Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Issue with a performance workshop... help!

Hi everyone, some of you from the Au section may know im having a 3.9 LSD put in.

First of all I saw a diff advertised here on AFF for a ute 3.45 LSD. It was priced reasonably so I rang my mechanic and asked him how much hassle it was to fit a ute diff to a sedan because ive heard it was a straight swap. He told me it needed to be shimmed to fit and that it was no problem. I got a quote for fitting the gears, shimming the centre and swapping the centre into my car for $880 including diff oil which i thought was a very good price (I deal with them a lot) so I investigated the option of getting a reco'ed diff just to be sure.
I was quoted $1540 for a fully reconditioned diff with quality used gears of my choice in ratio, they confirmed 3.9 was no problem (from a diff place in Geelong) who work with a local performance shop in Werribee who would fit it for $275 so to make a nice round figure we will say all up itll cost $1800.

I paid $300 for my diff and $300 for my diff gears, add to $880 and we get $1480. That is $300 odd cheaper than getting a reco'ed diff so I went through my regular mechanic.
Soon enough, I deliver the mechanic my ute diff and a week later my diff gears. I told him if i could get it in within 2 weeks thatd be great. This was roughly around the start of November. He said yep no problem, ill let you know when were ready to put it in. I get a call saying "oh by the way, you will need new wheel bearings, thatll be $275, we can reuse the old ones but they may damage and be noisy" so i said go ahead. This is now $1155. Now i dont mind someone having a slip up, but this means the $300 i was saving is now nothing.
This is not the first time theyve underquoted, gotten the job, then decided to charge me for other necessary things they neglected to mention when i was first quoted.
So i just bit the bullet and thought ok now were even, thats ok.

Now we go through November, no call. I ring up every 2-3 weeks and they say yehh we are so busy, trying to fit it in. beyond the joke. i told him i wanted it in before christmas and he kept saying next week, next week. so they didnt even start it until last week!

Last week i get a call saying that part of the diff was bottoming out and needed remachining so it would have to be sent to the diff place. He said to me "you can leave it as it is and it may start single spinning in 6-12 months or get it remachined, itll cost you $250"
so i said, $250 is cheap insurance i dont want to pull it out in 6 months time
i asked him what the final quote would be now and he told me $1380 would cover everything, ready to drive away. i asked if the whole thing was damaged and he told me the lsd was in good condition, just the one bit needed remachining. then i asked him if it was going to go straight in now cuz its a ute diff. Now i reminded him nearly everytime i phoned up to see if it was ready that it was a ute diff, i asked him about it before i bought it and we spoke of it numerous times.
HE FORGOT. his own fault for leaving the bloody thing there for 3 months and putting other jobs he obviously deemed more important first. i said to him well ive told you so many times, its not coming out of my pocket. he reassured me that he wouldnt charge me and he would deal with it. he said so they dont have to take the entire thing apart again, we can simply swap the housing from my current diff with the ute diff and it will fit perfect.
i said sure, go for it, if it works and its easiest for you (i felt bad that the had to put in more work but it is their own fault)

when i dropped the car off i asked what it would cost for me to have the ute diff housing put onto my single spinning 3.23 because it was in good nick and id like to sell it. i also asked if i could grab the 3.45 gears from the ute diff too. they told me itd be about 100 bucks to put the housing on the centre so i could sell it. i said well i will only get about 200 for it so i guess we can do it, they said no problem

today i get ready to pick up the car, i get a call saying the car is done, oh and by the way the bill comes to $2070
WTF??
now they are trying to tell me $1380 was just for the diff centre... PLUS fitting, PLUS they decided to charge me... wait for it... $300 to put my old centre in the ute housing for me to sell. wtf? they quoted me $100, why would i agree to spend $300 on a pretty useless diff when i would realistically probably get $150 for it?? why on earth would i agree to that?
now i am arguing with them about the pricing, what am i supposed to do? ive been there 5-6 times for various things and they have never given me a written quotation. i confirmed the end price because i wanted to make sure i had the cash to pick up the car of course, no issues there

then they decide to tell me that the diff was completely stuffed and the whole thing had to be reconditioned. not only was this contrary to what i was told only last week but they went ahead and spent a crapload more on something i didnt and had i known would NOT have approved.
I DONT HAVE A LIMITLESS BUDGET.
my dad reckons theyre trying to get back the money they spent stuffing around with the ute diff.
so now i am up for a total of $2600 as opposed to what i could have gotten for $1800 in the first place. i understand things go wrong sometimes and i need to be charged more and i am fine if they ring up and explain why and ask before they go ahead and spend $1000

now i cant afford to pick up my car, they are disputing my every word, this has become ridiculously expensive and with the story changing every 5 minutes i have a feeling i am being ripped off, whether the extra work was needed or not i cant be sure anymore

what do i do??? im stressing really badly, am i in the wrong somewhere here, have i missed something? they are treating me like an idiot! what rights do i have in this situation without a written quotation?

