Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

Default XR6T into an AU!?

I have recently come across a good opportunity, I have found a BA XR6T that was in an accident and is being sold as a wreck. What I wanted to know was how hard would it be to fit the motor, trans and maybe driveline to an AU? Has this been done anywhere?

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

MK1 trans are the same, Its not a overtly hard job if you take the ECU and looms to an auto elec first, BUT consider some of the E'series cars are making better HP at a fraction of the cost on the SOHC motors.. I looked into it but working the SOHC motor was considerably cheaper

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

i think you should do it, take lots of photo's, document every little thing, put it in a post, and make it a sticky. i still think people will ask the same question instead of searching still. :
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want something a little different it would be a great weapon. Top it of with edit cai & extractors & exhaust. If it was an AUXR6? it would be awesome & lighter than the BA it would be a sweet ride.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).

Last edited by MoreHPformyXR6; 30-03-2006 at 09:51 PM.
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon
I have recently come across a good opportunity, I have found a BA XR6T that was in an accident and is being sold as a wreck. What I wanted to know was how hard would it be to fit the motor, trans and maybe driveline to an AU? Has this been done anywhere?

is the dash anygood ? can you transplant the whole loom and dash??

would make an interesting AU

go on do it !!!
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Falchoon

Wouldn't you need to fit the BA ICC as well?

Personally I see it as a major job and depending on how much work you do your self you could easily end up spending more on AU than what you could pick up a good running BA XR6T for. If you look around you can get BA XR6Ts for low $20K these days - possibly even <$20K, Australia's quickest (9.98 sec) XR6T recently sold for about $26K.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
If you want something a little different it would be a great weapon. Top it of with edit cai & extractors & exhaust. If it was an AUXR6? it would be awesome & lighter than the BA it would be a sweet ride.
Can't have Turbo & Extractors - it's one or the other. Wouldn't matter if it's an AUXR6 or an AU Forte - both are lighter than the BA. Armageddons car is a Futura, IIRC.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Can't have Turbo & Extractors - it's one or the other. Wouldn't matter if it's an AUXR6 or an AU Forte - both are lighter than the BA. Armageddons car is a Futura, IIRC.
She's actually a Forte. The car is complete just damaged after it hit a pole on the drivers side A and B Pillars, if I remember right he also damaged the front right control arms etc. I would love to do it, I just need to convince the other guys in the shop that it would be worth buying the wreck and doing the transplant. If it does go ahead it will all be done in house as a demo/test mule. Interior is listed as A+++++++.

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Wouldn't you need to fit the BA ICC as well?

Personally I see it as a major job and depending on how much work you do your self you could easily end up spending more on AU than what you could pick up a good running BA XR6T for. If you look around you can get BA XR6Ts for low $20K these days - possibly even <$20K, Australia's quickest (9.98 sec) XR6T recently sold for about $26K.
cheapest i've seen one was 24,500 in the last 3 months and that had 100,00km's
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
snailracing

Sometimes people just don't understand being different just for the sake of being different. I you really want to do it, I think a AU Dohc Turbo would be fantastic. The AU is of much lighter than the BA but still shares alot of bodywork with the BA so it would be alot eaiser the the Dohc Turbo engine into XF ute that I am doing.
For you engine drop in should be basicly that - Just drop in. You may have a issue with the top of the engine in the front being a bit higher than the Ohc engine, and you may need to make some spacers to drop the engine mounts down a bit (this may or may not work as I am using different mount than you would, but this is what I have done).
By far the biggest hurdle to overcome will be making the factory ECU work (I'm still working on this) but you have one advantage over me as you will have everything! make sure you buy the whole car and done get rid of anything untill the AU Dohc is all up and running.

Anyways good luck, PM me if you have any more questions or want to talk about it more
snailracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post