Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Red face Parental rebukes: true tales of automotive abuse

I'm sure we've all had it before from the parentals - being told off for doing something "silly" in their car or even your own. A thread on another forum where posters had to list all their previous rides brought a couple of amusing moments back to me from what seems like a lifetime ago.

So what sort of rebuke(s) have you had from your oldies (no matter when it was or how old you are) about your driving style or your evil hooning ways? Or your lame maintenance techniques?

The one that sticks in my mind was well over 10 years ago, concerning my old Landrover 110 trayback. It was a pile of crap, but unstoppable off road, and even though the engine burned through something like 4 litres of oil a week, it would never stop running. Being a bunkie though, I didn't really care.

One weekend when I went to drive off down the road, my old man stood at the front door to watch me drive off. As usual when driving off, my Landy belched a huge cloud of blue oil smoke, enough to make it worthy of a James Bond smokescreen prop. Later on when I came home, my old man goes to me "Jesus son, that Landrover of yours blows a lot of smoke, when's the last time you checked the oil?" I said "stuffed if I know, I only refill it when the oil light comes on." The rebuke was hard and fast: "That's no way to treat a motor car!!" he yelled at me.

Thinking back on it now makes me laugh considerably. Please feel free to share your parental automotive rebukes with the rest of us for collective laughter.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Popped the diff in the old mans Datto.... old man came home when we were nearly finished changing it... WTF you done to my car son.. just fixing the brakes dad......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha thats classic^
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Bought my XF, it was white, had a front bumper and an exhaust. Went to work, came home later than usual with it painted matt
black, no bumper no exhaust. I was a young idiot, and boy did my parents hate the thing. And give me a lot of Grief about it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I havent had much from the parents but have had a few comments from some older people around town.

One good run in was when I drove my XF burnout car off the car trailer running only extractors and thinking it was cool gave it a few revs. My neighbour came running out of his house going off his head saying shut it up and "what is this? do we live in a ********n car yard?" lol. I just politely shut it off etc and thought to myself settle down.

My latest abuse was referring to my 351 XE from some random bloke with a beer in his hand as I was walking down the street. He yelled out "hey tank!" from across the street, I looked around like wtf and then he yelled out again until I looked. He said "when we were younger we got in ****** for having big tyres hanging out the gaurds like you do.....and put a ********n muffler on it". I admit the XE is a bit loud and it runs 15x10s but I had absolutely no idea who the guy was.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dropped around to see my mummy on mothers day.. mummy wasnt home so i left a big GT calling card.... chased mum up at the sisters place.. hey mum some DH done a big skid out front of your house....... yeah i got a whack on the head with the broom next visit.....
Old 21-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VH pacer dropped a big burnout, sheared the clutch to nothing, all at the bottom of the bellhousing, tore the gearbox apart when the thing locked in 2nd and selected 3rd, dad always recconned I did a reversy. I didnt.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother and myself didn't get into to much trouble in the cars ourfamily owned

It was my old manthat was the problem every opp he got our carswere gone then you would hear him coming at full noise and or doing skids in the driveway

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Popped the diff in the old mans Datto.... old man came home when we were nearly finished changing it... WTF you done to my car son.. just fixing the brakes dad......
Hahaaa

That's gold

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 21-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I came out of a roundabout sideways and who do I see approaching the roundabout coming the other way? Mum :
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Yep, I can plead guilty to that one as well.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

My best rebuke, mum & dad planned a surprise 21st for me, I surprised them by not showing up & spent all night down @ " Brickies". I got home @ 3.00 am to find all these cars in my driveway, & one very upset father. Boy, I copped it in the morning!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I borrowed my mothers new 100series cruiser. She'd had it 6 months, and i'd never driven it, anyway on my first drive with it, about 15km outta town i cleaned up a huge roo and destroyed the bullbar. I mean it looked like a banana after that. Ihave only ever driven itabout a dozen times since, and she's owned it for 4 years. The last time i drove it, about 4 months ago, i borrowed it to go 4wding. When she saw the side-steps were bent, that was the end of it.
Old 21-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I came out of a roundabout sideways and who do I see approaching the roundabout coming the other way? Mum :
I've done that as well, except I was on the phone to her at the time. She let me have it for crabwalking but funnily didn't have much to say about talking on the mobile.
Old 21-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not something silly I did but sort of related - I had my mum phone me up on my mobile once - asking me why I was driving like such a moron, driving sideways in traffic etc. My car was being serviced and was obviously been taken for a "test drive"

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
ROLLI
KEEPUP

I once borrowed my old mans EBGT when i was 18 and went and done some skids but my mate put oil down for his VK and i got oil all in the gaurds but he never noticed luckily. I showed him the video a few months ago he was rapped that it done a skid thought i was gonna get my bakside kicked haha My mum wasnt impressed tho she said your never taking my car lol
Old 21-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
CFOUR
The Destroyer

My dad is a petrol head (automotive engineer) from way back so I've never coped much. His only gripe is me never (ever) warm up my car before enthusiastic driving. "you're gonna ruin that thing if you don't warm it up" he'd yell. To which I'd reply "you rebuilt it and you'll fix it if it breaks". Been having that same conversation for five years now. Long story short, it's hard to hurt a Windsor, especially one that's built properly.

