Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default W.a Dpi

I was reading through the ls1 forum when i came across this . Not good at all

Vehicle Safety and Standard’s Information Bulletin Changes to Emission Testing of Light Vehicles in WA (April 2009)
The purpose of this bulletin is to inform you about changes in testing requirements to assess compliance with emission standards. Background The Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Regulations 2002 specify the in-service requirements for vehicle standards in WA, including maximum emissions levels. These standards refer to the Australian Design Rules (ADRs), which are the national standards applying to vehicles at the time of manufacture and are administered by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government.

Australian emission standards for vehicles are generally based on European regulations, with acceptance of selected US and Japanese standards. In recent years Australia has been improving its emissions standards in line with more recently adopted European standards. New vehicles are much "cleaner" than they were a decade ago.
Testing In WA

Engine modifications may substantially affect emissions, particularly the addition of turbochargers and superchargers. Vehicles conversions from petrol and diesel to dual fuel, LPG or NG, or certain imported vehicles may also require testing in some cases. However, the lack of practical options for in-service testing of vehicle emissions has been an impediment to the Department for Planning and Infrastructure’s ability to ensure that the WA community is able to benefit from the improvements to the standards applying to new vehicles.
Although there is at least one company in WA capable of performing full ADR emission testing regime, these tests are expensive ($3000 or more per test). Authorities throughout Australia agree that in most cases it is unreasonable to expect that such expensive testing be required when assessing modified vehicles or imports. As a result, some jurisdictions have instead specified an IM240 test (for petrol or LPG powered vehicles) or a DT80 test (for diesel). These are abbreviated tests which approximate the ADR test regime but are simpler and cheaper to perform.
Until recently, WA needed to rely on 5-gas analyser tests, as IM240 and DT80 test facilities were not available in this State. However, with the recent establishment of at least one IM240 test facility and the proposed opening of a DT80 test facility in the near future, WA will be able to specify testing procedures that are nationally accepted as a reasonable approximation to the ADR testing requirements used for new vehicles. It is intended to gradually "phase in" the new testing requirements, beginning with the more critical applications, such as turbocharger or supercharger fitment, and progress to other applications over time.

IB-124A (Mar 09) Application date Apr 09 page 1 of 2 IB-124A IB-124A (Mar 09) Application date Apr 09 page 2 of 2
Policy

DPI Vehicle Examiners will require the applicant to provide evidence that an IM240 test has been performed on the vehicle and that the test results have been approved by DPI Vehicle Safety Standards as indicating that the vehicle meets appropriate emission standards for its type and year of manufacture. It is planned to implement this policy over time, using a phased approach as follows:
The following applications will require an IM240 test after 20 April 2009: o Engines modified by the fitment of a supercharger or turbocharger
o Individually constructed vehicles (ICVs)
o Engines that have been significantly modified to enhance performance (eg: with the fitment of a high performance camshaft)
o When there is evidence of reprogramming of the electronic control unit (ECU, the engine management computer), or a chip swap.

The following applications will require an IM240 test from 1 Aug 2009:
o CNG and LPG conversions on vehicles manufactured after 2002 where the owner cannot supply evidence of certification testing (that is the kit installers will need to request copies of test reports from the kit distributors and pass these onto their clients to show the vehicle examiner).
o Major modifications to the exhaust systems - where the catalytic converter has been replaced with one not OEM or where the operation of the catalytic converter has been affected by aftermarket modifications (such as extractors).

In addition, the following applications require an IM240 test from 1 December 2009:
o Newly imported vehicles manufactured prior to 1989.

Vehicle Examiners will require the applicant to provide a bone fide IM240 test report for the vehicle, along with all pertinent checklists required from the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (VSB14).
See http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx.
In the case of major engine modifications and ICVs, a covering letter from Vehicle Safety and Standards shall also be provided, verifying that the vehicle has met the pertinent emission standards.

A vehicle which had a CNG/LPG conversion, a catalytic converter replacement, or is pre-1989 and has been imported,

will not require a letter from Vehicle Safety and Standards if the report states that vehicle has met the pertinent emission standards.

In some circumstances, Vehicle Safety and Standards may rule that an IM240 test is not necessary for the particular vehicle (e.g. an ICV that uses latest-model OEM engine and exhaust equipment, configured exactly as per the original manufacturer's specifications.) If this is the case, Vehicle Safety and Standards will provide the applicant with a signed letter to this effect. This letter must be provided to the Vehicle Examiner at the time of the examination.

Vehicle owners who attempt to license their vehicle without approved test reports will be directed to the Vehicle Safety and Standards Section. The above policy will be closely monitored over a 12 month period and adjustments will be made to address any unforeseen difficulties.

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn...talk about getting strict. that's unreal...

good for the environment tho, will have to see if the next step is annual vehicle inspections and/or emissions testing annually...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

The rot has started suprisingly from our brothers in WA and not in Victoria.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

What do guys like us do, i mean my car is off its guts. I run a 1050 dominator, no pcv valve and a 3.5inch system... il be goneski's!
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
The above policy will be closely monitored over a 12 month period and adjustments will be made to address any unforeseen difficulties.
For their sake I hope all the WA car enthusiasts lay low for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
The rot has started suprisingly from our brothers in WA and not in Victoria.
Until recently, WA needed to rely on 5-gas analyser tests, as IM240 and DT80 test facilities were not available in this State. However, with the recent establishment of at least one IM240 test facility and the proposed opening of a DT80 test facility in the near future,

From what I understand this Bulletin talks about IM240 and DT80 now becoming available to WA, which other states already have??
Old 02-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I woder how long till this is heavily enforced in all states , $700 min first test if you fail 3k for the next test whats to stop a cop sending you there for the fun of it . Even if you have a adr compliant slip they can slap a yellow sticker on you till you can prove it still is .

