Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
12slots4ever

Default AU S2 XR8 front bumper sagging

The front bumper on my XR has developed a big, floppy belly from being caught on concrete wheel stops in public car parks. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a go at somehow shrinking the belly & stiffening the whole bottom edge? Thanks George
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question Re: AU S2 XR8 front bumper sagging

Any pics of the front?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
12slots4ever

Default Re: AU S2 XR8 front bumper sagging

I will take some 1st thing in the morning! It looks embarrassing!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd pop rivet in some aluminium angle - about a metre long, 25 x 15mm angle, 2mm thick. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the air deflector mounting points, but also you need to have it as close to the rear lip as you can to straighten out that lower part of the bumper.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lurker, go back to the FPV's

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
12slots4ever

This is an attempt to post a picture of my problem. Yay, slowly working the PC out!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (151.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by 12slots4ever; 12-03-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Successful upload of photo
Old 12-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Wow that is low. JC has the best advice, you could use very long cable ties but I'd do it JC's way.
UK
Old 12-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
12slots4ever

Yeah I like JC's fix up. I thought about cutting ultra thin & long cake slice shapes to get it flat and then cutting a full size piece of appropriate thickness ply and sliding it in, something along those lines anyway. Thanks for the advice and for getting my brain happening!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm, that is a bit floppy......always a hazard for the oldies , stone shield/air deflector doover is gone by the look of it ?

i have always been careful to put the stone shield air deflector back on for that very reason no matter how ratty looking it gets, mine is a bit wavy and the stone shield is a bit
ratty , ive often thought about making a nice new stone shield air deflector out of aluminum sheet to hold it all uniform and neaten it up a bit, looks like that one could do something .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine did the same, Use expandafoam, that **** sticks like **** to a blanket, prop a piece of timber or anything you have as a straight edge, fill it up and let sit to expand out and dry, then you can run a steak knife along the back edge to cut flush, I've smashed a few bumpers smacking rabbits, hairs etc so Ive filled up the back of the bumper and now it's like an AU XR bullbar!!! They just bounce off
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
12slots4ever

stone shield/air deflector doover is gone by the look of it ?

stone shield, air deflector? I don't know what they look like but nothing appears to be broken off or anything like that underneath! That belly is very stiff, that is why I thought about cutting thin slices to flatten it out and there wouldn't be such tension to pull it back out of shape. Being a pensioner I need to do most repairs myself, can't afford $75 to $95 an hour for someone to drag their feet around my car!!!
Old 13-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah it screws to the bit that is hanging down and holds it up a bit ....also helps to stop it catching on the gutters, ........ i did a google and one was listed on ebay for a b series , the correct name i believe is.............. "splash shield".
i did find one lonely pic of an au item.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/pr...73916.jpg.html
Old 15-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #14
12slots4ever

What's that made of mik?

Last edited by 12slots4ever; 15-03-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 15-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
12slots4ever

Would these be broken off ends of the stone shield? I got underneath and thought they were there to protect the edges. Sorry it's upside down, don't know how to flip it! George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (114.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 15-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slots4ever View Post
Would these be broken off ends of the stone shield? I got underneath and thought they were there to protect the edges. Sorry it's upside down, don't know how to flip it! George
Nah, they're the Ford racing bodykit front bar pods. The splash shield that is missing completely screws into the holes on the rear edge of the front bar (you can see one of those holes has some sort of wire in it in your pic). Some people remove the splash shield thinking it does nothing - it does actually aid in cooling the car and with front end downforce.

If your front bar is an original (ie not fibreglass), it can be reshaped using a hair drier or heat gun on low heat setting. After that is reshaped, I'd then fit the splash shield to help keep the shape. You may also still need a brace of some sort as I previously suggested, but I'd try the free fix of reshaping first. Just get the car up on ramps to give you some decent height to work with (you will need to use some timber to get the car on ramps, as typically most ramps are too steep for the XR bar and it will scrape, so the timber helps reduce the approach angle a bit).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
12slots4ever

Original body kit? It's a Tickford XR8 and the kit actually feels like plastic. The little Tickford plate States body kit and steering wheel. I don't think she has ever been smashed. She's been in the family 10yrs but an ex daughter in law had her for about 2 of those years. Speaking of hair dryers, I have double sided tape along the length of my drivers door. Would a hairdryer warp a door??? George
Old 16-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Original body kit? It's a Tickford XR8 and the kit actually feels like plastic. The little Tickford plate States body kit and steering wheel. I don't think she has ever been smashed. She's been in the family 10yrs but an ex daughter in law had her for about 2 of those years. Speaking of hair dryers, I have double sided tape along the length of my drivers door. Would a hairdryer warp a door??? George
Plastic is original, and hair drier is perfect for getting tape of a door - followed by wax and grease remover to get rid of all residue.

Old 17-03-2015, 01:15 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's that made of mik?
just plastic mate.
Old 17-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
12slots4ever

Thanks guys, you have been a great help! This is the most modern car I've ever had so I don't know half of it!
Old 22-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #21
12slots4ever

I will post some pics of my attempt at shrinking the plastic
Old 01-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
If your front bar is an original (ie not fibreglass), it can be reshaped using a hair drier or heat gun on low heat setting. After that is reshaped, I'd then fit the splash shield to help keep the shape.
+1 for this approach. This link has the shield, and the bolts. But a wrecker might be a far more thrifty approach.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-F...item460ff3ad5f
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post