Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
pod66

Default meguires polish

has anyone had any experiences with meguires nxt tech wax 2.0, just used it on my black territory, what a f---ing disaster, spent 5 hrs on the car, starting with a clay bar,then swirl remover, at this point all was ok then i polished it with the tech wax and it looked like someone had wiped the whole car with a greasy rag, there were smears all over it, had to redo it with my old faithful bottle of turtle wax, yeh i know some of you may laugh, but ive always had a decent result with turtle wax, was thinking of using mothers californian gold wax as i will never touch a meguires product again

pod66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

i have the same problem sometimes with meguires. I find a really clean microfibre cloth, and ALOT of elbow grease helps. Ive always had to use a fair amount of pressure with the meguires polish. Maybe a buff would help?

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

u put too much on and didnt get it off quick enough.. thats what its telling me!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
pod66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
u put too much on and didnt get it off quick enough.. thats what its telling me!!
on the bottle it says allow to dry, but does not say how long , it would not have been any longer than 10mins, the microfibre cloth was brand new and i use 2 of them to polish a whole car so i think they were clean, would the fact they were new make any difference? do they work better after a wash?
pod66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
First thing that sprang to my mind too.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Ibrox90
Banned

T wax ice never had an issue. layers up very nicely

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
G6LTD09
FG G6 Limited Ed

Yes had the same problem with the smear marks the first time I used the gold wax, went away the next day when i gave it a quick wash. The second time I waxed was ok, I suppose I was a bit more careful applying though and removing.
G6LTD09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been a while since i have polished a car and when i did i always used maguires, but it was the old school carnubara (spelling) wax.

i used to have a bag of old towels / nappies to apply and remove the polish and wax, and i used to go through them. about 4 small towels each time around the car, ie 4 for swirl remove, 4 for polish, 4 for wax..
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
been a while since i have polished a car and when i did i always used maguires, but it was the old school carnubara (spelling) wax.

i used to have a bag of old towels / nappies to apply and remove the polish and wax, and i used to go through them. about 4 small towels each time around the car, ie 4 for swirl remove, 4 for polish, 4 for wax..
You do realise that using towels/nappies on the paint will be inducing the swirl marks you are trying to hide? I say hide as it sounds like you are applying by hand. You will need a machine to remove swirls effectively.

Back on topic, as others have said, you have applied to much wax, was the surface of the car hot? Were you in complete shade? Both of these would of made matters worse.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Arr
You do realise that using towels/nappies on the paint will be inducing the swirl marks you are trying to hide? I say hide as it sounds like you are applying by hand. You will need a machine to remove swirls effectively.
ahh, nope, didn't realise.

i never trusted myself not to burn the paint or stuff it royally with a buffer machine..
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Seems like the rag wasn't soaking up the polish.... Ive had this happen to me to as well and i find a bit more "wax on" gets its good..
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

I JUST got done using NXT gen tech wax 2.0 paste (tin) - looks great. I decided 3/4 the way through that 2 microfibre cloths would be best for next time as it relaly clogs up fast on there - my first time using a dedicated wax though so used too much I think.

Some parts sat there for about 10 mins but generally i left it less than 3 mins I'd guess? Came up great! Silver car so not as "deep" as a dark colour but it feels OH so smooth now and reflects the light great!

Oh and isn't a polish and a wax different - polish is eeeeeever so sightly abrasive, smooths swirls out of the clear coat/paint, then the wax gives protectant layer? I could eaily be wrong though.

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

You are correct that polishes are an abrasive, and come in many levels of abrasiveness (or 'cut'). Although some of the cheaper products such as meguires or turtle wax will advertise products as a polish and wax in one, but in all honestly its does neither to any great effect.
For not much more than the price of meguires products you can buy better quality products from people such as Dave from Waxit (site sponsor) which will have a much greater result. www.waxit.com.au is most defiantly worth checking out.
Old 25-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also experienced this problem with the meguiars nxt tech wax 2. Just seemed like a pig of a wax to remove by hand, had to resort to using the buffer.

I've since gone back to meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax, comes off as easy as it goes on. Very little swirl marks left behind if any at all, that's only buffing by hand too.

Phyber, I also think that is correct, polish cuts into the clear ever so slightly to help remove small marks, wax is simply a protective coating.
nipper575 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

For people that have trouble removing wax for various reasons, spray some quick detailer on to the panel and wipe off, will wipe off the QD and remove the wax.
Old 25-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #16
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what the heck?! I use this product heaps and it always has given me excellent results

I use it over the nxt gen wash stuff and if you did there is something to watch out for if you mix the wash stuff too strong you need to rinse really really well as if you don't when you apply the wax over it when the surface is still soapy from the wash it doesn't work because the polish goes cloudy for some reason I have had this happen on a small area because I didnt rinse properly once so i rewashed and re polished area and it solved it.

also the nxt gen stuff is a million times easier to rub off than meguiars gold class the polish goes cloudy and if you touch it with finger and rub fingers together it feels like dry talc powder this is when you rub it off if you try to rub it off wet it is extremely difficult to get off because it wants to stay adhered to your car and not to the cloth

hope this helps you and dont despair the products are good but as with most polishing products some suit your personal technique better than others.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #17
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

""at this point all was ok then i polished it with the tech wax""

sounds like you have a problem in the procedure ie your not doing it right (I've done similar in the past)

You should use a polish like Meguires deep (works great on black cars) and then apply the nex gen tech wax over the top like , because is more of a "sunscreen"

I've got a black ute and I know where your coming from, if its not done correctly you get to see every little mistake.

