Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How would you like your car?
No warrenty 8 13.79%
As it is now 20 34.48%
Extended warrenty on certain items 16 27.59%
Full blown Total Maintenance Contract 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Ford with no warrenty?

Ok guys, we know Ford service is a little short of the mark....well a long way at some dealerships.

So the question is would you buy a Ford that would have a cheaper RRP but if something breaks on it thats your problem to fix it as no warrenty exists.

Or would you like to go the other way and you pay a 'premium' and this will cover all servicing and repairs and all you have to worry about is petrol and insureance? This would be say 20% of the RRP on the car extra. It would be called a Total Maintenance Contract.

Or an extended warrenty program on certain items, such as engine only etc...

Its just an idea, would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I'd like a warranty that doesn't come with "That's normal" as an excuse, isn't voided by being serviced elsewhere or by something like an air filter (unless its the filter directly that caused the problem).
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Thats the idea behind this extended warrenty or TMR. Your paying for the repair upfront. As that s#itbox of a 4sp is being phased out this would be more viable for Ford as you dont get that BS knocking.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ok guys, we know Ford service is a little short of the mark....well a long way at some dealerships.

So the question is would you buy a Ford that would have a cheaper RRP but if something breaks on it thats your problem to fix it as no warrenty exists.

Or would you like to go the other way and you pay a 'premium' and this will cover all servicing and repairs and all you have to worry about is petrol and insureance? This would be say 20% of the RRP on the car extra. It would be called a Total Maintenance Contract.

Or an extended warrenty program on certain items, such as engine only etc...

Its just an idea, would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks

How about a new dealer network first, before I decide?

Seriously. A full premium maintenance warranty is useless to anyone, if you have to rely on the current dealer network.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

So you picked no warrenty then?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or buy second hand when it costs less and the original owner has gone through the pain of warranty BS. That's what I'd do!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Or buy second hand when it costs less and the original owner has gone through the pain of warranty BS. That's what I'd do!
Considering how cheap one can buy a 2002 model now at the auctions I can see no valid reason to be currently considering a newer model and factory warranty which aint worth a stale cracker...
2002 6 pot auto wagon with a dented guard and broken front bumper averages around $1500.00 atm in Brisbane (3k on the road)
at the auctions
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a idea make a product that works . For me being self employed no car = no work for every day it needs to have some thing fixed i lose a days pay. For no warranty the car would want to be 10k cheaper
An to ask a 20% premium for there stuff ups are you serious.

I am a plasterer can i charge 20% extra just incase your joins crack or would you expect me to do it proply so they dont crack.
I know cars are different but really the less slack the car company's get the better

Last edited by snappy84; 05-12-2008 at 07:58 PM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Actually the 20% would cover all servicing costs, also consumables (like brakes and tyres) and all repairs for 5 years. It works in the heavy machinery industry, just wondering if it will work on the retail side.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Actually the 20% would cover all servicing costs, also consumables (like brakes and tyres) and all repairs for 5 years. It works in the heavy machinery industry, just wondering if it will work on the retail side.

It could work but im to sceptical.
If you paid the 20% you would get a bulletproof car (record profits)
If you choose no warranty they could not care less doesn't effect them. (Record profits for parts)

Last edited by snappy84; 05-12-2008 at 08:14 PM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Its working in a different industry.

It would sorta be done like this
The warrenty is covered by insureance underwriter.
All cars getting serviced at dealer (so parts sales increase after the 3 year period) also the dealer gets the service sales as well as the parts sales and increases their profit margin.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you picked no warrenty then?
Yeap. I'd buy second hand and save some money. If the car had some problems, I could afford to fix them and if it was a lemon, I haven't done as much money as buying new, when I offload it. Also don't need to hang onto the car to hear "they all do that" for three years under warranty.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you paid extra for a Total Maintenance Contract, nothing would change - they'd still try and get out of fixing things, or blame the customer, as they do now, as fixing anything effects their total profit.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
If you paid extra for a Total Maintenance Contract, nothing would change - they'd still try and get out of fixing things, or blame the customer, as they do now, as fixing anything effects their total profit.

How? They dont pay for it. Ford or the underwriter does. The dealer makes money and part sales out of it.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How? They dont pay for it. Ford or the underwriter does. The dealer makes money and part sales out of it.
Who doesn't pay for what? Cost of repairs comes out of someones pocket, so theres still going to be the attemps to minimise costs by the repairer. In the same way that we pay insurance premiums but the insurance companies try their hardest not to pay out! :
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The insurer would probably have an open book agreement or "prefered repairer" agreement which is probably screwed down and negotiated at cost + 5% which means the repairer would still do anything to minimise costs regardless...

Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

I've seen it work, and has sold well to customers. But the car industry may be different.

