Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #91
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Owning an old Merc as a cruiser? Other options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Here is an example of what ten large can get you...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kedr...dan/1235876982

Neat and practical with four doors. Low mileage, but cannot imagine how to get parts for it.
Parts are readily available for older Benz's if you know where to look.

And a whole lot cheaper than parts for 70's falcons
Old 16-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #92
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

What about this https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/d...nz-280e-768170 w123 with nearly 3 million built in this model, there is still parts to be found. At 3k it’s a good entry point.

Then add a set of these https://www.macarbon.com/mercedes-84...3-piece-detail to it to really make it stand out.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #93
Fourgearsticks
Starter Motor

What's wrong NC series Fairlane? Plastic bumpers but what a great cruiser. Fuel injected Windsor, 4 speed auto. THE best V8 sound with a proper dual system. Five seats, your long legged friends can sit in the back without being doubled up. Slippery diff standard. Cruise at 100 kph at 1750 revs while sipping 8 L/100 k's. They have great aircon.
You can have a cruiser for under 3k.................if your not a snob.
Fourgearsticks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourgearsticks View Post
What's wrong NC series Fairlane? Plastic bumpers but what a great cruiser. Fuel injected Windsor, 4 speed auto. THE best V8 sound with a proper dual system. Five seats, your long legged friends can sit in the back without being doubled up. Slippery diff standard. Cruise at 100 kph at 1750 revs while sipping 8 L/100 k's. They have great aircon.
You can have a cruiser for under 3k.................if your not a snob.
E7 heads nd the BTR's first gear with a 3.08 diff is the problem with an NC Fairlane
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #95
Fourgearsticks
Starter Motor

As a cruiser is the title of the thread not what would make a good drag car ��
Old 16-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #96
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do like the NC fair lanes, not sure about 8L/100km, lucky to get that downhill with a tailwind! Fuel use is of no concern anyway. Kept my eye on them, $4.5k is the cheapest “good” one I’ve seen, still cheap for a cruiser. Not really what I’m after
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #97
Fourgearsticks
Starter Motor

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dand...ual/1241502951

A Barra powered cruiser.............bloody cheap. Compared to 30 or 40 years ago (I'm an old fart) decent cars are very cheap.
Old 16-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #98
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
As a cruiser is the title of the thread not what would make a good drag car ��
Cruiser doesn't equal 'slow' either, especially when it gets chopped by Grandma in her Corolla on the way to Bingo
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #99
Fourgearsticks
Starter Motor

Franco, depends what you define as slow. I have an LS1 Adventra, mafless tune, it's not a supercar but with all wheel drive and traction control goes pretty hard. At just under 14 second quarter which is similar to an old GTHO the Adventra is no slug. The Fairlane will eat it off the line, when the LS1 gets to over 4000 it pulls away but the 302 Ford has more low down than the 350 Chev. We also do quite a bit of towing, the Fairlane makes a better tow car than the Holden because of the lowdown torque. I'll add I've always had Fords in nearly 50 years of driving. Fairlane has 600,000 k's on it and will still towel up the Adventra off the line
Old 17-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #100
Swordie

1998 E55 $13,500
345hp and 500+nm
0-100 around 5 seconds
WA
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6480103/?Cr=9

See how negotiable it is.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #101
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
1998 E55 $13,500
345hp and 500+nm
0-100 around 5 seconds
WA
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6480103/?Cr=9

See how negotiable it is.
And an old school 'real' AMG to boot. A bargain compared to a HSV of the same vintage....
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 12:38 AM   #102
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit too new for me!

With that coin I would rather go for something like these 2:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...6507470/?Cr=26
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...6292861/?Cr=12
Old 18-02-2020, 02:28 AM   #103
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Jags are out, missus really doesn't like them, I'm 50/50. Benz mid 70s 450SLC is also ticking boxes for me and the missus!
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...5792957/?Cr=10

I'm also keen on an XE/XF S-pak manual, straight and un-molested.
Does your missus have a Guide Dog? (jokes. Each to their own)

Last edited by MercuryT; 18-02-2020 at 02:40 AM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 02:35 AM   #104
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT View Post
And an old school 'real' AMG to boot. A bargain compared to a HSV of the same vintage....
Yep I find old Mercs boring as but see a tidy AMG (real not just the badge like every 3 series crapbox with big wheels is a M3 )........it's cool.

Korn "Got the Life" has an E55 from memory......sweet ride
Old 18-02-2020, 02:42 AM   #105
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
What's wrong NC series Fairlane?
Everything?

Old 18-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #106
Fourgearsticks
Starter Motor

