Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
SprintFg
Banned

Default Fuel economy standard

I find it odd how fuel economy is measured differently in each car and then compared against each other.

I think reasonable pace needs to be factored in.

For instance they should measure according to an acceleration standard as many people would drive the car in day to day conditions.

Why not measure 0-100km/h runs at 10 seconds which is moderate pace. In this scenario, a xr6t would be going at half throttle easy, whereas a Mitsubishi micra would be going at full throttle.

There is no point calling out a car as 6l/100km if you need to accelerate at 0-100 in 25 seconds pace. Barely keeping with traffic.

I once many years ago drove a Holden Barina to QLD from Canberra. It was revving at 4000rpm most of the way and cost a fair bit, probably double what we thought. A falcon would have been cruising at 1700rpm at the same pace and probably just as fuel efficient (and way more comfortable)

So I think that there should be a relative pace or rate of acceleration to be factored when measuring fuel economy standards. Not driven at ridiculous ways to just get the best number.
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fuel economy standard

Sort of like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04MXepYiBs
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

The numbers are good when you think about it...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think part of the fuel economy standard is a run at 120kmh. The green Eco Transit Ford released a few years ago was limited to 110kmh purely to get a better fuel economy rating.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing is everyone drives different , and everyone drives in different conditions .
Perhaps they should have two sets figures ,

One set of figures being obtained from the vehicle being caned to within an inch of its life , IE: the worst possible consumption .

And the grandpa figures , fuel consumption being the absolute best anyone can get while driving for fuel efficiency.

and then state .................. your cars fuel consumption depending on conditions and driving style will be between Y and X .

Your XR6 Turbo/miami V8 fuel consumption will vary from 7 litres per hundred k`s to 28 litres per hundred k`s .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #6
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Ahh...This thread brings back memories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXz...ature=youtu.be
Old 15-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

all fuel economy figures are derived exactly the same way. Are they representative? probably not, but they do allow you to compare relative performance.

in the wake of the VW scandal FE test regimes are changing. There is now a real emphasis on Real World economy and emissions that are costing car companies millions to purchase new testing machines, but should at least generate numbers closer to what customers will see on a day to day basis.

having said all that - I don't hang around, and my AC is on all year around, and practically every car I've had has come out pretty close to the sticker value. The only two notable exceptions recently have been the Kuga and the Everest which are both pretty heavy cars, so I imagine it is my heavy acceleration that is to blame
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post