Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
coolozzieguy

Default Car sold as 'new' now showing signs of paint\body repair

Hi All,

Sorry for the long post, but this is the smallest I could condense it down to whilst covering needed info.

I need some advice please, it would be much appreciated.

I purchased a brand new (NOT a demo) WZ Fiesta ST in March last year (2015). It is an October 2014 build, and is Spirit Blue.

The car is leased through salary packaging, and for five years, so I have about 3.5 years left.

However, in the last few weeks or so, I have noticed some flaws in the paint. I noticed this whilst polishing\waxing the car. I have waxed the car twice before this, but not seen the flaws. Having done car restoration work with friends, etc on one of my own previous cars, and assisting others with theirs, I consider myself to have a medium-ish knowledge of car repair and paint maintenance. I can post pictures if people wish but they don't look like they do in real life, the camera can't always see the issues depending on the light situation, etc. There are five flaws that I have discovered, other than the fact that the LHS of the car now seems a slightly lighter and 'thinner' shade of blue compared to the right. These are:

1: On the LHS rear quarter panel, where the paint meets (poorly) the quarter window, you can easily make out the clear doesn't go all the way to the edge of the colour. Also, pinhead\pitting type defects are visible along the edge area.

2: Keeping on the LHS rear quarter, right where the 'Hofmeister Kink' part of the C Pillar is. In this location, you can see a blend\feathered section appearing out of the paint, also with pinhead\pitting spots appearing.

3: On the passenger door, from one end to the other, on the lowest part below the 'crease' down towards the edge of the door (an area about 1in tall), there is what appears to be clear overspray. This has created a rough feeling area, all the way along, that is turning a slight milky\cloudy colour.

4: Also on the passenger door, at the edge of the door skin towards the B Pillar end, there is what appears to be a run that was half-heartedly wet rubbed, and is also showing some white dots.

5: Again on the passenger door, towards the hinge end right at the bottom corner, there is a clear 'drip' that is hardened clear, that solidified into what I thought was a water drop when I first washed it. I was happy to live with this as it was too minor to worry about, and it almost looked like a robotic type error, but not combined with the other issues I have since found, listed above.

I took the car to a local panel beater (who also restores older\classic cars as well) across the road from my dad's business. He works mainly on his own and has about 20 years’ experience working from small restoration type panel shops to the big production line style 'crash repairers'. He looked over the car and agreed with my findings, plus also found some tape residue on the inner of the LHS door skin and B-Pillar that I missed. He said it didn't appear to have been in a crash as such, but agreed the LHS of the car had been repaired and resprayed. He was gobsmacked when I told him this was sold to me as 'new' car, not a demo.

Some purchasing background:

When I ordered the car, I ordered what I was told was 'Performance Blue', as this was what was on the website. However, I was called by the salesman who said this was a discontinued colour, and the new colour was 'Spirit Blue'. I was fine with this, but wanted to confirm the colour myself, as I was advised it was slightly lighter. I drove to their 'PD Warehouse' and briefly sighted the car with the salesman, and agreed the colour was ok. I went home, after getting told the car would be ready for me to collect 'early next week', but 'by Tuesday'.

Thursday that next week, I call the salesman, who advised me "it is still getting prepared, and we are pretty busy at the moment," which they genuinely appeared to be (this dealer is also a Hyundai dealer, and seem to sell nothing but Rangers and i30s) "it will be ready Monday". So I let it slide.

Wednesday the week after arrives, and I still haven't got a call or email. I call in the afternoon, and after the countless people who I got shuffled to and fro with, I eventually made it to the salesman. He somewhat abruptly told me words to the effect of "I told you we were still preparing it, it will be ready next Thursday". I bit my tongue, and then asked "So why does it take three weeks to PD a car you already have?" I was then told words to the effect of "Thats how long it takes, if you were in a rush for a car you should of ordered one of the i30s I spoke to you about" (upon first meet, he tried to sell me an i30, saying they had 'good deals on them', even though I and the lease company made it clear beforehand I wanted a Fiesta ST) "it will be ready next Thursday".

