Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
eeyaychiq
Starter Motor

Default Ultra Light Steering

Hi everyone, Im not sure if this is where I should be posting this. Basically my AUII has reeeeeaaallly light steering. Ive spoken/complained to other AU owners about how light my steering is and they have said their steering is lightish, but definatley firm. Mine could no way be descibed as 'firm' no way. I even avoided driving down south as I new it would be a fight to keep it nice and straight on the bumpy roads.
What could be causing this?

eeyaychiq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

it shouldn't be like that but it's not rare, my fairmont's fair firm on steering, then agian the TL50 is lighter but still firm same as my AUII wagon ... however Riksta's (on this forum) i've driven his car acouple of times and it sounds like urs ... it's EXTREMLY light on steering :S, so i dunno ... could just be one of those things?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I notice that the steering in mine is pretty light aswel, when i get a wheel alignment the steering feels pretty good and then goes loose so yeah i dunno why it does this?
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
eeyaychiq
Starter Motor

Does the AUII have anything that reduces power steering the faster you go?
Old 15-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

no ... if anything should be the other way around, you'd want it tighter on steering as you're going faster!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It could be a worn bush on the intermediate shaft. When you say "light", do you mean that the slightest nudge of the steering wheel results in a lot of turning movement of the front wheels, or is there excessive play in the steering wheel?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
eeyaychiq
Starter Motor

yes, its hard to explain. Its like a car with no power steering feels a certain way when you drive it, then a car with power steering,it takes a lot less effort to go round a corner,and a lot less turns of the wheel. Ok mine is even further on the spectrum, I just have to think about changing lanes, and ill be in the next lane. lol, ok its not that bad, but that the best I can explain. Its almost as if I want the power steering to just turn off when im driving!!!!
Old 16-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Do you have high kms on your car?

All my taxis do it after 200000kms or so, the seals and o rings just get worn out in the rack I guess and it gives too much "assistance", there is hardly any "feel" left to it.

If it is not leaking oil it is not a serious problem

Change (or recondition) the rack and it will feel normal again.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyaychiq
Hi everyone, Im not sure if this is where I should be posting this. Basically my AUII has reeeeeaaallly light steering. Ive spoken/complained to other AU owners about how light my steering is and they have said their steering is lightish, but definatley firm. Mine could no way be descibed as 'firm' no way. I even avoided driving down south as I new it would be a fight to keep it nice and straight on the bumpy roads.
What could be causing this?

Your answer could be in this post, but it'd be easier to read and understand these comments, then for me to explain it. Hope it helps.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=steering+rack
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
LPGUTE

i always thought that the AU was known to had "feather light" steering. how long have u had the car? did you feel any changes in steering in that time?

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
eeyaychiq
Starter Motor

Hmmmm, i think changing the rack sounds a good place to start. So AUs dont have speed sensitive steering racks. and this item on ebay, (from a link in a link u posted) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-P...2em118Q2el1247
so is this good or bad for my car...
Old 17-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks ok,..... if you do the rack change you will need an alignment as well, i was under the impression that Fairmonts had the speed sensitive steering?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It could be a worn bush on the intermediate shaft. When you say "light", do you mean that the slightest nudge of the steering wheel results in a lot of turning movement of the front wheels, or is there excessive play in the steering wheel?

On a side note ... I have excessive play in my steering at the moment ... probably 5 degrees either way off centre is literally dead ... it starting to become unnerving on rougher country roads as it take more steering input to keep it on track.

Is the bush replacable????

Or is it just best to get the rack replaced (I have already replaced it once about 125,000km ago.)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the looseness is in the rack you might be able to tighten it up by tightening the plug on the back of the rack(assuming the rest of the rack is ok, the inner tie rod ends like ball joints.... might be tired if it has a lot of k`s), the plug puts a bit of pressure on the rack shaft pushing it towards the pinion, i had to weld a nut to a big bolt to fit the plug, a special tool would normally be required ,it does have a correct tension, it might be a pain to to do under the car, i did mine on the bench , http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?i...type059ln1.jpg
see the plug ,spring and piston shaped rod, you can see were it goes, i have been meaning to give mine a bit of a tighten, the plug is a very tight fit in alloy the housing i dont think they take that in to account, i would`nt bother rooting around with one of these again, 200 odd for change over plus alignment cost which you might need anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

That's what I thought ... might be just easier to replace with a reco/exchange unit again.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
On a side note ... I have excessive play in my steering at the moment ... probably 5 degrees either way off centre is literally dead ... it starting to become unnerving on rougher country roads as it take more steering input to keep it on track.

Is the bush replacable????

Or is it just best to get the rack replaced (I have already replaced it once about 125,000km ago.)
It's probably not the rack, but the intermediate shaft. The bush that wears is part of the shaft, so you need to replace the whole bit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Do you have high kms on your car?

All my taxis do it after 200000kms or so, the seals and o rings just get worn out in the rack I guess and it gives too much "assistance", there is hardly any "feel" left to it.

If it is not leaking oil it is not a serious problem

Change (or recondition) the rack and it will feel normal again.
Mine feels the same as the wifes AU 160k mine 825k no difference... both are series 1's

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post