Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
zakjames

Default Benefits from lighter rims?

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything on this, but was wondering what sort of benefits or gains would be expected when changing from standard heavy XR6 rims to lighter ones?

Curious because all my rims came with very bad gutter rash when I bought the car and was thinking would I be better off getting another set of standards, having them repaired, or getting lighter ones?

Cheers guys.

zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Benefits from lighter rims?

Lighter rims equal less unsprung weight.
Less unsprung weight means your suspension has an easier time in keeping your wheels on the bitumen.
Old 19-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
zakjames

but nothing like quicker acceleration?
Old 19-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

will also help with acceleration and braking, but some of that will depend on what tyres you put on

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
zakjames

coolio. thanks again
Old 19-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

and this is why you don't buy big rims!
rims heavy!
tyres light!
Old 19-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
and this is why you don't buy big rims!
rims heavy!
tyres light!

Not necessarily. I've struck 20" rims that are lighter than factory 17" stuff.

I have also struck some 15" car tyres that are heavier than 20" ones.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Oh, of course thats true svo supporter, but unless they're cheap chinese cracking knockoffs or specifically lightened wheels, they'll be in the absolute minority.

And it is highly likely that 15" tyres will be heavier than 20" ones, but nowhere near the difference they will need to make up for the increase in wheel weight.
Old 20-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a road car? Why bother. Are you drag racing? Might be some benefit there.

Less unsprung weight is a valid point, but how much less exactly? Equal to the weight of the tool kit in the boot? Half a tank of fuel? Or maybe staying off MacDonalds & beer for a month or so? Yes these are sprung weights, but really, how much benefit can there truly be in a road car, unless you are drag racing off the lights?
Old 20-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

I've weighted a few standard steel and alloy 15 inch rims with tyres on, they all come in very close to 18 kg. I weighed one lighter set that were 12 kg. So that's 6 kg saving per tyre, 24 kg all up.
AMB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
On a road car? Why bother. Are you drag racing? Might be some benefit there.

Less unsprung weight is a valid point, but how much less exactly? Equal to the weight of the tool kit in the boot? Half a tank of fuel? Or maybe staying off MacDonalds & beer for a month or so? Yes these are sprung weights, but really, how much benefit can there truly be in a road car, unless you are drag racing off the lights?
It's not so much about performance, but about things like fuel economy. On another forum i read about someone put concrete in someone else's tyres and this killed performance and trebled fuel consumption.
Oh and depending on who you speak to, dropping 1kg of unsprung weight is the same as shedding anywhere between 2 and 10kg of sprung weight.
So on a 'road car', yes it can have a significant difference. For example, an ROH Azzurros in 18x8 form weigh approx 13kg
where as ROH Snypers (for example) in 16x7 form weigh only half as much as azzurros do
So that's 6.5kg per corner, giving you a total unsprung weight loss of 26kg. Even if you say that you've got some extra tyre sidewall mass to take care of, lets say 20kg. Then according to the 'internet experts' that is the equivalent of somewhere between a 40kg and 200kg sprung weight loss. And also according to the internet experts, for every 10lbs of sprung weight loss does the same for you as gaining 1hp, roughly.
So even if we take the 40kg sprung weight figure, that's 88lbs, which apparently is equivalent to 8.8hp, which is about 6.5kw.

So say you buy an old XR6 and fit extractors and azzurros to it, those two mods probably end up cancelling themselves out, from a performance standpoint anyway.

Or so the figures would have you believe.

But at the end of the day if you're after a lithe car with max power to weight ratio then a falcon is the wrong place to start.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 20-06-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

also lighter wheels that are specially lightened are normally stronger yeah?
in a track situation i think is where you would reap most benefits of lightened wheels. but i think they also look pretty sic

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Oh, of course thats true svo supporter, but unless they're cheap chinese cracking knockoffs or specifically lightened wheels, they'll be in the absolute minority.

And it is highly likely that 15" tyres will be heavier than 20" ones, but nowhere near the difference they will need to make up for the increase in wheel weight.

Cheap chinese rims are heavier than normal factory rims. Those things weigh a bloody tonne. You know, the lovely big bling bling chromies that the boy racers love.

