Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
YeahNah17
Starter Motor

Default History Project

Hi I’m doing a history project on how Australian Automotive in the 60s and 70s affected Aussie Culture a couple sources I’m focusing on is the HO down the Hume Photo and the Supercar Scare Article
I was just wondering if any of you were around in this period and how these events affected you
Thanks
YeahNah17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: History Project

Perhaps prepare a set of specific questions that you can email to interested parties?

Your request for information is very open ended:

"I was just wondering if any of you were around in this period and how these events affected you?"

It will also allow you to represent your findings in a more succinct manner seeing as they will be based on uniform questions.

Good luck

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 'Supercar Scare" all happened 2 years after I left school, so performance cars, including Series Production race cars were of huge interest. We thought at the time that the Govt. were being quite draconian in banning the V8 LJ & Phase 4 etc.

In hindsight cars of those days were really pretty dangerous, big on power but average brakes & handling along with in many cases, cross-ply tyres & almost no safety devices.

This was also a period of time when the road toll (deaths) were at an all time high & insurance companies were coming down hard on young drivers with high performance cars. Anything with a GT/GTS/GTR badge had insurance premiums out of reach of those under 25.

Looking back it made sense to go to Group C racing rules. Under the old rules the car companies were effectively building race cars to drive on the street. In the US it was arguably worse, look at some of those Big Block Chevs, Fords & Chryslers with 400+ HP on the street, just so they were eligible for NASCAR.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, my car was featured in this ABC production a few years back.
It will answer all your questions, sounds like a great project.
For most of us Boomers and some others, everything car related revolved around Bathurst.
You were either Holden or Ford, Brock or Moffat and a small group went for the MOPAR product, Chargers and the like.

https://www.abc.net.au/tv/wideopenroad/
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And if you were too young to drive Ford or Holden, you wore a Ford or Holden jacket.

https://www.grailed.com/listings/177...et-made-in-usa

ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
slowsnake
Banned

Fuel price rise scare stopped every car company in their tracks, they had to really rethink in the early 70's!
In fact I believe the Arab Nations purposely cut back oil production for some reason which I forget, but lining up for fuel was de riguer in Sydney, for a short time, but that's why the companies stopped, high fuel use, or high power cars.
But some other member/s will either disagree with my statement or have their own opinion, but also I believe homologation rules applied, but I know Sydney racing changed in the 70's and that's where I lived and I don't know about other states or Territories

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 09-08-2021 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add paragraph
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True but that wasn't until a year or 2 later. Even then, like now, the increased price of petrol didn't deter those with real money from buying L34s, GTs etc. etc.

Dr Terry
Old 09-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
True but that wasn't until a year or 2 later. Even then, like now, the increased price of petrol didn't deter those with real money from buying L34s, GTs etc. etc.

Dr Terry
I agree, but the gov of the day blamed high power road cars on youth deaths nationwide, I don't remember anyone I knew owning a XW or XY GT or HO,
We youth were into hotting up older cars, we cut our teeth on porting and polishing, twin or triple carbies, lumpy cams, that's what youth was all about, not driving Fast GT cars, they were designed to race not for the public but 300 units had to be produced minimum for homologation, the spares that went to dealers were "missiles on wheels" and idiots bought them, that's why so many were written off, idiots on the road, not professionals on race tracks

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 09-08-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Misspelt
Old 09-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
YeahNah17
Starter Motor

Quote:
The 'Supercar Scare" all happened 2 years after I left school, so performance cars, including Series Production race cars were of huge interest. We thought at the time that the Govt. were being quite draconian in banning the V8 LJ & Phase 4 etc.

In hindsight cars of those days were really pretty dangerous, big on power but average brakes & handling along with in many cases, cross-ply tyres & almost no safety devices.

This was also a period of time when the road toll (deaths) were at an all time high & insurance companies were coming down hard on young drivers with high performance cars. Anything with a GT/GTS/GTR badge had insurance premiums out of reach of those under 25.

Looking back it made sense to go to Group C racing rules. Under the old rules the car companies were effectively building race cars to drive on the street. In the US it was arguably worse, look at some of those Big Block Chevs, Fords & Chryslers with 400+ HP on the street, just so they were eligible for NASCAR.

