Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Car Auction Today

Went to a car auction today in Brisbane and I finally done it. I made a bid. Been to many car auctions with my dad at Tottenham in Melbourne where they used to sell all the Government cars. Used to think my Dad was as cool as a cucumber when bidding. No big deal, No problems. I tried it once at a building supplies Auction and I froze, couldn't raise my arm. Since that day I've only ever bid on E-bay. Got Quite good at that I might add, but your hiding behind a monitor so it's easy. Anyway been looking at a Landcruiser Ute for my young bloke for a couple of weeks now. Decided to take a 2 hour drive down to Eagle Farm which is only 80ks from home. Luckily we left early. ( How do you buggers drive in peak hour traffic, day in day out beats me ) Checked out the vehicle, very happy with it, took the young bloke and his mate down with me ( which I shouldn't of ). Young bloke all excited, kept asking me how high I would go. I had a figure in mind, I had registered to bid, got the number 1313 ( was that an omen ? ) . Ute came in to be bid on, Started getting nervous, felt the urge to pee, Then I thought " C'mon, don't be a skirt " The first bid on the ute was what I thought I would bid up to..... oh bugger.....Then the young bloke looked up at me, so feeling guilty I got the courage up to put in a bid a little higher. Well, then the problems started...After finally getting the dutch courage to put my hand up to bid, I couldn't put the bloody thing down. It was between me and another fella. My e-bay mentality kicked in, I'm going to win this at any cost, so I bid, he bid, I bid he bid, some clown on the internet bid...............the more I bid the more excited my boy got..............finally I won the auction and only went over what I was prepared to spend by $4600.00. Still got a very good buy and I am happy, boy is estatic and wifey say's all I'll be getting is hallway sex for a long long time...................

Old 19-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Good work mate, a car for the young bloke is a must! Lets hope he is appreciative

havent heard the term hallway sex before though. What is that?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
rodderz

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's when you walk past one another after a few years of marriage and go "screw you"...or other words to that effect
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Solid Gold! I like it
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

So what did you end up with and how much?
Old 19-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

1996 Landcruiser ute 4.2lt diesel with quite a few goodies on it for around $11,000.00.
There were some Fords that went thru. Advertised as freshwater flood damage but this lot were all running and very clean
BA Falcon Futura $6900 and about 70ks
BA Falcon ute 2003 with Aluminium tray which looked like it had never been used, 70ks $6500.00 ( Pass me another kleenex tissue please ) a beautiful ute
2005 GT Falcon Auto, Immaculate and purred like a kitten but advertised with motor, transmission and diff damage ( electrical maybe ?? ) $26,000.00
The other thing we noticed was that there were a lot of seedy looking characters at the Auction. Thought I'd stepped onto the set of Underbelly !! Yes , Hallway sex, well described !!!
Old 19-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You went over what you wanted to spend by $4600 and your not worried? You almost doubled what you wanted to pay!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Yes, but what I thought it was worth and what it was actually worth are to different things..........You know , you head to an auction and expect an absolute cracker of a bargain, but so do the other 20 blokes who are bidding on the same item.............beleive me, it would of been an absolute cracker of a bargain if no other bugger bidded against me !!!!
Old 19-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
stevepet

Haven't you heard of the three stages of sex?
The anywhere sex when you first start going out
Then comes bedroom sex This comes after marriage
Then you get hallway sex after a few years of marriage. When you pass each other in the hallway you both say F@$# off.

Cheers
stevepet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Rippa of a storey buggerlugs !!!!
Classic :

If you're happy and the young blokes happy, it's all good. Wifey will get over it : ha ha ha

Auctions can be very nerve racking though, I think Adrenalin takes over from alot of rational thought though !!