The following Friday, (after not hearing anything on Thursday, of course) I had to be home in the morning before work as I was getting a tree trimmed. I got a call just as they were finishing the tree (about 10:30am) from the salesman, saying words to the effect of "The car is ready for you, please come and get it". I replied "I need to speak to my boss, as we are busy at work and it is hard for me to get away during the day (it was hard enough getting the morning for the tree) so can I come by about 3:30- 4-ish"? He replied with "I am leaving early today, about 1:30-2pm" (it was the Friday before a long weekend). I said "Thats ok, I don't mind dealing with someone else if you need to leave earl-" and he cut me off with "You will deal with me, I am the one dealing with your lease company, if you want your car today you'll be here before 1pm, otherwise you won't be picking it up until Tuesday". I replied with a slightly surprised 'ok fine', drove to work, apologised to the boss, and got one of my workmates to drop me off at the dealer. As we left for the dealer, the rain started to pour down.

My workmate dropped me off at their PD warehouse, and I met the salesman. We went to the car, which was parked in a slightly dark-ish corner near the exit door, and whilst spotless, was quite wet (maybe from the rain). The salesman showed me into the car, showed me how to start it, and showed me the usual "This is the lights, indicators, wipers," etc. At this point I cycled through the trip computer, to the Odo, which showed 84Km. I asked the salesman why it was so high for a new car. He ummed and ahhed a bit, replied with "We had to purchase it from another dealer, that’s why it has these kays on it". This made me a little wary after all that happened over the past three weeks, so I tried my best to look over the car for flaws. However, as it was inside a large open and dimly lit shed, and very wet, it wasn't easy. I also looked over the interior, which was fine. We then finished the paperwork, shook hands and I drove off into the bucketing rain back to work. The whole handover process was otherwise smooth and fuss free.

The advice I need is that, as mentioned, the car was purchased new. I am not blaming the salesman, the dealer, the dealer they purchased it from, etc. I am simply asking (after all the above) what would be the best way to approach the dealer\salesman over the issue? I want to keep everything in email form for paper trail purposes, but don't want to get them offside with me before we even start going through the issue. The salesman was never shouty, angry or abusive, but was somewhat passive-aggressive for much of the buying experience. I was even charged a $19 'vehicle inspection fee' which he never told me about, but I did see weeks later on the invoice sent to the salary packaging company. I basically was going to write a gently worded email, stating what I have found, and attaching pictures. I can even sign all the stat-`decs, in all the gin-joints in all the world to say it hasn't been crashed by me, and even get my insurer to do the similar. To me the initial email contact is not unreasonable; however I have seen this dealer mentioned in a few bad cases here on FF where the customer seems to have been treated quite poorly when they want to raise issues their vehicles have. I won't name the dealer, but their massive PD warehouse is near Braeside, which is across the road from their main holding yard, jam packed even now with the aforementioned Rangers and i30s. Maybe I should have just purchased the boring-as, juice box on wheels (Crazy Dazz ), instead of the otherwise excellent can of Red Bull I have now...
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: Car sold as 'new' now showing signs of paint\body repair

Having recently gone through a similar experience where I purchased a car and later discovered it had had some accident damage repaired, I can tell you that you are wasting your time.

Through the experience I also learned that a considerable amount of new cars are damaged in transit and/or in the yard and are repaired without anyone knowing any better. As long as a repair is to standard, the seller is under no obligation to disclose the repair.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me, it sounds like the salesman was a *****. He is not someone I'd want to deal with.

If you don't want to get them offside, you may need to wear the cost of fixing it. From the way you describe your interaction with the salesman, it sounds like he would quite likely deny everything. After all, you inspected it before picking it up.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

As above. Leave it alone.

Lots of aggravation for you for no outcome. What do you expect to achieve?

It's a 2014 build that you have owned for over a year. They won't even remember it and care even less. You want to bring something to their attention that you've only noticed now. If those imperfections bother you attend to them.

