Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria > FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

Old 31-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
BennyG
Starter Motor

Default XR6T vs XR8 Utes

Hi Guys,

I currently own a 2006 XR6 ute, and i'm thinking about trading it for a 2005 XR8 or XR6T, and just wondering which of these you guys would go for? Are there pro's/con's of each.

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

BennyG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres so many threads on xr8 vs xr6t,.... do a search.... but in the end it really comes down to personal taste,... test drive both and take it from there
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
BennyG
Starter Motor

yeah i figured there would be heaps of threads on this issue, but i tried searching and came up dry... can you put up some links, or suggest what words to use?

Cheers.
Old 31-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
1970galaxie
Fat 460

It was the bulge in front which got me to buy the XR8 ute of mine!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

it kinda like this...

turbo- faster better handling, possibility of rice noises...
v8- sounds tougher, bonnet bulge....

i went the turbo coz i can always get the xr8 bonnet... and it seems like the most tuneable out of the 2....and the beta engine...and it wipes smiles of the v8 brigade...i luv the 8s but the turbo rush is just great...
test drive bboth ;)
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The turbo is only slightly faster in stock form. The eight goes well enough though and sounds glorious. The turbo would be more nimble than the XR8. My sister's XR6 feels a lot lighter on its feet than my XR8. The steering is also a lot sharper. I would go for the XR8, but it just comes down to personal taste.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
BennyG
Starter Motor

alrighty thanks for the advice guys, through this and some other research, i think i'll go the turbo 6, might not have the noise, but i've owned turbo cars in the past and know the potential, i want to put down 12's and this seems easy in the turbo 6.

Cheers.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
gtfpv
GT

go the v8 . presence, stance, longevity,sound, resale , reliability, and you can get into 12's . a friend traded his xr6 T sedan for an XR8 UTE, he has no regrets at all, he liked the xr6 t with leather seats, but he is having an affair with his v8, ( sad but true)
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
BennyG
Starter Motor

how much work/money is involved to get an 8 into the 12's?

cheers!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyG
how much work/money is involved to get an 8 into the 12's?

cheers!
If you want the CHEAPEST way possible into the 12's out of those 2 cars its a no brainer getting the Turbo. If you want to get into the 12's whilst looking better and sounding tougher and don't mind blowing some cash cause you love your car the 8 ute is the way to go...

On the other hand if you just want something that gets you into the 12's there is an EF xr8 going for around 19k in the for sale section that can get you there (well from what the ad says). That way you get the 8 noise and save heaps more money than getting a new one of either car.

Do you use the ute for putting stuff in or is it just because they look cool? : :evil3:

I reckon your looking at 5-6k min to get an 8 ute into the 12s.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll need 4.11s, stall converter, tune, exhaust, intake to get into the 12s with the eight. The turbo is the way to go if you want cheap power. I have no desire to get into the 12s though. I would be satisfied with a high 13.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
BennyG
Starter Motor

DaveO, definitely like the utes because they look cool... very rarely put anything in the back :P

My problem is, I use to have a car that did low 13's, the best run i did in it was a 13.3, so now the new XR6 feels slow, and i'd love to have an 8, for the sound and stance and all, but worried it may still feel slow...

Such a decision... hmmm.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyG
DaveO, definitely like the utes because they look cool... very rarely put anything in the back :P

My problem is, I use to have a car that did low 13's, the best run i did in it was a 13.3, so now the new XR6 feels slow, and i'd love to have an 8, for the sound and stance and all, but worried it may still feel slow...

Such a decision... hmmm.
I think it's "TURBO time" for you!! : However you should take them both for a test drive before you make your mind up. Try taking an 8 with a full exhaust! They sound and consequently feel like they are going faster without you loosing your license! 6T's are deceptive and don't feel like your going all that fast until you look down at the speedo and go "holy ****!!". I agree about the utes looking great and i'd never put anything in the back of a new one either if i got one.

I wouldn't mind a black XR8 ute with the optional hardlid (which includes the reverse bonnet buldge), the chrome sports bar and tint. Full S/S exhaust with chrome dump pipes sticking out either side of the numberplate wouldn't go astray. Add some 20" powdercoat black wheels with a silver rim and I think you'd be onto a winner!! :
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
I wouldn't mind a black XR8 ute with the optional hardlid (which includes the reverse bonnet buldge), the chrome sports bar and tint. Full S/S exhaust with chrome dump pipes sticking out either side of the numberplate wouldn't go astray. Add some 20" powdercoat black wheels with a silver rim and I think you'd be onto a winner!! :
LOL, someones been thinking about XR8 Utes a bit...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

go the turbo mate :P
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #16
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what your want. Something that has more in common with a muscle car or something that has more in common with a taxi.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^Biased opinions don't help anyone.