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
dave289
Banned

BUGGER............................................ .....................LUGS.... :
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
cjf
GT Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
1996 Landcruiser ute 4.2lt diesel with quite a few goodies on it for around $11,000.00.
There were some Fords that went thru. Advertised as freshwater flood damage but this lot were all running and very clean
BA Falcon Futura $6900 and about 70ks
BA Falcon ute 2003 with Aluminium tray which looked like it had never been used, 70ks $6500.00 ( Pass me another kleenex tissue please ) a beautiful ute
2005 GT Falcon Auto, Immaculate and purred like a kitten but advertised with motor, transmission and diff damage ( electrical maybe ?? ) $26,000.00
The other thing we noticed was that there were a lot of seedy looking characters at the Auction. Thought I'd stepped onto the set of Underbelly !! Yes , Hallway sex, well described !!!
Hey buggerlugs,
The BF GT 6 speed auto is a 6/2006 and was $26,100 ( I know because I bought it) very happy with it and it runs & drives fine. Although Im in
the same boat as you,I went way over budget, and I know the reserve on the GT was only $7000 as I know a few people who work at manheimfowles.
One thing that you have to watch is the auction fees ,they slugged me $1800 fee ontop of my $26,100 bid.
I hope I wasn't one of the seedy characters???
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
cjf
GT Hardcore

If anyone knows who the previous owner is please get them to contact me
as I have some questions about the cars history etc. etc,?

Rego plate QLD-FPV066
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.

Last edited by cjf; 19-05-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

you loose some or win some, thats why auctions are a gamble....but either way that is still a good buy for a landcruiser.....and dont worry, i bet the wife will get over that....
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
cjf
GT Hardcore

I took the BF GT into Ford dealer's workshop this afternoon straight from the auctions and had it fully checked over and a minor service done no problems at all. Can't wait to take it for a good drive this weekend.
Now I just have to sell my XR8, and keep my wife and my bank balance happy.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Yeah, well it looked an awesome car and as I said it purred like a kitten, Good on ya, I looked on the inside of it and it was like brand new. That's why I couldn't figure out the warnings on the motor , tranny and diff. If they are all good, good for you, you got a great buy I reckon. Yeah, I know what you mean about the auction fee's !!! 7.5 %, bit of a rip off. You dont think about that while your bidding. No , you didn't look seedy !!! How could an AFF member look seedy !!!
Old 20-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Hey buggerlugs,
The BF GT 6 speed auto is a 6/2006 and was $26,100 ( I know because I bought it) very happy with it and it runs & drives fine. Although Im in
the same boat as you,I went way over budget, and I know the reserve on the GT was only $7000 as I know a few people who work at manheimfowles.
One thing that you have to watch is the auction fees ,they slugged me $1800 fee ontop of my $26,100 bid.
I hope I wasn't one of the seedy characters???
plus the RWC, then the extra $450 for the WOVI, then another grand to register it, and as you know the 7% buyers fee.....Throw in a complete fluid change and brembo brake pads for peace of mind over the water damage. As a rule I take 10% off my max bid before I start then factor in any repairs to get a 'good' buy.

This is where people have to go into the auctions with their eyes wide open. An unknown, no log books and written off logged BF with 75000 on it isn't worth the 30k it cost you. You bought it with your heart not your noggin, but in saying that if it fits the criteria of what you were looking for price is a moot point imho. People go to the auctions expecting a steal but (and I am only using cbf as an example) in reality bought a 25k GT for 30 large.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

well said tibbo. spot on.
Old 20-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
plus the RWC, then the extra $450 for the WOVI, then another grand to register it, and as you know the 7% buyers fee.....Throw in a complete fluid change and brembo brake pads for peace of mind over the water damage. As a rule I take 10% off my max bid before I start then factor in any repairs to get a 'good' buy.

This is where people have to go into the auctions with their eyes wide open. An unknown, no log books and written off logged BF with 75000 on it isn't worth the 30k it cost you. You bought it with your heart not your noggin, but in saying that if it fits the criteria of what you were looking for price is a moot point imho. People go to the auctions expecting a steal but (and I am only using cbf as an example) in reality bought a 25k GT for 30 large.
No $450 WOVI as Im in NSW it cost me $50 for the inspection today.
Qld $450 Wovi inspection is a total rip off and not as thorough as the NSW $50 blueslip Inspection.
Old 21-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Well I picked up the ute this arvo and drove it home with a trade plate. Drove like a dream and the boy can't get the smile off his face so it made the whole experiance worthwhile. Already planning the Cape York trip next year.....
Old 21-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #21
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft

Both myself and probally other AFF members looking for a BF GT would like to know where you can get a BF GT at such a low price, or since you seem to know so much about the car are you the other bidder that I out bid ??????
Old 21-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
cjf
GT Hardcore

Great to see you are happy too buggerlugs.
Old 21-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Both myself and probally other AFF members looking for a BF GT would like to know where you can get a BF GT at such a low price, or since you seem to know so much about the car are you the other bidder that I out bid ??????
I watch the auctions every week , don't miss them in case a bargain comes along. I had 11 cars on my watchlist that day and the pick of the bunch was the BF XR6 that went for 11k.
I actually only bid on two cars all day, the BFXR and the HSV Coupe.

