Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default 17 year old having fun ends in automotive tragedy.

I was on shift last night and heard this going down over the radio. I have spoken to the crew that handled it but I am not going to go deep into the details as police have not released the full details yet and therefore I will not give any details that you can not get from the police press release.

Quote:
Update -Fatal traffic crash, Lytton: A 17-year-old Murarrie man died in a fatal traffic crash at Lytton last night. Around 8.50pm police were called to a single vehicle roll over on Freight Street at Lytton. Four other 17-year-old occupants in the vehicle at the time of the crash were not seriously injured but were transported to hospital for observation and treatment for shock. Forensic Crash Unit is investigating.
I will leave it at this, these guys were having a bit of fun and one has paid the ultimate price, 4 others have to live with that. The situation was something that often occurs illegally (as it was in this case) or in the so called "legal safety" of private property.

What these guys were doing was in no way legal or even what most would consider a good idea, for a start the vehicle did not have enough seating for 6 occupants.

My point, just take it a bit easy and consider the consequences of your actions, live to play another day.

My condolences to the family and friends of the lad, lets hope that others will learn from this tragedy so your loss is not in vain.

Last edited by geckoGT; 26-09-2010 at 04:07 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
My point, just take it a bit easy and consider the consequences of your actions, live to play another day.
just saw the news highlights that showed a bit about this. In hindsight, a little bit of caution, but i guess at that age, we dont think about what could happen. Tragedy for all the families and others involved.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was on shift last night and heard this going down over the radio. I have spoken to the crew that handled it but I am not going to go deep into the details as police have not released the full details yet and therefore I will not give any details that you can not get from the police press release.

I will leave it at this, these guys were having a bit of fun and one has paid the ultimate price, 4 others have to live with that. The situation was something that often occurs illegally (as it was in this case) or in the so called "legal safety" of private property.

What these guys were doing was in no way legal or even what most would consider a good idea, for a start the vehicle did not have enough seating for 6 occupants.

My condolences to the family and friends of the lad, lets hope that others will learn from this tragedy so your loss is not in vain.
This is truely a tragedy.To all here please don't cast judgement unless you have all the facts.The driver of the ute and his family are close friends of ours and well respected in the wider community as well as the sports community.All of the boys are all known to us and all attend my daughters school in the same grade.The victim was a shining light in his beloved parents eyes and a great young man.The driver and his family were at a pre formal event at our place only a few weeks ago and were more than excited at the opportunities and prospects that lay ahead of them.This has now been turned upside down due to what you would say were bad choices.The school community has been hit hard by this news today.I have just returned from the scene of the accident and I can't say that they were doing the wrong thing.Doing donuts on a vacant block of land out the back of an industrial estate,not on a public road or near a suburban community but basically a flat block of grassed land well off any road.A great place to let off a bit of steam.I have not got 100 percent of the story as those involved are very distraught,understandably.But it is starting to become apparent that the poor lad whose life was taken was not actually in or on the ute but standing by watching the boys cut loose.RIP Ash.Sincere condolences to family and friends.As I said please don't judge these kids as they are not a bunch of bad kids just a group of year 12 boys having fun.It is a timely reminder though that what appears to be harmless fun can end in tragedy.To those with kids about to get there license,as one of mine is,please let this be a timely reminder of the dangers involved in operating a motor vehicle and good choices need to be made at all times.

Last edited by Mercury 8; 26-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Turboconvert

My condolences (and I am sure many others on here will want to send out condolences as well) go to the family and friends of the departed. Not to hijack the thread but to drive home a point already made, but my dad and I had been driving to Brisbane yesterday and came accross what looked to be a very serious accident on the highway. A young driver doesnt need to be involved in the accident for a life to be lost. Please, please people (young and old) be aware of the dangers involved in cars. We here all enjoy our cars and love nothing less then doing things to them and with them, no matter what that is. But we all need to realise that they are also potential weapons and as such deserve respect as so.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
This is truely a tragedy.To all here please don't cast judgement unless you have all the facts.The driver of the ute and his family are close friends of ours and well respected in the wider community as well as the sports community.All of the boys are all known to us and all attend my daughters school in the same grade.The victim was a shining light in his beloved parents eyes and a great young man.The driver and his family were at a pre formal event at our place only a few weeks ago and were more than excited at the opportunities and prospects that lay ahead of them.This has now been turned upside down due to what you would say were bad choices.The school community has been hit hard by this news today.I have just returned from the scene of the accident and I can't say that they were doing the wrong thing.Doing donuts on a vacant block of land out the back of an industrial estate,not on a public road or near a suburban community but basically a flat block of grassed land well off any road.A great place to let off a bit of steam.I have not got 100 percent of the story as those involved are very distraught,understandably.But it is starting to become apparent that the poor lad whose life was taken was not actually in or on the ute but standing by watching the boys cut loose.RIP Ash.Sincere condolences to family and friends.As I said please don't judge these kids as they are not a bunch of bad kids just a group of year 12 boys having fun.It is a timely reminder though that what appears to be harmless fun can end in tragedy.To those with kids about to get there license,as one of mine is,please let this be a timely reminder of the dangers involved in operating a motor vehicle and good choices need to be made at all times.

Good post.

Please do not misunderstand my intent, if it came across the wrong way I sincerely apologise.

