Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation A SECOND series of motoring TV show Top Gear Australia

A SECOND series of motoring TV show Top Gear Australia is already in the pipeline after its premiere won over audiences.

About 933,000 viewers around the country watched the debut last night, giving SBS its highest ratings for a locally produced television program ever.

SBS head of TV Matt Campbell admitted he was disappointed not to crack the one million mark, but was still happy with the figures, which were higher than any season premiere of the British original.

"It was always going to be a tough call but to come in better than the UK series is quite an achievement," Mr Campbell said.

A second series is now being planned, he said.

"We're in discussions now. We'd like to roll on, obviously, from a production perspective," Mr Campbell said.

"It's been a big challenge. Series two will be a much better series. It always is because you learn so much in the first one."

Last night's episode featured a guest appearance from Australian actor Vince Colosimo and new cars tested such as the Lotus Elise, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 PDK.

Despite the fact the series came third in its timeslot behind Seven's Border Security and Nine's US hit Two And a Half Men, media experts applauded it as a success, especially after it beat Australian Idol on Ten.

Leading media buyer Harold Mitchell said "it's got a very strong and large following which will continue" while Vincent O'Donnell from Melbourne's RMIT University said the figures were "really encouraging".

O'Donnell said its success would lay with whether hosts Warren Brown, Charlie Cox and Steve Pizzati could keep differentiating themselves from the British hosts – as well as win over females.

"The test of the Australian program will be, will it repeat the success of the British program of getting a large female demographic, because in this case, Australian automotive advertisers are going to love it," O'Donnell said.

Campbell said he hoped to crack the one million mark next week with it's Ford vs Holden stand-off and guest appearance from actor Steve Bisley.

"If that doesn't bring in the petrol heads, then there's something wrong," he said.

He also announced actor Jack Thompson would guest star later in the series.

The Australian version is the first outside Britain.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats alot of disappointed people....hehe I think they are counting their chickens a bit early. I wonder if they will continue to release info for next week, or even the third week.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

If they stick to their current formula I think it will tank in the ratings very soon. Give it another week with the Ford and Holden mob and then by week 3 or 4 we should see numbers drop a fair bit lest they change their copying ways.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
phoenix99

they are jumping the gun a bit with a second series before the second episode!
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Will probably end up a flop if they keep it up.... The same fate as Blood sweet and gears
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Optimistic at least, but afew changes along the way and hopefully we will see a 2nd season.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

"It's been a big challenge. Series two will be a much better series. It always is because you learn so much in the first one."
I think most people need to remember this, most hugely succesful shows start off a bit rocky, the fact that they are willing to give a second season a go, means there is every chance it will only improve
Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
XPfalcon170

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
I think most people need to remember this, most hugely succesful shows start off a bit rocky, the fact that they are willing to give a second season a go, means there is every chance it will only improve
exaclty. As others have already said in other threads and forums, the original uk version started off a bit rough, but became the show we all know and love.(Even james may wasn't in the early seasons if i remember correctly)

It is the pilot show, and a few tweaks and changes may need to be done for sure, but whos to say that this australian version wont eventually grab on and become a favourite like the poms?? Give it time.
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

i actually thought it was pretty good for a first night.... though i didn't realise that they were going to MIRROR the UK version (ie: The stage, the camera-work, the stig)....
I would have liked to have seen their 'test track' possibly for an unbroken hot lap (like a continous in car lap, or even a birds-eye view a-la-V8Supercar)...
I didn't think i'd like the guys hosting it, and I thought that they were going to be a bit too try-hard (which i suppose they really were)...

But early in the show I changed my perspective.... especially when that nut drove the Rav4 off the end of the sand dune, hence the introduction of the PUG version of the Rav4 with a pushed in nose...
Same with the reactions when they were in the snow losing control...

I really thought it was going to be, well, absolute rubbish...
but after week one, I think its ok.... not great... possibly not worth 10million bucks....

But definately worth watching again....
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #11
CrankR
XR6 Madness

I'm spewing i missed it!

Especially when my mates at work told me they tested the Rav4 V6, a car i bought 3 weeks ago.

Where can i veiw it now?
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Hopefully Australian Idol coming 4th in the ratings will mean that it goes the same way as Big Brother, never to return.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
falconlover
Bathurst 2007, Ford 1-2-3

Its on Youtube if anyone missed it thanks.
falconlover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I hope they continue to rate well, they certainly cop the "tall poppy syndrome" in here.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankR
I'm spewing i missed it!

Especially when my mates at work told me they tested the Rav4 V6, a car i bought 3 weeks ago.

Where can i veiw it now?
Well, they drove the RAV4 but I don't know what they thought of it... because they didn't really say anything about it other than it had 200kw?!

They do need to differentiate from the UK version but I'm pleased the studio is backing them and even more pleased they beat Australian Idiot.

I think they're on the right track. A few tweaks here and there and I'll keep tuning in.

If you missed the show there are plenty of torrents being hosted right now, so load up Channel BT.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Despite the fact the series came third in its timeslot behind Seven's Border Security and Nine's US hit Two And a Half Men, media experts applauded it as a success, especially after it beat Australian Idol on Ten.
Thats just scary, this means that most of you guys usually watch Australian Idol.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

OK, I keep hearing the same old excuse such as "Top Gear UK ws pretty bad in the beginning"; fine. Considering that to be true and the fact that in the beginning TGUK was actually pioneering something new so should need to find its feet, why is it that a clone of the later, more honed version is not sitting so well with the vast majority of viewers? Could it be that people sense a total rip off and would like to be entertained by hosts they know and trust rather than people trying to copy them? Could it also be that the opportunity cost of TGA is the loss of screening of TGUK? I wouldn't necessarily castigate those who thought it was a cheap knock-off that was sadly deficient in detail and opinion, nor would I critique those who enjoyed it; but I believe that the feedback we provide is inportant for SBS to determine the problems/opinions of the show. For the record I turned it off as it was a little too close to the UK version for my liking, and the presenters looked forced. Warren Brown however is an absolute petrol head, and should be trusted.

Quote: