Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Ultrasonic injector cleaning... when?

My car is coming up to 170k and has never had the injectors cleaned.

I'm guessing they're due but does anyone know the recommended interval for (out of engine) cleaning?

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good question RW, been thinking about that one myself ,i`m about the same mileage too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Man personally ever 6 months inmho but not more than 12 months for peak performance. I take mine out and have a fuel pump submerged in cleaner then an external fuel rail ...i throe the injectors away and connect it to a spare 12 voly battery I have..works a treat

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I chased this up a bit.

My local EFI place quoted $45ea + $90 labour (R/R) to ultrasonic clean = $360

I read this about cleaning vs new http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/4554.htm

and then came across this guy on ebay http://tinyurl.com/ykygztk

I contacted the ebay guy and postage is combined on a 6 buy so...

$49.50ea + $15 postage = $312 (DIY labour).

I'll buy the new ones
Old 11-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
ronwest

Just to add a bit more, I had a race engine builder through work yesterday and he was saying that unless there is a reason to suspect an injector problem (rough idle etc) he wouldn't worry about them until around 250K (on the family hack).

I think I'll replace mine anyway. It'll be peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
illusivedreams

I think its an over kill, but also quality of fuels and how often the car is operated would make a difference.

If car is operating frequesntly with good fuel than injectors get cleaned (the additives in the fuel and the pressure at the nozzle.

With carbys I find when they sit around alot the jets block up as fuel vapourizers and leaves a resedue.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Just to add a bit more, I had a race engine builder through work yesterday and he was saying that unless there is a reason to suspect an injector problem (rough idle etc) he wouldn't worry about them until around 250K (on the family hack).

I think I'll replace mine anyway. It'll be peace of mind if nothing else.
i think like you Ronwest, i would rather do maintenance early than wait for the cruiser to fail, and you end up with some good spares.....good post by the way.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
ronwest

LOL! I first read that as "I think I like you ronwest"... I was trying to figure out how to let you down gently

Yeah, 90% of it's k's are on trips away so I like to keep on top of things. It's also a long time since I've had a car with more than 60Ks under the belt and even though I know it's no prob at 170Ks I like the peace of mind that prev mtce gives.

We're off to Palm Cove (Cairns) in April and then Perth in July/Aug and the thought of sitting on the side of the road with something I *could* have prevented does not thrill me at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahahahah, yer lets just remain mates lol, you gave me a good laugh, yep nothing worse than being stranded.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
illusivedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
ahahahah, yer lets just remain mates lol, you gave me a good laugh, yep nothing worse than being stranded.

Cant complain at preventative maintenance. Go for.

I knew my injectors needed of car cleaning when I would start the car and it would be a rough start and than blew alot of smoke.

The injectors were leaking alittle when the car was stationary....
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
kaldek

Andrew from fuelinjector.com.au can do on-site fuel injector cleaning for under $40 an injector (plus costs for O-rings, dust seals, etc). That's if you remove them from the car yourself of course. He services the Melbourne area.

I have videos online available of the process I went through for my motorbike - it's the same for your car. Just go to YouTube and look up "KaldekBoch" in the search field.
kaldek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
urbancowboy

I don't know if mine have ever been done, Its a AU2 XR8 its got 240K and it starts fine, except for the occasional, turn key, starter turns a fraction, pauses, then kicks over!
And that some mornings when the car is stone cold and i don't have time for the 1 minute warm up it hesitates as the clutch is just reaching the out position and so i dip the clutch and then its fine.
Should i be concerned? I ahve other things to tinker with the XR8 atm such as front brakes, and next up will be clutch, and by then my service will be due!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had a clean done, a upper engine carbon clean it was $98 in Toowoomba, he quoted $199 for injector clean and upper engine carbon clean. However as my car has had a bit of a surge problem he suggested doing the carbon clean first and see what happens. It made a huge difference, fuel economy is up and its more responsive and smoother. Still has surge though so we are going through one thing at a time. My car has 146,000 on it. Had injectors done at 120,000 at ford, it was $99 back in 2007

AZZA