Move on.

Old 13-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Having recently gone through a similar experience where I purchased a car and later discovered it had had some accident damage repaired, I can tell you that you are wasting your time.
Do you mind telling how I am wasting my time? Not trying to be difficult, but are you able to elaborate a bit more with your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
As long as a repair is to standard, the seller is under no obligation to disclose the repair.
See, the repair isn't to standard. After approx. 17-18 months, the paint has slowly deteriorated since new. Now, my car is leased, and the lease company informed me many times before signing on the dotted line that if the car is damaged in any way, I have to inform them, even if it is handled by insurance, as it is essentially their asset. This car has 'pre-purchase' damage that I bet they were not informed of by the dealer when they handed over the $26k to purchase it to lease it back to me. Their asset is now worth less come sale time, which hey, if lease companies are not in the business to make money, that's no skin off my nose. I will be informing them of course, but after trying to seek some advice from people more knowledgeable than me here. I have asked around people I associate with, and get different opinions from every one. Most of them are not car people with links to industry though. Not trying to be a smart alec, just saying it how it is.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 13-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
...After all, you inspected it before picking it up.
Yes, I did inspect it, as would most people. I also inspected the engine too, and it seemed it fine working order. If it threw a rod tomorrow because it wasn't repaired or assembled properly, would I have no recourse to get it repaired\replaced to good working order, under warranty, simply because I agreed it was in said good working order then left the dealership?

Again I'm not trying to be a smart alec, just wanting to hear people's experiences and if\how they dealt with the situation. I could go in all guns blazing to the dealer, but as they claim they purchased the car from another dealer, they themselves may have not been aware of the damage...
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 13-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Given it is a "new" car, isn't/wouldn't the car still be covered under Ford's 5 year paint warranty?

If so, then I would seriously considering pursuing it from this angle, ie not discuss anything about repair work being done, just that you've noticed that the paint is flawed.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolozzieguy View Post
Yes, I did inspect it, as would most people. I also inspected the engine too, and it seemed it fine working order. If it threw a rod tomorrow because it wasn't repaired or assembled properly, would I have no recourse to get it repaired\replaced to good working order, under warranty, simply because I agreed it was in said good working order then left the dealership?
Yes, of course you would have recourse to get it fixed under warranty.

I didn't say that you don't have a leg to stand on. What I said was that based on your description of your dealings with the salesperson, and your express wish to not get them offside, you may need to wear the cost.

I can only hope that their service and warranty department has better customer service skills than the salesperson.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
What do you expect to achieve?
What do I expect to achieve? Ummmm..... that when I purchase something that it can be repaired under warranty if a failure of some sort occurs.

