Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
CODSASR

Default how much training do vic police get?

Just wondering how much training non HWP officers get on cars.

I have just gotten home from a BBQ and since I had a few too many I got my brother in law to drive home he is a P plater. Well halfway home we get pulled over two officers got out of the car a older officer and a young one who would have been about 19 or 20 they asked to pop the bonnet and the young one proceded to have a look whial the older one asked whos car it was and asked for my brother in laws licence then went back to his car to check details.

Whial we where waiting the young one came back to the drivers window and said he would have to charge my brother in law for driving a turbo powerd vehicle whial on P plates. I looked over and said show me what your talking about as there is no turbo. When I got to the front of the car he pointed at the throttle body and said thats a turbo just then the older officer showed up asking what the problem was. The young one said that I tried to say there is no turbo and pointed at the throttle body well the older one laughed and said no mate thats the throttle body the young one went a bit red.

In the end we got an apology and sent us on our way. So I am wondering how much the new recruits are tought about cars or did we just get a smart *** one?

( please no cop bashing)

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 21-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

In S.A. if a police officer 'suspects' something isn't legal, he can then defect the car and its up to the owner to take the car through an inspection centre and prove whether or not it is ok. the guys in the inspection centre are switched on to most things.

most times, unless its glareingly obvious, if you give them the 'yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir' respect, generally they will let you go.
Old 21-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with any profession, some people know about mechanical things, and some have literally no idea...it will be no different with cops.

I do think when it comes to things like defects, that they should at least know what they're looking at. I recall getting pulled over for a "roadside mechanical" when I was a younger guy, and all they did was measure tyres, make sure they didn't protrude beyond the guards, check for extractors (back in the early eighties in QLD it was still a defect to put them on a car they didn't come from the factory with but it was generally ignored), and check ride height.

I imagine now they have to carry a list of what sort of car isn't allowed to be driven by a P plater...
Old 21-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think they get much training at all. Got pulled over last night for a breathe test and the arrogant young copper says he can smell drugs in the car and demands to see inside my esky. My Mum's home made lasagna smells nothing like dope, fail! Back to the academy for you. But yeah on the car training thing I feel your pain. I was told my alternator was a supercharger once.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

If its anything like QLD police, they receive a fair amount of training. Just like all things though, people are smarter about some things then others. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, and think of every single possible rule or law, or piece of legislation that he must know, and ask yourself if you could possibly remember them all to 100% accuracy?
Old 21-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If its anything like QLD police, they receive a fair amount of training. Just like all things though, people are smarter about some things then others. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, and think of every single possible rule or law, or piece of legislation that he must know, and ask yourself if you could possibly remember them all to 100% accuracy?

Very true.

Perhaps the young cops mistake is he did not have a quiet word to the senior cop before opening his mouth.

The academy only gives the cops enough knowledge to start out, it is on road with a senior officer that the real learning begins.

Just as it is with us, a student paramedic may look at a line on a cardiac monitor and think the patient is having a heart attack. Once he has asked me about it he may find that it is not a problem and I am not concerned the patient is having a heart attack. The relevance here is the student paramedic has received the base training for the job, it is the experience that I have that makes a competent paramedic.
Old 21-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
CODSASR

I just thought if they are going to enforce these laws they would atleast tech the young officers what a turbo or super charger looks like. I dont hold it againts him atleast now he might have learned somthing.

I guess when you look at it how many different motors he would see it would get confusing for somebody who is not mechanicly minded.

Should police officers have to do a extencive training course before being alowed to issue defects and fines if they dont alredy?

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 21-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
I just thought if they are going to enforce these laws they would atleast tech the young officers what a turbo or super charger looks like. I dont hold it againts him atleast now he might have learned somthing.

I guess when you look at it how many different motors he would see it would get confusing for somebody who is not mechanicly minded.

Should police officers have to do a extencive training course before being alowed to issue defects and fines if they dont alredy?
If they are to do this without competent supervision, then yes very much so.
Old 21-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Very true.

Perhaps the young cops mistake is he did not have a quiet word to the senior cop before opening his mouth.

The academy only gives the cops enough knowledge to start out, it is on road with a senior officer that the real learning begins.

Just as it is with us, a student paramedic may look at a line on a cardiac monitor and think the patient is having a heart attack. Once he has asked me about it he may find that it is not a problem and I am not concerned the patient is having a heart attack. The relevance here is the student paramedic has received the base training for the job, it is the experience that I have that makes a competent paramedic.
100% correct. It the experience that is the REAL training.

Its not until you are out in the field in any job until you know how to read the signs & determine which action to take.

