Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
fangq

Default What is the accepted protocol to warn drivers of road hazards

Now that the police are dinging drivers for using high beam within 200 meters of an approaching vehicle, what are we supposed to use as an indication of a road hazard? For those of us who do a lot of of rural driving, the question is pertinent. ie stock on road, broken down vehicles etc. Personally, I still use high beam flash, and will wear a point....

curious
Steve

fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say use the high beam. That has been the standard since high beam has been available.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I think the problem was that the hazard in question was usually Constable Kodak, or Sergeant Snapshot, up the road.

That being said, I have had drivers in the hills flash me, to warn me of debris on the road up ahead that you wouldn't normally see until its too late, its good to have the warning to be on the lookout for that kind of thing.

Surely, if you do get pinged for it, and you can reasonably prove that you were in fact trying to warn somebody of a genuine hazard and not a camera or to blind them, the officer in question would surely be able to look at the circumstances and issue no fine.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

You will flash the vehicle driving on the opposite road, and when a police officer pulls you over to ask you why you did that, you will go to explain that there is a hazard back along that road and you are warning the traffic. He will then understand your reasoning and let you go. Simple as that.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where is keepleft and his triangles......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Yeah I live in a rural area and will use high beam to warn others. Whats the alternative? Hazards? Its not that simple. Gererally if somebody flashes me, I am expecting something to be coming, a cop or a hazard either way I take notice. Never seen anyone using their hazards unless there is something wrong with their own car or towing. As such im alerted briefly but thats about it.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
where is keepleft and his triangles......
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I think the problem was that the hazard in question was usually Constable Kodak, or Sergeant Snapshot, up the road.

That being said, I have had drivers in the hills flash me, to warn me of debris on the road up ahead that you wouldn't normally see until its too late, its good to have the warning to be on the lookout for that kind of thing.

Surely, if you do get pinged for it, and you can reasonably prove that you were in fact trying to warn somebody of a genuine hazard and not a camera or to blind them, the officer in question would surely be able to look at the circumstances and issue no fine.
To me, the media / police blitz on the fines associated with using high beam to warn of speed detection devices, runs into the law of unintended consequences. You have to wonder how many drivers have assimilated that
information as NEVER use high beams to warn of hazards.

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

There is of course UHF channels 29 and 40. These are usually good for discussion of a raft of traffic hazards
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Bobman
Regulator

Can always use your fog lights or just normal head lights instead ;)

If you ever get pinged for high beam, just claim that you accidentally bumped it while flicking the indicator or similar. It happens.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will flash my high beam, if I get pulled over I will say I went for the windscreen washer, but forgot which car I was in since, I drive cars with indicators on the left and some with them on the right. SO Sometimes I actually do mix them up.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a big fan of hazard lights, I always use them if Im ahead of traffic and I see a problem first. Last time I used it was when I could see un-fenced sheep by the side of the road, I put my hazard lights on as I drove past them, the car 100m behind me I could see visibly slow down as soon as put them on.

The most vital time I used them was in the Heyson tunnels in Adelaide. Where the tunnel bends left there was a broken down car in the left hand lane you wouldnt know its there if you were in the left lane until you were on top of it, I was in the far right lane. I was ahead of traffic and put my hazards on, the cars behind me all slowed down as my car was visible but the broken down car was hidden by the bend. Two cars behind me followed my lead by putting their hazards on so the cars behind them would be alerted.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always get angry when going past a speed camera and the drivers id just past have not flashed lights,(un-Australian) so many people dont know or care about flashing hi beam,but i must say if i notice some one going the other way is driving like a tool i wont flash them.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way around the QPol crack down on flashing high beam, is to switch your lights from OFF to ON..cann't be booked for that. Not as easy as flashing high beam. but no points loss or fine.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
jlef5

UHF and flash on high beam. I do a bit of driving for current job have a hand helf uhf so talk to the truckies, and also flash when i see hazards.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The way around the QPol crack down on flashing high beam, is to switch your lights from OFF to ON..cann't be booked for that. Not as easy as flashing high beam. but no points loss or fine.
your missing one thing though,we are talking about the Australian Police ,
they wont distinguish between the low beam and hi beam in daytime, especially with our all new legal system where proof is not required anymore
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
As funny as that sounds, it's actually the most correct and 'legal' thing to do.

A while back a young lady got pulled over for flashing oncoming traffic. She argued with the cop that it wasn't her high beams, rather her regular lights she was flicking on and off.

She took it to court and won. Don't know what the wording is like today, but apparently it does say that flashing 'high beams' is illegal.

Trying to explain to the cops why you were flashing your high beams is pointless as this is what 99% of drivers will do to try and talk themselves out of a fine. Get a cop riding his high horse and your buggered either way.

Wouldn't use fog lights either... same outcome if there is no fog around.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
blackjack74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
i always get angry when going past a speed camera and the drivers id just past have not flashed lights,(un-Australian)
X2 (yes speeding is unacceptable but...)
blackjack74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
i always get angry when going past a speed camera and the drivers id just past have not flashed lights,(un-Australian)
If there is a long straight ahead of me and the speed is under 80 I'll put my hand out the window and wave downwards in a flapping sorta motion.

