Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Test drove an XR6T and SS

Yesterday I was talked into taking some cars for test drives. I am thinking about replacing my daily driver in the medium term.

I was pretty keen on an XR6 Turbo but thought I should also drive an SS as well. Both rated the same kw, very similar price new and as second hand buys.

First up was the current model SS auto. Very comfortable seats. great driving position with plenty of room in the cabin. To drive it felt great, really solid and very nice handling. On the freeway I gave it a bootfull, the rear squatted slightly and it was off. Nice shove in the back and could hear the V8 goodness. I really liked this car........ liked it a lot. To me it felt like it had all the characteristics of an old school muscle car.

I needed an antidote so went to the Ford dealer to take an FG XR6 Turbo for a fang. Took a while to get comfortable. Seat down as low as it could go and steering wheel all the way in and up as far as it could go. Even then the steering wheel was a fraction too low into my lap for my liking. Compared to the SS I felt quite closed in with this car. Anyway, got going and it felt really nice. Got onto the freeway and like the SS, gave it a bit. Having never driven a Turbo before all I can say is "GOD DAMN!!!" It was like being fired out of a cannon. A totally different kettle of fish. Back to cruising speed it felt to me like it has a hair trigger. It didn't require much provocation to rear up and take off!!

After it was all over I realized my world has been turned on its axis...... The antidote didn't work...... I've fallen for the SS!!!

The turbo is fantastic and seriously fast but it's just not for me. I'm a V8 guy and always will be.

I now realize what a hole in the range Ford has now that the XR8 has been dropped. To think that if you want a V8 Ford then you have to spend mid $50K on an FPV GS. That is way out of my budget and probably always will be. Maybe in 2-3 years as a second hand buy who knows?? For a potential budget of high $30K to low $40K I would find the SS hard to go past.

The XR Fords look a bit too Plain Jane. I hate the cloth netting type interior, leather is a must. Also, why are there so many Nitro or Ego Fords??? Because the rest of the colour range is shyte. This seems to be a cyclic thing though.

Right now, today, if I were laying down my $$$ I'd be visiting the Holden dealer and springing for an auto SS in Hazard (Yellow), or maybe even an SS V if I could crunch a deal.

I feel so dirty...........

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
StrokedXT
Banned

Default Re: Test drove an XR6T and SS

Disgrace
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't think we've had a AFF exorcism. We must bring you back from the brink of insanity.

Actually, having been in both the Maloo and the F6, the Maloo kills the F6 for handling ride and comfort. The big V8's not bad either.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Sorry to hear that you are turning to the dark side, but this sort of story is common and highlights the hole that Ford currently has. For many the GS argument does not stand up because the extra few thousand is just that, an extra few thousand. I found the SS ute a damn good drive but still couldn't get myself to buy one. Instead I have stuck with the BA and progressively done it up. Maybe done the wrong thing as I will never get my money back on it. But if Ford do release a XR8 in the future then maybe I will consider. Yes the XR6T is an awesome drive but as you said nothing beats that V8 roar. Just a pity that it is coming from a Lion rather than a Blue Oval for you. Hope you enjoy it and hope to see you back in blue when the XR8 returns....

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

The SS is a fantastic package, but if I was to buy a V8 it would definitely be manual.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

If your still looking for a V8.. there are quite a few New unregistered 2010 build FG XR8's around, might be worth a look as dealers would be getting pretty desperate to move them now.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman

I feel so dirty...........
Don't. I'm in the same boat as you, a manual SSV wagon in Voodoo Blue would be welcome in my driveway any day of the week. Sedan or ute would be fine too.

You will check this thread in a couple of hours/days and find so many responses about how you are picking a poor car etc but stuff all that - the single biggest thing about buying a car to the vast majority of people is how you feel before, during and after driving it. Thats what makes the decision for a lot of people, myself included. If it fits in your budget and you enjoy it then who really cares what badge is on the front?

I love my Fords, would still buy one tomorrow IF they made what I want, and at the moment, as you have identified - they don't. The general does, he does it well and while it might not be to everybody's taste, as I said above I would have one in the driveway any day.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I perfectly understand someone wanting to own a Yellow SS over an equivalent ford
because there isn't an equivalent ford. That's the problem
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

You think that SS is awesome now....wait till you mod it just ever so slightly.....

May I suggest a visit to www.ls1.com.au and check out all the information you could possibly ever want in relation to making that choice just that little bit more enjoyable.

Moreso congratulations on picking a car that YOU felt was what you wanted. To me its never been about the brand its about the package. And different times call on different choices. If you purchase either car, I hope it gives you many years of joy and hassle free motoring.

Craig
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko
Sorry to hear that you are turning to the dark side
Hasn't happened yet. Really the test drives were a bit premature as I don't have all my ducks lined up but you just never know what tomorrow brings.

My Coupe will always remind me of where my heart is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
If your still looking for a V8.. there are quite a few New unregistered 2010 build FG XR8's around, might be worth a look as dealers would be getting pretty desperate to move them now.
Interesting........ I assumed they'd all be gone by now. A test drive of an XR8 could be in order.