I purchased a Westinghouse upright freezer about three years ago. It was purchased new. Upon delivery, it had a ding in the door. I approached the retailer where I purchased it from. They advised me that, as it was under the warranty period, they could source a new unit and deliver it for me. They did however have to order this freezer from another store as the warehouse was empty and they don't normally stock that model I purchased. They said it could take 3-4 weeks for a new whole freezer to arrive. They said it was my choice to wait for a new freezer, or log a job myself (or they could do it) with Westinghouse for just the door, as that may be faster. I thanked them for their time, for treating me well, and advised them I would speak to Westinghouse myself as this would probably be faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
It's a 2014 build that you have owned for over a year. They won't even remember it and care even less. You want to bring something to their attention that you've only noticed now.
Technically as the car is still covered by a three year, 100,00km warranty (before I extended it to 5 years) I suppose I can take it to any Ford Dealer and start the process of repair. If I moved interstate the dealer closest to me would probably have to attend to it. But as the dealer I purchased it from is not too far away, I would rather take it back to them than burden a good dealer closer to my work\home who has so far treated me quite well for the service work on the same car (Freeway Ford).
I have no way of proving who or where what appear to be 'repairs' have been done. They may have even been done outside Australia, before the car made it to the boat. Are paint defects that were not caused by the owner not covered by warranty?
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 13-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #10
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having read through your posts, I would suggest if you believe you have a genuine claim then maybe you should seek legal advice as to where you stand. If you write a "polite" letter to the dealer, you will no doubt get fobbed off as it is clear you have had the car for over a year and said nothing to date. On a different note, if you had been put off on a number of occasions about your "delivery" date, I'm afraid I wouldn't have been so polite and not wanted to make a fuss. If the dealer states it was to be ready by a certain date, then that's when I expect to pick it up. Sounds to me like you are prepared to be taken advantage of all for the sake of not making a scene. Sometimes you have to stand your ground and not put up with crap. I find a very quiet, determined attitude gets the best result rather than kicking and screaming.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #11
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I can only hope that their service and warranty department has better customer service skills than the salesperson.
Unfortunately they don't, as for the 3000 'free check' type service, I asked to have the oil replaced, and informed them that I was happy to pay the going rate for the oil, filter and labor. I was quoted a price. Upon collecting the car, I was handed a bill for a 15,000km 'Type A' service. I informed the person that this was the free 3k service, and I was only supposed to be charged for the oil, filter and labor for just the oil change. This was written on a piece of paper that was stapled to my job card. This piece of paper seemed to have 'gone missing' when I got the bill and saw the job card. I was promptly told words to the effect of 'This isn't how we operate around here, this is final amount'.

So I paid it, didn't kick up a fuss (as it was a Friday arvo and I had a big day at work) and decided from that moment I would take my rivers-of-gold dealer servicing elsewhere from then on. Freeway Ford now get that money, and so far have been excellent to deal with. They even charged me less for my 15K service than what they quoted, the car was ready when they said it would be, and they were happy for me to supply my own oil. They offered to drop me off and pick me up from work for free (I work locally to them, but my boss did that for me). A pleasant experience.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 13-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Sounds to me like you are prepared to be taken advantage of all for the sake of not making a scene.
Quite the contrary.

That is one thing I do not stand for, is getting taken advantage of. I work as an IT technician at a school, and my boss says I am too 'up front' with people who rip into me when they blame me for not knowing how to copy and paste a file. We don't train and\or teach people, but we still cop it from teachers.
Quote:
it is clear you have had the car for over a year and said nothing to date.
For those who keep saying 'you have had it for over a year, why didn't you say anything earlier\why didn't you let them know earlier\why did you do nothing earlier... I would have, had the flaws been visible before hand. I mentioned I have polished\waxed the car a couple of times before. I have looked at the paint quite close many times before, on a clean and dry car. All of these flaws have just started to show themselves (except the solid 'drip' of clear, as mentioned above, which I was prepared to live with, as to remove door, door card and associated and respray and repair the door and have potential rattles and\or other issues for a drip seemed not worth it). Some flaws take years to show up. These have just started, after only 17-odd months.
Quote:
I find a very quiet, determined attitude gets the best result
Precisely. Ive worked in retail, and now work in IT in a school which is a combination of technical and service industry. People who come to us all guns blazing, yelling and screaming at us for problems that we either have no control over or are not our fault get less priority if instructed by our boss, and cause everyone unneeded grief.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 13-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #13
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Given it is a "new" car, isn't/wouldn't the car still be covered under Ford's 5 year paint warranty?

If so, then I would seriously considering pursuing it from this angle, ie not discuss anything about repair work being done, just that you've noticed that the paint is flawed.
I grabbed the warranty book out of my car before I saw this. They do have a 5 year paint warranty.

As mentioned above, the car has only just now started to show flaws. I have not known about the issue, and left it for over a year because of 'not wanting to cause a fuss'. I'm not lying to them if I say it has only appeared now. I have looked after the car and the paint better than 90% of people seem to these days. It gets washed fortnightly, and gets polished\waxed no more than sixth monthly.

