Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lancer first service

Just took our Lancer GSR 2.4lt in for it's 1st service @ 1500klms & they didn't change the oil. They don't change oil until 15000klms.
I reckon that's way too late so I'm thinking of doing it myself.
What do you think ?
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Lancer first service

For piece of mind just buy the specific oil yourself and go to another mechanic and ask them to change it. Wouldn't set you back all that much.

The first 'service' is just a quick going over. I think most brands these days don't include an oil change at 1500km.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai advise oil change at 7,500kms after the 1500km check. Otherwise it's at 15,000kns.
Old 14-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Isn't it funny how different car manufacturers can be.... I was reading about a new car last week (Jag???) that specifies an oil change at 2yrs / 36,000 km. My diesel oil is black driving out of the dealership after a change, hate to see what it becomes after 2 years.

I wonder... what other brands use that exact same engine and what do they specify???

Then some cars specify half that or less. When I had my diesel Focus the service guy really pushed the interim 7,500 services as a 'must do' and told me all sorts of stories of engine damage and sludge build up as a consequence of stretching it to 15,000.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just checked my service logbook & Ford wanted to change my FGF6 oil at 1500klms.
I dumped the running in oil at 1500klms & went full syn.
Ford suggested 3k & 7.5k look but not oil change.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This 15k oil change business is marketing over engineering.
If you plan on keeping the car for a while then get them to change the oil, it is your car after all.
Bill.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I do my TDCI Focus every 10,000km instead of 15,000km.

15,000km is too damn long, good full synthetic oil is cheap insurance.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Hyundai advise oil change at 7,500kms after the 1500km check. Otherwise it's at 15,000kns.
You need to differentiate here whether Hyundai or the dealer told you this. Hyundai would recommend 15k under normal driving conditions or 7.5k under severe.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The first service on my cars have always been free and are just a general check therefore the dealers aren’t prepared to incur any cost like that for an oil change, they’ll wait until a service comes up where the owner pays.

I always request an oil changed on the first service and pay for it myself.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Should have read the service book first and you would have known the first checkup is nothing but a quick look over lol,thats why its free,just pay them to change it...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
satria
FOXWHO

The way I see it, if the service book says no oil change why would I pay for one? The car will still be under warranty.

I suppose my mentality makes sense to me at least because I've purchased the last car with a 5 year warranty and the current with a 7 year warranty. So yes I keep my car for long periods but I'm not going to pay extra for unnecessary oil changes if the manufacturer suggests 15,000km's intervals. To be honest I couldn't care less if the engine blows up because it won't be my problem.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

servicing at 15,000km will get the car through its warranty period but not much further
if you are keeping the car or want decent resale do it at 7,500. I do mine at 5,000 but they are all older engines and i use semi basic syn oil and off the shelf filters
using full syn and premium filters i'd push to 10,000 max.

when i had my fiesta i serviced it from new at 7500km as the book said with sustained high speed driving should be at 7500km

i only service my GT every 12 months but i might only cover 2000km and i use a good semi syn and premium filter

i get oil for free so i only pay for filters
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I'd suggest taking it to a trusted mechanic for it's 7500km service. I took my Triton to Mitsibishi for it's 1500 checkup, and it apparently passed.

I went to a mechanic I trust for the 7500 service and he found that the diff oil levels were low, and needed a litre to top up. There were no leaks, so it wasn't filled at manufacture. It ight not sound like much, but I could have been looking at a diff failure down the line because Mitsi took it for granted it was okay.

The Triton service schedule means the air filter only gets changed at the 45,000 service, even though mine had a dirty air sensor at the 30,000 service, which to me meant the air filter wasn't working...

If I was going to keep it past the warranty, I'd pay for an air filter each service.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I'd suggest taking it to a trusted mechanic for it's 7500km service. I took my Triton to Mitsibishi for it's 1500 checkup, and it apparently passed.

