Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
Warrenk

Default 10 Year Warranty for Kia, it Could Happen

Kia Australia looking at a 10 year warranty. If it was a 10 year warranty would you buy one?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...mUmjbWzsIUV0TA
Old 31-01-2020, 03:50 AM   #2
UTXR8

Default Re: 10 Year Warranty for Kia, it Could Happen

i would consider buying one anyway, were i in the market for a new car.........
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

As I said in another thread, companies like Hyundai and Kia that offer long warranties probably don't need to
and companies that don't like Ford really should....it may be marketing but it's a ton of reassurance to buyers.

Kia will go from strength to strength on this, such a pity Stinger styling wasn't better executed.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Stinger styling might not be to everyones taste but I can't believe the attention mine gets, I don't think I've owned another car that gets this much praise (the Mustang would be a close second).
I just think once Hyundai and Kia bring out a twin cab and a proper 4WD they will power up the sales charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
As I said in another thread, companies like Hyundai and Kia that offer long warranties probably don't need to
and companies that don't like Ford really should....it may be marketing but it's a ton of reassurance to buyers.

Kia will go from strength to strength on this, such a pity Stinger styling wasn't better executed.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They all already offer 2 more years than anyone else, so why would they bother? Cause all it will cost them is future $$$. After 9 years the warranty costs would have to escalate when things start going wrong. Even well built cars start having more and more issues as time goes on.

Or will the warranty not be worth a pinch of salt, because normal wear and tear exclusions will basically mean they won't have to fix much?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Peace of mind, there's nothing like knowing your car is covered by not only 7yrs of warranty which the manufacturer actually stands by, but the 7yrs of comprehensive roadside assistance which goes with it, especially where a 7yr finance package is selected by a buyer that needs to fit the repayments into their budget.
An additional 3yrs is an added bonus.

Much of the equipment in a Kia is superseded Hyundai tech so its already tried and proven.
Kia are accountable in the same way as any other make under Australian consumer law and any exclusions including perishables and wear and tear items are listed.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience Kia's reliability isn't as good as Toyota.
The Cerato, Sportage and Carnivals we have at work all have had issues under 50k kms.

They are decent cars, but if I was going to keep a car for ten years I'd still take a Toyota with its lesser warranty.

Parts supply and prices are an issue too
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love my Stinger, so capable in so many ways. The warranty just gives you piece of mind.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
The Cerato, Sportage and Carnivals we have at work all have had issues under 50k kms.
Care to elaborate?
Old 31-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

They are decent cars, but if I was going to keep a car for ten years I'd still take a Toyota with its lesser warranty.

I disagree, I'm in the auto parts business & Hyundai/Kia parts supply is superior to Toyota & their prices are also more competitive. I'm talking here about general service parts, filters, brakes, electrical etc.

Toyota parts have never been cheap & plentiful. H/K quality is now very good, a far cry for their earlier offerings.

I think Hyundai/Kia have taken a leaf out of Holden's book, they were kings of parts supply & prices for decades.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I think Hyundai/Kia have taken a leaf out of Holden's book, they were kings of parts supply & prices for decades.
Dr Terry
Holden parts used to be available from the local café, (well, not really) but were never hard to find. That was when Holden were an Australian company, (well, not really, again) but were accepted as.
Kia is on the way to that. They are tuning their cars to Australian conditions and applying that knowledge to overseas markets.
Provided they don't start hitting their cars with the ugly stick, they could end up being #2 in Australia overall, as no company is going to catch Toyota.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Are we talking major warranty defects or minor easy to resolve issues? I don’t think Toyota is immune to either

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Provided they don't start hitting their cars with the ugly stick, they could end up being #2 in Australia overall, as no company is going to catch Toyota.
They said the same about Holden in the 50s & 60s & probably the same about Ford during the 80s. During the late 50s GM-H had over 50% of the market. Never say never !!

I think if Hyundai/Kia add a dual cab ute & a Landcruiser style 4WD to the range, their combined sales should eclipse Toyota/lexus not too far down the track.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have grave concerns over where these warranties are going.

The first thing most people don't understand (and just watch them come out of the woodwork to argue) is that in Australia, your statutory protection against Manufacturers Defect is unlimited. That's why you get your Takata airbags replaced, even on a 20yr old car. It's also why there have been numerous other recalls on cars way outside warranty.
In practice obviously, most defects show up far quicker.
Point is that offering a 10 year warranty against Manufacturers Defect is literally worthless (in Australia.)

In the past, warranties did NOT exclude wear & tear, except on specific items. (Usually Tyres, Batteries, Brakes, Bulbs, etc.) But that's why the warranties were limited to 12 months and 20kkm.
In those days, the 2 (and sometimes 3) year warranties were really worth something.
And that was the difference between a factory warranty, and dealers flogging you a "Genuine 'Toyota' Extended Warranty" that wasn't worth wiping your *** on.

But then the warranties started growing, and the "fair wear & tear" clauses began creeping in.
It's the "unlimited km" warranties that really started the rot.
If a manufacturer warranties their car for say X years and 100kkm, and a (non-excluded) part requires replacement within say 80kkm, then you've got a pretty good case. But when they offer "unlimited kms, subject to fair wear & tear" it becomes much harder to claim.

