Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Did/Do you have a "barn" car & What are you planning to do with it
Yes I have one, I will do it up "one day", Ive had offers, but wont sell, & really, I wont get to it 14 18.42%
Yes I had one. Youre right, it went to the garage in the sky. Should have sold it, & saved the car. 1 1.32%
Yes I had one, but I sold it, in time too! I hope its tearing up the road somewhere. 8 10.53%
Yes I had one, but I did actually get to "one day". Its now/being restored 17 22.37%
No I dont have one, I couldnt do that to a car. But I do know of someone who does. 18 23.68%
No I dont have one, but I do know of a car, but the owner is never home, etc 6 7.89%
No I dont have one, I knew of one, tried to buy it, but the owner wouldnt sell. Its scrap now. :-( 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Thumbs down Barnyard Finds/Wrecks - The Mentality... Plus poll

Well G'day everyone. Been awhile since I started a thread in the pub, but this is something that has been swimming in my head since I saw the "Forgotten Supercars" Thread, http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...58#post3613258 in which there are some spectacular cars that have been have been mistreated, forgotten, or the classic "I'll do it up.......one day" scenarios. I took about a 15 minute look at one of the sites that had a link that someone posted about barn finds, (http://www.carsinbarns.com/) & was absolutely disgusted so much it really did bring a tear to my eye looking at some of the classics that have been simply left in the yard & dumped because it had something wrong with it, or put in the garage/yard/barn to do up..... But are just rusting away. Now I only had a look at the mopars, being a dodge man at heart, but I hate to imagine what else could be lurking around in sheds all over the world, with oxidization leaving nothing left but, well, oxygen.

Honestly, I will never understand the mentality, & the greed of owning such a desirable car from any side of an enthusiasts fence, & having it rust away in a field, yard, driveway, shed, be it alone or parked side by side with other classic cars, but the owner wont sell any of them, or parts, but plans to do them up "one-day" or, "dont have any plans for it".

How can they own such desirable cars with the intentions "of doing it up one day"? Problem is when day one comes, it flashes past in the mystical minute between midnight & 12:01 & day two comes around, its on its way to be scrap metal, because thats all its worth now. Dont these people realise that if they had sold it 5 years sooner, that they could have gotten some decent money for it, & know the car will actually bloody survive? So you dont have it anymore.... Who cares, at least it's fate is far better than if you had kept it..... If you had kept it, you were going to get rid of it anyway... Just as a worthless piece of scrap metal. So everyone lost out there. You, the car, enthusiasts across the country who would appreciate it in the carpark or show & shine.

I mean sure, cars arent a living, breathing entity, but I do believe that each car is special, (well except for a prius), & a cars speciality on a sliding scale, is determined by its build numbers & desirability. So in saying that, why dont they think of the car? Its not fair to the car, or any other of its "brothers & sisters" that rolled off the same line.

Personally I knew of a genuine XA GT 351 that used to live on the highway many years ago. Once a year, my dad would ask if him if it was for sale. I think it was the 10th year he said yes, he & dad walked out to the car, only to find the interior was in tatters from Mr & Mrs Rodent & their 1000 kids, the body was a rusticle, & the chassis wasnt in the best shape. I remember dad saying that it wasnt that bad when he first went & asked. Sure it needed some work, but it was doable. 6 months later the car was gone. To you guessed it.......

So why do these people do it? I just cant visualise the mentality. I cant see why. After this post I am 100% sure no one with a barn car will post in here. But I have included an anonymous poll to vote in to see if there are people on here that do have a barn car. Im just interested to see, both how many people there are, & what everyones take on this subject is. Being a car enthusiast forum I bet there will be a fair amount of agreement with me.

P.S. Just had a rather stupid thought, maybe its a conspiracy? They are paid to keep these cars rusting away, so that owners of that car will have less numbers left, & because its rarer, raise the price. But I suppose a cars rarity is only based on its production numbers, not how many are left, due to the fact that the numbers remaining can never be verified....... Just a wild idea.

/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Barnyard Finds/Wrecks - The Mentality... Plus poll

Some people just aren't 'car people'...
Unless they have a close relative or friend that is switched on these relics will continue to rot away in peace.