I went to a mechanic I trust for the 7500 service and he found that the diff oil levels were low, and needed a litre to top up. There were no leaks, so it wasn't filled at manufacture. It ight not sound like much, but I could have been looking at a diff failure down the line because Mitsi took it for granted it was okay.

The Triton service schedule means the air filter only gets changed at the 45,000 service, even though mine had a dirty air sensor at the 30,000 service, which to me meant the air filter wasn't working...

If I was going to keep it past the warranty, I'd pay for an air filter each service.
This times a million.

Missus Lancer went in last week for its 30,000km service and I noted they cleaned the air filter instead of replacing it. Also noted that the brake fluid was replaced and the pads were only 10% worn at the front and 5% at the rear. I found that strange cause we do a lot of high speed braking from 100km/h and the pedal still feels spongy to me.
Old 15-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #15
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
servicing at 15,000km will get the car through its warranty period but not much further
if you are keeping the car or want decent resale do it at 7,500. I do mine at 5,000 but they are all older engines and i use semi basic syn oil and off the shelf filters
using full syn and premium filters i'd push to 10,000 max.

when i had my fiesta i serviced it from new at 7500km as the book said with sustained high speed driving should be at 7500km

i only service my GT every 12 months but i might only cover 2000km and i use a good semi syn and premium filter

i get oil for free so i only pay for filters
I mean this in the nicest possible way but I think that is a load of bs. We had a 2.4L Lancer (same engine as the OP) and the warranty period expired at 5 years and we kept that car for 6.5 years. It never missed a beat till the day we sold it and knowing the current owner it is still going strong.

If 15,000km was such a bad thing for modern engines I doubt KIA would be providing a 7 year unlimited km warranty on it's range because surely with old school mentality the engine should be cactus by that age. I stand by my thinking though, if it blows that's fine because I won't be the one paying for the replacement.

In the end, just my opinion based on my experiences.

Also, after using 3 different Mitsubishi dealerships for the servicing over the life of the Lancer and then finding a good reliable mechanic and now using him for our new car I would suggest to everyone to find a good mechanic and use them. Not only cheaper but the feedback on the service is much better and more reliable.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if people posting here realise that 'normal' wear and tear is NOT covered by warranty.

Catastrophic engine failure may be covered if it was due to a manufacturing fault.

Fresh oil is cheap, why not keep fresh oil in your engine to protect the biggest personal investment you have, (or second biggest if you own a house).

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #17
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I wonder if people posting here realise that 'normal' wear and tear is NOT covered by warranty.

Catastrophic engine failure may be covered if it was due to a manufacturing fault.

Fresh oil is cheap, why not keep fresh oil in your engine to protect the biggest personal investment you have, (or second biggest if you own a house).
I don't think a dead engine within a warranty period that has been serviced according to the manufacturers guidelines is normal 'wear and tear'. Outside of the warranty period I agree wholeheartedly but not within.
Old 15-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

read the service book, if it states 7,500km intervals are required for prolonged towing or high speed driving and you make a claim and you have a towbar or they can prove you towed or went on a freeway they can deny you or make it very difficult for you
Mitsubishi denied my dads 8 month old ex cop Pajero for an oil leak as they said there was evidence of a previous repair and no written evidence as it was done by the police approved repairer not mitsubishi,
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #19
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria View Post
I don't think a dead engine within a warranty period that has been serviced according to the manufacturers guidelines is normal 'wear and tear'. Outside of the warranty period I agree wholeheartedly but not within.
You are correct, but there are a million circumstances, at the end of the day I would rather fork out for an oil filter and five litres of quality oil than argue over a warranty claim (for my own personal car).

I had a Toyota dual cab 4x4 Hilux work vehicle (driven by me exclusively, it was my company car), driven at highway speeds 90% of the time, no stop and go traffic have catastrophic engine failure at 45,000km, was serviced as per log book since new.

So it does happen at times.

