fit in without neding a bracket, we will all be in luck

Chris
Old 22-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

u can say that again
but apparently JBL make 5x7 for like 130 bucks, available from strathfield.. unsure of their quality though :S
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Very nice man... Good to see someone spending some cash on their sound! *HINT* *HINT*

Once i get my head unit and speakers i cant wait to have a good old sound off!

Russ
Old 22-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

JBL are of good quality
what was the damage $$??
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My friend has a set of JBL 6x9 and even running off a stock cassete player they sound very nice. The stock ford units are rated to 25W so most decent aftermarket speakers will sound nicer.

Im gonna have a closer look at the doors on the weekend in order to find out whats causing the poor bass performance in the front. While im at it, ill take a few photos showing how they are mounted.

The damage was $2900 including install, RCA's and all new wiring to speakers. It took 2 full days of work to finsih the car. I put her in a 8:30 Friday and get her 5:30 Saturday.

Last edited by Pieoter; 22-02-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 19-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
piez

i like wat u have done. its startin to give me ideas about my fiesta now and what i can do to it.
piez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Veery nice!! gota be happy with that!

One question.. do the 6.5 need any sort of bracket made up.. or do the holes in the 6.5 speaker match up perfectly with the holes of the stocko 5x7?!?!?!
this might mean im in luck, good 6.5 seem to be alot cheaper than good 5x7
I had to make up a small bracket to fit my speakers in, just cut a bit of MDF the same sie as the old speaker, then cut out my holes for the new 6.5's.
The old screw holes weren't even close.

Very nice install pietor, excellent choices.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
I had to make up a small bracket to fit my speakers in, just cut a bit of MDF the same sie as the old speaker, then cut out my holes for the new 6.5's.
The old screw holes weren't even close.

Very nice install pietor, excellent choices.
Agreed, nice one Pieoter, I bet those sound awesome!
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
The headunit I went after was the Alpine CDA-9827 mp3 unit. These have amazing sound quality with 3 4v preouts.
I had the Alpine CDA-9827 in my last car with 4 Eclipse 3 Way 6" speakers, it sounded absolutely fantastic, I was going to go with an Eclipse head unit as well but after seeing what extra control the Alpine unit had over the Eclipse I opted to go with the Alpine, was so glad I did, it really is a terrific head unit, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it Pieoter......dont forget to turn the "MediaXpander" feature onto level 2 to get the best out of it, I always found that was the best setting to truly get the most out of the unit and then of course just tinker with the band settings to suit your personal taste.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #15
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I had the Alpine CDA-9827 in my last car with 4 Eclipse 3 Way 6" speakers, it sounded absolutely fantastic, I was going to go with an Eclipse head unit as well but after seeing what extra control the Alpine unit had over the Eclipse I opted to go with the Alpine, was so glad I did, it really is a terrific head unit, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it Pieoter......dont forget to turn the "MediaXpander" feature onto level 2 to get the best out of it, I always found that was the best setting to truly get the most out of the unit and then of course just tinker with the band settings to suit your personal taste.
Well I've just found out that most amplifiers have high & low pass filters on them. I was unaware of this when I ordered the stuff, but now am totally stoked, being a muso & all.

I drop my car off to Ryda first thing tomorrow morning... YAY!
Old 19-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, I love the head unit but i never use the MX feature.

Yeh sway most if not all amps will have filters on them, setting them correctly is one of the more annoying parts of calibrating the system.
Old 19-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #17
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
setting them correctly is one of the more annoying parts of calibrating the system.
Knobs & buttons to a muso = magic!

Ahaha, but I know what you mean. I pretty much know off the top of my head what filtering to apply, don't really have to look at it.