256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry about the long post, i figure post all the details to make things easier to understand
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 23-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

mate that sucks and i feel for you, but unless you have it in writting there is nothing you can do about it. no doubt they are taking you for a ride though
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
03wrx

In my line of business if a customer has a complaint they cant deal with personally, as its getting nowhere, they can call the ombudsman, and my association. Then the ombudman and my association, question me on the matter. Getting a formal complaint is not good for the business.

Just document everything you spoke about in person, and on the phone. Put it in date order. When you dropped off the car, what you paid for parts, etc. Get anyone who was with you or who knows the story to witness your statement is true. Get your phone statement to verify the amount of times you called them.They will then negotiate for you, and you make it clear you only have $1*** dollars you can pay and no more.

It can be very effective, and the one time in 17years it happened to me (and seriously the person was a nutcase), to make the problem go away, I refunded the entire amount, and let them keep the goods.
03wrx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There isn't much you can do really without a written quote.

It is his word against yours. You could go to Dept Fair Trading but it could be ages before he was prepared to let the car go.

Try and come to a compromise with him somewhere in the middle, get your car and never go back to him.

Just remember,there are plenty of douche bags like him around and that is why when you need some work done you do it through a forum sponsor as they WILL look after you
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Name and Shame !

Dont let another forum member get screwed over.........

Got to feel sorry for you mate, remember that your not alone, plenty of us have been burnt before. i use my mobile phone to record conversations these days, that way i can referance everything, "word for word".

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

did you sign a service authorisation form or job card of some sort? if not you can jump in the car and driveaway, because legally you didnt authorise ny repairs and f it gets taken to court or small claims etc you will win.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Scott

I feel for you, mechanics seem to be the one trade that a quote means absolutely stuff all. They simply do not care that they gave you a firm quote, they simply don't care that they shonk you with GST and they simply don't care that if you knew how much they were going to "over charge" you, you would have just done the work yourself.

I've been bitten over and again by shops doing this sort of crap, it just seems accepted that mechanics can get away with what the rest of the trade world would get crucified for.

Sometimes, the additional costs are well justified - but give me the chance to decide whether or not you'll do them.

The shame is that there is really only 3 things to do:

1. Smack him in the mouth and take your car - deal with whatever comes of it;
2. Call the cops and tell them he is holding your car;
3. Pay him and stew on it - add the extra to the car when you sell it;

There seems to be no point calling Fair Trading unless you have forever to sit around and hope.

Good luck, I'm starting to lean toward number one more and more though.

disclaimer - don't care how many mechanics jump up and down and tell me I'm "generalising" because this is my experience. A good experience is hard to find.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put it down to experience and move on, better to have this sort of problem with a diff and $800 than an engine or a car for thousands. Hopefully from this you'll find a quality workshop to deal with in the future.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You dont have to pay for the recon diff as you didnt authorise it. They're not allowed to do that.
And im surprised they didnt tell you about the bearings in the first place. Would be obvious if they do diffs all the time.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Kryton

ask for a written bill detailing every item that your paying for.
Then you can start disputing each and every charge.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the responses guys I'm meeting them on Wednesday with my dad after the long weekend so I'm not going to name and shame until I get a chance in case we can sort something out. I might call the dept of fair trading to find out exactly what my rights are so I can wave it in front of them when I see them.
I'm really angry because if I was informed the diff needed $1300 of work done to it I would have paid for their time taking it apart and walked away and bought a recoed one and still saved money as I could have gotten what I paid for the diff gears and sold the LSD to someone who wants to thrash it for a few months
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 23-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
if I was informed the diff needed $1300 of work done to it I would have paid for their time taking it apart and walked away and bought a recoed one and still saved money as I could have gotten what I paid for the diff gears and sold the LSD to someone who wants to thrash it for a few months
And that is exactly the point that the fools seem to miss. It is your choice how and when you elect to spend your money - not theirs.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Hopefully your meeting goes well with them, if it does not , I say pay them via aust post money order sent to them by recipted regerstered mail, include with payment a letter stating you intend to dispute the matter with fair trading etc, and also all of what has been stated above. At the end of he letter put in something along the way of: Payment of this is made on the understanding that I am paying in order to recieve the goods back so you can make use of them, but you reserve the right to bring this letter to the attention of the court/accc/fair trading at the appropriate time. Take a photo copy of the money order also. that way you have record they recieved payment and a signature to say they recived the letter also.
Old 23-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
And that is exactly the point that the fools seem to miss. It is your choice how and when you elect to spend your money - not theirs.
also they specifically said the LSD in in good condition and a week later when it's bill time it's completely stuffed and needed a full reco
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 23-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have had this once or twice and both times a punch in the mouth was the only thing that worked, after trying to resolve it in all other ways. i have no time for this cr*p or the people involved with the shafting. Now if their is anything i need done i can't do myself and some1 i trust can't do the job they get a warning before they get the car, have been refused the work but its just how it goes.
At least they know it won't be tolerated
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Pay the bill and get back at them in other ways.. Naming and shaming is first on the list..
Old 23-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pay what you owe and tell him to undo everthing you didn't approve
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
CFOUR
The Destroyer