I may end up going the second hand route.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far with good humor and helpful comments. Just shows what a great forum this is.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
fordv8!

yeah ford have dug a hole here alright i WAS going to purchase a 5.0 XR8 but cant seem to find them on the lots.....lol ford needs to address this but with there track record it will take along time but for me i will NEVER buy a holden.

i cant see why there cant be
XR8 5.0 SC 315
GS 5.0 SC 335
GT 5.0 SC 351

and with "our" history how good would a 351GT be??!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep the SS is a great package for the $$$...

If i was buying a new ute atm it would be an SS.. For 36 kay can you really go wrong?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive been banging on about this for ages (with others aswell, two who have already posted).

But some think the I6T fills all the holes, it certainly doesnt dispite its credentials.

XR8/G8E and two cars that should be there. And before the usual suspect(s) attempt to say they have died for a reason, this is true, Ford let them die.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

If i was buying a new ute atm it would be an SS.. For 36 kay can you really go wrong?
That's it innit. So many guys my age (25) are buying them, dropping a set of rims on them and theyre happy. Id love one. For anything from the Ford camp you're looking at minimum $50k, even then it's still a pov pack just with a beefy motor (GS ute I mean here) and then you've got to insure it which is going to be a big ask given that it's a blown car if you're my age.

The numbers make too much sense to ignore.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
agree 100% plus ive never been taken with the idea of the fords seperate tray, to me the holden utes just look better/smoother. add the maloo into the equation and you get crazy in your face aggressive looks as well.

even the thunder utes currently being heavily advertised on tv seem like pretty good value as well.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

BEARMAN - I have to agree with you on some level because you see a pattern amongst the ford community who have a interest/love/passion for the ford product like myself, so by educating ourselves by reading reputable car magazines for example on their perspective or in addition to what is written on these very forums and general feedback thru circle of friends the xr8 appears to be the ''quiet achiever''

Despite the various distinctions that the xr6t has been able to achieve, the SS has exactly what the culture desires, V8, Value for money, ''modify friendly'' which seems to be the xr8's weak areas.

Personal experience though a close friend of mine had his focus on the late series hsv range, now after having exploring the hsv offerings he stepped into a manual FG XR8 which soon resulted after him being behind the wheel of a xr8! I was a little confused to his decision but he said basically it felt like a stronger performer, satisfied with the features which inconjunction he ticked the ''luxury pack'' and upgraded to the optional 19'' wheels.

Maybe his pocket might be a little bit deeper but honestly this car surprised me even with the minimal, popular mods fitted. It just wasnt lazy, any gear, any rev range would result in sideway action or loss of traction LOL. Possibly being manual and the owner driving it like he stole it might of helped the cause!

Howard Marsden -They were at time rated supposedly as the fastest 4 door production car in the world.

Bill Bourke - Part of the GT that changed the auto industry of australia, i would say one word, exciting it added excitement to the industry.

-GTHO P3
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh dear what can I say.........don't do it you'll regret it. You've already got a V8 in the stable how do you think it will feel when it sees the imposter you bring home.
Tell you what go and have a cup of tea,a Bex and a good lay down you'll get over it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Bah. Your money, your choice. Should be buying the car that best suits your wants within your budget, not the car that has a certain badge on the front that doesn't. Go for the SS.
Old 13-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #19
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I've been hanging out for some time waiting for news on the XR8, but as time goes on I get less and less optimistic about its return. Don't think that means that I would buy a SS to fill the void and I can't afford to get a SM1DY spec GS so I guess I'd probably be one of those that would fall into the turbo vortex as Ford expects potential XR8 customers to do.
Old 13-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
prydey
Rob

funny how as soon as ford stop making the xr8 there is all these people that want to buy one, and yet when one was available, they couldn't sell it.

i think many of these threads, although starting out genuine, develop into another excuse for all the so called ford fans to stick the boots into ford again.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #21
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Must say I like the kit in the new SSV's
Old 13-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #22
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it really any wonder Ford stops building things. If I had to cater to Ford fans, I'd pack up shop and just do imports. Everyone wants billion dollar profits from a local company, while getting a billion dollar car for the price of a fiesta.

Whats wrong with a GS? Too expensive says the fans. Well save more, budget for it and get something special. No, sit back and whinge that ford don't make the car you want anymore because you are the loud minority who don't buy new cars anyway.

I'm honestly amazed how far the wool has been pulled over everyones eyes. Both the 6T and the 8 beat Holden's offerings in every way, shape and form not 2 years ago. But Holden do a minor interior update and suddenly the VE is the fresh new kid? Seriously.

I wish Ford well, with luck the FG isn't the last of the Falcons. But if it is, it'll be the fans who'll be to blame.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Old 13-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #23
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Is it really any wonder Ford stops building things. If I had to cater to Ford fans, I'd pack up shop and just do imports. Everyone wants billion dollar profits from a local company, while getting a billion dollar car for the price of a fiesta.