Dr Terry
Thanks for that
Do you know what modifications Group C allowed teams?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Even Green, a writer for vehicle magazines started the Super Car Scare in an article he wrote where he took Holden/Ford/Crysler to task over the hot homoligated production Cars, claiming they would increase the road toll and he imagined, the young getting their hands on these cars causing mayhem & death on Australian roads.
He used as examples a couple of serious vehicle collisions over a couple of recent years to press his point. Not least of which was the death of 7 young people in a Valiant Pacer in the NSW Town of Warren. It was a single vehicle accident where all the occupants were killed outright.
His article gained the support of the Minister for Transport in NSW, Milton MORRIS, who incidentally drove as his personal transport, a death trap, commonly known as the Morris Marina.
Morris began a campaign, wildly supported by Even Green to rid the roads of these vehicles, which gained the support of a lot of voters.
And that was that.
The so called fuel crisis came later.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Even Green, a writer for vehicle magazines started the Super Car Scare in an article he wrote where he took Holden/Ford/Crysler to task over the hot homoligated production Cars, claiming they would increase the road toll and he imagined, the young getting their hands on these cars causing mayhem & death on Australian roads.
He used as examples a couple of serious vehicle collisions over a couple of recent years to press his point. Not least of which was the death of 7 young people in a Valiant Pacer in the NSW Town of Warren. It was a single vehicle accident where all the occupants were killed outright.
His article gained the support of the Minister for Transport in NSW, Milton MORRIS, who incidentally drove as his personal transport, a death trap, commonly known as the Morris Marina.
Morris began a campaign, wildly supported by Even Green to rid the roads of these vehicles, which gained the support of a lot of voters.
And that was that.
The so called fuel crisis came later.
Evan Green was also a bit of a British Leyland fanboi
Old 09-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Evan Green also ran another idiot program about the lost views from over wide A Pillars ether side of the windscreen.
The result was the skinny little A Pillars on the XA,XB,XC etc which cracked, broke and collapsed in roll overs.
Bloke was just a scribbler.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #13
slowsnake
Banned

The fuel crisis was the cause of all cars being designed to run more efficiently and effectively, I know the year was 1973, I know that because of the car I owned in 1973, a 1966 HD Holden, I remember lining up for fuel, there was a smaller one in Sydney in 1971, lasted 3 weeks, then there was another smaller one in 1977, dident last long, I know that because my second job was in a servo!

But the cars were getting ridiculously high powered and fuel guzzlers, and it was not high powered cars killing youth, but idiots in hotted up sh.t boxes, who thought they could "drive" when they couldent!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 09-08-2021 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Add bit
Old 09-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
The fuel crisis was the cause of all cars being designed to run more efficiently and effectively,

Cheers Billy
ADR 27A in 76 was a beauty, engines looked great and ran well till that started to bog them down with this new fangled emissions crap.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #15
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
ADR 27A in 76 was a beauty, engines looked great and ran well till that started to bog them down with this new fangled emissions crap.
From Memory Fuel consumption Went up 10-15% when Strangled with all that Emission Crap..

Was a bit of a Self defeating Exercise..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #16
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Evan Green worked for British Leyland. He ran the competition dept. for the Bathurst Mini win (1966) & drove a P76 for the 2nd London to Sydney Marathon

Dr Terry
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #17
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
From Memory Fuel consumption Went up 10-15% when Strangled with all that Emission Crap..

HaHa, yeah 3 separate things here, oil crisis, super car scare and emissions.

Supercar scare was all about the gtho and other cars (race on sunday, sell on monday)

oil crisis was OPEC restricting fuel to raise the price (Our mate Saddam got into power with USA help to end that)

Emission standards coming out in the early 1970s didn't care about economy so much directly, it cared about quantity of more harmfull gas emissions. It led to crazy things like the mazda rx4 AP (rotary REAPS) being the cleanest ICE in the world - the first car to meet USA and Japanese emission standards but still not be slowed down with a power loss). Chewed juice but was the most effective at burning off CO and Nx etc.
Unfortunately they made that car in 1973 before the oil crisis, so by 1974 no one cared about it or going that way. Engines would have to use less fuel to be even considered by buyers and also meet lower pollution goals to be viable car.

E: For the past few decades I don't think ford falcon was ever effected much down here, but air pumps and EGR became a thing forever in many many cars. The fact falcon never used them is part of the reason why I'm a falcon fan.
But an engine driven air pump of a pulley and belt, or even an electric fan to blow fresh air into the exhaust, or recycling exhaust back into the intake was common from 70s-2000s

Last edited by oldel; 09-08-2021 at 08:17 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Evan Green worked for British Leyland. He ran the competition dept. for the Bathurst Mini win (1966) & drove a P76 for the 2nd London to Sydney Marathon

Dr Terry
Yep, they even named a P76 after one of the stages (Targa Florio) I believe.

And yes I'm old enough to have been around then
Old 09-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #19
mondeomatureguy

Hi Every One,
Yes Evan Green did write an article in the newspaper that killed the High Powered V8s that were built for Bathurst built buy Chrysler, Ford and GMH.
It was Harry Firth and Allan Moffat who refused pit interview's if Evan Green was doing the interview's.

