Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Default Insurance Company Hungry for money

Alright the story goes like this i was driving in December 08 in a 70kph zone leaving what i thought was to be an appropriate gap, now the lady in front slams on her brakes, and i jump on my brakes i was driving an old nissan now my car impacted hers leaving glass from my headlights in her rear bumper but apart from that there was no real damage.
she got out of the car and started blaming the whole accident on me and apparently i pushed her into the car infront which she has no witness for,
and i also heard a bang before i hit her,
i went to inspect the front damage on her car and there was a very minor ding in the front plastic bumper which could have been pushed back out by hand,
we exchanged details and her and myself made a personal agreement that i would pay half her premium even though i felt the accident was caused by her not slowing sooner and indicating around the stopped car (in a clearway)

now the insurance company calls me demading $2000 when myself and her had a personal agreement i would pay half her premium ($300) now at that point in time i have no job or no centrelink i explain this too them and they still demand $2000 and now the story has all of a sudden got a dog running across the road wich no one mentioned at th accident also no police report was filed,

any ideas on what i can do to prove the accident was not my fault or even just pay the money we agreed upon (half her insurance)
as i dont just have $2000 laying around. :togo:

Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazza255
Alright the story goes like this i was driving in December 08 in a 70kph zone leaving what i thought was to be an appropriate gap, now the lady in front slams on her brakes, and i jump on my brakes i was driving an old nissan now my car impacted hers leaving glass from my headlights in her rear bumper but apart from that there was no real damage.
she got out of the car and started blaming the whole accident on me and apparently i pushed her into the car infront which she has no witness for,
and i also heard a bang before i hit her,
i went to inspect the front damage on her car and there was a very minor ding in the front plastic bumper which could have been pushed back out by hand,
we exchanged details and her and myself made a personal agreement that i would pay half her premium even though i felt the accident was caused by her not slowing sooner and indicating around the stopped car (in a clearway)

now the insurance company calls me demading $2000 when myself and her had a personal agreement i would pay half her premium ($300) now at that point in time i have no job or no centrelink i explain this too them and they still demand $2000 and now the story has all of a sudden got a dog running across the road wich no one mentioned at th accident also no police report was filed,

any ideas on what i can do to prove the accident was not my fault or even just pay the money we agreed upon (half her insurance)

yep . GET A LOAN , and pay the insurance company . not only are you stupid . trying to convince us that it's her fault . but you didnt report it to the police . /or get witnesses . you think on centrelink payments you can take on an insurance company?
file bankrupcy . or get a loan . stop being silly .

i'm sorry buit thats the way i see it . OBVIUOSLY YOU WERE STUPID and didn't have insurance anyway . people that do this increase the insurance premiums that responsible people have to pay.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tell them all you can afford is $20 a week because you are unemployed. They basically have to accept that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

feel i need to add something here . this post can be taken as a personal attack #1 . i'm not implying your stupid . but i think the decisions you made which lead to this situation was foolish . thats all . take it as a lesson . i've been there and done that . it's a lesson that backfires on us . it cost me a bit finding out the hard way . apoligies for being hard . jsut accept it and pay it off mate . i dont think you have a case , and most of us have been there . if you do this and get it out of the way. it'll be over . if you dont , it will cause heartache to all concerned .
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fact is it can't be proven, if you hit someone in the rear youre automatically at fault, no contest...What i'm not sure about is who's responsible for the damage caused as a result of her car hitting the other guy via your shunt.

Forget the personal agreement about you paying half of whatever. She's obviously been to her insurer and had the damage assessed and $2k is the repair bill...Were you not insured at least for 3rd party damage?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As others have said, you have hit her from behind so you are in the wrong end of story. As for the damage to the front of her car, if you were insured then your insurer would fight it on the grounds that she didn't have her brakes applied properly. Sounds stupid, but that is the way they look at it.

But as you are uninsured : (can't believe that people still are) then you will have to wear it. That's the downside of not wanting to pay for even third party insurance. Maybe this might teach you the hard way.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
feel i need to add something here . this post can be taken as a personal attack #1 . i'm not implying your stupid . but i think the decisions you made which lead to this situation was foolish . thats all . take it as a lesson . i've been there and done that . it's a lesson that backfires on us . it cost me a bit finding out the hard way . apoligies for being hard . jsut accept it and pay it off mate . i dont think you have a case , and most of us have been there . if you do this and get it out of the way. it'll be over . if you dont , it will cause heartache to all concerned .

its funny that you say get a loan when im already paying one off
the point is that she and i made a personal agreement that i would pay only half of her premium. i agreed to that despite her slamming on her brakes with no probable cause,
im already broke paying off 2 loans (a mistake i made when i was 18) without having another headache to deal with
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
As others have said, you have hit her from behind so you are in the wrong end of story. As for the damage to the front of her car, if you were insured then your insurer would fight it on the grounds that she didn't have her brakes applied properly. Sounds stupid, but that is the way they look at it.