When I first started in drafting, I used to sit at my bosses desk asking how to do this & that for the first few months, now after a few years I very rarely go to him or call him over. Unless its something I have never come across & cant nut out myself.

Just remember, he is a cop. He doesn't know everything about cars. Although IMO he should learn these things before he embarrasses himself. Its things like this that he NEEDS to know, as his job requires it, but isnt taught in the academy.

You can read all the books you want for any occupation, but they dont teach you everything. Its occupations like being a police officer that you need to go out your way, in your own time, to learn how to do your job 99% correct. But unfortunately, some people dont.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 21-02-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 21-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I got pulled over in my old xr6 once, it was a BA and debadged, and the copper thought it was a turbo because it had no badging? I popped the hood and he pointed at the manifold and said that's the turbo...I got the sales document to show him it was not a turbo, and I had the insurance document to prove it too. He let me go but still thought I had a turbo xr6. Which was baffling anyway as in SA and on P plates I can still drive any car I like?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 21-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I'm concerned the real issue here was that the officer was not willing to admit to himself that he did not know and refer to someone who should.

Although I will say the if police want to try and pick out people for illegal mods they should have some basic knowledge of what could possibly be one. That is not necessarily their fault though but rather the lack of training opportunities.

That's a problem in any workplace, not knowing when to ask for assistance rather than make themselves look like an idiot.

I'd be well annoyed if I had to take my car over the pits for something that wasn't an issue and I had told them so but then again every criminal tells them they 'neva did nuthing'
Old 21-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
As far as I'm concerned the real issue here was that the officer was not willing to admit to himself that he did not know and refer to someone who should.

Although I will say the if police want to try and pick out people for illegal mods they should have some basic knowledge of what could possibly be one. That is not necessarily their fault though but rather the lack of training opportunities.

That's a problem in any workplace, not knowing when to ask for assistance rather than make themselves look like an idiot.

I'd be well annoyed if I had to take my car over the pits for something that wasn't an issue and I had told them so but then again every criminal tells them they 'neva did nuthing'
Very well said by both yourself and BBII.

What we don't know from this thread is what kind of discussion the jnr and snr cop behind the closed door of the police car. Just as the general public has not been privy to some of the closed door discussions I have had with student paramedics and jnr qualified paramedics regarding mistakes that I have had to intervene in.

This is a situation in all jobs, from trade through to professional level, mechanic, draftsman, lawyer to doctor etc. Education only goes so far, experience is what leads to competence in all applications of the job.
Old 21-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Forgive me if im wrong, but a throttle body looks nothing like a turbo.

How can you question someone about having a turbo fitted if you dont know what one looks like.
I have never heard anyone refer to a throttle body as a turbo, and ive spoken to some mechanically inept people over the years.

Not good enough, and no excuse.

I think he missed the bit in the training manual where it says...
'Its better to say nothing and look like a fool, than open your mouth and prove it'
Old 21-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Forgive me if im wrong, but a throttle body looks nothing like a turbo.

How can you question someone about having a turbo fitted if you dont know what one looks like.
I have never heard anyone refer to a throttle body as a turbo, and ive spoken to some mechanically inept people over the years.

Not good enough, and no excuse.

I think he missed the bit in the training manual where it says...
'Its better to say nothing and look like a fool, than open your mouth and prove it'
That is what made me start the thred BENT obviously he is not mechanicly minded but still has the authority to issue fines and defects. I understand every one needs on the job training but instead of issuing anything shouldnt he go through a training period in the field where the senior officer teaches him what to look for when pulling cars over and not just lern from a book.

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 21-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Bobman
Regulator

I understand that HWP officers have to do some General Duties time first, so would be very surprised if the young one was under 20 years of age.

As far as training goes, there are plenty who have no interest or idea in cars. These types should not be accepted into HWP.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 21-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #16
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I understand that HWP officers have to do some General Duties time first, so would be very surprised if the young one was under 20 years of age.

As far as training goes, there are plenty who have no interest or idea in cars. These types should not be accepted into HWP.

Sorry should have clarafied in the firt post it was'nt HWP that pulled me over was just general duty guys in a divi van

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 21-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
Bobman
Regulator

Oops, I should have been more careful in reading too.

I was pulled over once by two young guys in a marked General Duties sedan (fresh out of academy) and they did the whole drug search, throwing napkins and pens etc out of the door pocket onto the road. They were very angry that nothing was found.

