Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Operation Tonka

For those who believe that the police need to do more...they are...

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...ion-tonka.html

Quite a good result from them, it seems most people are getting the 'don't drink and drive' message.

No speed cameras booking people, just grunt police work - picking up the odd stupid souls who decide to drive unroadworthy and unregistered vehicles.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Operation Tonka

Yep, good one.

Each was removed from the road NOT sent a picture and an invoice.

REAL road safety enforcement........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep, good one.

Each was removed from the road NOT sent a picture and an invoice.

REAL road safety enforcement........
On that note, they did accidently send out 5700 infringements WITHOUT the location on them and are now being forced to contact each person and let them know...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 29-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I do not understand why Australians are now content to be pulled up at road blocks while going about their legal business.

I travel this road to the airport. I would not be happy if I was late for a plane because of this and had to wait 24 hours for the next one or had to cancel a business trip.

"Last week police ran Operation Tonka over two days and performed 854 preliminary breath tests and issued 18 penalty notices for offences including motorists not wearing seatbelts, unregistered vehicles, exceeding the speed limit and displaying false number plates".

Good use of resources, not.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I do not understand why Australians are now content to be pulled up at road blocks while going about their legal business.

I travel this road to the airport. I would not be happy if I was late for a plane because of this and had to wait 24 hours for the next one or had to cancel a business trip.

"Last week police ran Operation Tonka over two days and performed 854 preliminary breath tests and issued 18 penalty notices for offences including motorists not wearing seatbelts, unregistered vehicles, exceeding the speed limit and displaying false number plates".

So in your terms, no one should be pulled over at all?

That's kind of insane, everyone complains about speed cameras being revenue raisers, and yet when police actually get out there and do 'their job' they get ragged on too?

Not a lot of logic there.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 29-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
So in your terms, no one should be pulled over at all?

That's kind of insane, everyone complains about speed cameras being revenue raisers, and yet when police actually get out there and do 'their job' they get ragged on too?

Not a lot of logic there.
It is funny that in most western civilised countries I travel to you only get pulled over if you have done something wrong.

As my car is always roadworthy and I do not see whey I should be delayed when going about my legal business.

It is something Australians have given up for the so called "greater good".

I am not happy with it.
Old 29-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Leave with enough time to factor this in, and you'll be right.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is funny that in most western civilised countries I travel to you only get pulled over if you have done something wrong.

As my car is always roadworthy and I do not see whey I should be delayed when going about my legal business.

It is something Australians have given up for the so called "greater good".

I am not happy with it.
You share the roads with these people...is getting them off the road less important than where you need to be??

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 29-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

All arguements aside guys, "The amount of vehicles defected for being unroadworthy was disappointing" Define VICPOL's defenition or unroadworthy. Tint too dark etc.... maybe??

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Gotta say Id rather see the prescence out there on the roads instead of those B.S. Flash for Cash Revenue Raisers..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Gotta say Id rather see the prescence out there on the roads instead of those B.S. Flash for Cash Revenue Raisers..
I do not disagree Donny. Just a few km up the road from Diggers Rest (where this stunning operation took place) the Calder Hwy has three lanes. It is a steep hill and the speed limit is 110. Trucks travel in the middle lane at 50-70k. There is often another truck passing him at 75k in the right lane. Left lane is empty. Why is that not policed?

On the opposite side, the down hill run, there has been three mobile speed cameras in the last ten days.
Old 29-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
On that note, they did accidently send out 5700 infringements WITHOUT the location on them and are now being forced to contact each person and let them know...
Well they ARE public servants after all.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Good result I think...

The other thing - that I found to be quite positive - is the fact that they bretho'ed 396 people and had 0 drink drivers...

If they had a rolling crew of 'Tonka' that randomly set up in towns and suburbs EVERY day of the year... Then they might achieve something on a large scale...

Something that they should consider...
Old 29-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Missing a plane because of such activities is not a problem of the government. It is the individual who obviously did not account for any issues to arise during their trip to the airport. It is far better to leave more time for any problems such as this or accidents, breakdowns, etc than to leave at the last minute.

These checks wouldn't take much time if everything with the car is ok.
Old 29-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your car might be "always roadworthy"...but how often have you followed some rusty smoking crapbucket and thought to yourself "I wish the cops would pull over people like that instead of sitting in camera cars beside the road raising revenue!"? More than once I would wager.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

some people just can not be helped, probably up there with one of the dumbest things I have ever read, how could 864 RBT's as well as unregistered vehicles and cars with fake number plates off the road be considered a waste of resources.

I bet if one of those unregistered (and there for uninsured) cars hit your car or even better one of the ones with fake plates hit and run your car you would be screaming for police to do something about it

How would police know you were doing something wrong ie drink driving if they did not stop you for RBT???? How would they know your vehicle is un roadworthy (balled tyres, oil leaks, frayed seat belts etc etc) if they did not stop and inspect the vehicle??

Mate you are a clown (its probably the kindest thing I could think of considering your brain dead comments)
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally news about REAL road safety.
This would be do more good then a discreet car parked on the side of the road.

I have seen in Newcastle on a Thursday night when all the people with modified cars hang around the foreshore in the carpark and on the side of the road, the cops wait until there is lots of cars in there and at about 9pm they block the road at both roundabouts. Then everyone leaving the foreshore is Breath tested and sus cars are checked out. That is real road safety.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post