Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Default Question about finance/car loans and buying a new car

Hi Guys,
I'm a total dufas when it comes to finance and loans and such, I got my Mum to do it all for me. With my current car, I borrowed roughly 11k to purchase the vehicle, I've paid off roughly 7-8k of this, I'm now looking to purchase another vehicle for around 18k.
I intend on paying 3.5k cash up front....

How does this work? Whats the easiest way of buying a new car when you're still paying off the first?

K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Pay out the old loan and start again with the new car or will have to list the other loan as a current debt and they will consider your repayments and ability to repay the new loan against your current income.
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Unless you get an unsecured personal loan to pay out remainder of old loan + cost of new car.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

I'm in the interesting situation where what I borrowed is the same/less than what my car is worth as a private sale (borrowed 11, could get 12-13k for it) So you think I should just sell my car, pay off what I owe and just apply again?
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

Build Thread
Old 21-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending how and what your current financier says as to what you can or cant do with your loan/car
Most cars under finance cannot be released until they are paid in full
If doin a trade for a new car,the difference between what you owe and what they give you as a trade will be added to the new car some how
IE
IF you owe 11K and the trade in value is 8K , the balance of 3 K is added to the new car
What your car is worth and what you actually get for it as a private sale/trade is two completely different things
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well if you only owe 3-4K on the car, either sell it privately or trade it in and use some of your deposit to finalise the loan.
Then use the balance of your deposit on the new car.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

The process will depend on whether you are selling/buying privately etc.

Is your current loan a Consumer Car Loan or a Personal Loan? If it is a CCL then the current car will have an endorsement and be unable to be released until loan is paid out (Motor Reg has these in their systems). Regardless of this you will need to pay out the current loan:

1. if a CCL, it needs to be paid out in full before it can be transferred to a new owner. You then get a new loan for the new car.

2. if a Personal Loan, you have no obligation to pay it out, as the car was not security but the Financier will then count the current PL as a debt and this will reduce your capacity to borrow for the new one.

Your current Finance Coy will probably give you another loan and they refer to this as 'replacement commitment' - as long as you have capacity, good credit history and have been in your current job of for a length of time.

It is harder to get money and they are very thorough unlike days gone past. In essence, you will need to pay out the current loan at point of private sale. If the car was traded the Dealer pays it out for you and it is a very easy process for you but at a greater cost.

NOTE! If you have had a dramatic change in circumstances (ie been in a new job a couple of months) do NOT sell your current car as you will not get a loan. I had someone come and see me for advice and I gave them this information. They could not get another loan as they hadn't been in their job long enough and fortunately had not yet sold the current car. Be sure you are going to get a new loan before you sell yours and pay out the current one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
News just in: BA XT's have just doubled in price
His is manual, so it can command a higher price.

Carsales
Old 21-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
News just in: BA XT's have just doubled in price
It's a manual, 12k is the going price - check it out for yourself, I'm not an idiot.

Also, it is a CCL.
So what you're saying is, I cannot sell it and use the money I get to pay the remaining balance? It seems so much easier to buy from a dealer in this situation. I really don't know what the payout figure is on my car, I should be finding this out first I should think.

Build Thread
Old 21-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

As far as I am aware, the OP didn't ask for advice on the value of his car so can we keep the discussion on topic.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Also, it is a CCL.
So what you're saying is, I cannot sell it and use the money I get to pay the remaining balance? It seems so much easier to buy from a dealer in this situation. I really don't know what the payout figure is on my car, I should be finding this out first I should think.
I am saying you CAN pay out the balance.

The best way to do this in a private sale is for the Finance Company to give you a written balance for the car for the day it is being collected by the purchaser, as it changes every day.
You go to the Bank (the one the Finance Company uses) with the Purchaser and pay out the balance and he/she gives you the balance of this in either Bank Cheque or cash. DO NOT ACCEPT A PERSONAL CHEQUE!!!
This process ensures the purchaser is happy the car has no balance remaining. The Finance Company can be requested to remove the security from the car asap (some drag their heels with this) but at least they have the security that you have definitely paid and the car is free from debt.

Just keep asking if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 21-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Gaela
It does, thank-you very much!
I think I'm best to first find out how much I owe on my current car, as I've mentioned earlier, and just work my butt off to pay off the remaining amount. Alternatively go to a dealer, which despite the annoying salespeople and dishonesty, is a lot easier than buying privately (Yes, I am aware that you've worked at a dealership before :p)
But thanks anyway, it's cleared up a lot!

Build Thread
Old 21-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Alternatively go to a dealer, which despite the annoying salespeople and dishonesty, is a lot easier than buying privately (Yes, I am aware that you've worked at a dealership before :p)
But thanks anyway, it's cleared up a lot!
I agree - I could write a book about some of the appalling things that go on in a Dealership and great Salespeople are few and far between. :(
You could buy from a Car Yard and the upside with this is the Statutory Warranty. Some good buys Privately and as long as you get the car looked at by someone who knows what they are doing, it is a great way to go. The other big thing is to do a Revs check before you pay for it to make sure it is paid out by the current or previous owners.

Good Luck and PM me if there is ever anything you would like to know/help with.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:

Old 21-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
IWANTANF6

First, u have to call your finance company and ask for payout figure on the car. Most ccl are fixed interest. You said you borrowed 11k but you must add interest and fees which u still have to pay even if you sell the car earlier.
Old 21-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

To check if the vehicle has been stolen, written off or is encumbered perform the follwoing:

Since you are in victoria enter the vehicle registration details and it will return the VIN and whether it is encumbered, stoen etc etc

http://www.vehiclestatuscheck.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Click I have understood the conditions box and hit enter

Enter VIN or registration

http://www.vehiclestatuscheck.vicroa...icleInput.aspx

The site will return the vehicle details...

Vehicle Registration: GCG
VIN/Chassis Number: 6FPAAAJGSW9M42255
Engine Number: JGSW9M42255
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Colour: GREY
Body Type: SEDAN
Year of Manufacture: 2009

Then words in the box below and it will return all the relevant details

Vehicle Status Checks : Results 21/2/2011

Vehicle Registration: GCG
Registration Status: CURRENT UNTIL 14/04/2011
VIN/Chassis Number: 6FPAAAJGSW9M42255