Now having said that, it really comes down to how good the Dealer and the Maker are in reality.

If you want to buy a computer, HP, Dell, Lennovo, and Acer will all offer the same basic warranty. HP are highly professional, Dell are clueless but will keep replacing parts till its fixed. Lennovo or Acer, you might as well stab yourself in the dick with a rusty fork and wait to bleed to death.

When buying a new Ford, I would always shop around for the best deal, but there were only a couple I would take them to for servicing and repairs.
Our local dealer is __ford. For years we lived with walking distance, and I've even bought a couple there. I wouldn't take a car there for warranty issues if they were the last dealer on earth. I reckon if you took delivery of a new car, drove around to service and the door fell off, they'd say it wasn't covered under warranty.
I remember when one of the oldest Ford Dealers in Perth, went under, driven there by their absolutely appalling service department. Obviously their service division would not have made a lot of money, their used car department became a pariah, and ultimately even their fleet sales dried up.

I've found Nissan to be ok, with their dealers a real mixed bag. My experience, and what I have heard, with Mazda has always been good.
Old 31-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

The first thing most people don't understand (and just watch them come out of the woodwork to argue) is that in Australia, your statutory protection against Manufacturers Defect is unlimited. That's why you get your Takata airbags replaced, even on a 20yr old car. It's also why there have been numerous other recalls on cars way outside warranty.
In practice obviously, most defects show up far quicker.
Point is that offering a 10 year warranty against Manufacturers Defect is literally worthless (in Australia.)

In the past, warranties did NOT exclude wear & tear, except on specific items. (Usually Tyres, Batteries, Brakes, Bulbs, etc.) But that's why the warranties were limited to 12 months and 20kkm.
In those days, the 2 (and sometimes 3) year warranties were really worth something.
And that was the difference between a factory warranty, and dealers flogging you a "Genuine 'Toyota' Extended Warranty" that wasn't worth wiping your *** on.

But then the warranties started growing, and the "fair wear & tear" clauses began creeping in.
It's the "unlimited km" warranties that really started the rot.
If a manufacturer warranties their car for say X years and 100kkm, and a (non-excluded) part requires replacement within say 80kkm, then you've got a pretty good case. But when they offer "unlimited kms, subject to fair wear & tear" it becomes much harder to claim.

Now having said that, it really comes down to how good the Dealer and the Maker are in reality.

If you want to buy a computer, HP, Dell, Lennovo, and Acer will all offer the same basic warranty. HP are highly professional, Dell are clueless but will keep replacing parts till its fixed. Lennovo or Acer, you might as well stab yourself in the dick with a rusty fork and wait to bleed to death.

When buying a new Ford, I would always shop around for the best deal, but there were only a couple I would take them to for servicing and repairs.
Our local dealer is __ford. For years we lived with walking distance, and I've even bought a couple there. I wouldn't take a car there for warranty issues if they were the last dealer on earth. I reckon if you took delivery of a new car, drove around to service and the door fell off, they'd say it wasn't covered under warranty.
I remember when one of the oldest Ford Dealers in Perth, went under, driven there by their absolutely appalling service department. Obviously their service division would not have made a lot of money, their used car department became a pariah, and ultimately even their fleet sales dried up.

I've found Nissan to be ok, with their dealers a real mixed bag. My experience, and what I have heard, with Mazda has always been good.
I agree with most of this, however, in defence of the longer warranties and exclusions, manufacturers have to draw a line somewhere, you cant expect something like a Shock absorber or clutch to last 10yrs and unlimited kilometres in all conditions, some do, some dont, so it makes sense to have exclusions to keep things in perspective so long as the consumer knows that this is the case.
I don't expect KIA to cover every part of my car for even 7yrs, I understand that certain parts will wear and have read the warranty info provided, but if the trans or engine lets go, I know im covered for 7yrs.
Im 16 months into my 7yr warranty and despite it being one of the cheapest cars on the market, its been faultless so far touch wood and the only thing that did present as an issue was a poorly replaced door handle surround which wasn't even caused by KIA but by the mob who did the tint, yet they gladly rectified it at the first service.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Along the lines of Crazy Dazz, we all know tyres, brakes, batteries, shocks etc are excluded from warranty on normal cases due to them being a wear and tear or consumable. At the moment I reckon you could get a seat belt or window regulator replaced under a 3
year warranty but in year 9 or 10 I reckon the manufacturer will call normal wear and tear.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps I should start looking for a Kia forum to see if any owners have had warranty problems.
The family Kia Sportage is nearly 5 years old, has nearly 90Km on it, and never had a warranty issue, so I can't comment on how it would be handled.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #18
minheim

