Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Unknown

Default Engine ticking, oil light flicker??

After fixing the problem with the regulator and alternator in my EA, I have developed another issue.

Went for long, hilly drive on weekend, temp gauge higher than usual and oil light began to flicker.

I could feel vibration through the accelerator pedal, so I pulled to side of road.

Engine was very hot, and there was a ticking/tapping sound from the rear of the engine (Under the cover thingy on the side of the engine, not actually in the engine block).

$120 tow to get the fu#@er home (That's with RAA Plus - ha, what's the point)

Waited 24 hours for engine to cool and checked the water - all fine and full.

Checked the oil - seemed lower but no leak anywhere. Topped oil up and started car.

OIl light not on at first, tapping sound only present for a few minutes.

Took car around block - no worried.

Back to driveway, turned car off then on again, oil light back to flickering - til I put my foot down. Tapping sound only quiet til I put my foot down also.

What's the problem now????? And is there anyone in S.A who could come and look at it for me???

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol - nice username ;)

A few questions... how many kms has the beast done? When was the last oil change? What oil did you top it up with - what weight was it?

It just sounds like the oil is too thin for your application. When the engine gets real hot (maybe need a cooling system flush) the oil thins out too much and you loose oil pressure (as indicated by the oil light).

It may be a simple case of doing an oil change, putting some thicker oil in there and servicing the cooling system to stop the poor thing getting too hot.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Unknown

In answer to your questions:

1. 331176 kms
2. 302600kms last oil change, oil and air filters replaced at same time.
3. Repco oil ays 15W-40 API SL/CP on bottle (Don't know what that means)

Had new hoses put on radiator a few months ago, temp gauge has been as crazy as me ever since - up and down all over the place. But never more than half way til now.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

30,000 klm with no oil change, it should have had 3 oil and filter changes in that time.
Oil light on and it has oil in the motor, you have oil pressure problems try a thicker type of oil as yours will be like water after 30,000 klm... if that fails your engine may ready for a reco..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura

Yeah... what he said!

30,000km between oil change is brutal and probably explains all your problems. The good news being hopefully nothing is damaged.

As noted by xrfpv8, the oil would have broken down and is very very very very thin - heat making the problem even worse. This is where your problem lies. Thin oil = low pressure = low pressure warning light. This explains the ticking noise - the lifters need oil pressure to operate properly - too low pressure and they make noise like that.

First port of call - oil and oil filter change. I'd recommend penrite HPR 30.

EDIT: PS. 15w40 denotes the thickness of your oil. Basically the higher the numbers, the thicker the oil. Your engine has done a lot of mileage, is probably a bit worn and therefore needs a thicker oil. Cheers.

Last edited by 4.9 EF Futura; 05-12-2005 at 03:41 PM.
4.9 EF Futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
BlackLS

Not only the thinness of the oil, the filter could possibly be clogged, restricting flow.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
2. 302600kms last oil change, oil and air filters replaced at same time.
Basically, after about 7-10,000kms oil has the same lubrication properties as water.
You need to drain it all out and replace the filter and oil (with good quality stuff.. shell make an excellent oil for older engines for a reasonable price).
Then you should be fine so long as the extended period of old oil hasnt done any damage.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Unknown

May have added a number in the wrong spot on that filter change figure, It was about 6 months ago.

Just started the car a few minutes ago and black stuff came out of the exhaust and there are a few spots of water in the exhaust now. Is this related?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

You could be up for a new motor.

thicker oil may help but I think a motor is the only answer.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
Unknown

Ok then, how much is that going to cost!!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura

That's a fairly serious conclusion to jump to. The black crud in the exhaust may just be fuel related (i.e. black = carbon. burning oil usually more of a blue/white colour), the water may just be condensation (all forms of combustion create water and there's several thousand explosions ocurring in the engine every minute).

I'll stand by my oil change suggestion. For less than $100 at a workshop - it MAY solve the problem...
Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #12
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I totally agree with 4.9 EF Futura. Change the oil to HPR30 and see how that goes. I was using HPR30 for about 30,000ks (6 oil/filter changes) then silly me decided to try HPR15. It started making all sorts of bottom end noises. Now im going give the engine a real good flush and put in some 30.
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Just a tip, make sure you get a good quality oil filter from a reputable brand - the old dude who owned my car before me used to use bodgy no-name filters which apparently lack a certain valve that the motorcraft (ie Ford genuine) and good quality aftermarket ones have. Mechanic told me that it was probably causing low oil pressure at startup. He also found lots of sludge in the head, though whether or not that was related to the oil filters I'm not sure. Luckily for me the worst I had to deal with were slightly noisy lifters but once the head was cleaned out (was getting a new headgasket at the time) it was back to normal.

Last edited by Hunter; 05-12-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
efgiar
rofl copter

drop a 347 in it ;) thatll fix all ur problems

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 05:28 PM   #15
Unknown

Ok, new filter and oil = no oil light anymore.

Ticking noise still coming from car. It's not in the engine, it's off to the left side (Think this is something to do with the exhaust manifold???)

Any ideas anyone??
Old 13-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #16
64compact

it is possably a loose spark plug. if they are all tight then it will be the exhaust leaking. ask Santa to get you a tool BOX or a box of tools, for Xmas.
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #17
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
drop a 347 in it ;) thatll fix all ur problems
plus a 200hp shot of nos hahahahah : : out:
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post