Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
x-taxi

Default Exhaust removal help

Hi guys

For the past 2 days been struggling to take my exhaust off, its a custom sports exhaust. the problem is, its a 2 peice exhaust and i cant seperate it at all.

the rear part of the exhaust is connected to the mumffler, and held by a clamp, i unbolted the clamp and tried to take it apart, but it wont move. Also all bolts and rubber holders have been removed.

is there another way that this can be done?

thanks

x-taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

Lots of swearing, jiggling, swearing, yanking and swearing.

Then get a hack-saw/angel grinder/oxy torch (careful of fuel tank) and be done with it, and enjoy a celebratory beer afterwards.
Old 23-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

with the AU wagon that we have needed its exhaust replaced, due to the fact that the oxy torch didn't work that the exhaust place guys own (the au stays stock) they undid the clamp mentioned but left the hangars in and then kicked the tip from side to side until they could pull it out.... it worked bloody well and thats how im also going to remove the exhaust on the EF for a new sports exhaust
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
x-taxi

haha, theres never a time ive worked on a car without swearing.

i need the exhasut so i can use it on my other car, so i dont really want to start chopping it.
Old 23-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
x-taxi

xrghiawagon - i might give that a try, so leave the muffler bracket on and kick the back end of it?
Old 23-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-taxi
haha, theres never a time ive worked on a car without swearing.
You're well practised, you'll have it out in no time then... haha.

Lots of back and forth and up and down wiggling then and it should eventually come apart.
Old 23-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

yeah... just leave all the brackets and hangars on and then try to kick it from side to side
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Day-mow
rexnet

I always just used the angle grinder. Great invention they are. Not great for re using it tho unless u want it chopped.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be a bugger but with a lot of wiggling and up/down and sidewards movement should see it come off. As said above this is the best method.

I also used plenty of WD40/RP7 and this seemed to help heaps as there was a carbon build up on the inside which it was grabbing on.

Also, if you plan on using it again you will most likely struggle to get them back together again as when it was done originally the clamp will have squashed the pipe so it may not go all the way back in. I had this problem doing the same thing and my mechanic struggled even with an oxy torch to get it back in right.

Good luck, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post