Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New car stock availability

https://www.caradvice.com.au/966380/...2-say-experts/

Interesting article and true to an extent on availability in this current climate. Being in inventory control for new vehicles a large part of my life I've never experienced what we are going through.

I just wanted to give a few tips on if you are looking for a new vehicle and think all hope is lost. Some models are just not going to happen right now, some however you may be in with a chance.

- always check manufacturers websites instead of carsales etc
- always check dealerships websites

These days actual stock lives more so on these sites and not traditional sites such as carsales, don't believe me, go try it, you'll find stock on a dealers site you won't on carsales.

-get on a waiting list for "fall over" deals

Sometimes, even when everything is confirmed things turn pear shaped for customers, its just life. These cars do appear as available once again for sale!

-get on a waiting list for a demo that may be coming off demo soon.

Eventually demos get old and need replacing, it will just depend on if the dealer is smart enough to have replacements in coming to offload their current fleet.

- ask if any loan cars are coming off loan and being replaced, these sometimes are a good buy with low kms.

This might help someone that is looking for a car
Old 09-02-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New car stock availability

Hi all,

Just in case you haven't noticed, you can now search inventory on Ford Australia's website (as long as the dealer has inputted their stock correctly on their side) Since new Ford's cannot be posted on major car sales websites this is one avenue that may help you find a new Ford sooner. Just a little tip! Will be the second image that changes on their front page.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Since new Ford's cannot be posted on major car sales websites
Why Is that..??
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Why Is that..??
Agreement within the brand.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #5
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Someone should start a small website like Carsales... BUT only showing new and ex-demo cars that are actually in stock at a dealer you can physically buy today.

Soon as they are sold, the listing must be removed.

This business of waiting up to 2 years for certain models is ridiculous IMO.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Hi all,

Just in case you haven't noticed, you can now search inventory on Ford Australia's website (as long as the dealer has inputted their stock correctly on their side)
Which they aren't. There is one new gen Raptor on there but it's not for sale. It's their demo and they don't have one available until November.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Someone should start a small website like Carsales... BUT only showing new and ex-demo cars that are actually in stock at a dealer you can physically buy today.

Soon as they are sold, the listing must be removed.

This business of waiting up to 2 years for certain models is ridiculous IMO.
I cant see how they can be allowed to advertise for something with a wait time like that.. people often turn over cars every 3 years so the car you buy would be outdated by the time you get delivery.

I had a go at Harvey Norman advertising a Samsung TV at a great price, yet they had no stock for 3 months.. so why put it on special. I presume just to get people in the store
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
I cant see how they can be allowed to advertise for something with a wait time like that.. people often turn over cars every 3 years so the car you buy would be outdated by the time you get delivery.

I had a go at Harvey Norman advertising a Samsung TV at a great price, yet they had no stock for 3 months.. so why put it on special. I presume just to get people in the store
My standard op buying procedure this last 3 months is research, decide, call store for stock availability and pay over the phone or online after they have confirmed it's available immediately and they can book a delivery slot

I had to do it this way as unfortunately we have had to buy a washing machine, fridge, tv and vacuum cleaner in the last 3 months....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 01:04 PM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
When I was in retail, it was known as "Bait - Switch" advertising.

The bait - They would advertise a product their competitor had, at a much lower price but never had any stock (or maybe just one or two), getting customers to come into their store first.

The Switch - Then when the customer came in, would say, "Sorry we sold the last one yesterday, and we can't get any more stock".
"But while you are here, take a look at this other brand /model we have which is also at a very good price with similar features, etc".
5 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 01:12 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a sports shoe store famous for it. Would have name brands at huge discounts, but you went in, and in reality, only a few pairs (in clown shoe size or for the tyrion lannisters of this world) were cheap, the rest full retail.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 01:42 PM   #11
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Not helping….
https://www.drive.com.au/news/quaran...cars-stranded/
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 02:23 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It's all a bit of a joke at the moment, I feel like the industry isn't trying to resolve problems because they know by artificially limiting supply it allows them to make better profit on sales having waiting lists for customers out the *** spanning years.

Kinda like OPEC and the fuel companies.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #13
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's seldom any urgent reason someone needs a new car. They just want one. Higher prices are on them for not being able to keep it (their wallet) in their pants.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 03:59 PM   #14
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

The other rarely mentioned problem of a shortage of new cars over the last couple of years, and who knows how far into the near future, is that Australia's existing population of cars are getting older, with people hanging on to them longer.

Couple that with rising interest rates and the uncertainty of our economy in the next 2 years also does not instil consumer confidence in buying new vehicles, even if new stock was not a current issue.

An increasing national average car age in itself can lead to further issues in years to come.
Old 13-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #15
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In regards to all your comments, it is what it is, if you are really wanting to find a car in stock my suggestion is going to the dealers actual website and not car sales. As I said though, the dealer must have someone entering the data so it appears (like car sales anyway, if no one is uploading, no one is seeing)

I hope this helps you find a new Ford sooner!
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2023, 10:42 PM   #16
Struggo

Re stock levels, Mazda has built up more inventory than many others.

Refection of their in-house capability perhaps.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2023, 11:20 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
Re stock levels, Mazda has built up more inventory than many others.

