Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Import Quad Bikes on EBay

Thinking about purchasing one, has anyone got one of these? If so what type and anything good/bad to report on it?

Old 22-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I have an el cheapo quad,and 2 chinese trailbikes on the farm.
There not very flash,very flimsy materials,if you do anything more tham putt around theyll fall to bits,one of the bikes rear light assemblies fell off just going over a rut,I got them as a job lot cheap,so it dosent worry me too much,if I get 2 years out of them Id be happy..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I know of a good Yamaha Bruin 350 automatic for sale in vic for $6,500. Needs new rear tyres though. Only done 3,500k.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you after the adult size ones or the kids versions ??????
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I bought a 50cc quadard for my 5 year old daughter. Its OK, does the job. But it doesnt get exactly driven hard.
Old 22-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the 110cc ones
Old 23-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

If you plan on giving them a hard time they wont last. But in saying that they are cheap and if you spend some money on it they will serve you well and still be cheaper than a brand name. I've recently been looking at a 250 one but i dont think they're quick enough for me.
Old 23-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Get one of these... Hahahaha

Sorry man, couldn't resist.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
Skooter

Have you got a link for it there like a million 110cc's on there, but i know you want to save money and all but i would spend the extra bit more for a brand name 2nd hand because a quality brand is going to last longer and if its maintained to a certain extent will never have to be replaced. if it is speed you are looking for a 2nd hand yamaha banshee goes for about 3-3500, my dad has one they go like ***** off a shovel i get goosebumps every time i ride it.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
NZ
~~~

Skooter: I used to have a Banshee 350cc 2cyl 2 stroke, that thing was mad! I had race pipes put on it and a few other bits. That thing would stay ahead of a 97 sti on the tar seal till it ran out of gearing at about 120. Scarey stuff having to lean right over the front wheels to stop it wheelstanding! I've grown up since then lol.

As for those asian bikes, my worker just shelled out $700 for a 125cc 2 wheeler. it goes ok and apparently it has a honda motor but forquality theyre just dog ****. The front suspension has 4 allen key bolts and after his first ride one was gone. things like the brake pedel held on by a washer with a tiny split pin, the very light frame i don't see it lasting that long

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

i would not touch them with a 10foot stick im a big finatic and i know people with them. They spend more time fixing them than riding them there so krap
Old 23-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
TomXY
XY

I've got a 2002 model Honda 90cc Quad, which I got brand new for about $4000 and its been through Hell!! Still going strong and heaps of power.

We also have some cheap black 110cc quad from Ebay, that we got last christmas and it is absolute shiite, its bumpy, falls apart and always breaks down, you cant even do doughnuts on it! It almost rolls when you try, unlike the Honda which you can get sliding 90 degrees around corners in top gear!

If your thinking of getting a Quad save up for a good one, otherwise you will be left with a piece of crap lying around in the shed.

Remember you get what you pay for!
Old 23-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

yup dam right! As i said tomxy. Buy a honda! Bulletproof machines!
Old 23-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #14
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate has a thumpster and when he put it together he replaced all the bolts with stainless nyluc nits and it goes very well and has stayed together for over a year, he also changed rear cog to smaller one as first gear went about 5 feet and you needed to change gear,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #15
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

There junk. My bike mechanic was the head mechanic of Kawasaki for 18 years. He bought one for his kids. He said to me stupidest thing he ever did. Spend all day fixing them no time riding them.

You get what you pay for. Honda are best
Old 23-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #16
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Look for what you pay,if your only gonna putt around they would be ok for a couple years,but if your gonna ride hard forget em, for a serious working quad,you cant go past polaris or bombadier but youll pay for it big time..
Old 23-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #17
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

i bought a honda XR400R and i flog the living hell out of that full throttle corners wheelies and jumps. Never had a problem.
Old 23-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I realise you get what you pay for thats why the kids first bike waas an LT Suzuki. This will be for kids to have a bit of fun with and to tow their dragster back up the return road so not alot of abuse(hopefully) coming its way. Just looking for something not too expensive to fill the need
