Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #7171
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Covid 19 -

So I understand that UK started using a new definition of a covid death, but the longer this goes on the stranger the ratio of cases to deaths in other countries gets.

Looking at France, first wave they peaked at an ave ballpark of 5000 cases per day, for at least 500 deaths per day - call it a rubbery 10%. Second wave (new cases a month ago to allow for progression of the infection) probably 12000 cases per day and even now only once over 200 deaths per day <2%

The pattern is followed pretty much everywhere, close to cases doubling but deaths halving. Is it just 4 or 5 times as many people had it but where not diagnosed in the 1st wave?

Or did it get into aged care all around the world first wave and everyone was more prepared the 2nd time? I am sure the treatment hasn't improved that much so quickly.

Old 23-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #7172
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT October 22nd, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting except for the Victorian 14 day moving averages.

22 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.292% while active cases rise to 1,402. NSW recorded 7 cases, WA 8 and the ACT 1 each with the balance in Victoria. That ACT case is the first in more than 100 days.

The Victorian State 14 day moving average is down to 6.07 with metro falling to 5.5 (10 unknown) and regional down to 0.3 with no unknown cases (including today). Victoria reported 1 new case for the last 24 hours.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.306% and active cases rise to 58.

The UK had a lower 21,238 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 189 deaths.

Just over 66k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,224 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.648% and active cases down to 32.1% with the raw numbers rising and still over 2.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases set a new daily high of 474,062 - 41k above the prior high;
Costa Rica passes 100k cases;
Europe set a new daily case high of 217,410 - almost 23k more than yesterday;
The USA completes 129M, India 98M, Italy 14M and Chile 4M tests;

Latvia (188)
Albania (302)
Lithuania (424)
- 36% above the high yesterday
North Macedonia (647)
Luxembourg (662) - 54% above the previous high yesterday
Denmark (760)
Greece (882)
Azerbaijan (825)
Bosnia (999)
Kenya (1,068) with their previous high on July 6th
Croatia (1,563)
UAE (1,578)
Georgia (1,595)
Bulgaria (1,595)
Slovenia (1,663)
Hungary (2,032)
Armenia (2,306) -
24% above the high yesterday
Austria (2,435) -
24% above the high yesterday
Jordan (2,821)
Portugal (3,270) - 25% above the previous high
Morocco (4,151)
Romania (4,902)
Ukraine (7,053)
Netherlands (9,271)
Poland (12,107) -
20% above the high yesterday
Germany (12,519) - 20% above the high yesterday
Belgium (13,227) -
20% above the previous high
Italy (16,079)
Spain (20,986) - 4k more than the previous day; and
France (41,692) -
28% above the previous high
... all
recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #7173
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Would like to see a graph of the numbers for the last 14 days, for NSW vs VIC positive case numbers, that is separated into returning travellers vs community transmission.

Morrison and Frydenberg have been jumping up and down the last couple of weeks about VIC numbers matching NSW and as such, VIC should open businesses, retail, etc just like NSW has. I have a feeling VIC has had more community transmission than NSW has, which is the key factor.
Old 23-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #7174
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Umm, yes he did. And his old man too.
Check the speedcafe articles about it.
My bad, last I heard (on race day) is it wasn't COVID, now they're saying it is...
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
Old 23-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #7175
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Would like to see a graph of the numbers for the last 14 days, for NSW vs VIC positive case numbers, that is separated into returning travellers vs community transmission.

Morrison and Frydenberg have been jumping up and down the last couple of weeks about VIC numbers matching NSW and as such, VIC should open businesses, retail, etc just like NSW has. I have a feeling VIC has had more community transmission than NSW has, which is the key factor.
What I can tell you is this:

All of Victoria's 95 'known source' new cases in the last 14 days have been community transmission and while there are some unknown, there are none listed as returning travellers.

Conversely, NSW has 65 returned traveller cases from the 103 recorded in the last fortnight.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #7176
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
More first hand evidence that COVID has life long health implications post "recovery" in middle aged adults who were healthy pre COVID.

Dr Nathalie MacDermott (a NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Paediatrics (Infectious Diseases)), contracted COVID in March. She now has symptoms of Long-COVID.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...rious/12785934
This sort of story is going to pop up here and there from hysterical types from all sides of academia and all sides of the political coin.

There is not enough regularity of these reports when you consider that tens of millions have recovered. That’s a massive pool of recovered citizens with only a few Hundred cloudy non confirmed reports of ongoing issues.

