Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Default Decisions... Decisions...

If u had a choice:

a) R32 GTR

b) BF II XR6T

c) 15k on your AU

what would you choose and why?

If option (c) what would you do to your AU?

I should be in this position at the end of the year, but my mind changes every freeeeeekin day, has been doing so for the last 12 months...

ATM i am thinking CMS 4.6L + Supercharger

What would i need to strengthen up the auto to handle the 300+rwkw? How much?

I want (a) as i have loved the R32 ever since before Skaifey and Richards pwned the Mountain. Been my dreamcar for nearly 20 years.

I want (b) cuz they are so easy to get 300+rwkw

I want (c) cuz i wanna be different

BLAH!

I know

"dreamer" will prolly get thrown around a bit in the thread But im serious. Joe @ CMS knows im serious, ive told him some of my plans He's willing to accomodate

By the end of the year I will have been saving for nearly 18 months. If all goes well, come September will have my house, so I dont need to save for anything else

If i choose (c) before anything i wanna get the AU 2+ brakes... AU 1 brakes are ****ing me off...

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
low au classic
EA FALCONED

15 k on my au for sure il just clean every little bit up make her run like gold
girlfriend has a r33 nice car powerful good handeling but jump back in the au and theres just something there beautie lol

SVO wheels 16x7 & 16x8
SVO MOMO steering wheel
SVO rear spoiler
SVO dash cluster
SVO RECARO trim
SVO headers
SVO grille
Sounds good pity it hasn’t ran in 3 years
low au classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
dreadly
Banned

$15k on the au hands down. No offence to you or your past 20yr fantasy lol but the skyline has had it's time. IMO Now they just look old and ugly lol and too many tossers drive em. Plus im blue blood till the end.
So what id do would do is be thinking an ba/bf xr6t engine conversion. or a full rebuild on your au with all the good bits and either put a Garrett GT40 on it. front mount intercooler, injectors etc. Or a either supercharger kit?
I heard JMM were doing a stroker kit either 4.6 or 4.8L
Id look at the stroker kit and supercharger kit in the Au personally. As it'd kick *** and be something different and unique. ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Definately 15k on my AU.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
THR347

15k on my AU would be awesome, but i wouldn't know where to start! Realistically however, i'm not sure if i would be bothered with the time involved doing up the AU. Honestly, i'd probably go for the BF xr6T... great performance that's hard to match considering what they're going for now... You should make this thread a poll.
Old 23-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the AU!!!! Get a engine rebuild and super-charge it!!! You should have some change left from 15 grand, strengthen the auto and diff if you can. With the engine rebuild and supercharge with the best part of 15g's you should be able to make a reliable street driven set up.

If you buy a either of the cars A or B you have to start from scratch with mods etc and that mean over 15grand for the car and then another 15grand for mods, its another way to look at it.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Out of those options I'd go the XR6T, the AU will only end up causing heartache.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

another vote for xr6t, easy and reliable power if you dont push them to the limits. and at 300rwkw it will be a well mannered car. a 300rwkw stroker supercharged AU 6 will more than likely be a pig to drive in traffic.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as i love my Fords and my AUs i would choose the R32 GTR if a clean, reliable, good condition one became available. I just think that they are beautiful cars and the RB26 motors is one of my favourite motors. There is plenty of hp to be had with little money and you cant complain with standard 13 second quarter miles anyway. They are even better when done up properly. Back in the day Jeremey Clarkson rated it as one of the best cars he had driven.
Which ever choice you go a, b or c, you will have an awesome car.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

man every man and his dog has got a fast skyline and just about the same with the xr6t go the au, v8 preferably twin turbo dart block stroker shouldn't be to far off $12000 and a bit different imo.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you spend $15K on an AU? It's worth no more than $3K now. You pump $15K in to it, plus time and headaches for a car that's maybe worth $4K in the end realistically if you wanted to sell it in a year's time. Buy a car that's already done.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, please dont flame me for it, any money pumped into a car is a waste of money if your looking at it from a resale perspective. But you alsready have the car, you just need to take it to the next level.

