Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Eibach springs with Koni Reds - good combo?

Thinking of getting Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Koni Reds all round to lower my AU....

Koni's have a lifetime warranty for the current owner of the car....so that can't be a bad thing....

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Dave

Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

That would be my ultimate combination Dave. Definitely do it.

As you know I have the Eibach springs in mine, and swear by them for a mixture of comfort and handling. The Koni's will just accentuate the quality ride more so.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

This is the combo I will be going for in the blue car. Either this, or full XR suspension.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

How much are the Eibach's going to set you back? I've heard good things about eibach but I got kings because they are so much more common, and were convenient to buy.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

I dont think they are that much more expensive then Kings to be honest.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think you`ll like the koni`s, i`ve only done the front at this stage but rears wont be far away.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Konis reds are excellent, Koni yellows are even better.

Springs are springs, just make sure they aren't progressive rate.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

What actually is progressive rate?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
What actually is progressive rate?
A spring which has an initial soft rate, and as the more tightly wound end of the coils compress, it 'progressively' stiffens as the next rate of coils aren't wound as tight.
You can tell a progressive spring from a normal spring by how the coils are wound.
Single rate will have the same distance between coils throughout.
Progressive will have much smaller coil spacing at one end, which happens to be the softer end.

I've never liked progressive springs as they don't provide the same level of feedback which single rate springs do.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thanks for that. So does that mean it has a soft ride when driving normally but hit a fair sized bump and its like youve hit a slab of concrete?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Thanks for that. So does that mean it has a soft ride when driving normally but hit a fair sized bump and its like youve hit a slab of concrete?
That's the theory, but in practise they never feel quite right.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I've just gone through the spring hunting exercise and I couldn't even find a non progressive spring suitable for my needs for the rear of my Fairlane. Good luck finding a lowered non progressive spring that's off the shelf and not stiff as a board.

As for ptogressive not feeling quite right, that's a subjective thing, there'll be plenty of guys on here riding on progressive springs that'll probably tell you they're fine. Having said that, I'm on progressive on the rear and non progressive on the front now and yes it's noticable and doesn't feel quite right. It's going into mild understeer at the apex under load just when you want it to go from neutral into mild oversteer on exit. I'm hoping with a full boot and full fuel load this will go away otherwise I may be forced to look at progressive fronts to match the rears if I want to cure the problem.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 09-05-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

If I may follow this up with a supplemental question - does anybody have those Pedders Sport Ryder shocks? What would they be like compared to the Koni's??
Old 09-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I've just gone through the spring hunting exercise and I couldn't even find a non progressive spring suitable for my needs for the rear of my Fairlane. Good luck finding a lowered non progressive spring that's off the shelf and not stiff as a board.
Try Lovells.
Quote:
As for ptogressive not feeling quite right, that's a subjective thing, there'll be plenty of guys on here riding on progressive springs that'll probably tell you they're fine.
I'm sure they would say that.
However they may also say otherwise if they had the opportunity to try single rate springs.
I've tried both a few times, and have always preferred single rate springs, even on my motorbikes.
But that's just me.
Quote:
Having said that, I'm on progressive on the rear and non progressive on the front now and yes it's noticable and doesn't feel quite right. It's going into mild understeer at the apex under load just when you want it to go from neutral into mild oversteer on exit. I'm hoping with a full boot and full fuel load this will go away otherwise I may be forced to look at progressive fronts to match the rears if I want to cure the problem.
Contact Lovells, that's where I've purchased most of my springs over the years.
Though the last set of springs I purchased were Kings, and they were also single rate.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
If I may follow this up with a supplemental question - does anybody have those Pedders Sport Ryder shocks? What would they be like compared to the Koni's??
Not even close.

Monroe, Pedders, Ultima, Gabriel, KYB, and any other shock which fits the cheap price range is simply not in the same class as Koni, or for that matter, Bilstein.

You get what you pay for.