Until I’m convinced otherwise, all these reports of catastrophic health issues magically materialising from nowhere after someone recovers from Covid I’ll put down to Karen types who’d blame a plumber for her internet not working after he fixed the washer on her garden tap.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #7177
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well after ACT raised the bat for the ton of no cases we had one. It was a returning diplomat who drove from Sydney airport straight to home so **** all chance of it being a big issue. Doesn't stop some people from wetting the bed and making a big deal of it

It will be interesting to see if we get some cases after Bathurst and Raiders semi final though I don't think it will be likely if we have not already.
Old 23-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #7178
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
What I can tell you is this:

All of Victoria's 95 'known source' new cases in the last 14 days have been community transmission and while there are some unknown, there are none listed as returning travellers.

Conversely, NSW has 65 returned traveller cases from the 103 recorded in the last fortnight.
So 38 cases of community transmission in NSW vs 95 cases in VIC. Yep, VIC still has an issue, and should not be compared with NSW.

What are Morrison and his sidekick on about? The daily reported NSW & VIC numbers may have been similar in the last fortnight, but the source is the concern.

I went searching and came across this graph of locally acquired cases (community transmission) between NSW and VIC up until 19 October.

VIC is nowhere near the NSW numbers! The Fed government are truly playing games with people's heads! No wonder people are having mental health issues and/or up in arms about almost everything Andrews does.
Old 23-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #7179
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the National Cabinet has "in principle" agreement to have borders open by Xmas except for WA.

Meanwhile anti-lockdown protests going off in Mexico
Old 23-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #7180
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It will be interesting to see if we get some cases after Bathurst and Raiders semi final though I don't think it will be likely if we have not already.
What have the daily test numbers been in ACT for the last 7 days?
Old 23-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #7181
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Meanwhile anti-lockdown protests going off in Mexico
Yep, 2 days out from another set of restrictions being eased in VIC, where things look like getting back to a bit more normality, and these selfish f**kwits are trying to f**k things up again. Almost all of them not wearing masks or have their masks pulled down.

Bet you when Andrews announces restrictions easing on Sunday, these f**kwits will pat themselves on the back thinking it was because of their protesting that restrictions were eased! Brain dead, moronic f**kwits!
7 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #7182
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What have the daily test numbers been in ACT for the last 7 days?
Testing rates have fallen off a cliff but anywhere between 2 to 6 hunge a day.

We have sewerage testing here which has backed up no local transmission for a long time.
Old 23-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #7183
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, 2 days out from another set of restrictions being eased in VIC, where things look like getting back to a bit more normality, and these selfish f**kwits are trying to f**k things up again. Almost all of them not wearing masks or have their masks pulled down.

Bet you when Andrews announces restrictions easing on Sunday, these f**kwits will pat themselves on the back thinking it was because of their protesting that restrictions were eased! Brain dead, moronic f**kwits!
Lol this is what I don't understand. It would make more sense to do these protests at the start.

But at the same time I understand why Mexicans don't want to cop this **** too much longer.

Even people I work with who are reasonable people are ****ed off with it. And they are still getting paid to WFH...
Old 23-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #7184
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Imagine being a sewerage tester. That'd be a **** of a job..........

Last edited by GasoLane; 23-10-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 24-10-2020, 04:55 AM   #7185
Trevor 57
is now there

my son works for a waste water treatment org, they look after about 6 or 7 local sewerage plants. He has some interesting stories of the 'solids' that people flush, coz all 'solids' get filtered out before the waste goes into the ponds

They have been drug testing waste water for years, they even know which part of town has the highest usage..

And many regional town waste water, after treated, at times goes back into rivers, but no-one every talks about it - in fact where I live they claim they clean the river when the do it, the water is cleaner down stream than it is up stream when they test it
Old 24-10-2020, 05:05 AM   #7186
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol drug testing sewerage. Canberra has been up there for a while.
Old 24-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #7187
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to love Trumpy. 'It's going away', and not long after that the US breaks their single day record with 77k+ cases.

Some will argue population difference. They are about 13 times us but many more cases and deaths.

Whatever statistics you want to apply they are doing woefully over there. The richest and most powerful country in the world by a lot.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #7188
HIPO
Al

Quote:

Beats hiding behind a computer screen whinging!
Old 24-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #7189
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Victorian opposition seeking Sutto emails now...

Victorian Opposition asks Legal Services Commissioner to investigate lawyers over hotel quarantine inquiry documents

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...wyers/12806222
Old 24-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #7190
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post

Me.. whinging about the Victorian government COVID restrictions?? Show me where I have done that?

Sure, it's been very difficult and frustrating at times, but I accepted the fact that it is what we all have to do so that we can get back to somewhat of a normality in VIC. But what has been more frustrating than the VIC restrictions is seeing brain dead, moronic f**kwits, like the above mob, put everything that others have worked hard for, just so they can get their 15 seconds of fame on social media and on the TV news.