You may be onto something, and this sounds like a good angle to take. Thanks for the effort.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand why you are so concerned about making a fuss?
No offence, but its people like you who convince these ******* that they can get away with the **** they pull.
Because you pay for a service you didn't order (and undoubtedly didn't receive) they continue their fraudulent practice. If there were more grumpy old farts like me, the world would be a much better place.

So here's the rub: Writing a nice polite letter will get you 3/5's of SFA. You might get a phone-call, they might even offer to inspect the car for you, stroke their beards, etc, before very nicely telling you there's nothing they can do.

Don't bother with a "letter," although I agree with keeping everything in writing.
Simply inform them that your paintwork is defective and you want it fixed under warranty.
Don't elaborate or accuse them of damaging and repairing your car. Let them blame Ford.
If they try to demure, warn them that if they don't fix it under warranty, to your satisfaction, you will take the matter to Ford and consumer affairs.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The red flag was the salesman's behavior and 3 weeks PD on the premises. No way.
Old 13-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My point wasn't that you said nothing for over a year, the issue will be when the dealer says,"you've had the car for over a year, why didn't you say something earlier?" You then will have to go into defence mode and justify its nothing you have done, etc, etc.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post

This.

As dodgy as the dealer sounds, you've got bugger all chance of the dealer coming to the party about previous repair work if you inspected the car at delivery and have had ownership for over a year now. Your best bet would be to just tell the dealer (any dealer for that matter) that the paint is flawed and to not mention any repair work. Not worth that hassle IMO.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #18
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolozzieguy View Post
Do you mind telling how I am wasting my time? Not trying to be difficult, but are you able to elaborate a bit more with your experience?
Mate, I feel your pain.
Don't mean to sound blunt, but what do you think the first thing they'll say is after a year and a half? They'll say that you've had an accident since you brought it and had it fixed yourself. I guarantee you'll be greeted with blank stares.

My experience was slightly different, as I put a deposit on a car and discovered the accident repairs before making the full payment. I walked away from the vehicle.

As someone else has suggested, you may be better off approaching this as a warranty claim with the dealer. Let them try to explain the damage if it comes up.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #19
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Some points to try and help...

First thing you need to do is try and establish where the paint repair was carried out, this will determine who really needs to step up to help you or who you need to chase.

Call the Ford CRC 13 Ford, give them your details and ask if they can find out if there was any in plant paint repairs (it may take a little while to get this info from overseas). If yes then I am sure Ford will assist. If no then you would have to presume it was done in the dealership (makes sense if it took so long to PD car, remember dealers want to get your $$$ as soon as possible, so they will not delay unless there is a problem). Any paint defect should have been noted at PD if not Ford assume the vehicle is ok. Defects like this that occur after the fact would not be deemed in warranty unless it was proven to be done in plant, especially if you can see tape lines. You can try and ask Ford CRC to get a Ford Representative out to inspect your faults and they may be able to get the truth from the dealer to see if it was done in PD?

If there was any incident in the dealer premises, there would have to be records on repair orders for the panel shop etc as payment to the panel shop etc would be recorded against this vehicle. Not that you would see any of these.

Now if you need to approach the dealer, I would now go to the Dealer Principal (DP) since you have already tried Sales Managers etc. Tell him/her and or show the concerns. If they are not willing to help, take the next step and see Department of Fair Trading/VCAT. If they are hiding this paper work you can supina these documents if it goes to tribunal.

Maybe a back door to finding your answer, try and approach one of the people in PD discretly (or have some one do it for you) and see what panel shop they use for their repairs. Then go to that panel shop and see if they have any records of fixing your vehicle.

You really need to establish where the paint repair was carried out before you can proceed.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #20
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Well that sounds like a load of unmitigated bull's dung. I'd be taking it further if you have five years of paint warranty, sure as poop isn't going to get any better and really catching it now would be cheaper for Ford.

BTW I also have a Fiesta ST in Performance Blue, mine is a 2016 build and I picked it up two weeks ago. It also says Spirit Blue in the paperwork (and 'White' on one form ) BUT I did question this and it's because the paint code within the Ford system is 'Spirit Blue', and this is the what the colour is know by in Europe. I think the 'Performance Blue' is a Ford Australia thing.