But as you are uninsured : (can't believe that people still are) then you will have to wear it. That's the downside of not wanting to pay for even third party insurance. Maybe this might teach you the hard way.
if you can afford rent, food, electricity, car bills,2 loans and insurance on a measly $300 per week then you would understand my situation
Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

ANYWAYS im over it ill just pay for her mistake and put myself in debt even more
Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Third party fire & theft is available for around $25 per month, and most insurers offer pay by month.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

just got AAMI third party property damage $100 p/month :
Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
ANYWAYS im over it ill just pay for her mistake and put myself in debt even more
if you want to discuss a little bit of honest rationale . i'mhappy to talk by PM . I can offer a little opinion on how to stop falling into the trap. you need a little advice off parents or role model . thats all . you can turn it round in your favour , but you have to pay off your debts. facing responsibility will always payoff later , and stop you getting into this later . chin up mate . it's not all bad . some people work 3 jobs and struggle paying off million $$ debts . now re look at your situation . you are so lucky that car wasnt a porsche . you could be facing $20 000 instead of 2000.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Insurance companies just don't fork out money to pay for accident repairs. They chase the guilty party (which in this case, looks like you) for the cost of the repairs to their client (the lady). By you agreeing to pay the $300 of her excess (not premium) doesn't mean that her insurance company will not reclaim costs of repairs.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you can afford rent, food, electricity, car bills,2 loans and insurance on a measly $300 per week then you would understand my situation
Employment generally pays a bit better than welfare mate.

Have you thought about getting a job rather than a loan?

I know I couldn't live on that type of money so thats what I did! :

And look on the bright side. It could have been a lot worse!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Employment generally pays a bit better than welfare mate.

Have you thought about getting a job rather than a loan?

I know I couldn't live on that type of money so thats what I did! :
lol i do work im an Apprentice mechanic
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
bob^
LPS

I understand you offered to pay half her premium, but that has nothing to do with her insurance company.
The insurance company needs to cough up $2000 to fix her car, and they want that money back.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol i do work im an Apprentice mechanic
Maybe a 2nd job is what you need. To get ahead that is what you need to do.

Pay off your debts with the earnings from the 2nd job then when they are finished. poor those earnings into savings and you will not look back.

Sounds hard and it is to start with, but these things work out for the best in the long run.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Maybe a 2nd job is what you need. To get ahead that is what you need to do.

Pay off your debts with the earnings from the 2nd job then when they are finished. poor those earnings into savings and you will not look back.

Sounds hard and it is to start with, but these things work out for the best in the long run.

what would a good second job for me be ??
only yr 10 education
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
only yr 10 education
Here's some advice, never play the victim. Nothing will ever happen for you, you have to make it happen.

I only have a year 10 education and look where I am, mid 20's with a house in a decent area, great car and a decent amount of play money.

Work hard, don't ever take things for granted and you will do well.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
just got AAMI third party property damage $100 p/month :
3rd party property for $100 PER MONTH!! thats $1200 a year! sheeeet!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #21
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
3rd party property for $100 PER MONTH!! thats $1200 a year! sheeeet!
yeah i know with only 1 accident at fault
Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I think by agreeing to pay half her premiums, you kinda screwed yourself over. This sort of implies that you know you are to blame for the accident, if it wasn't your fault then you shouldn't have payed anything.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #23
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I think by agreeing to pay half her premiums, you kinda screwed yourself over. This sort of implies that you know you are to blame for the accident, if it wasn't your fault then you shouldn't have payed anything.

like i said im over it, im paying the insurance company
i know i was screwed from the start, shish happens so i just build a bridge and get over it
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i have no job
This is from post one, your first post.

I somehow got the impression you weren't working but can't for the life of me figure out how. :
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
GlenW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This situation sucks man, but I have to agree with the other posts here. On the upside youre an apprentice mechanic, look to the day when youre a qualified tradesman and earning good money -> thats the pay off for crap wages now, plus youll be able to do stuff to your car that others have to pay for.....
GlenW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #26
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So you didn't have insurance
and you drove a car.

I will not drive a car i'm not insured for. All my cars i have organised insurance for before I have picked them up.
I have had an at fault accident in the past 5 years and comprehensive insurance for my two falcons is less than $450 a year each.

I personally think it should be just plain illegal to not have third party property insurance (not to be confused with compulsory third party).

Russell is right. Don't let anything ever hold you back, don't play the victim, don't get yourself into silly trouble like this.
Do what rich people do. It makes you rich yourself I'm sure. That's what i've done so far, it's worked for me. Rich people always have good insurance. So I do too. This theory does work, to an extent.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #27
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the bright side is 2K isn't too bad my insurance is $1080 and $600 excess. i reckon just pay it and be glad it wasn't a new merc. and get some real insurance.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #28
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still can't understand why 3rd party property is not mandatory. No 3rd party property, no drive in my book. Stuff like this can ruin people. A half decent new Aussie car is north of 50K, Euro multiples of that. Its pure luck one of those didn't get written off, so the glass is half full there.

This wouldn't be the first thread on this type of topic, and sadly it wont be the last. If you can't afford 3rd party property insurance, you can't afford to drive.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
only yr 10 education
Nothing wrong with filling shelves at the local Coles/Woolies. Pays about 18 an hour at your age. Apply at all of them. In person and or over the net. Usually after hours/night work. Think of all the places that employ people after hours, cleaners, servos, clubs, bread vendors often need weekend staff but you better be prepared to get up real early, milkos too. All of these jobs I have done as well as my day job. You wanna get ahead you gotta work for it.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #30
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
This is from post one, your first post.

I somehow got the impression you weren't working but can't for the life of me figure out how. :
sorry to quote you on this but it clearly says "now at the time i have no job"

Cheers