By the way, I'd give my lefty for a decent Chamois, I've just about tried them all, I find that its my biggest problem on leaving marks after a wash.

Also when I apply and hand buff polish or wax, I NEVER let it dry to a haze and remember LESS is MORE, I'd rather put on 2 small coats of polish and buff inbetween and 1 or 2 coats of wax as its much easier to do in thinner layers.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab

Last edited by Bundy; 25-01-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've used both their Tech wax and their Yellow Wax, and I tend to prefer the latter. I've never used a machine. Always done by hand. Can't fault the results.

Its very, very tempting to use a bit too much wax when applying. I think we've all done that from time to time, and yep, it will go all thick and gluggy on you if you use too much. Carefully applied in an even, thin layer and you shouldn't have any dramas.

Remember that the content of the wax that actually bonds to your paintwork is only a few microns thick. The rest is buffed away, so if you apply any more than the thinnest of coats when you apply it, all you're doing is making work for yourself as you'll have to buff it all off anyway.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
sbcb
BA Xr8

Found Tech Wax good, no problems. The advice on this forum for how long to leave a synthetic/polymer sealent "wax" such as NXT wax is about half an hour to give its best bonding and protection.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #20
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod66
has anyone had any experiences with meguires nxt tech wax 2.0, just used it on my black territory, what a f---ing disaster, spent 5 hrs on the car, starting with a clay bar,then swirl remover, at this point all was ok then i polished it with the tech wax and it looked like someone had wiped the whole car with a greasy rag, there were smears all over it, had to redo it with my old faithful bottle of turtle wax, yeh i know some of you may laugh, but ive always had a decent result with turtle wax, was thinking of using mothers californian gold wax as i will never touch a meguires product again
You might be referring to the hologram effect, does this "greasy look" have a few colours of the rainbow in sunlight? If so like many have mentioned this is the result of applying too much product, spray on some quick detailer and give it a wipe with some microfibre towels
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #21
kezzer

Ive got paint protection on my car, do i need to wax anytime soon? It's a year and a half old now. If so what would you recomend I use? Do I need a polish and wax? Ive never owned a car worth polishing. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
sen

had the same issue on my black skyline using the new meguire's tech wax stuff

there was a noticeable milky sorta watermark thingy(sorry best explanation i can come up with) all over the bonnet/roof. Has disappeared after a wash a week later though.

maybe its just more noticeable on black cars? will see how it goes on my ute this weekend
sen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #23
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Ive got paint protection on my car, do i need to wax anytime soon? It's a year and a half old now. If so what would you recomend I use? Do I need a polish and wax? Ive never owned a car worth polishing. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

If water is still beading I wouldnt if you polish it you will remove yuor paint protection
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Another for "You're using to much", or your applying it in the sun or on a hot panel.

A glob the size of a 5c piece is more than enough to do half the bonnet and leave it for 15mins.. To take it off with ease, with a microfibre, fold it in half, and then half again. You then have 8 sides of the cloth to take the product off with so divide the car into 8. A lot of people will just use the 2 sides of a microfibre with an open palm in the middle. Use the whole towel. Then with another towel go over the car again.

Last point is that you last step product, in this case NXT wax, is only as good as your prep work.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
sic 40t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod66
dont mean to be a ******** but wen i look for polish i walk past turtle wax mother not bad meguiers is the ******** you have done some thing wrong i you it once a week if see what the car look it hang the ******** on my mate have a black car no problems did you have in the sun doing ? i do mine in the sun due to no garage sweet you did it wrong
sic 40t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Yep I still haven't found anything better than Turtlewax.

Always gives an excellent result every single time.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I use Eagle one on my car and that looks fantastic, helped my brother put tech wax on his merc and it came up a treat!
Old 27-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #28
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

With the Meguiars NXT Gen waxes, do the whole car, then leave it on for minimum half hour, even closer to 45mins/1 hour....
And remember the old saying, the more you put on, the more you need to get off!!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #29
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic 40t
dont mean to be a ******** but wen i look for polish i walk past turtle wax mother not bad meguiers is the ******** you have done some thing wrong i you it once a week if see what the car look it hang the ******** on my mate have a black car no problems did you have in the sun doing ? i do mine in the sun due to no garage sweet you did it wrong
sorry but is this english used:

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
lubby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic 40t
Wish i could unmderstand what your saying?
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post