Some of yoo blokes are car snobs. Going slightly off topic, that's one of the reasons why we have major car manufactures pulling out from Australia. For the last 30 years Australia has produced very good cars, yet Australians avoided buying them in droves. The last Holdens built in Adelaide were great vehicles.
It appears you have to have a particular type of car, capable of doing 300 kph in 200 metres then you have to lower it so it can't be driven over speed bumps and then put on ridiculous drug dealer bling wheels. I'm sure a metre wide speakers are involved as well.Then it's considered a "Cruiser"
The "grass is always greener" is only in your minds. A 70's Cortina, 80's X Falcons, even Commodores, they are all good vehicles. You don't have to have the latest Amerrycarn Mustang or a 60's Pontiac to enjoy cruising. Yo a buncho snobs.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #107
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Some of yoo blokes are car snobs. Going slightly off topic, that's one of the reasons why we have major car manufactures pulling out from Australia. For the last 30 years Australia has produced very good cars, yet Australians avoided buying them in droves. The last Holdens built in Adelaide were great vehicles.
It appears you have to have a particular type of car, capable of doing 300 kph in 200 metres then you have to lower it so it can't be driven over speed bumps and then put on ridiculous drug dealer bling wheels. I'm sure a metre wide speakers are involved as well.Then it's considered a "Cruiser"
The "grass is always greener" is only in your minds. A 70's Cortina, 80's X Falcons, even Commodores, they are all good vehicles. You don't have to have the latest Amerrycarn Mustang or a 60's Pontiac to enjoy cruising. Yo a buncho snobs.
I think you will find most here like all types of cars, and those that dont are typically of the bogan persuasion.

As for buying a E55 instead of a FPV/FTE/HSV, yes they are at times even cheaper than the local equivalent but be careful. Buying modern muscle is not in the same league as old school. Fail one of those engines and you will be looking at big $$ or dropping a LS in...so you may aswell have a commy.

You can get lucky, but most good examples of EU power are reflected in their price, the cheapies need bulk cash.

Stay pre 1980 and you should be safe(r).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #108
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I like to think I’m both a snob and a bogan. :p

There are lots of interesting cars; filtering on Carsales by price, number of doors, year, body type and size, number of cylinders is one way to see what’s on offer for how much without introducing brand bias.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #109
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some of yoo blokes are car snobs.
What's wrong with being a snob?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #110
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

There are lots of interesting cars; filtering on Carsales by price, number of doors, year, body type and size, number of cylinders is one way to see what’s on offer for how much without introducing brand bias.
That’s basically what I’ve been doing. It’s funny how you set the price at $10k, then see what cool cars are there for only $5k more, then if you’re at $15k you might as well check out the $20k range!!! Then ya gotta stop and reassess why you were looking at the $10k range in the first place! You soon find a couple cars that you are drawn to, then you start zooming in on all the photos looking for rust bubbles, missing trim etc etc.... hoping to find one local but I’m no rush so will be patient.
Old 18-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #111
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay old mercs are easy to get parts for and actually pretty easy to work on if you accept the quirks inherent with them

But they rust but for 10k you’d get a good w116 or 123. 126’s are now in that range to

Stick with the six, the v8’s are higher maintenance and almost all will need a chain, chain guides tensioner and head work.

The 3.5-3.8 howl like a banshee and are great fun just not great performers off the line. At highway speed they’re great.

The 4.5-5.6 engines more lazy and cruisy no different in performance

Buy the best one you can with an good interior, you will have to sell crack otherwise. Exterior and mechanicals are cheap.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2020, 02:12 AM   #112
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
That’s basically what I’ve been doing. It’s funny how you set the price at $10k, then see what cool cars are there for only $5k more, then if you’re at $15k you might as well check out the $20k range!!! Then ya gotta stop and reassess why you were looking at the $10k range in the first place! You soon find a couple cars that you are drawn to, then you start zooming in on all the photos looking for rust bubbles, missing trim etc etc.... hoping to find one local but I’m no rush so will be patient.
Forget buying one local. Put that out of your head entirely because when you find the right car it's worth an air ticket. Purely because there's way less cheaper cool cars in WA and what there are cost more and may be in worse condition.
It's worth traveling for the right car. I've considered traveling to SA, ACT and the eastern states all the time when looking for old BMWs. I should have but instead I settled for local where the previous owner did very dumb things with the interior that will cost me a lot of time and money tracking original parts for (which I'll probably have to get from east - listen to the person above about the interior), and Isettled for an auto when I should have traveled for a manual - there was no manuals in WA.

I'm a snobogan, I like my cheap old (recent) ford falcons as a daily, I also love any marque no matter what maybe pre 1973, but also like 80s-90s bmws (i6 is king for an old cheap and reliable daily; fords or BMW). E: I could have gone merc but I had to pick and I went for not merc.

Last edited by oldel; 19-02-2020 at 02:26 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #113
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just realised I didn't update this. Reading back through the posts was quite entertaining!

Ended up with a 1975 W116 280S, 2.8L 6cyl with carby. It's in great condition, original with no rust in the usual places, floors/boot all straight, just a spot here and there. Cost me $7.5k in March 2020, basically only spent money on maintenance in the last year/6000km. Tried a few different style of wheels (Merc factory alloys, aftermarket 5 spoke) but have basically gone back to stock everything, tinted windows the only mod. Drives smooth (like sitting in an old couch) and has suited me perfectly, still very happy with my decision. If it was V8 it would be perfect!!!

Old 27-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #114
mondeomatureguy

Hi Every one,
Like most things there are good cars and bad cars no d doubt there are some good Mercedes Benz around also.

I was a Hire car driver in the 1990s and i used to drive a Ford NF Fairlane. My car went in for a service so they gave me a V8 Mercedes Benz for a few days.
Too look at it, it was a beautiful car but once it got going it used more oil then petrol.

It had done 300,000ks and it needed a motor rebuild but that put me off Mercedes after that ad because its a Mercedes when you go to get it serviced they charge a fortune.

I couldn't wait till my i got my fairlane back!.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post