Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default WQ Fiesta A/C Compressor issue

Hi everyone,

We bought a WQ last year in the winter and obviously didn't test the A/C properly because while it works fine (so far), the compressor is very noisy. Sounds like a dull rattle or really dry loose bearing, something like that to give you an idea. The noise only occurs when the compressor clutch kicks in - so completely silent running otherwise.

So,
a) Has anyone had or known of this issue before?
b) Do you think it may only require the clutch assembly to be replaced? I've found on eBay that you can buy the clutch assembly alone from the USA for about $120 incl postage.
c) On eBay it's possible to buy 2nd hand complete compressors for about the $175 mark + postage.

Now I think with option b, if that was the issue and I replaced only the clutch assembly then I wouldn't need a full re-gas? However if the whole compressor (option c) is replaced then obviously a re-gas will be required.

If I do have to buy a 2nd hand compressor - are there any issues with putting it straight in? Will new seals be required? Do the internals have any issues if it's been exposed to air (I only ask because pictures of new ones have plugs, which the 2nd hand ones do not).

Thanks!