I will put a caveat in here in that I have nfi if someone has peed in my ear or not, but it sounded feasible to me and a guy at work with a 2013 ST, also in Spirit/Performance Blue said the same thing (unprompted).
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #21
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you want them to do about it? That is the first thing they will ask. Do you want them to respray it? Would you be happy with that?
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Good luck with that... They will deny they did anything to it until the cows come home, and if they did source it from another dealer they may be telling the truth (it may have been damaged by the other dealer). Not to mention you have had posession of it for 14 months. As for the lease company they won't give a **** about some artificial paint flaws that you can only see in certain light...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 03:28 AM   #23
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

First up this is a criticism, your first post indicates you let the salesman walk all over you during the purchasing and delivery phase which is something I would never have allowed as it’s my money on the line and hopefully this doesn’t mean they see you as an easy push over.

Secondly as others have mentioned vehicles are often damaged and repaired during the pre-delivery stage and as long as they are repaired to an acceptable standard then you have no real recourse unless a pristine undamaged unrepaired car was requested in your sales contract.

If in your case the repair is now showing signs of failure which you don’t believe it is an acceptable standard and you get no satisfaction from the dealer when you raise the issue as a warranty claim then contact the manufacturer and ask for a company representative to inspect the vehicle.

Make sure all your discussions from the dealership onwards is confirmed in writing, email is a great way to record what is being said.

If the company doesn’t agree with you then your last option is to seek advice from a lawyer that specialises in consumer law, there a many knowledgeable people on this forum but at the end of the day they are not the ones that will go into bat for you.

I wish you luck.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #24
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

A lot of hate for dealerships here....they aren't all bad

Case in point:

Holden Captiva 2013 model purchase date

Went in to Dealer No 2 for a warranty repair on the tailgate and a 15000km service.

Customer informs Dealer No 2 that this was already looked at by Dealer No 1 at the 3000km complimentary inspection and again as a warranty issue shortly before being presented to Dealer No 2.

Tailgate has clearly been repainted. Evidence was there and clear as the night sky.

Informed customer. Customer denied that the vehicle was involved in any accident in their ownership.

Dealer No 1 (selling dealer) denied that the damage/repair happened in their dealership.

Case escalated to Holden District Service Manager.

Was discovered that the damage happened before the car was delivered to the dealership and that the car was then designated as a Holden company car to be sold at auction.

Sadly this didn't happen and it went to a dealership as stock.

Result. The customer was given a new Holden Captiva (exact same specification)

I am not saying that this will happen with you. But just letting you know that not all car dealerships are bad.

What you have working against you is the passage of time.

This customer had raised the issue at 3000km, again as a separate warranty issue at around 10000kms and again at the 15000km service. So clearly the issue with the tailgate was prevalent at the 3000km.

Sadly your case is a little different!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Well that sounds like a load of unmitigated bull's dung. I'd be taking it further if you have five years of paint warranty, sure as poop isn't going to get any better and really catching it now would be cheaper for Ford.

BTW I also have a Fiesta ST in Performance Blue, mine is a 2016 build and I picked it up two weeks ago. It also says Spirit Blue in the paperwork (and 'White' on one form ) BUT I did question this and it's because the paint code within the Ford system is 'Spirit Blue', and this is the what the colour is know by in Europe. I think the 'Performance Blue' is a Ford Australia thing.

I will put a caveat in here in that I have nfi if someone has peed in my ear or not, but it sounded feasible to me and a guy at work with a 2013 ST, also in Spirit/Performance Blue said the same thing (unprompted).
Performance blue is a euro thing it was changed to spirit blue when the mk3 ST and fiesta ST was released there is a slight difference in the 2. Performance blue was on the mk2 ST and ST150 aswell along with Focus RS.
Along with Colorado red it was changed to race red but iirc it's the same colour.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #26
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you planning on buying it when the lease is up, if no then just forget it and move on.