There is also other people who realise but don't care. These are the annoying people that won't even accept $$ or are too sour to see somebody else get a smile out of restoring their classic.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

A Mate of mine is like this. He considers himself a car person, however his daily drives put paid to that option (Prado TDi, and i30), but sitting in his garage are two British 'sports' cars - a Jensen Healey, and an Austin Healey Sprite. Neither of these cars have seen the light of day (or the road) in five years, but the Sprite was Concourse spec before it was put in the garage, with a crack in the chassis that "They All Develop". The Jensen was driven quite often, but I think he's lost interest. Every time I ask if they're going to re-appear, the subject gets changed.

This same person gets insanely jealous every time I get talking about buying an XB V8 to do up; seemingly forgetting that he has two very nice cars rotting away under sewn together bed sheets.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand where you're coming from BlueBeast, but at the end of the day, they are only machines. Just pieces of metal, no different from a Westinghouse. No car was ever designed to last forever. They have a useable life and after that, they are disposed of. If an old GT or SS Torana rotting away in a backyard (and I know of a few, believe me) gave someone a few years of enjoyment, then it did it's job.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I can see what you are saying and to some extent agree with you. If they have no intention of ever doing anything with it they should give someone else the pleasure at a fair price.

Having said that, I can see the other side too. My old man has a running 1951 BSA 500cc motorbike complete with ridged frame, sprung saddle and canvas fairing. It needs some serious work to restore it to its former glory but it certainly is not a basket case. It has sat unused in the shed for as long as I can remember, the only time the tarp was ever lifted was when I used to lift it and drool over the old girl. Many people have offered some impressive sums at the old boy but he will not sell. He wants to keep it and one day restore it but at the moment he does not have time. Time is a very precious commodity to farmers and there are more important things to do than do up some old bike or car. I suppose it will be done when he retires, I hope he does up the '72 Vette as well. Either that or he could pass them down the line to me and I will take care of things for him.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

while i do not like seeing any cars rust away to nothing, if someone wants the car bad enough - offer the owner money they cannot refuse. virtually everything is for sale. it is just easier to complain about things than make them happen

all of these cars were so easy to find at one point, but no one wanted them. now they are worth some money when in good condition everyone thinks they can just walk up to someone and offer them a pittance and they would be doing them a favour. for sure some will not want to part with them for what ever reason, but the fact is they own it. build a bridge

and personally i wish there was 100,000+ coupes left on the road. i would be able to see more - and the value of mine would be lower and then there would be less chance of it being stolen. mine is not for sale so the value means absolutely nothing to me. however i did the legwork back in 87 when 18, so i apologise for having little sympathy for people who suddenly want one now, when they are not only wanted, but more valuable and rarer
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I have 2 barn cars, theyre not desirable at all. But im restoring them, and soon theyll decimate desirables....

On a side note, I cannot stand to see any decent old car rot away. If I can afford it, ill save that car from a fate worse than death. To see a Ford succumb to time & neglect just makes me cry.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I have no problem with classics being stored away in barns or sheds for periods of time, they will eventually find a new owner at one point through inheritance or a sale. I just cannot stand seeing something of value left outside in the elements to rust which will never be enjoyed by anyone in the future.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
mad-xa

i was given a car by someone who, tho he liked the car and had done some work, the work he had done was dodgy and unsafe even tho the parts used where new i.e seat belt bolts in the bumper holes..and it did sit at my house for over a year before i slowly peice at a time pull apart and restore it,,,on that note yes i do know where several classic cars are and the person who owns them is a hoarder and the price he wants is way over the value of the remainder of steel left on them...
mad-xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got an XE sitting in the shed. Not sure what we're going to do with it but we're waiting for 2014 when we can put it on classic rego. At that stage, we might tidy it up, but keep it stock.
It was my father's car which the he bought brand new back in 1985. Unfortunately, it's only the GL, so it's not a classic, but it has sentimental value. I start her up at least once a month, usually every couple of weeks to keep her running. Drive her around the block every now and then too.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
I have no problem with classics being stored away in barns or sheds for periods of time, they will eventually find a new owner at one point through inheritance or a sale. I just cannot stand seeing something of value left outside in the elements to rust which will never be enjoyed by anyone in the future.
+1

i suppose i fall into the category of "have a barn car" (zd 'lane) but it is stored well and have every intention of restoring it when location permits, at present have no shed/garage space so have it stored safley atm.