My brother took his girlfriends magna in for a new clutch and the workshop put a brand new gearbox in it that was intended for another magna in their workshop. When he arrived to pick it up they tried to charge my brother for it saying he'd asked for a new box. A swift mention of a forthcoming right hook and all they ended up billing him for was the clutch.

My dad is acctualy a automotive engineer(out of trade for years) so him slamming his certifacate down on the counter and telling them how they should conduct themselves is usually my plan b after non threatning derogatory verbal abuse and before the need to resort to violence.

As tezxr8man said it's best to forworn people to concequences before handing over the keys.

Last edited by CFOUR; 23-01-2010 at 09:29 PM.
CFOUR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

grab a carload of mates.

go around there

and advise "here is your $1800 cash, i am taking my car"

hopefully you have a spare key.....

take your car and walk out.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing I would be worried about is, if you leave your car there for a little while, will they be thrashing it around? Do you remember exactly how many KM's were on it?
Old 24-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #22
FG G6 LE
Starter Motor

Seriously how can you be so Naive dude?
AU2 XR8 Ute
AU2 XR6 Ute
Current
1996 Hilux twin cab Tamworth edition
Soon to be
FG G6 LE
FG G6 LE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #23
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

i came from a world where you took a bloke on his word, alot of people still live by such honour.

So its not that Stattic is naive at all, its that some FN low life abused the fact that he believed that someone he left his car with (for such a long time) could be trusted.

Sorry FG G6 LE, but that was a bit harsh !!

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #24
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with cant.

Head over there and go off your nut. Don't take crap.

Let us know how you go.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #25
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can say it's naive but I've gone there 5-6 times and haven't had a problem and u always communicate over the phone as they are 30 minute drive away so they don't give me written quotes

Yesi do have a spare set of keys I really need the car it has my GPS and other stuff i need but my dads advising me against taking the car by force
Monday I will call dept of fair trading find out ny rights and if they don't like what I offer to pay them I will be getting the ombudsman to investigate asap and I will not leave the car there during the investigation as it may take a while people say

we don't live in an innocent world I guess it's the last time I can take someones word for something now I will have to get written quotes every time and reiterate that I am to be informed of any extra expenses prior to work
now I'll be known as one of those ball breaking customers...
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 24-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #26
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can say it's naive but I've gone there 5-6 times and haven't had a problem and u always communicate over the phone as they are 30 minute drive away so they don't give me written quotes

Yesi do have a spare set of keys I really need the car it has my GPS and other stuff i need but my dads advising me against taking the car by force
Monday I will call dept of fair trading find out ny rights and if they don't like what I offer to pay them I will be getting the ombudsman to investigate asap and I will not leave the car there during the investigation as it may take a while people say

we don't live in an innocent world I guess it's the last time I can take someones word for something now I will have to get written quotes every time and reiterate that I am to be informed of any extra expenses prior to work
now I'll be known as one of those ball breaking customers...

your dads a smart man to exhaust all avenues first.

unfortunately some people live to annoy others.

big deal what this "mechanic" thinks of you.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #27
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one would think that with all the stories like this that end up being publicized it would make mechanics really think twice about doing anything shonky as this type of garbage will take $ out of his back pocket and into someone elses who has a better reputation

I wish you the best of luck with this and hope you are able to reach a suitable outcome

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, I appreciate the support

I'm surprised no one has said I've done something wrong there's always someone on here with a negative attitude lol
and that's it they're going to lose my future business which would have been a fair bit and I will spread my experience around telling names if they refuse to be reasonable
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 24-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the support

I'm surprised no one has said I've done something wrong there's always someone on here with a negative attitude lol
and that's it they're going to lose my future business which would have been a fair bit and I will spread my experience around telling names if they refuse to be reasonable
'Word of mouth' advertising is the best advertising, good and bad. Tell all your mates about your bad experience, and let that mechanic know you will. He might do a deal.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #30
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
grab a carload of mates.

go around there

and advise "here is your $1800 cash, i am taking my car"

hopefully you have a spare key.....

take your car and walk out.
My thought process exactly.