Those who 'get it' flash or give me a wave back and slow down, those who don't, well good luck to em!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turn your headlights on and off a couple of times quickly as a legal substitute for using high beams.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Now that the police are dinging drivers for using high beam within 200 meters of an approaching vehicle, what are we supposed to use as an indication of a road hazard? For those of us who do a lot of of rural driving, the question is pertinent. ie stock on road, broken down vehicles etc. Personally, I still use high beam flash, and will wear a point....

curious
Steve
This would be a hard one to make stick unless there is more than one police officer further up the road to judge the 200mtre rule.

If the Hazard/speed trap is behind you how would they know you've flashed your lights (Headlight flashers don't operate the tail lights)?

What would they charge you with?. Warning an oncoming driver in case they commit an offence? If that happens point out that ATM's have warnings about the ATM being monitored by a video camera and would they like to charge the bank with the same offence.

Fixed speed camera's (in NSW) have warnings before you get to them. Should the Police fine the RTA for this?
Old 30-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen bus drivers making gun hand gestures to other buses to warn of speed cameras. But this is in the city, out in rural areas you would not be able to see their hands well enough.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
your missing one thing though,we are talking about the Australian Police ,
they wont distinguish between the low beam and hi beam in daytime, especially with our all new legal system where proof is not required anymore
No all you need to do is when you are being rolled say you used low beam over and over again because you are aware that high beam is illegal.

All police record intercepts and you can call on it during your court appearance. YES they DO have to prove you did something.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
fox76
Starter Motor

Playing devils advocate here for a minute. What if by you flashing your high beams to on coming motorist to warn of police up ahead you aid in an unlicensed, disqualified suspended, ****ed etc (or worse) driver getting away ie stop car get out and run or do a u-turn or stop and swap drivers that type of thing. Some one else mentioned unintended consequences.
fox76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox76
Playing devils advocate here for a minute. What if by you flashing your high beams to on coming motorist to warn of police up ahead you aid in an unlicensed, disqualified suspended, ****ed etc (or worse) driver getting away ie stop car get out and run or do a u-turn or stop and swap drivers that type of thing. Some one else mentioned unintended consequences.
Generally speaking mate flash for cash vans don't stop drivers so it wouldn't change a thing. I don't flash for RBT's or anything else like that, only mobile camera vans and radars, if they are gunna run or do a u turn they'll do it as soon as they see the man in the safety vest whether i flash or not.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #26
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Im a big fan of hazard lights, I always use them if Im ahead of traffic and I see a problem first. Last time I used it was when I could see un-fenced sheep by the side of the road, I put my hazard lights on as I drove past them, the car 100m behind me I could see visibly slow down as soon as put them on.
I'm led to believe this is the standard in Europe and makes pretty good sense to me, if everyone was aware of it that is. Sadly here in Vic, it's illegal to have your hazards on unless the car is stationary.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox76
What if you trigger an epileptic seizure in the oncoming driver and he runs into a school bus?

What if your head light explodes showering glass on the road and the car behind you gets a flat tyre and runs into a tree causing a fluffy koala to fall to its death?

If you flash someone who is speeding they will slow down and isn't that why the speed cameras are there?

While the government pretend that they make laws for road safety instead of revenue raising I will pretend to comply with them........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Generally speaking mate flash for cash vans don't stop drivers so it wouldn't change a thing. I don't flash for RBT's or anything else like that, only mobile camera vans and radars, if they are gunna run or do a u turn they'll do it as soon as they see the man in the safety vest whether i flash or not.
Yeah I will flash people if there is a van, or a copper with a radar gun.
But I never and will never flash or give indication for an RBT. - They are one thing I approve of.

I never really intentionally speed, but a UHF is a great thing to have on the highways.
End up listening to a lot of crap (friday afternoon traffic on the Bruce is the worst), but it is good for knowing where the boys in blue are.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #29
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
A while back a young lady got pulled over for flashing oncoming traffic. She argued with the cop that it wasn't her high beams,.
i actually prefer to get flashed with high beams if its a young lady

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i never flash for RBT or anything like that, i think there should be more of them.
but i do flash if i see a flash-for-cash or candy car , and i will mostly do it for a couple of km past, my theory is that it is so easy to be doing just a few kms over without noticing and by warning them i could save someones licence . or if they are speedy demons then atleast they might slow down for the next few kms. if i see someone who looks to be a road hazard i wont flash and hope thay they get busted.

i drive on mostly country roads and highways these days and always flash if there are any dangers or hazards up ahead like animals or stuff on the road, broken down cars etc.

i heard a trucky on the uhv about 6 months ago saying he had just got fined for flashing to warn of a camera car. the car he flashed was the unmarked highway patrol .woops. fine was something about interfereing with police duties or something like that. think it was $160.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250

Last edited by dave351cid; 30-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #30
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
+1.

I'll warn for speed traps (unless it looks like they are excessively speeding), but not for RBTs (if your drinking and driving, I want you off the road), and not for school zones.

Got to say though, its not often I see any warnings given nowadays, seems it's a road custom that's dying away.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post