There are a few BF GT's with alot less kays sitting in yards and carsales here for low/mid 30's advertised price. Sale price would be a few grand off that. The 30 large your car might cost you is over the money for a repairable writeoff without books.

You yourself said you went over budget, you knew what it was worth to you to be a 'steal' and you went over it. I am not having a dig at what you paid per say, more just detailing the hidden costs that can add up when you bid on repairable write offs @ the auctions.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #24
cjf
GT Hardcore

I was surprised at the price paid for the HSV Coupe I think it made 38 grand,
after the first 30 or so cars went through the price seemed to come back to reality.
Books and history are now sorted, luckily it pays to have a a few good Private Investigators in the family.
Old 21-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it worth hitting up the auctions to find a cheap manual BA/BF XR6? What are the chances of manual cars coming through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #26
cjf
GT Hardcore

Default Ba BF XR6's

Check out the pickles auction web site they have had a lot of finance reposession XR 6 in the last month or so.

http://www.pickles.com.au/
Old 21-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #27
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately all the Falcons there are auto in Melbourne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #28
IanC

I have bought a few cars at the state govt fleet auctions over the years. My strategy is to do lots of homework. I decide exactly what make model and year I want. I check it out in Redbook and in the weekend papers to see what sort of prices they are going for. I go to several auctions over a month or two to check the prices there. Then I decide what is the max I will pay after I have factored in the auction charges, stamp duty, etc. I only bid on cars which have at least one year of new car warranty left and which have fully stamped log books. I check underneath the car for bashes and scrapes. I look for red dust under the door rubbers and behind the bumpers. I won't bid unless it is perfect. When I do bid I know exactly what I will pay and I don't pay one cent over it. If it goes over my price I walk out so I don't get tempted to get into a bidding war. There is always another car coming later. My last car was a BA XT wagon which I got 18 months old for $17900. I have had it since 2005 and am very happy. The main thing is to take lots of time and to know exactly what you are going to do and to stick to it. Even if it takes you 3 months to get what you want it is worth it. It takes a lot longer than 3 months to earn the money you are spending.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #29
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Good stuff, its pretty easy to get carried away in the moment, especially when its your first auction.
I bought my car from a fowles auction, went a touch over but still got one hell of a bargain. Sounds like you did aswell, and that GT sounds like it was the bargain of the year.
Im going to an auction tomorrow to bid, have a few cars in mind but will have to see how it goes. I'm determined not to go over budget!

And the shifty guys you see at the auctions, are the ones who you see buy it for $8,000 and then you see it in a car yard the next day for $15,000.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #30
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC
I have bought a few cars at the state govt fleet auctions over the years. My strategy is to do lots of homework. I decide exactly what make model and year I want. I check it out in Redbook and in the weekend papers to see what sort of prices they are going for. I go to several auctions over a month or two to check the prices there. Then I decide what is the max I will pay after I have factored in the auction charges, stamp duty, etc. I only bid on cars which have at least one year of new car warranty left and which have fully stamped log books. I check underneath the car for bashes and scrapes. I look for red dust under the door rubbers and behind the bumpers. I won't bid unless it is perfect. When I do bid I know exactly what I will pay and I don't pay one cent over it. If it goes over my price I walk out so I don't get tempted to get into a bidding war. There is always another car coming later. My last car was a BA XT wagon which I got 18 months old for $17900. I have had it since 2005 and am very happy. The main thing is to take lots of time and to know exactly what you are going to do and to stick to it. Even if it takes you 3 months to get what you want it is worth it. It takes a lot longer than 3 months to earn the money you are spending.
i second that....being patient and having self control is the key...prior to getting my ride i went to the auctions for about 4months or so...there were numerous cars i fancied ( i was particularly after a futura), but the 4months of waiting paid off as i was able to pick up a fairly new XR for a good price...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post