With this in mind, and if your like me and want to have something unique, you are attached to your car and will be prepared to keep your car in the family for a generation for sentimental reasons, then the AU while not worth squat now is the option to keep with, for the following reasons:

You know that car and its potential.
The car is already yours and you know its history.
You know how to handle it.
You know what mods you can and cant do to it.
Parts are cheap to a certain extent.
and it will be unique!

BUT I wouldnt bother with the stroker if I were in your position. Dont get me wrong, Im not against CMS or the kits they will be selling. But there is always going to be the 'unknown' factor. Even though the possibilities for performance are there, you will be basically like a guinea pig for the first batch of stroker kits. Parts will be somewhat expensive until the popularity takes off. I reckon You'll get heart ache mucking around with this kit to get it to work well with an s/c IMO.

What I'd do is Id put the funds into a tough reliable 4.0L with forced induction package. Rebuild the 4L to handle about 400fwkw. Spend some dough building the bottom end up tough and add a snort kit OR look at a xr6t engine/loom transplant. Rebuild the trans, toughen the diff, and add excellent suspension. If funds permit, do paint touch ups or tasteful body mods.

I reckon doing this and doing it right, you'll not only have your boosted dreams in a car you know and love, but you'll have a unique, fun car that shouldnt attract the wrong attention, but will give you great reliable driving on a daily basis.

You'll also be the envy of most of us here. :P

PS. There will be some people here that will disagree with some of the things I have been saying, but remember, this is just my opinion.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #13
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Keep the AU- put 10g back on the house payments, spend 5 cleaning her up and in a few years buy a nicer car (any of your options)- for much less!
Old 23-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Hmmm, if your going to spend around 20-30k on a car (R32 GTR and XR6t), why not just get a T3?
If you dont want to get rid of your car, and want to spend 15 k on it, why not do something completely different, and put an RB25 or RB26, 2JZ, or even the BARRA turbo engine and driveline. Im sure they could all be done for around the 15k mark.
You can pick up an XR6t wreck pretty cheap at the auctions (<$10 000) and that leaves $5 000 to pay a workshop and Ford to put it in and wire it up, shouldnt even cost that much really.
Its a very hard choice Im sure, as the XR6t is wicked, and cheappily modified can net great results and is quite new if you will.
The R32 is one of my favourite cars, and are just amazing all over, the technology in them is amazing, and also, a 12second car stock for around 20k is awesome.
Just my thoughts. Your in a dilly of a pickle.
Old 23-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
Keep the AU- put 10g back on the house payments, spend 5 cleaning her up and in a few years buy a nicer car (any of your options)- for much less!
Do this, or go the XR6T.

Or get that V8 that every young red-hot blooded Ford fan has always wanted.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Go for a) Not many on AFF have a), every man and his dog on here has b) or c).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Meh we all know when you get this modding bug there is no return or recovery, practicallity goes out the window , but who cares its your car your cash, You just have to do what YOU want be cause no matter which way you go there will be Knockers and baggers and them who love it :the_finge Trust me after 40 years of playing and thousands of $$$$$$$ there is no cure .. Me I luv the AU so any thing a bit left of center is how I would go ,something a bit differant. only advice would be dont do it on the cheap as it will end in heartache, thats not to say you have to have the best of evreything. but good quaility parts will be cheaper in the long run .. :
Back to the retirement home for me now :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine has a 500HP turbo six out of an EL, mated to a C4 auto. I think he's got it for sale (car's sold, engine is not). He's a mechanic and he's very good. Lemme know if you're interested in that.

This thing put a lot of other cars to shame in the right hands.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Hmmm, if your going to spend around 20-30k on a car (R32 GTR and
XR6t), why not just get a T3?
Do what this bloke reckons. :1syellow1

Seriously, Option 1 does nothing for me at all. However I'm not you, and if it were me with a love for something like that, I would most likely do it.

Option 2 does even less for me than option 1. B series Falcons leave me very cold.
Again though, I'm not you.

Option 3 is ok, however 15k is a lot to spend on a poverty pack AU1. I would not
consider this option because because it is a povo pack AU1. If I were to work on a
AU, I would start with a better base such as any XR 2/3 (6 or 8, depending on what
floats ya boat).