But i cannot understand people who have desirable cars that just let them sit out in the open, slowly decomposing into the grass, i get quiet passionate about this, have asked numerous times about some cars and in the end they either go to scrap, or in the case of a 57 cusso that was pushed out the shed 12 or so years ago, now sits 2 foot lower to the ground supporting a bougainvillea. Its now good for nothing except maybe a few chrome trims. I realise they belong to people who can do with what they like, but it just makes no sence, the money they could get could go into making their house half livable

I realy like that supercheap ad with CPA, i think thats an awesome idea

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
max_torq
From the Futura

I have a capri mk1 in the carport. Used to be I'd get a person every couple of months, now it is about once a week, knocking on the door and wanting to buy it. The car is straight rust free and the suspension is all rebuilt, but the body has surface rust, and there is no motor. Of course, the problem is no one wants to pay anything for it. They just want me to give it to them for a slab or so. I suppose to a 17 year old it has been sitting around 'forever', in fact all ground up projects take years, and an enthusiast can be building cars for decades. I'll get around to finishing it, its just a few steps down the order of priority.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a '70 Plymouth convertible as my "barn car". Bought from Queensland sight unseen and was so bad I was disgusted with it and left it sitting for a few years. After a few years I start to pull it apart (sounding familiar) and cut off the damaged rear qtr. Ten years(!!) later I've started fixing it and buying new parts, etc. Just takes some of us a "little time" to get started ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting topic
I have well a yard find here
Its a mid 80s 2 tonne toyota dyna
Ive had it for 10-12 years
Sat for 2 years in my old yard
New fuel fired it up,loaded it up and drove 2 hours to my new place
Been sitting here for near 6 years , done maybe 3 Ks in that time
Its not worth alot to anyone but to me
That little truck made me a motsa,couldnt kill it
I dont know what ill do with it,just sitting in the yard, not even covered
Its definately a "one day" and definately "not for sale" no matter what the offer
Gotta think with all this interest in older cars of late
They sat around for years and years cause they were worth near nothin
And noone wanted them
Then as time goes on they rust or get scrapped
Hence no supply,high demand
Thats life , hey

edit:
My old neighbour told me many years ago he used to by FC/FE Holdens from the local wreckers with rego and enuf fuel for a few days for $50

Anyone wanna start collecting XFs and EAs ???
Theyll be rare in years to come
Theyre wont be many around,but will they be worth anything ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

My mates old boy has a genuine 327 HK Bathurst Edition Monaro sitting under his house rotting away.

Will it ever get restored? Probably not. Quite sad really.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None of the options in the poll seem to suit me. But I'm in the "There's one been left on my property for over 20 years that I'd like to restore, but I don't know if the owner still wants it" situation.

I've mentioned on this forum before about a TC Cortina XLE six. I know that a Cortina doesn't sound too exciting, but the car was in running order when the owner deregisterd it and parked it up. The mystery is why he did it and that he's since moved out and left the car there. My father met the owner of the Cortina a few years ago and asked him about it and said he was thinking of putting an automatic transmission in it. I'm not sure if the owner is even aware of how much the car has deteriorated over the years and that the whole interior is full of mould.

The cost to get it up and running would cost more than what the car itself is worth. The owner is not a car enthusiast either. It would be a shame if the owner returned and wanted to go ahead with restoring it and putting an automatic transmission in it because it has its original 4-speed manual which is bonus for that model Cortina. There's an incredible amount of mould growing in it which is harmful for your health, if I end up claiming it, I might have go extremes by using a mask and taking the interior apart to remove the mould.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A very long time ago, we used to go to a property near Canberra to cut some wood for winter. My first trip out there I spotted an old ford ute sitting in the lower paddock. It was an old ford ute from the 30's and had a wooden tray floor and a ford v8 under the bonnet. The ute was in serious decay, and the last I saw it was about 23 years ago, and it was still in that paddock rusting away.