The DCT in the KIA Seltos has been recalled for issues in Korea and there are also reports of problems with it in India where the Seltos went on sale in 2019. There have been reports of the transmission only selecting odd or even gears. Kia claim to have fixed this with a software upgrade. However some have suggested it is likely the temperature parameters have been increased to reduce the risk of skipping gears due to overheating in heavy traffic. If so then that will stress the DCT long term. The Hyundai Veloster also has had a history of DCT issues. I am glad Ford are showing increased preference for torque autos and I do prefer their ecoboost engines. I also think Ford have better tech than the Koreans and will quickly advance EVs in their range. Don't forget Mitsubishi used to have a 10 driveline warranty and dropped it as there was low demand. I wonder how many people really plan to keep a car for 10 years given technology and safety increases. Also how many will keep going to a dealer after 6 or 7 years.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #19
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really makes the design engineers job even harder to make the parts last 10 years and fail in the 11th.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't think of a Kia I would want to own, but I'd be encouraging my wife to buy one since she doesn't care about cars that much.
She currently has a 5 year old i30 which has been faultless, yet I'd never own one for myself.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #21
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
Also how many will keep going to a dealer after 6 or 7 years.

That's the Rub...

To Keep your Warranty valid It Must be serviced in accordance to the handbook..
They're mainly a Ploy to keep the Workshop Busy.. In My cynical opinion..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #22
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It really makes the design engineers job even harder to make the parts last 10 years and fail in the 11th.
Don’t worry I am sure they will manage.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #23
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I can't think of a Kia I would want to own, but I'd be encouraging my wife to buy one since she doesn't care about cars that much.
She currently has a 5 year old i30 which has been faultless, yet I'd never own one for myself.
Looked at a Kia Cerato GT seemd well finished thought about buying one dont know what to buy now thye are not making Falcons
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #24
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 10 year warranty would have to show supreme confidence in the product's engineering and longevity.

By comparison, BMW only offer a 3 year / unlimited km warranty.

Maybe Kia are very well made?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
That's the Rub...

Isn't that the case with any vehicle manufacturers warranty though, they all require that the vehicle is serviced as stipulated by the manufacturer.
Mine is 12mth/15k with capped price and whilst its not compulsory to have it serviced by a KIA dealer to maintain the warranty, every service done through a KIA dealer extends the roadside assistance program by 12 months.

When I had my 12 month service done I asked them to use oil I provided which they we're only too happy to accommodate and then subtracted the oil component from the capped price, some $70, I paid half that for the oil so I actually saved on the total.

The idea of 7 or even 10yr warranty isn't because they think a buyer will keep it that long as that would be counter productive to repeat sales, its purely a psychological tool used to make the prospective buyer feel at ease pulling the trigger on one and looking at the numbers, its working.
Like insurance, you may never call on it, but you buy it because you might.

Lets not forget, 20+ years ago KIA was building cars for Ford, one of which was amongst the most popular of its time, the Festiva.

Last edited by BENT_8; 31-01-2020 at 11:23 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 01:02 AM   #26
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Stinger styling might not be to everyones taste but I can't believe the attention mine gets.
Neither do I.

Most with car taste get more attention by not driving one.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2020, 05:15 AM   #27
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
in Australia, your statutory protection against Manufacturers Defect is unlimited. That's why you get your Takata airbags replaced, even on a 20yr old car.
Hi, The reason you get mandatory recall of Takata airbags is that they kill people. The car manufacturers can (and should) be legally held responsible for the injury to the driver, without time limitations. Let's not use this as an example for other warranties related to keep cars operational.

I think Kia have made many sales by offering the 7 years warranty. People don't look at the small print when signing up.

One of my work colleagues has a big interest in cars, and lived in US around 1997 - 2002. He told me that he lived near a Hyundai dealer in Houston at the time, which already back then offered 6-year no fuzz warranty for their small sh*t-boxes in the American market. Hyundai sold a lot of 'boxes' due to being the only car (s-box) with long warranty. He told me that at the back of the dealer they had their own little wrecking yard, where they had several buy-back wrecks, and used them to pick of second-hand parts, to immediately patch up any customer's s-box with no questions asked at all, back on the road no matter what. No questions asked, no mileage limit, simply back on the road within hours with functioning parts. All covered by the warranty.
Quite good really. But I still wouldn't drive a 90's Accent, even if it had on-road at all times warranty My colleague didn't either. He had a new Corvette and an old Corvette while there.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Do not confuse recalls with warranty as recalls are forced onto manufacturers regardless if you have warranty or not.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #29
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
That's the Rub...

You can take a brand new car to any qualified and licensed mechanic. As long as they service it to manufacturer specs your completely covered by warranty.

In saying that, I spoke with our Hyundai mechanic who said they covered a Veloster Turbo, turbo replacement even though it was serviced with not to spec oil.

Hyundai covered a ripped drivers seat in our Iload and told us they were replacing very worn seats in Genesis’ used as hire cars even with 200,000 kms on them.

So these long warranty’s along with consumer protection has you truly covered. I think the longer warranty just takes the pain and time out of throwing the consumer protection laws book at the dealer. They just fix it within reason.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #30
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
You can take a brand new car to any qualified and licensed mechanic. As long as they service it to manufacturer specs your completely covered by warranty.

I'm well aware of that point.. (I actually do My own servicing) But the average Punter Doesn't. So they Blindly take It back to the dealer for the duration.......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post