In the end the Govt said "if you build these car's the Govt will never buy another car from you" so Ford, Holden and Chrysler were stopped dead in there tracks.

The sad part was Ford had already built the new GTHOs and the V8 Torana had been tested on and off the race track.
That was in 1972 and we were ripped off and not having the pleasure of seeing theses car's racing.

Then you fast forward to 1977-1978-1979 and Holden released the Torana A9X which wasn't exactly a slow car.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 PM   #20
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed

the old val wasn't strangled as much as the others.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
And if you were too young to drive Ford or Holden, you wore a Ford or Holden jacket.

https://www.grailed.com/listings/177...et-made-in-usa

There's hardly any good merch anymore - I used to rock the blue SBR jacket with the Ford all over it and the sponsors.

Then the Ford stuff went down hill and didn't look good anymore, so I switched to Nissan jackets when they had a Supercars team.

Then Nissan left and no more Nissan jackets available.

Then my last Nissan jacket flogged out on Friday....

So now I've got a Caterpillar jacket because all the current Supercars jackets looks crap
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 PM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

So now I've got a Caterpillar jacket because all the current Supercars jackets looks crap
I was reading this post thinking, "Please don't tell us you've bought a ****hub jacket."
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I was reading this post thinking, "Please don't tell us you've bought a ****hub jacket."
Well he wore the T shirt and hat to Heathcote one year.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:30 PM   #24
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: History Project

Quote:

Dr Terry
Despite his role in starting the Supercar scare, Green would subsequently become a director at GM-Holden.

As I recall he continued as a motoring 'journalist' while on the GMH Board.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Well he wore the T shirt and hat to Heathcote one year.
My youthful appearance is wearing off at a rate of knots so I have to be careful pulling those stunts these days lest I end up all over the news

Might rock the socks, sandals and Hawaiian shirt next AFF Heathcote, oh and of course cargo shorts.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #26
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: History Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's hardly any good merch anymore - I used to rock the blue SBR jacket with the Ford all over it and the sponsors.

Then the Ford stuff went down hill and didn't look good anymore, so I switched to Nissan jackets when they had a Supercars team.

Then Nissan left and no more Nissan jackets available.

Then my last Nissan jacket flogged out on Friday....

Those jackets were around well before anyone called our touring cars, Supercars, but yes some of the merch today is not so great with great big pricetags.

I bought a V8Supercar / Repco singlet at last Darwin race. Wore it twice and the colour has gone from the back, and now has 2 permanent sweat circles. Never happened before. I should have known it would be dodge, cost me $40 for a tanktop to find out .... missus reckons i should send them a nastygram
Old 09-08-2021, 11:36 PM   #27
YeahNah17
Starter Motor

To expand in my History Project I have to explain how it affected Australia’s Culture
Does anyone remember the original wheels HO Down the Hume article and the controversy surrounding the photo
Ive read that the photo was a popular poster for the youth of the day
Thanks everyone for the responses so far
Old 09-08-2021, 11:44 PM   #28
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You bet, plenty of those posters on walls.

I recall something about the photo originally being retouched up so the real speed / rpm was not visible.

Edit - just want to add that you ask how it affected culture, i say it created culture.
The Hey Charger marketing, the panel van scene, Red vs Blue in the schoolyard, etc
Old 10-08-2021, 05:41 AM   #29
slowsnake
Banned

A little bit from Wiki!

Group C Improved Production Touring Car regulations were introduced by CAMS in 1965 to replace the Appendix J rules which had been in force since 1960. The Australian Touring Car Championship was run to these new rules from 1965 to 1972, initially as a single race championship and from 1969 as a multi round series. Group E regulations defining rules for Series Production Touring Car racing in Australia had previously been introduced with effect from 1 January 1964.[1]

The leading cars of the Improved Production era included the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Nova, Porsche 911S, Holden Monaro HK GTS327, Holden Monaro HT GTS350, Ford Mustang Boss 302, Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1 and the Ford XY Falcon GTHO Phase III.

Cheers Billy.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:09 PM   #30
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNah17 View Post
To expand in my History Project I have to explain how it affected Australia’s Culture
Does anyone remember the original wheels HO Down the Hume article and the controversy surrounding the photo
Ive read that the photo was a popular poster for the youth of the day
Thanks everyone for the responses so far
Most old school Ford fans have that picture somewhere.
As I side note, that particular car was stolen a few days later never to be seen again.
That is until just recently, bits and pieces found on a farm, it had been cut up.