Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ED XR6 Daily?

G'Day All,

I have just returned from the middle east, and am looking for a new cheapish daily to hook around in. With my money more or less tied up in property these days, I'd like to minimise my expenditure on a depreciating asset like my car.

I had sold my supercharged VY series 2 Calais before I left, and im regretting it to say the least (I just liked it). But yesterday I was looking about online at ford XR6's and came across quite a nice looking white ED XR6.

Its looks to me to be a one owner factory stock example, white, with no power options or anything (which I really couldnt care less about). And it has a full service history for its 160k life. From the carsales pics, it looks pretty darn tidy.

I understand that they had a 161kw engine, tickford suspension, a special interior (no momo though), that nice looking front end and a lip spoiler, but what else? Was the diff ratio any shorter or anything like that?

I guess my only real concern..... is a 20yr old falcon past it for daily use these days without intensive maintenance? Are they still easy to get bits and pieces for without having the parts guy look at me like im asking for model t parts?

I was only a kid when the ED XR6 came out, but I remember they had a reputation for being a pretty well sorted bit of kit. Having had an ED Fairmont before which gave me not one issue in 60,000km and drove like a dream, should I take a stab at this XR6? or should I look elsewhere?

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
seven7

Default Re: ED XR6 Daily?

if u like it buy it before someone else dose

also their fine as a daily as far as i,m concerned

if its only done 160 000 it still has plenty of life left in it

cheers
seven7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Calais, that's pretty low kms for a ED XR6 these days and a full service history is very rare. The MoMo wheel was an option on the ED's where as the EB XR6 is was standard. The XR6 has 3.45 limited slip diff. Parts for EB/ED are cheap as chips these days, even some of the XR parts are pretty cheap, the quad head light grille and lights are much cheaper now than they were even a couple of years ago. I can't see you having too many problems with it as a daily. You'll probably find it won't be the most economical car around compared to some of the other stuff you can get for similar price.
Great car though.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i can get 10L/100km out of it, i'd be a happy camper.

Ive decided to at least investigate further. Insurance appears to be only a few hundred, agreed value of 6k...... Tyres are cheap, brakes cheap, interior bits are all over ebay...... It already has an r134a air con system.

What about the auto transmission? Should I be concerned there? My old Fairmont had an external cooler and ran redline fluid and was smooth as..... What sort of money would a replacement btr box go for? A commodore one cost me 200 once at a wrecker (a poor comparison i know..... But all i have to go off)

While im thinking of these things..... The tickford cylinder head..... Would it have any issues if i decided to have it converted to injected gas?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Economy ,id be more worried itll be reliable day in day out than getting world breaking economy
The problem with anything old,is,its anyones guess how long itll last or wether itll be a money pit, no one can tell
Best you can do is get it thoroughly inspected and overall checked out,and go from there
Sometimes oldish low K cars can go the distance, but sometimes things are ready to be changed or need replacing
Replacement parts, parts everywhere,prices cheap as chips was the main reason I bought an AU, the EDs are the same
Cheap as chips and everywhere
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

icant see a real problem as long as the car has been maintained,ask the seller if he has any service or repair history on the car.if a car has been driven into the ground they are worthless but it it has been looked after and actually had parts replaced when they needed replacing they are usually a good thing.
1 owner cars are usually pretty good and if the outside condition is good they have usually been looked after.i just got my mother inlaw a nf fairlane giha,if i can find the pic i will put it up with the details.its a sweet car and the peice is right.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

160k is barely run in for an I6, especially for one with a full service history.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My suggestion would be to look for a au or ba, they would be around the same price for a base model and be newer.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
If i can get 10L/100km out of it, i'd be a happy camper.

Ive decided to at least investigate further. Insurance appears to be only a few hundred, agreed value of 6k...... Tyres are cheap, brakes cheap, interior bits are all over ebay...... It already has an r134a air con system.

What about the auto transmission? Should I be concerned there? My old Fairmont had an external cooler and ran redline fluid and was smooth as..... What sort of money would a replacement btr box go for? A commodore one cost me 200 once at a wrecker (a poor comparison i know..... But all i have to go off)

While im thinking of these things..... The tickford cylinder head..... Would it have any issues if i decided to have it converted to injected gas?
Next to nothing, still trying to sell one I have had for about a year for $200

Personally I wouldn't bother with gas, don't like it although is a little bit cheaper than petrol, whats the point of spending thousands on gas when there is little benefit?
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suprisingly good drivers those early models, very good visibility, very good steering lock, if it was in good order I would certainly give one a go, parts in abundance and cheap.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
Would it have any issues if i decided to have it converted to injected gas?
Gas is great provided you do a ton of driving.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

You'll have a big comfortable cruiser that will be a pleasure to drive, especially on long trips!
They're somewhat unique these days as well!

Make sure you inquire about whether or not the headgasket has been changed & give the oil a good inspection, otherwise these cars are bulletproof!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is the car I picked up for my mother inlaw for a daily.its had recently had new discs all round with pads.new rack and pinion,new suspension,new recod head and new gasket,new waterpump,new radiator and hoses,good tyres,just had a wheel alignment and had 1k spent on the air which is still under warranty.drives great mint interior great paint.2 owner car got it for $1,300.

Here is the pic like I said $1,300 excellent condition inside and out,passed a roady and the mother inlaw loves it

Last edited by flappist; 16-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I have an ED XR6 as a daily.

Great car, I love it. It’s good on fuel for what it is….

I’d be all over it if I were you!

I was lucky enough to pick up one with premium sound, momo, sunroof and optional factory rims oh and 125,000km

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers all

As much as I would have like the ED.

I jumped back across to the red camp for now with a VZ SS Thunder.

I found one with 40,000kms in manual and jumped at it. It was more than I wanted to spend but I am super familiar with that generation of commodore and the 6 litre is a truly strong motor. I am looking forward to a long time with it. Its getting injected gas in two weeks so that will make the ownership experience somewhat cheaper......and...... Its my first very own V8 (I' ve shared a few with my brother) so im pretty stoked.

That ED though....... Someone out there will snap it up and love it.
Old 17-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Awesome man! Love VZs

Have fun! Post some pictures

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post