Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default EF rear rotors on AU IRS with AU Calipers

Hey boys and girls...

I've got my old rear rotors here from the wagon which still have a fair bit of life left in them, and since the Fairlane is missing a few massive bits of rotor, I thought I'd put my old ones to good use...

Will they go on fine with an AU caliper?

Old 15-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: EF rear rotors on AU IRS with AU Calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Hey boys and girls...

I've got my old rear rotors here from the wagon which still have a fair bit of life left in them, and since the Fairlane is missing a few massive bits of rotor, I thought I'd put my old ones to good use...

Will they go on fine with an AU caliper?
AU1 rear front and rear brakes are the same as e series (pads at least), so I reckon if it's an AU1, you might be onto a winner. Check the sizes at www.dba.com.au - if the diameter, offset, thickness and centrebore are all the same, they should be fine. The brakes did change for AU2 though, so if the 'lane is a 2000 onwards, you may be out of luck (but again, dba.com.au can help you by doing a comparison).

Just checked for you, and the EL rotor is 299mm diameter, and the AU is 287mm, plus the height (offset) is 5mm different, so there's no way they're going to fit.

EL rear rotor
Diameter 299
Height 56.5
Thickness 10.5
Min Thickness 8.5
Centre Hole Dia 70.5
Bolt Holes 5

AU rear rotor
Diameter 287
Height 51.5
Thickness 10.5
Min Thickness 8.5
Centre Hole Dia 70.5
Bolt Holes 5
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

Isn't he talking about an AU with IRS? I don't think the is any rotor/caliper setup from a beam axle that will interchange with AU IRS??? I'd like to be wrong though as I have some nice big brakes off my TE (IRS) that I'd love to put on my AU wagon.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Hmm, interesting JC....

Jeff, the fronts will go on fine... 5L conversion? Afterwards? :P
Old 16-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

Yes I know the fronts are no problem - I thought your query was regarding the rears.
Old 16-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

The query was towards the rears, just saying a Tickford modified wagon would be good besides your T's...
Old 16-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Yeah mate, the motor is ready to be pulled - just gotta find the time. The 220 is sitting ... waiting to be commissioned. I'm still trying to decide between fitting the ESS auto that came with it, or using my spare TR3650 manual. It has a 3.7 rear end so I should on that basis stay with auto.
Old 16-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Go manual, saves on adding additional ESS wiring...
Old 16-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

The 500mm of extra wiring won't be too big an issue. Changing the pedal box is the big job that's making me hesitate.
Old 16-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Get a Mal Wood clutch pedal pin. A lot stronger then the factory setup, and bolts onto your auto pedalbox without needing to be removed...
Old 16-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

That's a good idea actually - might be the way to go.
Old 17-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Isn't he talking about an AU with IRS? I don't think the is any rotor/caliper setup from a beam axle that will interchange with AU IRS??? I'd like to be wrong though as I have some nice big brakes off my TE (IRS) that I'd love to put on my AU wagon.
Rear brakes are no different between beam axle and IRS in the AUs. At least DBA doesn't make a distinction in it's catalogue. For AU1s, the listing is DBA501s for everything from ute to wagon to XR8. For AU2, it's the DBA503.

The only difference is where non-standard brakes were fitted, such as the tickford/premium option - but even then, for AU2, I'm 99% sure that the tickford elliptical grooved rear is the same size and dimensions as a DBA503, but it just has the groove.

And as I found out on one of my AU1 XR8s, you can easily fit AU2 rear discs and calipers to an AU1, with the addition of a 3mm spacer plate at the caliper mount.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
T3man
Banned

Yes, that's my problem JC - I want to fit my "premium" PBRs to the rear of my wagon. DBA list different part numbers, but if it's only the backspacing of the caliper (as in AU to BA Brembo rears), then that I can overcome - thanks. I guess I'm going to have to just pull them down and try it.