I also would not consider an auto in whatever vehicle you look at. Manuals are just
better.

Lastly, in all seriousness, I actually do think a T3 is a very good alternative. You clearly like AU's, otherwise you wouldn't have an option 3, or own what you have for as long as you've had it.
They go like the clappers in standard trim.
They have plenty of room to increase many aspects of performance.
They will hold there value quite well (much better than option 2/3).
They are different.

Anyway, just my ramblings.
BTW, did I mention get a manual. :Up_to_som
Old 23-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #20
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(a) is too old and probably ready to fall apart from 20 years of abuse

(b) would be my pick. nice and new, easy to get more power, or just drive as is

(c) you would never go close to recovering the cash, even if you don't intend to recover it $15k is a lot to spend on a 10 year old car that will always be an ugly au falcon and if you sell it people will still want to pay less that $10k for the car.

just my 2c
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'd love an R32 GTR, but having a few mates that have/have had them I know that at their age now, they can be at times an expensive daily driver. Still they represent bargain performance motoring, and who cares who drives what (in reference to everyone saying tools drive them these days) - just do whatever floats your boat.

XR6T wins hands down IMO if bulk power is what you want. This is the option I'd choose.

15k modding an AU1 povvy - for me no. Once again though, you should do what makes you happy!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
dreadly
Banned

I think mont 5.0's got the right idea? Spend 5k on the car put 10k on the house... and in a few years get a ba xr6 turbo for around 10k?
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
Cam
Stroking it...

If it was my AU in the scenario?

15k would buy me a aftermarket block and a decent gearbox...

Decision made.....
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #24
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Out of those options I'd go the XR6T, the AU will only end up causing heartache.
when you spend all the money aand have to sell it :( lol

but i would do it again lol

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just over a year ago I started looking at buying another car, test drove an xr6t but compared to the au the steering just felt too heavy. I know after awhile I'd get used to it but still in the end decided to poor my cash into the AU, full 3" system, supercharger, new lsd and diff gears and all the other odds and ends, end result is a car thats an absolute ball to drive. Now I am living somewhere that doesn't have a carport or garage and I have a company car, been thinking about selling it as it just doesn't get driven enough, if I do go ahead with selling it I'd be suprised to get $7k for it, thats half of what I have spent on it in the last 12 months, a quater of what it has cost me over the last 2 years. No way in the world would I consider doing this again, there are plenty of other hobbies you can find that don't cost anywhere near as much.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #26
Pepe_17
AU XR

Mate gotta be an Xr6t, if not a 220 with a couple grand on top would go hard. You could push 300rwkw no dramas in a Xr6t, plus ford are made better than that recycled Jap Crap! no offence. Reliable, safe, stylish, powerful..wot more could u ask for..

Good luck! GO with your instinct lol.

GALAXY BLUE
Pepe_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #27
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That or go middle of the road and get a BA XR6T. Six months back they were going for as low as $8000 and can easily be had for not much more than $10,000. With mine I spent about $1500 on exhaust modification, flash tuner with 10psi tune, and bigger FMIC. Was plenty quick even in that low state of tune.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe_17
plus ford are made better than that recycled Jap Crap! no offence. Reliable, safe, stylish, powerful..wot more could u ask for..
I've owned dozens of cars, and every jap car, whether it be a lowly econo box or an import quicky of some description, has been perfectly reliable, and about a million times better built than any Falcodore I've ever owned.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
That or go middle of the road and get a BA XR6T. Six months back they were going for as low as $8000 and can easily be had for not much more than $10,000. With mine I spent about $1500 on exhaust modification, flash tuner with 10psi tune, and bigger FMIC. Was plenty quick even in that low state of tune.
Seriously only around $10k?!?!

Hmmmm... Now that is interesting...

I thought even the BA's were closer to 20. I must do a tad more research cuz if that is the case, it'd be a no brainer and i'd go that BA

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

i haven't seen a standard xr6 for under $12000 let alone a turbo, they must be a bit crap for $8000 to $10000. for that kinda money we'd all have one wouldn't we?
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post