This has well an truly the end for modified cars in W.A unless you are rolling in money .
Just imagine buying a catback exhaust , Mr plod then hears it sends you for a test so $700 it fails you put the stock back on retest 3k later . There 3.7k plus cost of the
catback. An then pray to god your stock car passes as well .

Last edited by snappy84; 02-07-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
toughxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I''m trying to register my rebuilt XC I'll let you know I have to go get a IM240.... wont be happy if the $$ are as mentioned above... absolutely ridicules...
toughxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Falcman, I meant that the rot started in WA. Having the testing facilities to target suspect motor vehicles after other states is not what I meant by the term rot
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a possible alternative ....... get club rego drive as is on weekends and get a cheepie daily driver, that still suks though :
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
What do guys like us do, i mean my car is off its guts. I run a 1050 dominator, no pcv valve and a 3.5inch system... il be goneski's!
Doesn't this mean that yours would be OK? Or am I reading it wrong ......

A vehicle which had a CNG/LPG conversion, a catalytic converter replacement, or is pre-1989 and has been imported,

will not require a letter from Vehicle Safety and Standards if the report states that vehicle has met the pertinent emission standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
good for the environment tho,
Yeah agree ... the fact they can get a car that might contribute 0.000003% of green house gasses down to 0.000002%. The end does not justify the means .... but again .... atleast it looks like they care and will suck in the green vote. :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
toughxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got off the phone to KIC here in perth, obviously they have the monopoly as I havn't found anyone else who can perform the test..

$750 to think about it + $130 p/hr can take 3-5 hrs...

so ****ed off, disappointing if DPI has enforced these new tests but there is only one tester - not much for competitive pricing there...

I'd prefer to spend that $$ on alloy heads or something that might really give the emissions something to worry about..

Old 13-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
If your car is the one in your avatar your OK as it is a vehicle built/complianced before June 1974 had no emission compliance as a part of their certification.

Therefore you comply with your car as it was built. Early cars will be more valuable as street strip cars as it will be difficult to get a late model passed.

I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

Glad I kept the Fairlane....
Old 13-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
Gaz
Got Ghia?

ring the technical centre at DPI for answers...

KIC can get stuffed, someone will end up taking them to the point over those prices.. being an IM240 test, by definition of its name takes... wait for it, 240 seconds or 4 minutes.. a few hours my ****. knobs.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
toughxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
ring the technical centre at DPI for answers...

KIC can get stuffed, someone will end up taking them to the point over those prices.. being an IM240 test, by definition of its name takes... wait for it, 240 seconds or 4 minutes.. a few hours my ****. knobs.
I meant KEC obviously, yeah rang the Technical Department, and hopefully I can resolve it without a test, teh guy I was talking to seemed positive that I shouldn't be required to have one? will hopefully get an answer tomorrow. Will let you guys know...
Old 13-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

The main reason I'm not too worried about this: cameras won't be able to tell whether your car has been modified or not. I mean seriously, how often do you even see a cop these days?

Cheers

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Well.. about that "how often do you see a cop these days?"

I sorta kept almost walking into cop cars when I was in WA cause I walked out without looking. Yes it was foolish but the point is I kept finding them :P
Old 14-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughxc
Just got off the phone to KIC here in perth, obviously they have the monopoly as I havn't found anyone else who can perform the test..

$750 to think about it + $130 p/hr can take 3-5 hrs...

so ****ed off, disappointing if DPI has enforced these new tests but there is only one tester - not much for competitive pricing there...

I'd prefer to spend that $$ on alloy heads or something that might really give the emissions something to worry about..

Orbital engeering also do it but charge something stupid like 3 grand
Rude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #18
veqlargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
Well.. about that "how often do you see a cop these days?"

I sorta kept almost walking into cop cars when I was in WA cause I walked out without looking. Yes it was foolish but the point is I kept finding them :P
i see patrol cars nearly everyday.

anyway if these tests have been available in other states for a while i would like to know how much they cost over east.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

I booked my car in for headers and cat today and was talking to the shop owner about this. He was saying that KEC have the monopoly and are charging $3000 per test. He also said there's a legal challenge happening and it's being tied up in court, trying to get it thrown out before it even gets introduced.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Cheers,

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #20
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veqlargh
i see patrol cars nearly everyday.

anyway if these tests have been available in other states for a while i would like to know how much they cost over east.

nadda ,zip , zero, zilch
in nsw anyways so i read ,but apparently there is a few months waiting list
Old 28-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not that difficult to pass IM240 testing, the basics required are a stock exhaust system (preferably with Euro 3 spec cats placed in the correct position) and a good tune. N/A, turbocharged or S/C vehicle's shouldn't be too difficult too get passed.

The problem is the monopoly of IM240 testing facilities.