Mum can't stand my driving yet is first to admit I'm better behind the wheel than the entire family including her. She stopped complaing after seeing how I drive without passengers in the car.
Old 21-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
Scraggles
Starter Motor

Dad bought me a GT, I wrote it off 27 hours later.

He came home from work to find a crumpled pile of sh/t in the driveway, looked at me sitting forlornly on the front step of the house, called me a ********, scratched his chin while looking at the car and retreated to the garage.

He came good after I told him it was the other blokes fault and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. The 2 years wait for the other blokes insurance company to pay up was painful but it did give me time to straighten out and save the GT!
Scraggles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
My dad is a petrol head (automotive engineer) from way back so I've never coped much. His only gripe is me never (ever) warm up my car before enthusiastic driving. "you're gonna ruin that thing if you don't warm it up"
Sounds pretty similar to something I was told after doing burnouts on the driveway: my old man "you'll blow your transmission up if you keep doing that!!!" was the sharp snappy rebuke.

Don't worry about the noise, or the smoke, just the cost of the trans

Old 21-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother blew the auto in dad's NA Fairlane trying to do burnouts about 12 years ago. He would reverse it a few metres then chuck it in drive. He did it one to many times and the thing went bang.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Sounds pretty similar to something I was told after doing burnouts on the driveway: my old man "you'll blow your transmission up if you keep doing that!!!" was the sharp snappy rebuke.

Don't worry about the noise, or the smoke, just the cost of the trans
Closely followed by "you call that a burnout"
Old 21-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

T-boned my uncle in his own car ...he pulled out from a t intersection and didn't see me ...lol that was **** funny the old man was like how the f did this happen ,lucky it was not my fault .
Old 21-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
T-boned my uncle in his own car ...he pulled out from a t intersection and didn't see me ...lol that was **** funny the old man was like how the f did this happen ,lucky it was not my fault .
That would have been an interestiong one to explain to the insurance company.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of which car I have driven (VT/VE/Hyundai Excel/TX5/WRX) I'm always driving too fast yet never break the speed limit when it comes to mum

She doesn't like getting in the WRX with me and won't drive it at all, the turbo scares her :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was young and silly and managed to drop a big powerslide in front of a Coaster bus full off policemans....
yes they came to my house... mum wasnt happy...
whack... whack... smack in the head with the broom again......
Old 21-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #26
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i was young and silly and managed to drop a big powerslide in front of a Coaster bus full off policemans....
yes they came to my house... mum wasnt happy...
whack... whack... smack in the head with the broom again......
What, the whole busload of cops or just a couple??

Old 21-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
What, the whole busload of cops or just a couple??
about 18 of them... all on the front lawn........
Old 21-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #28
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

When I was on my P plates my old man was a shocker!! He knew I was rally bashing the car and generally driving like an idiot. That's the disadvantage of being near a small town. Those small communities know too much about you and the bush telegraph works a treat.

Dad's favorite trick was to walk a lap of my car every morning upon his return from the dairy. He would make a mental note of every little thing he'd find. When I eventually surfaced and appeared at the breakfast table he'd fold down his newspaper, give me the evil eye and calmly question me along the lines of "those back tyres lost a bit of rubber last night" or "I noticed a new dent, how did that happen?"

I'd be coming up with all manner of BS to appease him and make it sound like it was someone else's fault or invent some major hard luck story. I knew it was BS, he knew that I knew it was BS and he knew that I knew that he knew it was BS....... on it went.

He'd make me squirm for ages before he'd let me off the hook by labeling me and all my mates a pack of "Richard Craniums".

Fast forward to today and I find myself sometimes doing the same thing to my youngest step-son!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #29
Mad Maxine

Oh bloody hell, keep going, fellas, this is comedy gold!

I've never copped a parental rebuke, probably because I moved out of home at 18, and they never saw what I got up to

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #30
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I dropped my mum off at the train station one morning. We were in her car as I was borrowing it for the day. I reversed into a pole that was lower than what I could see, she yelled at me from the platform, I was embarrassed and put my foot flat leaving behind a 50m burnout and the station was rather smoky. All she said was you owe me new tyres. My mum was pretty cool, even when she knew I took her car to its speed limit she just called me a ****head. The only time she got real angry was when the cops came to the house to charge her with wreckless driving with intent. My car was registered in her name (insurance purposes) and I was caught going through a speed camera at 70kp/h over. I have since grown up from those silly days.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post