Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What Is Your Position? Please read carefully...
I love Fords in general and love discussing them on this forum 120 51.72%
I love Falcons only and love discussing them on this forum 40 17.24%
I'm partial. I don't mind Fords and I don't mind Holden's 58 25.00%
I love Holdens and will probably never buy a Ford. I just want to join the Ford discussions 3 1.29%
I used to love all things Ford but I'm swinging more towards GM-H now as I prefer their product 7 3.02%
I used to love all things Ford but I'm swinging more towards GM-H now as I prefer their marketing 2 0.86%
I used to love all things Ford but they currently don't have a car which suits my needs 12 5.17%
I don't really like either Ford or Holden. I just like joining in on this sites discussions 5 2.16%
I'm scared that the Falcon will soon be no more, so I'm starting to swing the General's way 9 3.88%
Other - details if you can... 13 5.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Interesting Observation About Site Topics...

Howdy,

After getting back onto these forums on a more regular basis than before (there' less to do at work ) I've noticed that, for a Ford forum, there seems to be quite a lot of "Holden" related threads, not to mention Ford bashing.

W427
Sportwagon
Fuel incentive
Advertising
VE "anything"

It's bloody annoying.

But not only that, there seems to be quite a few who are 100% certain that the Falcon is doomed, it's going FWD, FG is ugly, FG is the last model Falcon, BA is better, FG isn't selling becuase a few people aren't seeing them on the road, etc, etc, etc.

So I've started a poll to see if I can nut out the problem.

Just click the box that applies to you.

Last edited by FalconXR6; 12-09-2008 at 01:43 PM.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no poll

and me thinks the reason theres so many threads about it is because ford aren't doing anything to compete..

other then the usual "packages"
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Boosh Brus

no poll
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah.
Poll's up now.

I also forgot to mention the consistent dealership bashings as well...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No poll needed.....
IT' BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL BECOMING A BUNCH OF BIG GIRLS BLOUSES WHO FORGET IT'S NOT A CWA MEETING!!

FORD is the best motor vehicle in OZ and always will be!!!
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i voted for "I love Fords in general and love discussing them on this forum " BUT i dont like the marketing ford do, or lack of thereof. and theres alot of people that have had problems with Ford service whether its sales or service dept
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I reckon half the reason is there are many on here who are NOT one eyed....

I love my XR, but I can appreciate the VE for what it is...and the future is anyone guess and we're all free to speculate

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
i voted for "I love Fords in general and love discussing them on this forum " BUT i dont like the marketing ford do, or lack of thereof. and theres alot of people that have had problems with Ford service whether its sales or service dept

I'm probably more a lover of cars than the lover of any one brand....It just so happens that, since I started driving in 1979, all I've owned are Fords...Probably 10 altogether.....so i've taken an interest in the model I've owned.

The way I see it Ford and Holden are in the auto industry concentrating on similar markets....the large family car segment as they have done in Australia and NZ since the FJ Holden...We had the Valiant there for a while to and it was a sad day when Chrysler stopped making a large Aussie family car in late 79.

I currently have a BA as I just love this model....Probably the best thing Ford has produced in Australia since the XA in 1972. However who knows what I may buy next...If when I next update the Holden has more appeal to me than the Ford prodduct I'd have no hesitation in moving over.

I still maintain that most blokes on these forums would be driving Holdens if there was no such thing as Ford. They're probably our 2nd favourite car although most of us would never admit it. Considering the alternative is Japanese cars which most of us find unappealing and boring and Euros which are probably out of the price range of most here...what else is there?

I actually joined the LS1 forums a while ago and I have had no crap dished out to me because of the fact I own a Ford....In fact I was given a good welcome and had some nice comments about my car when I introduced myself. There's some good blokes over the other side with similar interests to us

I think the Ford v Holden staunch hatred attitude is only held by a small minority.

