Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Interesting Falcon auction prices

Just doing a little research on the prices of falcons at the auction yards. I must say I was a little suprised. I visited Fowles on tuesday (dealer auctions) and Auto Auction Group on wednesday for their public actions. Prices?

Fowles, dealers auctions (if you have a mate who is a dealer, or go make a mate of a dealer. Offer him maybe $300 to do a buy for you.)
XT falcons 20,000km BA1 2004 ~$16,000
XR6 BA2 12,000km $24,000

Auto Auction Group Brooklyn:
Here I was suprised! any public can buy.
2 year old XT 60,000km ~16to17,000
2 year old Faimont 60k ~18,000
2 year old XR6 60k ~23000
2 year old xr6 turbo!70k ~22000!!manual.
" " " " 80k~22000!!premium sound!!how cheap!!auto
2 year old xr6 non turbo 60k leather 24000!why?
2 year old fairmont ghias 60 to 80k 19 to 22000!!thats cheap!
2 year old Xt wagons 60k 18000
2 year old futura 60k 19000 ,thats more than fairmonts!

What suprised me is that everything is more or less much the same price! Why are xr6 turbos not worth anymore than xr6 nas?!! These cars were all good cars, ex govt(not cops) and mostly Telstra(turbos and ghias were all Telstra) and were NOT passed in!

the dealers often buy these cars and put what? an extra $10,000 on em?!!

A bloke told me the turbos were going for under $24k, and I couldnt believe it, thought he must be mistaking the NA's, but he was right!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Company car + turbo is probably a massive turn off. Hell if my work gave me an XR6T I'd cane the hell out of it.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Company car + turbo is probably a massive turn off. Hell if my work gave me an XR6T I'd cane the hell out of it.
knowing how the telstra fleet works, those cars would have been salary sacrifice (not novated a lease) operating lease. $15k per year for a xr6T for 2 years NO MORE TO PAY. all fuel, maintenance, etc are taken care of. hell, a monaro is only $18k a year and that is off your pretax salary... can't match those costs in too many companies....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Looking at carsales they have similar prices for atleast the first 100 listed BA XR6's.
Interesting findings for me was that acid rush seems to be the cheapest followed by blue print. Highly likely based on the number that were made but a lot of people predicted citric acid to seriously hurt re-sale value of any car chosen in that colour.
Doesn't seem to be the case.
Damn.. cos i love it.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Theres a real demand problem in the market at the moment. Lots of people are spending around the 20 grand on New 4 cylinder cars rather then buying Used 6 cylinders like Falcons and Commodores, therefore dealers are already overstocked with their own trade ins and fleet buy backs and therefore just aren't buying that much stock from the auctions. I know one Ford dealer that has a buyback scheme with the Church of Christ - 15,000 kms or a year, which ever comes first and they have more 2004 BA XTs / XR6s and Fairmonts then they have new cars.. The Mark IIs are now starting to come back in as well which makes it harder to sell Mark I's on the used market. I dont know how they sell them especially considering the money they want.

The dealer prices are no where near as cheap as some of the deals you see at Pickles and Fowles. Cars like XR8s and XR6 Turbos seem to be the better value, along with Fairmont Ghias that seem to drop up to 50% in value within 12 months.. I reckon anyone would be crazy to buy a new Fairmont Ghia and pay full retail, unless they were going to keep it long term.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
knowing how the telstra fleet works, those cars would have been salary sacrifice (not novated a lease) operating lease. $15k per year for a xr6T for 2 years NO MORE TO PAY. all fuel, maintenance, etc are taken care of. hell, a monaro is only $18k a year and that is off your pretax salary... can't match those costs in too many companies....
Exactly correct. Anything 2yr old is probably a ex-Telstra salary sacrifice car. About $15,500 p/a would have got me a BA XT V8, with sports suspension, etc. I ended up going with the SV8 for $16,000 (hey .. it was a good car for 2 years!) and got 80,000km out of it. The *majority* have not been flogged 'cos they are personal cars. Only d!ckheads cane them and that can happen with any owner. All the servicing, tyres, brakes, etc get done by the manufacturers; eg. replacing the Bridgestone 17" on my SV8, I HAD to go to a Bridgestone outlet. Anything wrong (eg. tyres which are even half suspect) get changed straight away. Only issues are that you CANNOT put premium fuel in a car which the manufacturer specified just unleaded (eg. my SV8) .. we'll you can, but you'll be paying for it yourself.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

I find that odd that you cant run it on premium.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
XRated
Shoot.

How much did 5.4 Ghias fetch?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

For anyone that hasn't worked it out yet falcons have really poor resale and the bulk of the used car market are looking for $wds, people movers and samll 4cyl autos.

Big fuel hungry old style sedans have to be sold off cheap.

Rep wagons even cheaper.

My wagon was $40k new in 2001 now worth every cent of $10k.

Thats very expensive motoring $7.5k depreciation a year. But if you want a falcon be prepared to lose that much.

Best buying is at around 2-3 years and under 60,000km. that way you don't lose too much on depreciation and don't spend too much on maintenance.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ull get a V8 Ghia for around the 26 -27 mark with 20,000 kms...
Old 16-06-2005, 09:25 PM   #11
RATT

All those prices would be opening bids by the look of things.
Old 16-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Exactly correct. Anything 2yr old is probably a ex-Telstra salary sacrifice car. About $15,500 p/a would have got me a BA XT V8, with sports suspension, etc. I ended up going with the SV8 for $16,000
an xr6t is 15k, SS is 17k although I have a copy of the secondhand cars that people want out of, and there is an optioned xr6t for 19k with 18months to run..
personally i'm considering a sv6 for 13,700 if I get moved sideways and lose my free wagon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
I find that odd that you cant run it on premium.
you can if the manufacturer recommends pulp. For example, monaro is pulp and so is xr6t.
Old 17-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I bought my 2003 XR6 N/A at Pickles, was ex-Sydney Water car.
Bidding started at $22k. I got it not much over that.