Pulled over another time by a divisional van crew who were very curious about my BA (at the time) and thought it was a turbo. They paid a lot of attention to the second intake (behind headlight) and I had to explain to them what "those blue things on the right" were (extractors). They were also disappointed that they couldn't book me.

As far as General Duties goes, it's up to the individual on how much they learn about cars or anything else - hence why they shouldn't accept people into the academy without sufficient life skills. There are so many uneducated people in society today and it's more scary when those people join the police force.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 21-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

i don't actually care if cops don't know all the ins and outs of every car on the road. as long as they know most of the ins and outs of the actual road rules, and enforce them, then thats fine by me. rather than pick on stereotypes, it would be nice if they were all 100% impartial in their upholding of the law. they are human though, which makes this virtually impossible. most of the younger ones still have the 'i'm going to change the world' attitude too.
Old 21-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
But yeah on the car training thing I feel your pain. I was told my alternator was a supercharger once.
you must have the high output alternator

Supercharger LOL

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 21-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Up here in qld, even after the P-Plate laws had been in for over 2 years I had a female copper breath test me and say "Well, you're well below 0.05!"

When I responded that I was in fact not allowed ANY alcohol as I was on P Plates she goes "Oh... really? *checks P Plate*, so you are! What else can't you do? Good thing you blew a negative reading!"

I was just in awe, as this was about the third police officer I had explained the P Plates rules to, and been met with the same glazed over look of "Oh really?"
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 21-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously everyone needs to learn while they are on the job. I am still learning stuff at my work after 2 years.
But it doesn't seam right that a cop fresh out of the academy can issue pointless unnecessary tickets and inconvenience people just so the can act like they know whats going on
Old 21-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Obviously everyone needs to learn while they are on the job. I am still learning stuff at my work after 2 years.
But it doesn't seam right that a cop fresh out of the academy can issue pointless unnecessary tickets and inconvenience people just so the can act like they know whats going on

Thats why they are posted with a much higher ranking officer, so the ticket doesnt get handed out, and the young cop learns.
Old 21-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats why they are posted with a much higher ranking officer, so the ticket doesnt get handed out, and the young cop learns.
Yep, 6 months in the academy followed by 12 months on the job training with a field training officer at least in QLD
Old 21-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
As it didn't get handed out in the OP, the senior cop intervened and did his job while the young cop no doubt learnt a lesson.

Seems like in this instance the system worked and the public was not overly inconvenienced.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

In Victoria in varies from very little to quite a lot. Uniform members can undertake a vehicle safety inspection course which goes for a week including practical and written assessments which is very informative. It teaches members the basics in conducting a visual road side inspection. Members can also go on to under take Advanced Studies, a fairly intense 3 week course which is mainly Road Law based but does go into vehicles practically.

I do believe this thread will just become another cop bashing thread though.

Last edited by Redrum; 21-02-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #26
ZcAmbo

Ive had a canery put on my old gemini by a female officer as she clamied the engine was modified because the air cleaner was different to the gemini she looked at earlier in the day (mine was a totaly stock car with stock air cleaner) i had to take the matter to court with letters from holden dealers and documents to prove that this was not modified. im sorry but ive got no time for these sort of coppers if you dont know what it is shut your mouth
Old 21-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum

I do believe this thread will just become another cop bashing thread though.
What do you mean will become a cop bashing thread, I would say it is well on its way.
Old 22-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #28
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Did you even read the thread?

Quote:
In the end we got an apology and sent us on our way.
In answer to the OP. As far as Mechanical training goes for a standard recruit - none. As pointed out already, there are specific courses that can be done afterwards (usually outside of their 2 year Probation period).
Old 22-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #29
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please, I've seen a kid or two buy an older EF of EL XR6, pop the bonnet in joy and proceed to point out " the turbo " in the exact same fashion as this young cop did.
Old 22-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

On the contrary I was with my uncle in his heavily modded subaru wrx wagon. We came onto the highway at Singleton with a bit of acceleration and 2 young officers walked out from behind a sign with speed guns. Officer said "what was the need for the sudden acceleration out of the intersection?"..my uncle replied "just to get into the traffic coming down the highway". Then officer goes "what modifications have been done to this vehicle?" uncle says "not much just exhaust and the driving lights".. Pop the bonnet mate. The young officer then proceeded to point out the aftermarket turbo, dual stage boost controller, intercooler, stainless steel exhaust, injectors and spark plug leads, aftermarket suspension and adjustable strut braces. He let us off with a warning and said nice car to my uncle..As we drove off all my uncle could say was "young bloke knew his rexs". Was funny to see.

So while some police officers may not be car nuts, others know their stuff lol

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Closed Thread