Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Default Cai - Ba - Au

Hey guys, the old mans E-Gas AU2 has blown the air induction pipe (the ribbed part)

Stupid mechanic quotes astronomical prices to fix simple shi7

Will the BA Induction setup fit the au?

or does anyone have a spare AU system?

Im looking to make it run a lil better so would prefer the freeness of the BA, but dont want to spend the 150-200 od dit would cost to rebuild a 3 inch from supercheap.

Hints tips donations?

Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You might even be able to use an EL elbow on it as well.

I am pretty sure a B-series one should be close ... I have seen B-series airboxes used as well ... mounts needed to be modified from memory.

Got pics of the blown pipe?????
Just to see how bad it is and what can be salvaged.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Ill get some pics tomorrow, not sure how big the split is, but he told mum he would "knock something up", this is mechanic speak for wrap it in duct tape apparently!

i have a spare BA Airbox here, so thats no biggy, but if i can get hold if either spares as a donation id be happy to do a write up on my findings lol
Old 18-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Whilst the thread is still young, Im gunna dump this question in as well

Travveling along doing about 80-110 somewhere in there there is a noise, now old man tells me the CVs are on their way out, but i think this may be driveline?

bump-ba-ba-ba-babu-bu-bump, sounds stupid iknow lol, but it sounds like its coming from right udner the drivers side and doesnt seem to correspond with bumps in the road.
Old 18-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #5
Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
You might even be able to use an EL elbow on it as well.

I am pretty sure a B-series one should be close ... I have seen B-series airboxes used as well ... mounts needed to be modified from memory.

Got pics of the blown pipe?????
Just to see how bad it is and what can be salvaged.
My first post, El series 2 is the one you refer to Mechan1k, off the 'hybrid' engine, a cousin has one. They have the same inlet tract as AU. Hope this helps.
Boss 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the induction question, yes the upper part of the BA intake fits on the AU no problem. That is the setup I am using at the moment. I have the BA elbow and the BA ribbed hose going to a metal pipe and pod in the stock AU box.
Don't think the BA box fits though.

Edit: Also, something I just remembered. If you use the BA elbow piece, you will need a longer hose to go from the breather thing on the rocker cover to the point on the elbow. I actually just used an small radiator hose with a couple of P-Clamps. Seems to work fine!

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
With the induction question, yes the upper part of the BA intake fits on the AU no problem. That is the setup I am using at the moment. I have the BA elbow and the BA ribbed hose going to a metal pipe and pod in the stock AU box.
Don't think the BA box fits though.

Edit: Also, something I just remembered. If you use the BA elbow piece, you will need a longer hose to go from the breather thing on the rocker cover to the point on the elbow. I actually just used an small radiator hose with a couple of P-Clamps. Seems to work fine!

Evan
thanks for that mate

ill get he BA gear and hook it all up and see how it goes.... might be able to secure the box in there somehow.
Old 18-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a worry mate! I think you can secure the box in there no worries, but the bonnet wont close cos the BA box is taller than the AU box. You could trim it down if you really wanted, its been done before.

Here is a photo just for reference. Minus the silver cover.

Evan

Last edited by ClassicAU; 18-04-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 19-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I like the silver colour - very nice.

84RGE - if you're not in any particular hurry for the bits, and you're happy to pay postage, I'm pretty sure I've got a few bits that may help - though you will need to post pics to show exactly which bits are damaged. With all the induction changes I've done on cars over the years, I have about 3 of everything!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Hey JC, thanks for the offer mate, what i really need is the Ribbed section of hose. But i beleive this may be a common occurance with E-Gas models? so im looking at strengthening it a little
Old 19-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU

Evan
URGENT!

Need info RE: This part, can the car run safely without the hose or a fitler for a day or two?
i have the BA elbow on from my Barge and need infro RE: this part!
Old 19-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, there is not an actual part that fits the BA elbow in an AU. What I did was go down to Supercheap and picked up some sort of heater/radiator hose that is actually from a ZF Fairlane! I then cut it to size and secured it using the P-Clamp things. Hope that helps.

Evan
Old 20-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #13
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Well here is the aftermath

Frankensteins Workshop....

The BA

The AU

The BA System matched to the AU

I was shocked that even the bolt holes were in the same place on the BA Elbow! everything fits so easuly, had to stretch the RIbbed section a little but im keeping an eye to see how it goes, might just replace it with a stainless pipe.......

Also has the XR6T Upper Snorkel on aswell (i beleive its the same as the old Tickfrod one anyhow?)
Old 20-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Looks good - does it make any difference?

What induction have you got on the Barge now?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #15
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Looks good - does it make any difference?

What induction have you got on the Barge now?
Barge is currently Inductionless.....

But it will get the same system again (jsut the stock BA one) and ill keep the standard XT Upper snorkel on it.

IT does seem to make a difference, seems like the gearbox is the downside to this car though :(

Can hear the induction really opening up now.
Old 20-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #16
EL__Monty

I just recently got told by the boys in blue to get rid of my exposed big k&N pod filter or receive a yellow canary.

I just rigged this up today with 2 pieces of 3in pipe. Works alright with a k&n panel filter and enlarged airbox exit.(better than the stock piping anyway).

This setup probably be alright for LPG too and would fit an Au falcon, just need to get an EL elbow from the wreckers....

Cheers
EL__Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Whilst the thread is still young, Im gunna dump this question in as well

Travveling along doing about 80-110 somewhere in there there is a noise, now old man tells me the CVs are on their way out, but i think this may be driveline?

bump-ba-ba-ba-babu-bu-bump, sounds stupid iknow lol, but it sounds like its coming from right udner the drivers side and doesnt seem to correspond with bumps in the road.
Sounds like Ball Joints are on their way out dude!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
Sounds like Ball Joints are on their way out dude!
Thought as much, thats ok, dad knew about that one