Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RE: Brake Fluid Change

Hi All,

As the Mondeo has just turned 2yrs old I decided to get the brake fluid changed.
It is recommended to do every 24mths.

My car is 03/2011 Build.
05/2011 Compliance.
09/2011 First Registered.

So the brake fluid is scheduled to be changed at its next service; 2yr / 30,000kms service. (The car only has 15,000kms on the ODO).

However I decided to get it done based on the fluid in the car actually now being 2yrs old...

The Mondeo EcoBoost brake fluid specs are Super Dot 4 / Ford Spec WSS-M6C65-A2 (this is a Low Viscosity spec similar to Dot 5.1). Mostly required for EU markets.

I was unable to source the Super Dot 4 LV brake fluid in Australia and as most UK dealerships where reluctant to ship to Australia I did some futher research and after looking at many different types of brake fluid I decided on the following brake fluid; ATE TYP200.

The main reason for this is the brake system on my Mondeo includes ATE Calipers and ATE Brake Booster. So I thought it best to run that fluid also.

The ATE TYP200 is sold in a 1L Can.
About 650ml was used for the full flush. So a little left over if ever required for top up.

ATE TYP200
SAE Specs
J1703-4 /FMVSS 116 / Super DOT 4 / Amber in colour
Dry Boiling Point = min. 280 degrees
Wet Boiling Point = min. 198 degrees

Super Dot 4 minimum spec.
Dry Boiling Point = min. 260 degrees
Wet Boiling Point = min. 180 degrees

Yes I am aware that there are more Racing Inspired Fluids available locally that are over 300 degrees. However for me the Wet Boiling Point is one of the most important factors and the ATE TYP200 has a very high Wet Boiling Point in comparison to some of the more expensive Racing Fluids.

Has it changed much on the car?

Not really, however the pedal feels more solid and I now have the peace of mind knowing that it is a good preventative measure.

Just my thoughts guys...

I hope this hels other make a decision when you are next looking at doing a small project on your Mondeo.

BTW: Ford Australia only use one brake fluid accross the whole range, no matter what car you drive.
It only meets Ford Spec WSS-M6C55-A2.

However, our Mondeo's require the following;

Mondeo (MA- MB) require Ford Spec WSS-M6C57-A2.
Mondeo (MC) require Ford Spec WSS-M6C65-A2 (Low Viscosity).

If in doubt, refer to your owners manual / specs page.

Old 29-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brake Fluid Change

A week or so on now and the pedal feel remains very good, better than before! I would highly recommend the ATE TYP200 Brake Fluid to anyone looking to change their brake fluid as per the 2yr requirement...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still going strong - perfect pedal feel!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

BTW: Ford Australia only use one brake fluid accross the whole range, no matter what car you drive.
It only meets Ford Spec WSS-M6C55-A2.

However, our Mondeo's require the following;

Mondeo (MA- MB) require Ford Spec WSS-M6C57-A2.

So does this mean that if I had the brake fluid changed under warranty by the dealer, then my warranty is now void ? (due to sub-standard replacement parts)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am no expert, however after talking with various Australian Suppliers and also Ford UK it appears that the standards are different in Australia vs European markets. I would not be concerned about what Ford AU put in the car...

For me however, I was seeking to get the correct fluid that met the standards outlined for the vehicle.

Basically it is just a fluid that works in lower temperature conditions. But one could argue that we might also see these conditions in our own snowy mountain areas...

For me, the above works well!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
nevetsg

Hi, can I ask where you purchased this from? I have just completed the rest of the 120K service and need to get the breaks flushed. I will get a real mechanic to do it but might bring my own fluid.
Why not do it myself? For the sake of $50 I want to be sure that the breaks work afterwards...

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a guy selling these locally in Australia from eBay.
Did a quick search and looks like he is no longer selling them.
Old 19-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did another Brake Fluid change today and sourced some Original ATE SL.6 (Low Viscosity) Brake Fluid. It comes in a 1L tin and I used about 900ml.
This is a Class 6 Brake Fluid and importantly meets the Ford Spec WSS-M6C65-A2 (Low Viscosity) which I was unable to source from Ford locally or Ford UK (as they will no longer send it in the mail).
I get this done as a preventative measure and at the same time I had a brake / suspension check and all seems fine. Original rotors and pads are still going great!

Here is a link to Original ATE SL.6 http://www.ate-na.com/www/ate_us_en/...bf_sl6_us.html