Funny thing is that car got picked up yesterday arvo as it clocked up 90,000km and is being replaced with a brand new one today (should hopefully be in my driveway by late this arvo or tomorrow morning), love that new car smell especially when it's free

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the norm, oils are a lot better these days. They will use synthetic oil in your car. It was same with my focus, the 1500km service is just to check see if everything is ok and it's optional.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
Mitsubishi denied my dads 8 month old ex cop Pajero for an oil leak as they said there was evidence of a previous repair and no written evidence as it was done by the police approved repairer not mitsubishi,
agree with dealer on this sorry, even if it annoys the hell out of me to say it.
it had an oil leak and was repaired by a mechanic.
it re-leaks it is the problem of the mechanic who did the repair.
if the repair was done by mitsubishi dealer then yes any other dealer should cover as part of warranty.

warranty covers manufacture faults not workmanship of an independent mechanic.

to op almost every new car comes with first oil change at the first proper service, most are now 15K now afaik.
the 1500km service is just paper shuffling I doubt most even get looked at properly.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #22
STINKY NINJA
Banned

$100 roughly is all it costs to do oil and filter on a 4 cyl mivec motor at the dealership...
Done it to both of my new lancers,2015 ralliart and 2010 active.
Do it.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

How many people preaching these long service intervals have done oil samples to back up your claims? Most synthetic oils start degrading around the 7500km mark.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its funny how things have changed over the decades, in days past though my memory is getting a bit faded , i remember the first service 500 k inspection and i think, i cant recall if there was an oil change in there or not ??
but was still pretty much just a check over , and the second service was at 1500 was quiet a bit more involved with oil/filter , a fairly decent check to make sure every thing was working as it should and also head bolt re torque.

Personally i like the idea of servicing a bit more often , if it may help me get 15+ years and still running well out of an engine , it might be worth while in the long run ???
who keeps their cars long term ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
How many people preaching these long service intervals have done oil samples to back up your claims? Most synthetic oils start degrading around the 7500km mark.
I used to do oil samples in my old WRX. I was using Motul 300v 10w-40. Changed oil every 6 months around 10K. Oil was till just fine.

In my XR50, I just follow the service schedule. Car is running great. Has done almost 70K now in almost 4 years.

Plenty of cars on the road going great being serviced as per the book. Some owners like to do it more often. Good for them. Whatever makes the individual happy is what counts. If Ford says oil needs to be changed every 15K, then I'll go with that.
Old 15-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #26
66GT

My wife got a new Lancer in 2012. Yes did the 1500 check, & every 7500km service since. Almost 60000km & no issues except the original tyres will require replacing soon. Hopefully all will keep going well. Shouldn't hurt to service every 7500.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember being amazed when we picked up the G6E and the service guy said...when I noticed it didn't have an auto transmission dipstick...that the oil "was good for the life of the car"...
My response...?

Come on...oil degrades, all oil does.

Of course they say most people only keep a car for three years at the most now before buying another new one...very few are expected to keep them for a decade or more so who the hell cares about the second owner?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #28
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manufacturers specify longer oil change intervals due to better oils , tighter engine tolerances and other technological advances. No one questions spark plugs that last 100k or led brake lights that will probably outlast the car. Chances are is if you are changing oil every 5k on a modern car you are probably throwing out perfectly good oil.
Truck engines work harder than most cars and their oil change intervals can be as high as 50 000 miles. There are many factors to consider as to how often to change the oil but for every day modern car with average use pattern and quality oil 10k is a pretty safe bet.
Some interesting reading here - http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ange-intervals
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #29
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

found a chart for landrover ZF auto transmission that gave service life graph with time V temp. Un able to open the links due to internet speed.

the higher the operating temperature the rate of oxidation increases .

driven in normal easy conditions the oil lasted around a decade. over heated it lasted months.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #30
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mum owns a 2010 ish lancer 2.4. I had a first years service-and I think the oil been change a few times since. and a fewer oil filters. I now has more than 120 000KM-last time I looked- and runs like a dream.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post