If yes then chase it as a paint defect through warranty but nothing more.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #27
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TIP: Nobody will notice these minor flaws when you trade it, in a few years. remember its just a fiesta too.
You could pursue them under the paint warranty, but I've seen somebody do this before on the BA pursuit ute.
But his paint was worse. three times it went back to get painted before he finally was satisfied. IMO its just not worth it.
the major difference he plans on keeping his car for a long time.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #28
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
First up this is a criticism, your first post indicates you let the salesman walk all over you during the purchasing and delivery phase which is something I would never have allowed as it’s my money on the line and hopefully this doesn’t mean they see you as an easy push over.
Hi Express. As mentioned I have been 'reprimanded' by my boss (and his bosses too) about how I am too forthright with people. 'MeanED' has been a good friend of mine for about 28 of my 32 years, and 'RepSpec' is my younger brother, they can confirm I am not some 'meek pushover' and like to stand my ground. But when standing your ground, you need to keep a cool head. Again, I am not 'blaming' anyone in the chain of selling dealer, dealer or salesman. When I got the 'how was your buying experience' survey from Ford, I did mention the delays in the comments section, and I didn't give glowing 'radio button' selections for the experience. Do you think I heard back from someone from Ford about my far from ideal 'buying experience'?
Quote:
...undamaged unrepaired car was requested in your sales contract.
When buying new I was unaware that I would have to do this, but I will take the advice and do it next time. Seems like a good idea as when the salesman sees it, they may think twice about the future pain it could cause them\the dealership.
Quote:
Make sure all your discussions from the dealership onwards is confirmed in writing, email is a great way to record what is being said.
And
Quote:
then contact the manufacturer and ask for a company representative to inspect the vehicle.
Both seem like good ideas. Obviously the email chain is a great start, but the second is an option to take as well.
Quote:
I wish you luck
Thankyou.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.

Old 14-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are concerned about it report to the leasing company that their is issues with the paint and let them deal with it as it is technically still their car , they have more power behind them than you do and can kick up a bigger fuss.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #30
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
A lot of hate for dealerships here....they aren't all bad

Case in point:

Holden Captiva 2013 model purchase date

Went in to Dealer No 2 for a warranty repair on the tailgate and a 15000km service.

Customer informs Dealer No 2 that this was already looked at by Dealer No 1 at the 3000km complimentary inspection and again as a warranty issue shortly before being presented to Dealer No 2.

Tailgate has clearly been repainted. Evidence was there and clear as the night sky.

Informed customer. Customer denied that the vehicle was involved in any accident in their ownership.

Dealer No 1 (selling dealer) denied that the damage/repair happened in their dealership.

Case escalated to Holden District Service Manager.

Was discovered that the damage happened before the car was delivered to the dealership and that the car was then designated as a Holden company car to be sold at auction.

Sadly this didn't happen and it went to a dealership as stock.

Result. The customer was given a new Holden Captiva (exact same specification)

I am not saying that this will happen with you. But just letting you know that not all car dealerships are bad.

What you have working against you is the passage of time.

This customer had raised the issue at 3000km, again as a separate warranty issue at around 10000kms and again at the 15000km service. So clearly the issue with the tailgate was prevalent at the 3000km.

Sadly your case is a little different!
Interesting story, yes all dealers are not bad. As I have mentioned, I am not blaming anyone, who knows how the flaws came about, just seeking advice on what to do next. But yes, I am not shouting at the dealer for a new car, etc.

Very interesting story though, as I always wondered how my card ended up with 84Km for 'new'. But yes, with the passage of time this case may be more difficult, but it is under warranty, and the flaws have only now started to show themselves. I have seen cars where bog has been put in a panel and sprayed to look good for 7-8 years, especially on a well maintained car. I have also seen bog and spray jobs that have stood out like DB after only 12 months, cracked paint and all.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

Enough Said.