My purpose of this thread is not to judge or criticise those involved in what was unfortunately a bit of youthful fun gone wrong. Along those lines, lets keep the judgement out of it, lets just pass on our sympathy and learn from the experience.

My intent is just to bring it into the minds of our younger members (and the young at heart), so that maybe when they have a bit of fun, they will do it in a way that will reduce the risk without reducing the fun.

There have been many incidents like this in the past, especially in my childhood and the area I grew up in (farming district). I just hope we can all learn from the mistakes of others.
Old 26-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a shame when those who aren't being bad are punished, meanwhile those doing terrible and dumb things get away scott free... Condolences
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
JimNiki
71Mach1

yep ... it does change your life and circumstances when this sort of thing happens ...
Our group (when we were in our teens) lost 2 friends to these sorts of silly things...

It really forces you to grow up quickly...
maybe because of what happened to them the rest of us are now all ok...

gone but never forgotten...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A 17-year-old Murarrie man died in a fatal traffic crash at Lytton last night. Around 8.50pm police were called to a single vehicle roll over on Freight Street at Lytton
I hope Sonny Bonds is on this case.

The lesson will never be learned completely, and unfortunately all too often it takes this sort of tragedy to remind people that driving safely is dangerous enough, without this sort of tomfoolery.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
jordsnissannx
SR20 Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
mate sorry to say this but it doesnt matter if u doing burnouts or donuts anywhere else but ur own property, its not their property to be doing anything to so they shouldnt have been there and if the person who got killed was hit by the car doing the stupid things, then who careless and idiotic were their actions, sorry if this offends anyone but this is the **** that happens every day and yous are trying to say its ok, they're good kids, well to me its seems like they were just doing wat every other 17yo does wen they got their licence, i should know, i did the same, but the differemce between me and all those other ones out there is i have fear, they think its alright, nothing will happen, someone needs to knock it into their head that they only just got their licence, wat makes them think they know anything about driving? and the playstation doesnt count
jordsnissannx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsnissannx
mate sorry to say this but it doesnt matter if u doing burnouts or donuts anywhere else but ur own property, its not their property to be doing anything to so they shouldnt have been there and if the person who got killed was hit by the car doing the stupid things, then who careless and idiotic were their actions, sorry if this offends anyone but this is the **** that happens every day and yous are trying to say its ok, they're good kids, well to me its seems like they were just doing wat every other 17yo does wen they got their licence, i should know, i did the same, but the differemce between me and all those other ones out there is i have fear, they think its alright, nothing will happen, someone needs to knock it into their head that they only just got their licence, wat makes them think they know anything about driving? and the playstation doesnt count
See your point of view but lets keep the character assassination out of it, we have enough threads like that and it is counterproductive in my aim for this thread. My aim here is to show that sometimes even a bit of youthful exuberance and fun can end in tragedy, if you must do this sort of thing (most of us have), think of the risks and minimise them.
Old 26-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
AussieAV

Condolences to all involved Mercury 8.

A tragedy like this touches so many lives, especially when it involves kids still at school. School (whether it's us or our kids) is one of the biggest and closest social communities we will ever be a part of.

Wish everyone the best as you struggle with this trying time in your lives.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
zdcol71
zdcol71

A heartfelt post mercury8.I know this block of land well.(I use this area to take my kids driving afterhours); I often see kids belting around on bikes and generally having a great time. Have often envied them as well for the freedom to just hang out with their mates and have a good time together, unencumbered with the humdrum of life that so often stops us older guys from cutting loose and doing the same things as often as we would like.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsnissannx
No not fear, you got away with it as did i. But whilst i agree somewhat with your post lets leave out the generalisation for now.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Condolences to family and friends, and also condolences to the ambos who are confronted with the scene and have to be the bearer of bad news.

Life can be turned around or stopped completely in an instant.. Just a shame to think of all the years he could of had, friends, kids etc cut short due to a moment of testosterone..

Certainly makes you take check..
Old 27-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Condolences to family and friends, and also condolences to the ambos who are confronted with the scene and the police who have to be the bearer of bad news.

Life can be turned around or stopped completely in an instant.. Just a shame to think of all the years he could of had, friends, kids etc cut short due to a moment of testosterone..

Certainly makes you take check..
Agreed

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #16
Chopped
as in chopped

Condolences to all involved. Very tragic.
Old 27-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
My intent is just to bring it into the minds of our younger members (and the young at heart), so that maybe when they have a bit of fun, they will do it in a way that will reduce the risk without reducing the fun.
Thanks gecko your intent is noted.
Im 17 now, havent done any burnouts or the like at all and ive just bought me a 4wd so i can have my fun without running a huge risk.

I beleive we are in need of skidpans and such so people can let loose legally in a controlled environment... a bit OT but...

My sincere condolences to all those effected.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

More here
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #19
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of days on and the reality of the situation is really sinking in.The kids have all been rallying together and supporting all involved which is great to see.Going to be a very sad day when they lay this young man to rest.So to all the young out there,just remember that good choices need to be made at all times while out and about,and that is not just behind the wheel.God bless.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
tyson_8238
BA diff bushes

I was part of the main crew that handled this one GeckoGT I was the last one to give the poor bloke compressions before the ambos decided to terminate