I am 99% sure that it was one of these

I can't recall the location, but It's not far from Canberra, so I might go and see if it's still there, if I can remember where it was.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I am 99% sure that it was one of these

I can't recall the location, but It's not far from Canberra, so I might go and see if it's still there, if I can remember where it was.
That's a sad story because that exact model in the pic is the very first of the coupe utilitys built by FoA. If it is still there, I'd hate to think what it would look like.
Old 17-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

We have a couple of what you might call "barn cars". Dad fully restored the 67 HR about ten years (or more) ago but due to a leg injury he couldn't use the clutch for extended periods of time - so that got stored away in the shed. (I'm buying it from him) also his 76 f100 xlt custom sits in there with it (due to lack of funds.) but trust me, the HR will be back on the road within the year and the F100 shouldn't be much longer (one I pay him for the HR, he'll be able to finally put that on the road again. I love that damn HR.
93EB_SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here another barn find thread if you haven't seen it before http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11191294
Old 17-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
XAllent

I was at my brother in law's party the other week were I saw his cousin for the first time in 30 odd years. As my Xa Coupe was at the party, the discussion soon turned towards cars, and he told me that he has a SS Holden Torana hatchback with the flare kit sitting in his Garage untouched and rusting for about 10 years. When I said that he should pull it out and start to repair it, he said that he will probably cut it up, sell the parts and scrap the rest.
When I told him that he should sell it to me rather than do that, he replied with "I would rather cut it up than sell it to anybody! "
Where's the logic in that?
XAllent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
66GT

Well I to am guilty of letting my 66 Mk1 GT Cortina sit for to long waiting for me to get around to it. I bought it as a paddock find 12 years ago. After a quick fix up become my daily & has been on club rego for approx 8 years or so & did a number or short runs but the overall condition of the rust was getting to bad so it got parked in the shed & waited. I now have the mission of trying to get it cleaned up for my son to drive to his yr12 formal at the end of the year. I also have an 77 XC Coupe 5.8L sitting there. It was a kind of family inheritence (father in law), a long story but I have put a bit of time & $$ into it believing it was ours, totally original nice car that still requires minimal rust, engine & transmission rebuild. However mother in law wants it sold as she wants the money. I can't afford to buy it & am not to keen on parting with it. I also wont get any of my input back if it is sold. So its been sitting there for 18 months until its future is decided. I love the car & do feel guilty about it sitting there desporately awaiting for club rego & go crusing. I also have a crapy 76 Kombie Panelvan with usual rust etc (seemed like a good idea at the time). This could end up being moved on eventually, however for the moment is providing excellent storage for all the bits removed for the Cortina. I have however tried to purchase several paddock & barn finds over the years to be told no & all the reasons given. The worst personal experience was a HK 327 GTS Monaro - yes was partly stripped with rust, but very retriveable. The guy only bought it for the motor for a boat he was making. Couldn't conveince the guy into any deal, then 6 months latter the car ended upside at the tip roof squashed, all glass smashed, front cut off & had been picked up with chains - totally stuffed.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #23
xr8-200

Ive had my Mk2 cortina sitting around waiting to be restored for a few years now. Its was an awesome little car when I got it 11 years ago but over time it tired a bit so I took it off the road. At one point I gave it to my younger brother to fix up, who proceded to remove any part that he could get off.....then lost interest and gave it back to me.
Over the last few years Ive come close to selling it a few times but have always hoped for a time when I would have the space, time and cash to restore it. Just last week I almost gave it away as I had no where to store it (moved into an apartment), but at the last minute my family had organised a storeage unit for me and taken it there. So my time as a corty owner continues on, although I think it is time to put on the market...... If I couldnt find the time to work on it while it was in a shed 20 metres away I very much doubt I will get around to working on it now I live an hours drive away.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

One of the reasons people don't sell is because the car has a sentimental value that just can't be bought. They like to kid themselves they'll restore it, but reality is they can't or won't due to money or the skill needed. They can't bear the thought of someone else owning 'their baby'. They'd rather see it rot than in the hands of someone who'll restore it then pass it on for a profit.

