Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up THE ageing Ford Escape could be replaced by the new European-made Kuga.

THE ageing Ford Escape could be replaced by the new European-made Kuga.

Ford director of product development Russell Christophers said the company was moving towards simplifying the number of platforms to improve economies of scale, which points to the move toward the Focus-based Kuga.

However, Christophers pointed out that the Escape had the price advantage of being made in Thailand where production costs were lower and the free trade agreement with Australia benefited imports.

"I'm not saying yes or no to the Kuga, but what the company needs to do is decrease the number of platforms," Christophers said.

"The Focus C car platform can be used for a sedan, hatch, wagon, people mover and an SUV.

"You want to have a global platform for economies of scale, but you want to build them in the right place for the right market."

The Kuga comes with two diesel options in Europe with plans to introduce the 2.5-litre turbocharged five-cylinder petrol engine from the XR5 Focus and Mondeo.

Christophers said Australia could also start to see some of Ford's ECOnetric fuel-miser vehicles later this year.

Apart from smaller, forced-induction EcoBoost engines, the ECOnetric vehicles come with a variety of fuel-saving measures such as higher-geared transmissions, lowered suspension to reduce drag, aerodynamic body kits, low-resistance tyres and low-viscosity transmission oil.

ECOnetrics is used in Europe in Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta models.

Christophers would not say which models would be among those to benefit from the technologies first.

"It provides customers with a fuel-efficient car, but sacrificing some attributes such as performance because of the taller gearing etcetera," he said.

"We will look at bringing them in, but I can't say in which vehicles yet."

Old 23-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I thought it was a given that the Kuga would replace the Escape here?? Especially when Focus production starts here :
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I thought it was a given that the Kuga would replace the Escape here?? Especially when Focus production starts here :
Kuga is no longer being considered. Something else is being studied, which will be on another platform all together.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Kuga is no longer being considered. Something else is being studied, which will be on another platform all together.
This seems like a stupid decision to me. They're already going to have the capacity to produce the C platform locally, so why not add another product to the line that is based on the same platform? (one that would sell rather well I would imagine)
Old 23-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
This seems like a stupid decision to me. They're already going to have the capacity to produce the C platform locally, so why not add another product to the line that is based on the same platform? (one that would sell rather well I would imagine)
Knowing what vehicle is being considered, I understand that this will make sense. I do think it is the wrong one, but, will ensure that supply is at a maximum, which seems to delay every imported Ford, including Transit.
Old 23-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Kuga looks stunning IMO
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
You have me intrigued Paxton! Are you talking for sale or for manufacture here in Aus? Can you say?!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
You have me intrigued Paxton! Are you talking for sale or for manufacture here in Aus? Can you say?!
My Apologies, I couldn't have been less clear.

I only mean manufacture. Kuga is still being considered for import.

Personally, if Escape looked more like this below, Ford would sell a few more.

Old 23-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ford director of product development Russell Christophers said the company was moving towards simplifying the number of platforms to improve economies of scale, which points to the move toward the Focus-based Kuga.

"You want to have a global platform for economies of scale, but you want to build them in the right place for the right market."

Christophers said Australia could also start to see some of Ford's ECOnetric fuel-miser vehicles later this year.

ECOnetrics is used in Europe in Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta models.

"We will look at bringing them in, but I can't say in which vehicles yet."
Importantly, who is this Russell Christophers? How long has he been at Ford Aus? How long in that role? Is is now that Burela is here that he is being allowed to talk up Ford?

I think it is great, because he has been in the media for 3 things this week. All of them positives! Territory, New V8 (which he also fitted in a dig about GM and GMH perhaps not being around and Ford/FPV taking their business!) and now this.

Econetic Fiesta, a 3.9L/100km car will be here this year. Possibly the most efficient vehicle on the market!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ford is going to build the Kuga here in the US at the Kentucky truck plant. I am wondering how this is going to fit in Ford's scheme of things. The Escape/Mariner is still a very good seller.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
My Apologies, I couldn't have been less clear.

I only mean manufacture. Kuga is still being considered for import.

Personally, if Escape looked more like this below, Ford would sell a few more.

Aah now that is an attractive looking puppy. I think part of the Escape's problem is it's meek (almost lame) styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Importantly, who is this Russell Christophers? How long has he been at Ford Aus? How long in that role? Is is now that Burela is here that he is being allowed to talk up Ford?

I think it is great, because he has been in the media for 3 things this week. All of them positives! Territory, New V8 (which he also fitted in a dig about GM and GMH perhaps not being around and Ford/FPV taking their business!) and now this.
All that's happened is that he's been quoted at a media gathering or press release and the media outlet in question is 'saving' numerous tidbits for later (makes it seem like they've found out lots of new news) to make it look like they're on the ball/increase readership on slow news days. I don't think he's been 'let off the leash' it's just Drivel.com.au saving stuff from one interview for slow news days (and Drive it seems has quite a lot of them
Old 24-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Aah now that is an attractive looking puppy. I think part of the Escape's problem is it's meek (almost lame) styling.
Agreed, it's amazing how the styling of the Escape seems to take a step backwards with every update.

The Kuga looks great, they should bring it to Oz sooner rather than later.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ford would definetly sell alot more if the escape looked like that!
Old 25-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
FoMoKid

Quote:
Knowing what vehicle is being considered, I understand that this will make sense. I do think it is the wrong one, but, will ensure that supply is at a maximum, which seems to delay every imported Ford, including Transit.

Now why would you mention Transit specifically? It would make pretty good sense to me if they could build the Transit off the Falcon platform? :voldar02:

So when you say supply, you don't just mean supply of cars do you? Could you be talking about componentry?

Interesting...

2008 LV FOCUS XR5 MOONDUST SILVER
FoMoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoKid
Now why would you mention Transit specifically? It would make pretty good sense to me if they could build the Transit off the Falcon platform? :voldar02:

So when you say supply, you don't just mean supply of cars do you? Could you be talking about componentry?

Interesting...
I mention Transit, because Australia Post have ended a 30 year relationship with Transit, and are taking delivery of Mercedes Benz Vitos. If Ford could have supplied enough Transits, Australia Post would have bought them, without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 25-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Quote:
Having had some time to think about this one and done a little bit of research and digging, I take back what I said above. They've done the right thing.