Whats wrong with a GS? Too expensive says the fans. Well save more, budget for it and get something special. No, sit back and whinge that ford don't make the car you want anymore because you are the loud minority who don't buy new cars anyway.

I'm honestly amazed how far the wool has been pulled over everyones eyes. Both the 6T and the 8 beat Holden's offerings in every way, shape and form not 2 years ago. But Holden do a minor interior update and suddenly the VE is the fresh new kid? Seriously.

I wish Ford well, with luck the FG isn't the last of the Falcons. But if it is, it'll be the fans who'll be to blame.
I like your passion. Well said.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 13-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

last year we were looking at buying new again, in particular a G6ET. Took one for a drive, far out the thing was mental. Only had 90KM on it too, brand spankers. It was incredibly quick, but the soundtrack to me was a bit like Brian Adams instead of Metallica. Just not for me, so i understand your feelings Bearman. I'd look intently at an SS, but then realise i just couldn't do that either.

Make the damn XR8 already Ford.
Old 13-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
funny how as soon as ford stop making the xr8 there is all these people that want to buy one, and yet when one was available, they couldn't sell it.

i think many of these threads, although starting out genuine, develop into another excuse for all the so called ford fans to stick the boots into ford again.

Quote:

I strongly agree with both.

The AU XR8 was how much? Not much less than what the asking price is for a new GS over 10 years later. The FG XR8 was cheaper than the AU was all those years ago, and outperformed the SS in just about every aspect, and we still didn't buy it.

If anything I don't think we deserve a sub $50k 400hp XR8, because if Ford did make one, AGAIN, we'd still find something to whine about. Like it not having a make-up studio or extra large cupholder for the waxpot.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't, by their own so-called support base.

And in reality why should Ford butt heads with GMH re this segment, when GMH openly admit to selling at a loss to maintain their no1 sales position.
Old 13-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I love my Ford, but my blood is not blue......
I've been having a serious look at the SS myself !!

For the V8's in the second-hand market, there are far more manual SS's
available at more competitive prices than the Fords.

Nice write-up for the OP, Bearman.
Old 13-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

This topic has been done to death in the XR8 thread.

Ford stop V8 production because of emissions, they choose to go the FPV route which is better than dropping it all together...fine.

But why would someone buy a FG XR8 as it was? Really give us an answer other than "it's a ford v8 isn't it"? Consumers just don't care any more, they want the best car for there money.

When the SS is cheaper, drives better as far performance goes (not nvh etc), because remember that's the primary reason people buy them then it's easy to see why it's not around. The fairlane died be use the opposition killed it, there was no incentive to buy one unless you were one eyed. Agreed though even the caprice doesn't sell in large numbers.

The XR8 ute was a good seller for what it was and that was solely because fords ute rep was carrying it.

Falcman I have never seen GMH publicly state that they sell cheap for volume even though their strategy is obvious.

The GS might be a cracker buy at $56k or whatever it is....but it's pretty basic compared to the SSV. We live in a society were speed or driving enjoyment is being killed and people seem to think a cracker engine will save the day, it's just not so.

It's the same issue regarding the general sales performance of the falcon vs commodore...people seem to be concerned about form over function.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Whats wrong with a GS? Too expensive says the fans. Well save more, budget for it and get something special.
Maybe if it actually was something special instead of a base model falcon with a V8, an FPV badge and some vinyl on the side people would buy it?

As for the AU argument, technology moves on as time goes by. I remember when the AU's were the latest and greatest and they really did 'seem' to have everything you could want. The FG plain and simply just doesn't have that for what I would consider a reasonable price. I dont want an FPV but I do want a V8, what other option is there?
Old 13-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

How do you get and out of Holden Ute's ???
I find it easier getting in my WRX than our work Ute's!!
The roof line seems way to low...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 13-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #30
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So let me get this straight, you hate the FG because it doesn't have the 'goodies' that holden does. But you hate the Taurus because its not a falcon? I kinda hope the Taurus does replace the Falcon. Slap an eco boost V8 into it and then no-one will be able to complain. Well except the fact that it wont be a falcon, but who cares right? No-one wants the thing as it is.

Here's a model line up for the mass, not the fans.

Fiesta
Focus
Mondeo
Taurus
Ranger

That'll do. Ford can be an import company, stop wasting money trying to provide a product to the public, that the public doesn't want apparently. What they save on Falcon/Territory they can put into new coffee mugs at Ford HQ.

My point is, what is the point in throwing good money after bad. Is there a business case for a billion dollar update on something that's currently selling 1300 per month?

I firmly believe this is only temporary, but come onto this forum and even the fans cant stop slagging off a fantastic car, all because of.....I don't know, some dire hatred because its not an EB or a BF? I don't understand you people, I'm trying but I just don't get you.

Also, what was everyones excuse for not buying a new FG XR8 when it was brand new in 2008? You know, when Holden didn't have a touch screen and thus your point that Holden was miles ahead is null and void?

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door

Last edited by GT69; 13-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Closed Thread