It's ok Hippo, you "big man", you and your brain dead, moronic f**kwit mobs can continue with your "plight", you won't get a grain of sympathy to your "cause" from me. Quite the opposite effect actually.

What you and your "freedom" mobs have proven during this pandemic is that you are all a bunch of self-centred, self-entitled, self-conscious, self-indulgent brain dead, moronic f**kwits who are only concerned about one person. Yourself.
Old 24-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #7191
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Victorian opposition seeking Sutto emails now...
Not up to them - it's up to the inquiry as to whether they want to see them. On the plus side, O'Brien and his negativity has been the best thing for ensuring no change of Government in this State in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO
So. Let me get this clear. You are happily advocating breaking the law on the simple basis that doing something, no matter how imbecilic, is better than doing nothing?

So, in your mind, it was acceptable to attack the police (and their horses) because the looney fringe / protesters against anything feel a bit miffed about not being able to gather in large groups to drink their soy lattes? Assuming of course that any of them could actually afford one in the first place.

They want to be thankful that I wasn't in charge of the countermeasures.

No one has enjoyed the situation we find ourselves in. It's been tough both socially and economically and we are all looking forward to it ending or at least returning to something closer to normal but we wouldn't be even close to ending restrictions if the measures that have been taken so far hadn't been in place.

I'm going to break my own T&C's here because I believe that the following needs to be said.

So, here's a tip. You and your rabid looney mates can take your so-called civil liberties and move somewhere else where they might be more readily accepted. Like maybe one of the communist ruled nations or even somewhere with armed conflict so you can see first hand what deprivation of freedom is really about.

Attitudes like yours make me ashamed to be Australian.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #7192
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

Me.. whinging about the Victorian government COVID restrictions?? Show me where I have done that?

Sure, it's been very difficult and frustrating at times, but I accepted the fact that it is what we all have to do so that we can get back to somewhat of a normality in VIC. But what has been more frustrating than the VIC restrictions is seeing brain dead, moronic f**kwits, like the above mob, put everything that others have worked hard for, just so they can get their 15 seconds of fame on social media and on the TV news.

It's ok Hippo, you "big man", you and your brain dead, moronic f**kwit mobs can continue with your "plight", you won't get a grain of sympathy to your "cause" from me. Quite the opposite effect actually.

What you and your "freedom" mobs have proven during this pandemic is that you are all a bunch of self-centred, self-entitled, self-conscious, self-indulgent brain dead, moronic f**kwits who are only concerned about one person. Yourself.
What you are seeing is democracy at work. I agree with what you say about the protesters. But I also don't give any more or less credit to the Vic Government. They are either liars or inept, or a combination of both, so in my eyes no better that misguided protesters.

Meanwhile middle Victoria is sick to death of both, we just sit in our homes waiting for someone to get it right. Blanket closures resulting in the virus being contained is not an indicator of skilful government. Anyone can do that.

We are still nowhere near NSW's contact tracing techniques. They immediately publicise where and when carriers were. VIC, as usual, is too worried about marginalising groups, so they work on it behind the scenes.

What the protests do achieve though is to hold the Government to account, whether you or I like it or not, the Government can see that the protests have gone from 10's of people here and there, very disorganised into something much bigger. Their numbers will grow just like the virus's do. So far the "inquiry" has been too slow, and looks like a toothless tiger anyway. Sympathy for idiotic protests is the result.

5 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #7193
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

No, seriously, tell us how you really feel.............
Old 24-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #7194
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT October 23rd, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting except for the Victorian 14 day moving averages.

18 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.289% while active cases rise to 1,410. NSW recorded 7 cases, WA 6, Queensland and SA 2 each with the only 1 in Victoria.

The Victorian State 14 day moving average is down to 5.57 with metro falling to 5.0 (10 unknown) and regional down to 0.2 with no unknown cases (including today). Victoria reported 7 new cases for the last 24 hours.

9 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.300% and active cases rise to 66.

The UK had a lower 20,531 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 224 deaths.