Refection of their in-house capability perhaps.
Australia is one of the few countries in the world where Mazda are popular. For whatever reason, they don't seem to gain traction despite the cars being as good or better than the main competition. As such, Mazda Australia don't have to fight for stock volume like Toyota, Ford or Hyundai ect do.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2023, 11:32 PM   #18
stock1991
Limited supply

As an Australian, Mazda and Ford. it's ok
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2023, 12:00 AM   #19
stock1991
Limited supply

Stock availability, exactly
Old 14-02-2023, 07:14 AM   #20
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Australia is one of the few countries in the world where Mazda are popular. For whatever reason, they don't seem to gain traction despite the cars being as good or better than the main competition. As such, Mazda Australia don't have to fight for stock volume like Toyota, Ford or Hyundai ect do.
It seems that way, brother in-laws wife was in the market for a new car, she was really keen on the CX30, had a couple available, ended up purchasing on the day.
Old 14-02-2023, 02:57 PM   #21
stock1991
Limited supply

I was never a big conspiracy theories guy but the events of the last few years have got me thinking. I want to say "they" who are "they" ? I mean the powers that be, the globalists, the Super wealthy industrialists, whoever has their hands on the levers of the global economy, they understand the principles of supply and demand. Seems to me they have stifled competition. Competition makes things cheaper and more efficient imo. We now have ridiculous situations of people paying more for a 6 month old car that is registered with km's on the clock than a brand new car.

Now people can blame the pandemic or blame the chip shortage or blame supply chains, blame whatever you want. One thing I've learnt is prices never go back after being risen. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the car market ever going back to what it once was. Lots of stock lots of choices and plenty of competition.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2023, 03:14 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The chip shortage was caused by the OEMs when they cancelled all their orders from their suppliers in an expectation that demand for new cars was going to drop off during the pandemic.

So the chip suppliers pivoted towards prioritising orders from the electronics industry rather than the legacy platforms that the automotive OEMs insist on using, so when they came back with their caps in their hands they got told to join the queue.

From a supplier perspective the OEMs are right turds to deal with, I remember telling Ford Australia to take their 60 page supplier agreement and jam it where the sun don't shine - it's all about what you'll do for them but nothing about their responsibility to you.

The OEMs make all these demands and threats, then they'll just cancel all their orders at a drop of a hat and leave you holding the bag.

I got a good one over IVECO where I bent them over with no lube, their actions killed a 100+ year operation and cost Australia a unique manufacturing capability, after they killed this operation they had the gall to go visit and beg to start up their production line again so when I was the only game in town they paid for it - Jesus forgives but Franco doesn't.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-02-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 12:08 AM   #23
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The other rarely mentioned problem of a shortage of new cars over the last couple of years, and who knows how far into the near future, is that Australia's existing population of cars are getting older, with people hanging on to them longer.

Couple that with rising interest rates and the uncertainty of our economy in the next 2 years also does not instil consumer confidence in buying new vehicles, even if new stock was not a current issue.

An increasing national average car age in itself can lead to further issues in years to come.
In my case I am hanging on to my BA wagon because there is nothing on the market these days to replace it. It has lots of space in the back and I use that space every week. SUVs have very little useful boot space. OK it is high but it isn't long. I don't want to pile my luggage up to the roof. The BA is dual fuel so it is cheap to run too and it is lovely having a 4lt six.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2023, 01:35 AM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
Now people can blame the pandemic or blame the chip shortage or blame supply chains, blame whatever you want. One thing I've learnt is prices never go back after being risen. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the car market ever going back to what it once was. Lots of stock lots of choices and plenty of competition.
The bigger the plant, the greater the fixed overheads, and the greater the number of vehicles that needs to be turned out to be profitable. It's fine to raise prices when people are awash with cash and are willing to pay, but with rising rates, tightening consumer spending and falling business confidence, it all points to lower volumes of cars being sold, right at a time the plants are back in business and trying to crank cars out.
Old 15-02-2023, 05:51 AM   #25
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
In my case I am hanging on to my BA wagon because there is nothing on the market these days to replace it. It has lots of space in the back and I use that space every week. SUVs have very little useful boot space. OK it is high but it isn't long. I don't want to pile my luggage up to the roof. The BA is dual fuel so it is cheap to run too and it is lovely having a 4lt six.
Totally agree with you.

I owned a new AU SR MKII wagon for a number of years, and it was the most practical car I ever owned.

From putting a full-size single bed in the back for overnight camping trips to picking up long lengths of timber from Bunnings.

Really nothing on the market today that replaces the mighty Falcon wagons for internal cargo space.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2023, 09:52 AM   #26
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I heard yesterday that the ships are stacking outside Melbourne and even new cars are being put through the quarantine import process which is delaying them even further :(
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 10:02 AM   #27
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I heard yesterday that the ships are stacking outside Melbourne and even new cars are being put through the quarantine import process which is delaying them even further :(
Just go onto the shipping tracker app, you can see how many are lying in wait.
Old 15-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #28
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:

More than 60,000 vehicles are stranded offshore or in a backlog awaiting quarantine clearance at ports around Australia.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/quaran...cars-stranded/
Old 15-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I heard they can only clear/clean 9 cars an hour. Total clusterfk.

They are trying to get more staff but they reckon they are finding it hard to get interested people ie they probably don't pay them squat and wonder why no one wants to work for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 12:19 PM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I got a good one over IVECO where I bent them over with no lube, their actions killed a 100+ year operation and cost Australia a unique manufacturing capability, after they killed this operation they had the gall to go visit and beg to start up their production line again so when I was the only game in town they paid for it - Jesus forgives but Franco doesn't.
Iveco as an entity are a headache to deal with....