Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Danny
GT4.

Default Some advice please.

Hi guys,

Its almost that time where I will be thinking of selling the Renault. As perfect as it has been, I'm just shocking with vehicles, and lose ineterst. 4 years of ownership of the Clio is now my record and it's a credit to the wonderful fun, quick little thing it is.

That aside, I'm after some advice. See, I am very close to putting in an order for a VW Golf R DSG (sorry guys, but i'm in no way interested in the Focus RS). I've heard so many fantastic things about the DSG, however I've never had an auto car as my "fun" weekender. I've test driven a DSG and loved the blip on kickdown, the quick changes, the popping fart on the upchange, and the paddles which change the instant you touch them. But I am not sure if that was novelty or not.

I love the fact that DSG is nearly .5 to a whole second quicker than manual (even with experienced drivers) and that DSG has launch control for flawless launches (which may be a godsend in an AWD turbo) and better economy. MOTOR mag pulled a 5.3 0-100 time in the DSG which is pretty great (along with an APS package for around $8-900 that has them doing mid 4's to 100), coupled with the fun of the paddles and the quicker times it is capable of, I find myself struck with a dilemma; Is that worth losing that thrid pedal? I have owned manuals right from the begininng. The utes are both 6 speed auto and they are fine as I work out of them and tow trailers, but they still are not a great kick to drive spiritedly (mainly due to not being able to drop a clutch, which in a AWD vehicle wont do a great deal anyway). DSG is also $1500 on top of the RRP.

Whose had experience here? All I had was the ole 20 minute test drive at Sth Yarra Dub, and was very impressed. However was it just 20 minutes of novelty that will wear off, and I will find myself wishing I had gotten the manual even for its lesser figures? That is what I am worried about.

Also, anyone here know of the FF equivalent for VW owners? I'm not sure what the most popular Dub forum in australia is.

Cheers all.

-Danny

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

20 minutes test drive for such an important decision is not enough IMO. Show them that you are a serious buyer and try to arrange a longer test drive where you take away the car for a few hours.

I remember a dealership offering overnight test drives with certain terms and conditions, not a bad idea when you're spending a lot of money on a vehicle that you want to enjoy driving, not mearly take you from A to B.

If you were buying the car as a spirited performance vehicle then go the extra step and get the better box. You have said it offers better performance while giving greater economy (win-win) and it isn't all that much more for what you are getting.

I have a Citroen with a sensodrive box, while not as advanced as the DSG I do like it over a regular manual and like the padles behind the steering wheel. It almost never gets driven in auto mode.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have a good friend with a Golf GTI with the DSG and tuned by APR, that car is sensational and I am sure you will not miss a true manual. I have driven his through some very spirited drives through the Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious area (lots of nice bends) and it is sensational, to the point I think I actually like driving his Golf more than my turbo Mini.

But, like has been suggested, get a longer drive as it is clear you are not just buying a mode of transport and you want to get it right.
Old 24-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

VW watercooled
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Thanks guys Anyone else had any experience with VeeDub?
Old 25-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

My mate just bought a polo GTi a 2005~ model we drove it from Melb to Bris and i couldnt fault it at all build quality is excellent and overall a great little car.

Ive heard that service costs can be quite hefty though, cannot confirm though
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/Site/Welcome.html
Old 26-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Guys I just spent a good hour burning round in an r36 passat DSG and then a Golf GTi DSG and have to say that the fun of the paddles eventually began to lose it's lustre. My oh my what an amazing bit of kit the dsg is. And I would miss the perfect launches but I honestly reckon I'd miss a manual. The extra premium for a DSG I can go without as it will probably bring the car into the LCT bracket. But still I'm torn. When I get the APR chip I'm sure it will be a cracker anyway.

Damn VW for designing te DSG!!!
Old 27-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In all honesty, an awesome auto is still an auto.

Nothing can compensate for awesome manual downshifting, sliding out the clutch, moving the shifter etc.