Just under 79k new cases in the USA yesterday and 973 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.635% and active cases at 32.1% with the raw numbers rising and still over 2.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 42M with the last 1M taking 3 days again;
Global cases set a new daily high of 487,860;
Europe set a new daily case high of 231,396 - almost 14k more than yesterday;
France passes 1M cases;
The USA completes 130M, India 100M, Russia 56M, UK 31M, Brazil 21M Germany 20M, the UAE 12M, Canada 9M, Romania 3M and Sweden 2M tests;

Latvia (250)
Albania (306)
Lithuania (442)
Serbia (579)
North Macedonia (647)
Denmark (859)
Bosnia (1,179)
Croatia (1,687)
Georgia (1,759)
Hungary (2,066)
Armenia (2,474)
Austria (2,571)
Slovakia (2,581)
Romania (5,028)
Iran (6134)
Switzerland (6,634)
Ukraine (7,517)
Netherlands (9,996)
Germany (13,476)
Poland (13,632)
Czechia (15,258)
Belgium (16,746) - 26.6% above the high yesterday

Italy
(19,143)
- 19% above the high yesterday
Russia (17,340) and
France (42,032) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #7195
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The global case trend continues to worsen, with numbers nearing 0.5M per day:

... mostly fuelled by the case growth in Europe:

We could pick almost any country in Europe as an example but here are a few of the worst performing countries:

United Kingdom - four of the last 10 days over 20k cases / day, including a new record of 26,687:

Poland - the last three days all mover 10k cases / day including a new record of 13,632 yesterday:

Czechia - five of the last ten days over 10k cases / day including a new record 15,258 yesterday:

Italy - seven of the last ten days over 10k cases / day including a new record 19,143 yesterday:

France - four of the last ten days over 30k cases / day including a new record 42,032 yesterday:

Germany - even the normally very organised Germans have had three of the last five days over 10k cases / day including a new record 13,476 yesterday:

Netherlands - seven of the last ten days over 8k cases / day including a new record 9,996 yesterday:

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 24-10-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 24-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #7196
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
No, seriously, tell us how you really feel.............lol
He is just saying what a lot of people are thinking, but just don't want a chopping board thrown at our heads. It would be interesting to understand the circumstances of the protesters. Are they business owners? People who have lost their jobs? Or just people with issues using this an excuse to run amok?

Meanwhile, the sun was out, temporarily, and Albert Park Lake was probably 1/4 of the people who would normally be there on a sat day afternoon. Quite a few cars around but not many people?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 24-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #7197
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
It would be interesting to understand the circumstances of the protesters. Are they business owners? People who have lost their jobs? Or just people with issues using this an excuse to run amok?
"Hire a crowd" ... Same faces, different day, another protest.
5 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #7198
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Not up to them - it's up to the inquiry as to whether they want to see them. On the plus side, O'Brien and his negativity has been the best thing for ensuring no change of Government in this State in the foreseeable future.

So. Let me get this clear. You are happily advocating breaking the law on the simple basis that doing something, no matter how imbecilic, is better than doing nothing?

So, in your mind, it was acceptable to attack the police (and their horses) because the looney fringe / protesters against anything feel a bit miffed about not being able to gather in large groups to drink their soy lattes? Assuming of course that any of them could actually afford one in the first place.

They want to be thankful that I wasn't in charge of the countermeasures.

No one has enjoyed the situation we find ourselves in. It's been tough both socially and economically and we are all looking forward to it ending or at least returning to something closer to normal but we wouldn't be even close to ending restrictions if the measures that have been taken so far hadn't been in place.

I'm going to break my own T&C's here because I believe that the following needs to be said.

So, here's a tip. You and your rabid looney mates can take your so-called civil liberties and move somewhere else where they might be more readily accepted. Like maybe one of the communist ruled nations or even somewhere with armed conflict so you can see first hand what deprivation of freedom is really about.

Attitudes like yours make me ashamed to be Australian.
Sure i condone it!..... except any violence full stop.
Not everyone there was a looney. Boy settle down. Anytime someone has an alternate view in this thread the name calling & innuendos start..
A real Aussie doesnt just lay there while someones trying to get a boot on their neck. .....

The other responder ( with the irregular member ) aint worthy of a reply.........

Old 24-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #7199
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Sure i condone it!..... except any violence full stop.
Not everyone there was a looney. Boy settle down. Anytime someone has an alternate view in this thread the name calling & innuendos start..
A real Aussie doesnt just lay there while someones trying to get a boot on their neck. .....

The other responder ( with the irregular member ) aint worthy of a reply.........

Protest or run amok? I've actually lost sight of their message. Actually I didn't even realise there was going to be a protest until I saw it on the news.

What are they after now? We have 25kms, unlimited exercise time, you can meet a friend to exercise etc. Tomorrow we may have further easing of restrictions. Other states that have had very few cases for a LONG time are only just beginning to open right up to everything.

If we can get this to manageable state, we get Melb Cup, Boxing Day test and Christmas opened. And early next year we get Aus Open and F1. There is a lot at stake to get this right NOW.
Old 24-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #7200
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From a pretty neutral (centre?) media outlet.

The facts don't support claims of a Brett Sutton cover-up over emails

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...up-over-emails
Closed Thread