As for tyres. Ever lifted a RFT? When you do, then comment on weight difference.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 20-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
zakjames

Cheers for the big write up Hardware, learn something new everyday.
Old 20-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
Mr Hardware

is that right svo
i try and stay away from cheap rims

and yeah rft's are stupid
Old 21-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
You know, the lovely big bling bling chromies that the boy racers love.
maybe commonwhore drivers. but most boy racers aka imports. have lightened rims
;)

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
maybe commonwhore drivers. but most boy racers aka imports. have lightened rims
;)

Not just commonwhore drivers mate. I've seen them on Falcons, Toyotas, Nissans and Subarus just to name a few.

MR HARDWARE. RFT aren't such a bad idea. Just heavy as all hell.

Old 21-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

My 15's from and AU1 Farimont - 17.4kg
16 inch Clover leaves with 215/55 slicks - 16.0kg
16 inch standard BA rims - 20.7kg
17 inch BA XR6 MKI rims - 20.7kg
17 inch BA XR6 MKI rims - 20.7kg
20 inch Chinese chrome rims - 34kg
Old 21-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

i got a shock when i got my convo pros. 15x12 with 325 drag radials by arm i reckon they weigh less than 10kgs, when cold they light up easier than my 215s big differance when they are warm though lol.
My cousin said to me no one would be able to steal them they would be to bloody heavy. I said na man i could juggle them they are that light. he said crap, you don't know how to juggle. He had me, cracked me up proper lol.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thumbs up Re: Benefits from lighter rims?

Quote:
It's not so much about performance, but about things like fuel economy. On another forum i read about someone put concrete in someone else's tyres and this killed performance and trebled fuel consumption.
Oh and depending on who you speak to, dropping 1kg of unsprung weight is the same as shedding anywhere between 2 and 10kg of sprung weight.
So on a 'road car', yes it can have a significant difference. For example, an ROH Azzurros in 18x8 form weigh approx 13kg
where as ROH Snypers (for example) in 16x7 form weigh only half as much as azzurros do
So that's 6.5kg per corner, giving you a total unsprung weight loss of 26kg. Even if you say that you've got some extra tyre sidewall mass to take care of, lets say 20kg. Then according to the 'internet experts' that is the equivalent of somewhere between a 40kg and 200kg sprung weight loss. And also according to the internet experts, for every 10lbs of sprung weight loss does the same for you as gaining 1hp, roughly.
So even if we take the 40kg sprung weight figure, that's 88lbs, which apparently is equivalent to 8.8hp, which is about 6.5kw.

So say you buy an old XR6 and fit extractors and azzurros to it, those two mods probably end up cancelling themselves out, from a performance standpoint anyway.

Or so the figures would have you believe.
A great read,I've been pondering on this question for a few years as I run 18" steel mags all round.... I even bought matching rims for when I go to the drags ( I hate seeing crap rims at the drags ) so I've probably shoot myself in the foot with all that extra load

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
zakjames

I did a bit of reading, but still can't really grasp what a RFT is exactly?
Old 21-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

I have very lightweight rims all round on my BA and the difference was noticeable the first time I rolled out the driveway.The rolling speed pickup in D and off the footbrake increased,the pulsing that my car had through the powersteer had almost but gone.Taking the car around say a 60kmh/r turn was noticeable in my favour compared to the XR8 rims(I now want them back)in regards to effort needed on initial turn in,maybe they aid more performance from the tyre???,up their with the swaybar mod imo.

They just happen to be for sale aswell.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakjames
I did a bit of reading, but still can't really grasp what a RFT is exactly?
Look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire
AMB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakjames
Did a quick search but couldn't find anything on this, but was wondering what sort of benefits or gains would be expected when changing from standard heavy XR6 rims to lighter ones?

Curious because all my rims came with very bad gutter rash when I bought the car and was thinking would I be better off getting another set of standards, having them repaired, or getting lighter ones?

Cheers guys.
You will notice sharper steering and it usually smooths the ride , if they are lighter I went from 16"to 18"rims in a good wheel and they were quite a lot lighter , steering was much better
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post