Edit: Having said that, most of these other brands mentioned, do provide a reasonable improvement over OEM shocks.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Contact Lovells, that's where I've purchased most of my springs over the years.
Though the last set of springs I purchased were Kings, and they were also single rate.
I did, and Kings and Pedders and kept getting the same response when I asked what their spring rate was for a standard height replacement spring. All I got was progressive rates quoted to me. When I asked if they did a non progressive spring I was told they were all progressive these days. I got that answer from Pedders and one of the others but I can't remember if it was Kings or Lovells. Maybe the problem was I asked for Fairlane springs and none of the monkeys can think outside the box for alternatives.
I ended up going with Aurora springs from Industrial Springs in Adelaide. They are still progressive but at least the softer rate is right where I want it and they'll reset them to exactly the height I want them at no extra cost.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I did, and Kings and Pedders and kept getting the same response when I asked what their spring rate was for a standard height replacement spring. All I got was progressive rates quoted to me. When I asked if they did a non progressive spring I was told they were all progressive these days. I got that answer from Pedders and one of the others but I can't remember if it was Kings or Lovells. Maybe the problem was I asked for Fairlane springs and none of the monkeys can think outside the box for alternatives.
I ended up going with Aurora springs from Industrial Springs in Adelaide. They are still progressive but at least the softer rate is right where I want it and they'll reset them to exactly the height I want them at no extra cost.

Bushbasher
Something I find interesting is the OP PM'd me a link to a picture of the Eibach springs he's interested in, and the photo clearly shows a single rate spring. Yet the packing box next to them states 'progressive rate'.
Perhaps the term progressive rate is more markerting BS than the real thing these days.
Which is fine by me if that's the case.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Good stuff guys i was going to go with king springs when i lower my AU some more but now i'm thinking differntly
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

well I'm still more than likely to go with the Eibach's, after having followed blueoval's thread closely after he installed them on his Futura.....hopefully as Sox has mentioned, the whole 'progressive' thing is more marketing these days.....

Watch this space!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

looking forward to your findings dave as well as another opinion.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #21
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

hey guys....just came across this thread snooping around the forums early in the AM he he

Mate of mine (fellow member) with an AU has tried the progressive rate thing. To be honest, he didn't like them and nor did I. As Sox noted they 'dont feel right'. I tried them out on his car and didn't like them one little bit compared to factory XR springs in my EF.

He had Kings Springs low (progressive rate) and the front in particular felt wooden on entry, understeery on exit. He left the progressive rate in the rear and put King Springs Super Low (non-progressive) on the front. Much better. The progressive probably rode a bit better, but not that noticeable.

Also RE shocks. While koni (and bilstein) really are in a league of their own in terms of performance (and price), not all 'cheap' shocks are the same. they may all improve over stock (given many stock shocks are had it) but some do a much better job than others. We tried out Monroe GT shocks in the rear of the AU, then KYB Exel G. No comparison. KYB much better rebound and frankly better ride too. They aren't konis by a long shot but i can vouch for KYBs in my own car too...nice shock that doesn't ride too hard but has oodles more control than a OEM shock. I think pedders sports ryder are just monroes anyway????

Its about finding the right set up for your car...which can take a bit of playing around. Just my views....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I already have a quote for some koni reds, how much are the eibach springs and where do you guys get them from?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I already have a quote for some koni reds, how much are the eibach springs and where do you guys get them from?
try the eibach direct store, cheaper than buying from a retail outlet.

http://www.eibach.ashop.com.au/p/523840/pro-kit.html
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

agreed. buy direct. I paid too much for my springs, but at the time, I couldnt wait. :P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

damn thats a good price!

Cheers guys! I got a quote for the red direct, $560 a set sound about right?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Yeah I got something similar polyal

and yes I intend to use that direct site....$265 shipped to your door, can't complain about that!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

thats a dam good price Dave. Keep us posted

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Got sorted with Eibach springs on the front and Koni yellows all round a couple months ago, pretty decent ride quality even on 18's. Its a bit of a shame Eibach don't make a spring for the IRS rear end, had to go with a Lovell SL
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #29
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

ok the Eibach's are a goer - ordering them tomorrow!!

Also, looks like I will be getting some Koni's....help me out to decide which combo??

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11260268

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 18-05-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

just to follow this up further.......to help out those of us who were asking about progressive rate etc etc...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=62

That is a link to blueoval's build thread - there is a photo of the new Eibach springs he got - clearly look like they are fairly evenly spaced.....its the 6th photo!