For the 12's, go the turbo. Plus you have got plenty of easy (cheaper) potential, better as a performance car, the sound and the feel of the car will probably all new to you (compared to the 8) and it's sort of the 'new thing' to try these days.

But as many have said, you can get hooked on the mean stance of the bulge and the rumbling 8 and never look back. If that's you then your mind is already made. Plus with work done to it, it'll be a very fierce sounding beast.

Both are absolutely awesome, you will be happy either way.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny, I see it the other way. Fence sitting don't help anyone. I bought an XR6T ute but cancelled it before delivery and got an XR8 purely for the fact that I found the turbo boring as a daily driver.

It so happens that I've got a turbo six in the garage next to the XR8 at the moment. 9/10 times I'll take the XR8 over the turbo. In fact I only take the turbo out so the battery doesn't go flat.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #19
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not fence sitting, i'm pointing out the positives of each and he will choose whichever he likes based on what pros appeal to him more.

Maybe thats your problem, you don't get any use out of your turbo. :
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #20
1600GT

just a quick q...

why is so much importance put on just straight line performance??

i mean, who really cares if you have a car that will do 10's, 11's, 29's whatever, when it all comes to nothing if u cant stop or turn it.
thats fine for a dedicated drag car, but seriously, even tho it'll do a good time, u've still got to drive it to the track and back!!

my opinion... ive presently got a BAII XR8 ute, i'm a V8 head thru and thru, and ignoring the mile-long list of things that have played up, stop working, fallen off, or simply never worked properly to start with on it (and yep, is the appropriate colour... yellow... like a lemon), its a great drivers car.
quick and comfortable, and awsome on a trip, but while its a fast car in straight line, its simply not the best under brakes or in a corner.
basicly... waaaaaaaaaaaaay to heavy up front.
the XR6T ute ive driven was just as quick, but it stopped and turned far better.

just my 2c.
cheers.
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
I'm not fence sitting, i'm pointing out the positives of each and he will choose whichever he likes based on what pros appeal to him more.

Maybe thats your problem, you don't get any use out of your turbo. :
lol, yeah I know. Just stirring dude. I'm not saying the turbo is crap, I just find it a little dull. I'm getting a blower for the XR8 in the next few weeks. Maybe the thread starter wants to think about laying down $25K for a second hand XR8 ute and throwing $10K at a blower setup.

Earlier in the week didn't one of the forum sponers crack a ten with a non intercooled blown boss with standard engine, box, and diff.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
BennyG
Starter Motor

thanks for all the info guys, i'll try and make my mind up and hopefully not regret the decision.

cheers!
Ben
Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
falzoony
Rockin '67

Would the turbo be better on fuel? how much better?

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Zamiam
Zamiam

Well I've had both utes - AUII XR8, BA XR8 with mods (headers (I'm in NZ), full exhaust, cold air, big mouth pod filter, enhanced brakes) and now have BF Tornado. The Turbo is so much better - its a lot more refined. As someone said elsewhere on this thread it is a bit of a speed/ticket trap - they are so quick and so quiet that you often don't realise how quick you are travelling.

If you want presence - XR8 - they do sound very nice and the bulge on the bonnet makes them look more agressive.

If you want the fastest/best handling/best of the two - go with the XR6 Turbo. And while fuel economy isn't something I worry about the F6 us around 2l/100km better than the XR8 was.

As others have said - its for you so drive both and decide what you like/want.

Those that say there is no substitute for cubic inches haven't driven an F6
Zamiam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
DBL15
love being blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
Would the turbo be better on fuel? how much better?
no not if you drive the turbo in the boost range

but hey i would go the 8 it will cost you more and you can make it steer and stop just as good if not better then a 6T with the right mods

to get into the 12's well be perpaired for alot more out lay then the 6T but IMO its worth every cent : : :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #26
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Well since this thread is about XR6T ute vs XR8 ute, I thought this would be the oportune time to post up some pics of mine LOL!
If in doubt, the number plate says it.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
Teddy GT

the only problem with the turbo is thats it always sounds like its missing .... {cylinders 2 of them
Teddy GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #28
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
Well since this thread is about XR6T ute vs XR8 ute, I thought this would be the oportune time to post up some pics of mine LOL!
If in doubt, the number plate says it.

dude i just sold my sports bars.... :evil3: now im cut coz that looks friggin tough!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #29
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Thanks. It's amazing how simply lowering the car, and 19" FPV wheels make to the overall look of it. Everything seems to fall into place.
I chose the bar and tarp to break up the colour, rather that having blood orange all over the place with a hard cover and wing.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #30
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF240
dude i just sold my sports bars.... :evil3: now im cut coz that looks friggin tough!!!!
What did i say in your build thread :

That XR8 Ute does look awesome.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post