I haven't had any problems with it, and all the points listed in the NRMA inspection report turned out to be crud.
Just dropped it off for it's first service since I've had it today.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the problems associated with Fleet cars are standard issues your going to have with any car... As far as them being thrashed more then likely not.. The sort of people who get the expensive fleet vehicles, like XR6 Turbos and XR8s are usually people who would rather a Fairmont or a Ghia (older people) who are more mature about their driving.... On the same note the actual visual side of some of the vehicles is a let down as alot of these people dont really spend much time washing them or happen to worry about dints and scrapes... Alot of the time the car is mechanically well cared for, but the exterior like paint and wheels arent.
Old 17-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Dam those cars are cheap makes me wonder If i should even spend the money on the car iv got now (au2). I got it from a dealers auction for 11k put on rego and everything comes up to around 12.5k with 110,000km on the clock (september last yr). Better of saving the money and getting an xr6t manual then spending money on the car.. mags, body kit, interior and other stuff.. after that iv paid for the xr6t and just got a stock au forte :/
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #16
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Alternatively you could sell the Forte and the XR6T has cost you about half as much again
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

With those prices of BA's a 2001 forte would be worth.. 8k most likely now. Id be surprised if you could even sell an au2.
Old 17-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i didnt see any ghia V8's but I would guess they could only be worth another $1000 or so. I find it funny how it doesnt matter how much you spend (futura, ghia, xr6turbo), after a 60,000km they are all worth much the same!

I'd really like a ghia but will be getting an XT on gas for only a little bit less. All the fancy leather, wheels stereo dont factor in to my need for a cheap to run car sadly.
Old 17-06-2005, 12:36 PM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh, and wagons are in fact dearer than sedans, by a good $1000 to $2000.
Old 17-06-2005, 01:10 PM   #20
XRated
Shoot.

Just wondering, if you were to get a car loan through a bank, would the bank write out a cheque to Pickles/Fowles?

20V Turbo

Old 17-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #21
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

depends on the bank,

if they didnt you could get the money put strait in and then get the bank to write out a bank cheque
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats right Blink... I cant get over how much money some people spend on cars that just arent worth it..

Then again some people get enjoyment out of making something better then it is, or different i guess...

There arent that many XR6 Turbos going for 22 grand, but you can easily get them on a weekly basis for around 25 - 26 grand.
Old 17-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #23
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you only have to pay $500 for a deposit after buying the car. Then the rest the next day when you pick it up via a bank cheque or whatever.
Old 17-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #24
XRated
Shoot.

Interesting.. So just to confirm, are these the starting prices or the final prices people ended up paying?? Freakin' hell, a $22k XR6T!

20V Turbo

Old 17-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #25
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! definately the final price! I couldnt believe it myself. The auctioneer kept saying, we've got some cheap cars. They were Telstra, and he said they have to pay for their new CEO. joking of course.

Thats these ones : they were March 03 builds.
2 year old xr6 turbo!70k ~22000!!manual.
" " " " " " " 80k~22000!!premium sound!!how cheap!!auto

I sat in them too and they were real nice! I'd go the manual. Was phantom. Surely that will be in the yard in the 30's?!!
Old 17-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #26
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I went into the local used Ford Dealer when I was looking at getting my car.
They wanted $38,500 for each of the 3 N/A XR6 they had in the lot!!
We laughed and walked back to our car, and the sales guy followed us out of the lot and across the road, asking if we needed help.
Dad told him they were the ones who needed help!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #27
bscampbell

Auctions are incredible...
I bought our Futura wagon early in the year when it was only 5 months old, although it did have 33,000kms on it. Actually it was in better nick than some with fewer kms!
Bought for nearly half the new price of ~$40,000...nearly 50% depreciation in 5 months!
Still had 7 months rego, heaps of tread on tyres, cargo barrier (90% have these - OH&S), immaculate inside and out, and 2y7m of full manufacturers warranty left on it!
I was tempted to go for a 1-2 year old Fairlane Ghia ($28,000), Statesman ($28,000) or Caprice ($33,000).

As for getting a loan...with the Bendigo Bank anyway...
You have to go to the bank and find out how much they are willing to loan you.
Once you know what you can spend then you go to the auction and buy a car.
Don't be stupid doing this and go over your budget!!!
Then you have to go back to the bank with proof of purchase, then they will give you your money!

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #28
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im surprised car yards still manage to sell stock. When looking for an au2 forte card yards told me id pay between 16-20k. I went to one ford yard and they tried selling me an au1 with 140,000km on it for $15k. When I told them I wanted to spend 13k they laughed and told me in my dreams. A few weeks later got one from the auctions for 11k better then all their stock.

Ford seems to be the worst prices they must have a markup for around 6-12k on all cars.
Old 17-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #29
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Hey there, hang on a minute, please dont say Ford puts 6 - 12k on cars, its up to each individual dealer what there markup is, Ford have nothing to do with the used car side of the dealership.
Old 17-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

My brother inlaw called me from the auctions yesterday about a 03 phantom 6T with only 20000k's going for $28k.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post