Old 23-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #19
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
i bought a honda XR400R and i flog the living hell out of that full throttle corners wheelies and jumps. Never had a problem.
Exactly, Hondas are bulletproof, the only problem with mine has been bald tyres! Seriously nothing has ever gone wrong with it in the 4 years that ive thrashed the absolute ***** out of it!
:eclipsee_
Old 24-09-2006, 02:52 AM   #20
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

yeh my XR400R smashes the tyres
Old 24-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #21
TomXY
XY

Heres a couple of pics, of my TRX90. As you can see the rear tyres are completely rooted.

THESE BIKES ARE LOTS OF FUN!
Old 25-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #22
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

alot of those cheap bikes are rebuildable with honda parts thanks to no cpoyright laws in china
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #23
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

A little bit off topic but those of you that have had quads like bansee's etc.. can you carry someone on the back....Im currently looking at a banshee, but i want to be able to throw the mrs on the back every now and again..
Old 02-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #24
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

yes and no, there is basically no footpegs or anything on the back of them, she will just have to wrep her legs around and hang the fsck on, not relly safe or stable in my experiences
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 
Default Update.

I bought an Atomik Raider 150cc ATV for my son today (yeah ok..we ride it together), i went straight to the supplier and could not believe my eyes, these things rip snorters, they look good and go VERY well, electric start, auto gearbox, disc brakes and all for a grand total of $950.00 !
I had to wait in line as they were walking out the door, highly recommended.

The 200cc water cooled models retailed @ $1600.00, but i saw them let one go on ebay for $940 today.

http://www.atomik.com.au/index.htm

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #26
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cousin has something very simular to that, He paid something close to $1600, so Im guessing its the second one, the 200cc water cooled model he got.

Good times to be had.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #27
Ford_V8

Chinese bikes/quads can last ages. Although they do tend to break items here and there, most items are interchangeable with honda pieces and there is a huge aftermarket out there. First thing to do is change your engine oil, the oil they come with is only used to prevent corrosion during shipping and by leaving it in you are setting yourself up for problems down the track. I would also replace all p1$s-weak chinese nuts/bolts before riding it anywhere.

As far as maintenance goes, just make sure you change oil regularly, change/clean the air filter every now and then and make sure everything is lubed up as it should be. Valve clearances should be done after you run the engine in and every couple of months after that. Both intake and exhaust for most of these motors is 0.05mm. Of course, you could always just fang it and forget about all this stuff, and the bikes do last a surprisingly long time when treated like that but you should get ages of trouble free riding if you take care of them.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #28
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive not had one personally, but @ work the boss bout 6 of them in 1 go, i think 90cc ones! he sold 4 of them and made enough to pay for the other 2 he kept for his 2 sons!!!! they motor along, and are excellent fun!

Yeah not as good as the CR450 quads i had when working on the cattle station! but just for around back yard, and heading to the beach for a play for a small ISH cash out lay!!! they worth the $$ in my eyes :
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #29
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I bought an Atomik Raider 150cc ATV for my son today (yeah ok..we ride it together), i went straight to the supplier and could not believe my eyes, these things rip snorters, they look good and go VERY well, electric start, auto gearbox, disc brakes and all for a grand total of $950.00 !
I had to wait in line as they were walking out the door, highly recommended.

The 200cc water cooled models retailed @ $1600.00, but i saw them let one go on ebay for $940 today.

http://www.atomik.com.au/index.htm

Very nice mate,little Jake is gonna have some fun..
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #30
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

I got ripped.. I paid $2450 for a KAZUMA FALCON 150cc Quad last year and i've done about 10-15 hours on it.. every time i take it out, it comes back disabled. it costs me more money getting it fixed than it costs me in fuel, riding and transporting.. i don't like taking it out because it's such a piece of sh... I DO NOT recommend one of these cheapies to anyone.. they're not built properly and salesman will lie and bullsh.. to make you buy it.. as soon as you have a problem they don't wanna know you.

a good 2nd hand TRX450 Honda will cost around $6000-$8000.
You get what you pay for.
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post