Then there's those who bought the car for what ever reason but it turned out to be a ******* or it blew something one day so it can sit there and rot into the ground. And no, their not selling because they can't bear the thought of someone enjoying it.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #25
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

My XR wagon is bit of a "paddock find". I was visiting my old uncle when I was 15 and seen he had an old wagon behind the shed. I couldn't keep my eyes off it. Went to his place again a few weeks later and it was still sitting there. He caught me behind the shed looking at it and said to me "its a 66 XR falcon...do you like it?" I said yes and kept looking at it. Then out of no where he asked if I wanted it. You couldnt wipe the smile off my face. I got it trailered home to Kandos at the time and done a crap load of research. Found out it was an original 1967 XR falcon 500. It still had the original seized 200 motor and full synchro gearbox. Being young and overly keen I pulled the 200 motor out and it ended up out the tip :-(. I would give anything to get it back now. Anyway we moved house and I trailered it with me. At the moment the car sits under a carport stripped to its undies and half in undercoat. Every little piece has been put into sealable bags and labeled for when it goes back together. I am slowly restoring it but its more of a long term project and I will get stuck back into it when finances allow. I have been asked about it plenty of times and as usual people want it for free. I will never sell it and have vowed to myself that I will have it finished and take my ncle for a drive in it before he passes away.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
nstg8a

mine is still too common to be considered a barn car, but i have my xf ute hibernating in a container back home. i know the mechanicals will be shot by the time i do anything with it, but the way i see it, xf utes with zero rust arent exactly common now, let alone when i eventually move home.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
coupecouple04

here is a photo of my mates xy gt rep taken in 91 now sitting in his shed covered in boxes and inches of dust .cannot convince him to even take out and try and get started .says he has lost interest my heart bleeeds everytime i go into his shed for a drink.and he will not sell and went hard original gs fairmont.
coupecouple04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
cosworthfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
while i do not like seeing any cars rust away to nothing, if someone wants the car bad enough - offer the owner money they cannot refuse. virtually everything is for sale. it is just easier to complain about things than make them happen

all of these cars were so easy to find at one point, but no one wanted them. now they are worth some money when in good condition everyone thinks they can just walk up to someone and offer them a pittance and they would be doing them a favour. for sure some will not want to part with them for what ever reason, but the fact is they own it. build a bridge

and personally i wish there was 100,000+ coupes left on the road. i would be able to see more - and the value of mine would be lower and then there would be less chance of it being stolen. mine is not for sale so the value means absolutely nothing to me. however i did the legwork back in 87 when 18, so i apologise for having little sympathy for people who suddenly want one now, when they are not only wanted, but more valuable and rarer
+1 and then some!
cosworthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #29
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
My XR wagon is bit of a "paddock find". I was visiting my old uncle when I was 15 and seen he had an old wagon behind the shed. I couldn't keep my eyes off it. Went to his place again a few weeks later and it was still sitting there. He caught me behind the shed looking at it and said to me "its a 66 XR falcon...do you like it?" I said yes and kept looking at it. Then out of no where he asked if I wanted it. You couldnt wipe the smile off my face. I got it trailered home to Kandos at the time and done a crap load of research. Found out it was an original 1967 XR falcon 500. It still had the original seized 200 motor and full synchro gearbox. Being young and overly keen I pulled the 200 motor out and it ended up out the tip :-(. I would give anything to get it back now. Anyway we moved house and I trailered it with me. At the moment the car sits under a carport stripped to its undies and half in undercoat. Every little piece has been put into sealable bags and labeled for when it goes back together. I am slowly restoring it but its more of a long term project and I will get stuck back into it when finances allow. I have been asked about it plenty of times and as usual people want it for free. I will never sell it and have vowed to myself that I will have it finished and take my ncle for a drive in it before he passes away.
Bloody good story.

What were those GT wagons ford did?
Old 24-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
velocityXR6

i've known this bloke for years how sad his yard is...tells me all the time how he's gunna fix this and that an do her up.... in his yard is 2x ford anglia 1 xb gt 1 xb gs 2x xe esp yes 2... then the other stable 1 fc 1 fx 1 hj statesman 2 eh sedans (1 prem ) 1 hq LS monaro and 2 beetles not to mention the celicas and a couple of other datsuns.. makes me real sad to see em rust half haven't even got floors or sill panels but he won't part with any of them not even for good coin i'd nearly give my left...... (well you know) for any of the falcons even if i could save just one or sell it on to someone who had the time..