Also lol at you thinking the cost of this isn't passed onto the customer. The insureance is bought and put on top of the price of the car. Also funny how I haven't ever had trouble with claims from insureance companies.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Even tho Ford are tough with warranty claims ive probably had about 6 kay worth of stuff replaced on my Pursuit.... I think ill stick to warranty thanks.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've had two Fords now and cant complain about the warranty service at all.

The three years /100000km is sufficient.

Warranty is essential for those things that arent quite right to start with. By experience, even VW's etc. have the early problems that should be covered by some warranty, as they are generally manufacturing problems, either by the supplier or by the car manufacturer.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.....I paid $1,200 for my extended warranty and already have had the timing tensioners replaced which is about a grands worth of work...Warranty still has 26 months left...So I've done OK

The last BA I bought new....If I was to have foregone the manufacturers warranty on that and taken a discount off the car price, the discount would have had to have been a good one.

Hand brake - back 3 times - (with tow fees to nearest Ford dealer as we were outta town on Xmas holidays the 3rd time - loud grinding/scraping from rear)
Boot water leak - back twice
Central locking actuator on both rear doors
Bonnet release - repaired twice
CD Player fault
Faulty drivers side power window switch
Electrical fault with alarm/ indicators....resulting in 2 steering column indicator/light stalks replaced, alarm replaced (once they realised that was the problem and three attempts at fixing)

I got off easy

The guys who have had diffs replaced, trans water contamination and resprays on Shockwave paint would have felt even more pain without a factory warranty.

I'd have the warranty every time ..A good insurance policy
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #21
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

I believe it is spelled 'warranty', not with an e. :

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this will never work you can't legally sign away your statutory warranty of 12 months 20K

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
I believe it is spelled 'warranty', not with an e. :
Thanks, make the discussion so much more useful. Like I tell others I'm an engineer I dont have to know how to spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
this will never work you can't legally sign away your statutory warranty of 12 months 20K
Yeah I know there needs to be some warrenty. But I guess you cut it down to the minimum and give a discount on the car.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:

I'll take the car without warranty.

At least when something goes wrong,even though I would have to pay for it at least I know that it would be done properly the FIRST time.

I'm sick of these so called Ford technicians not having a clue as to how to fix a car properly.

Lucky they call them technicians now, as there is no way could call the a mechanic.

:
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not like Ford's warrenty is worth anything anyway......

"thats normal", "we started a few up in the yard and they all sound like that" or "thats within ford tolorences".......

What a joke, dont even get me started.......
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Ford isn't renound for its build quality and I've had several issues with new Fords I've bought in the past.

For some reason I had to pay $1500 on my EF Ghia *during its warranty period* to have the aircon fixed (and upgraded to take a different gas) because it seized and snapped the fan belt, which was a common fault.

2nd time around when my BA diffuser seized and on 3 consecutive services when they claimed they didn't have enough time to fix it, when they finally did find the time they then said it was out of warranty. Kicked up a stink and they fixed it under warranty the next scheduled service. No longer own a Ford.

3rd party warranty, would see even more problems.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate has a BF XLS ute and far out the build quality is shocking. There's a difference between cheap plastics and dodgy plastics!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #28
xccoupe

No. What would be the point of buying a new car, they (the car manufactures) would have no duty of care.

Then you have another 5hit fight with an insurance company to get a brand new car fixed!!!!. Another middle man to deal with to add to the cost of your new car!!

When we (my wife & I) took possession of our new HOLDEN we were given a book with the projected cost of the service and what would need to be replaced at that service interval and true to form the pricing was spot on, we offloaded the vehicle after 110K(but that’s another story).

It was a big enough pain in the rear getting the dealer to get the car fixed, let alone a third party insurance company trying to cut costs who deal with a repair company who are trying to cut cost, and if an insurance company is involved you would lose your no claims bonus!

Think about the last time you had to deal with an insurance company to get a smash repair completed to a satisfactory standard
We would have 1 year old car that needs a new transmission that would be a repairable write-off, and the snow ball starts to roll.

Give me a 5 year 120 k Factory warranty, Ombudsmen with greater powers, lemon laws, fixed price servicing, Quality control and Build quality, A Company who stands behind its products, better engineers. And when we sell the vehicle after 2 years the next owners (Mum & Dad AUSTRALIA with kids) have a current model car with balance of a new car warranty. We don’t need more sorta leeches :
Cheers
Tony
xccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #29
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I just want a waranty without the pain, everytime I take the Fords in for Waranty I get a headache from the rubbish Im told. I sometimes look forward to having to pay for it myself as I dont have to get into a fight with the FORD TRAINED TECHNICIAN. Dont think crossing to the dark side is any better my brother in law loves his Holdens and gets the same rubbish responses
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post