Ford servicing can be a pain I agree...but there's been some worse stories from a certain Holden dealer of late...stacking a guys Monaro

Anyway this thread will be interesting
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I like Fords, i always have and probably always will but to me they aren't the be all and end all of the automotive world. As long as its not a Holden or a rotary i don't care what badge is on it as long as it appeals to me and fulfills the criteria i have of a car thats what i will buy.

Realistically unless it was a MK1 Capri GT, Svt Cobra or Foxbody 'stang i probably won't buy another Ford.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
xy500
Constant annoyance

its a funny thing, to like ford so much, that it concerns you that people talking about ford maybe not being as good as they could, or that in fact other vehicles may have redeeming qualities as well as ford.
a car is a car, i dont care what badge is on it, but i care how it drives.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
burnz
VFII SS UTE

here i'm thinking their's more holden bashing....(VE...~...W427)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like either. I don't have either though because I found another car that I thought offered me what I want for what I wanted to pay.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I like Ford cars, have done all my life.
Owned Falcons and other makes.
I am not biased or one eyed, I'll drive anything but a Toyota ;)
I won't buy a Ford just because. I'll buy anything that fits my criteria and happy with.
The Falcon isn't something I would go back to after my experiences with them.
As for Ford, I am a realist, not a head in the cloud fan. Ford are in trouble and unless they do something about it there isn't going to be much left of them.
I won't buy a Ford (or local product) in sympathy. They need to be able to win me over with a decent product first.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm really into Falcons (and offshooting FPVs) more than anything.

Everything else is a four cylinder, or an SUV, which I am not overly interested in.

But I am also partial to Holden, although I dislike the look of the VE sedans immensely.
I drive a VTII. No issues in 8 years.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a convert, was a holden kid but jumped ships, i will always support Ford in motor racing, and i'd own a Holden before i ever buy a toyota or bitsamissin
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I live in a Holden dominate country and its nice to go someplace where you don't have people who get offended when you refer to the Commodore as a bucket of spoiled a%$@
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
68XTFairmont

I love early fords, anything pre 80 does it for me. I lost a lot of interest in fords when they dropped the V8 and if they drop it again I will never look at buying a brand new ford.

At the moment I drive an SS commode because I couldn't afford a GTP at the time, It filled the niche that I was after at the time and I have really enjoyed driving it regardless of the Badge on the front. When it is gone I will miss it almost as much as the old XB GS coupe I once had.

Anyhow back to the question, Why so many posts about Holdens??

Because Holden and Ford have always been Major competitors with each other and people can see that Ford is lacking something at the moment, Whether it be Marketing or product range that is missing the closest thing we have to compare to in the Australian Market is Holdens like it or not.
68XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you missed an option:

Im a (insert brand here) Troll who masquerades as a non partial enthusiast and i like to bag anything Ford because its a good stir.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Personally i like cars all together, Ford just seem to make more cars that I really like than any other car manufacturer, Personally i would happily drive many other cars, so long as it didn't have a Toyota badge (the Evil Empire!) or wasn't an overpriced GM Daewoo/ Holden.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #20
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

What's wrong with people discussing Ford's competition? What's wrong with pointing out flaws in Ford's product. I see it as a sign of a healthy forum, that isn't full of one-eyed Ford fanboys running around like little twerps dismissing anything with a Holden badge. The truth is, Holden offer exceptional products - as do Ford. ("products", referring to the Commodore family, not their Daeowoo crap). People's opinions need to be respected - if some Ford fans dislike the new Falcon, there is nothing wrong with them discussing it on a discussion forum.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
I like Fords, i always have and probably always will but to me they aren't the be all and end all of the automotive world. As long as its not a Holden or a rotary i don't care what badge is on it as long as it appeals to me and fulfills the criteria i have of a car thats what i will buy.
Clearly a Holden badge on a car is an important criteria. _
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #22
snakeoil
Snake Oil

OZmale42 and 4V......................very entertaining

Holden marketing does dominate in OZ as it does everywhere else but i think the time will come whereby we will have to join forces against the real enemy which is anything not owned by the Americans
Just remember Holden lovers FX 215 was a buick reject and was forced upon Holden by Sir Robert Menzies where as Ford where the first to mass produce V8's globally and invented the Ute thanks allegedly to a farmers wife.

Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Clearly a Holden badge on a car is an important criteria. _
eh???
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #24
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I do not see a problem with forum content, because 99% of all discussions are in a context that focuses on Ford in one way or another... Sometimes in quite interesting ways!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #25
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I personally am a HOLDEN person but......

They just don't have a product to suit me.

I am 6'1 so the c'dore wagon for me is really uncomfortable and cramped so I brought a BA and it was perfect for me.

Then I downsized to a focus........

I looked at all the small cars of that size and attempted to test drive them all in 1 day. I drove Astra, Focus, Civic but "the corolla was out on a test drive" I came back a couple of hours later "I told you, you can't take it for a test drive" so best of the bunch was focus.

(Admittedly if I had of been able to drive corolla i am 99% sure I would have brought that)

But to answer the question 5 paragraphs later lol I am only here because the ford cars fit my needs and wants best at the moment but as soon as we sold the fords I wouldn't be here

But when I turn 25 next november it will be a HSV all the way.
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #26
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like both ford and holden, driving a falcon and loving it makes me a fair bit more ford biased though, I know a lot more about ford products then holden.

Ford runs in the family

I'd have a current GM 8cyl over the ford 8cyl product, but I love xr8's with blowers.... arrrgh!!
Old 13-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #27
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I like old cars in general, but old fords in particular, new cars all seem to be appliances in the same way. The new falcon is a good car, but for some reason its just hard for me to get that interested in it.

Next model needs to be lighter, smaller looking, and look more like an Australian made muscle-car to make me happier with it. So quite a big drift from the directions they've been going lately.
Old 13-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #28
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Big ford fan here!- will never be able to afford a brand new Ford. So i buy 2nd hand Fords, as new as i can get. I have always found them easy for parts, easy to work on and good value for money. Never really liked commodores (although 99% of my mates do). Obviously i voted for number 1 in the poll.
Old 13-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

In 1970, my Dad was trying to trade an FC Holden for a Kingswood 253 V8. The Holden dealer was going to give him peanuts for the car and not discount the Kingswood.

My family's Ford loyalty began right there.

The Ford dealer gave Dad a great trade in and deal on the XY Falcon 500 250ci and every car Dad bought after was a Ford.

He's passed away now, but I took hold of his bias. Every car I have bought has also been a Ford.

1. 89 Laser (had it for 13 years!)
2. 95 Laser (had it for 5 years)
3. 99 Futura Wagon (had it for 5 years - still going strong)
4. 01 Falcon SR (had it for 3 years - still going strong)

I'm hoping to get a Territory one day for the family, and myself something from the FG range (I've always wanted a Ghia, so the G6E or G6ET would be the go. Heck I'd be more than content with an XR6. These purchases are for the moment distant dreams though, (mortgage and family expansion come first) but I am a very loyal Ford man, and truly hope to own newer vehicles down the track a bit.

I am also concerned, like many on this site about the potential demise of our beloved Falcon.

The Falcon has always been a better car than the commodore, and I'd absolutely hate to see us lose it.

Even if that did happen, I'd still buy a Falcon I'd reckon, just the latest model I could.

Let's hope and pray that Ford pump out sales of all their cars to keep us afloat.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #30
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkr
I like both ford and holden, driving a falcon and loving it makes me a fair bit more ford biased though, I know a lot more about ford products then holden.

Ford runs in the family

I'd have a current GM 8cyl over the ford 8cyl product, but I love xr8's with blowers.... arrrgh!!
Hahaha I'm the opposite mate. I like Holdens, and Fords, but since I drive a Commodore I tend to be more biased to Holden, because I know more about them.

I wear the red flag proud, and highly, but if I was given a Ford I wouldn't say no.

They're just cars at the end of the day.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post