Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Pick one
AWD 17 28.81%
FWD 3 5.08%
RWD 37 62.71%
Other: specify 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 
Default What do you prefer? AWD, FWD or RWD

In light of the now locked thread, vote for your preferred platform.
Keep it clean, no banter and blabber or bogan droning "rrwwdddd hhuurrrrr".

What is YOUR preferred platform for all types of cars, whether they be sports cars, family sedans, hot hatches, wagons, vans, etc. (you get the idea)

Feel free to expand on your vote and explain why you prefer that particular platform.

Note: Poll is sorted alphabetically (except for other, which clearly belongs at the end)

I have a soft spot for RWD sports cars (one of my all time favourite cars is RWD with Hicas ) So that gets my vote.

Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
Old 29-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think RWD can be more fun but i think AWD is a superior technology eg grippier, safer and generally faster through corners.

FWD just sucks generally (few acceptable exceptions eg focus RS)
Old 29-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

RWD in the dry, AWD in the wet.

Only AWD if power is biased mainly to the rear like a GTR, makes them fast and fun.
Old 29-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

RWD for sure. Just yesterday a late model M3 reminded me of its merits with a spectacular driving display.
Old 29-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Agree with you both there, AWD is safer and gives plenty of grip, but if not biased to the rear as mentioned by EF hoon I think it causes under steer issues from the front wheels having too much power fed to them - depends on the setup, and more importantly on the driver.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 29-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Whilst I prefer a RWD car, if I had to share with the missus, AWD for sure.

It puts my mind at ease.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
Old 29-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Whilst I prefer a RWD car, if I had to share with the missus, AWD for sure.

It puts my mind at ease.
Quote:
What do you prefer? AWD, FWD or RWD
Should have voted for what you prefer as per the thread title
Old 29-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AWD... that is proper AWD not this rubbish that drives the fronts and when it detects slip it transfers power to the rear

RWD a close second now with all the TC/DSC systems we have on cars

FWD good for... ummmmm..... arrrrrrrrrr..... hmmmmmm.....

But seriously if your going to own a FWD car, Ford do make the best of them (Focus & Mondeo)
Old 29-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I love AWD technology for handling and safety and generally getting out of slippery conditions was a bonus. But I found it very boring quickly. RWD while is fun when yuo have the power to rip it up, can get annoying if you need to push out of a corner fast due to inside wheel wanting to spin.

I like them both for different reasons. If I had the choice and if it existed, a performance RWD car that can utilize AWD capabilities with the flick of the switch. (4WD off road cars not included)

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

For me, RWD + electric drive on front wheels, giving both AWD and hybrid features at the same time.

The system Ford is looking at for future RWD vehicles.....
Old 29-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I love AWD technology for handling and safety and generally getting out of slippery conditions was a bonus. But I found it very boring quickly. RWD while is fun when yuo have the power to rip it up, can get annoying if you need to push out of a corner fast due to inside wheel wanting to spin.

I like them both for different reasons. If I had the choice and if it existed, a performance RWD car that can utilize AWD capabilities with the flick of the switch. (4WD off road cars not included)
I remember an ad on TV awhile ago for the (then new) Liberty, the upper model had a dial in the middle under the gear lever that could switch between FWD, AWD and RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's a subjective question as most people associate FWD with the performance and limitations of a FWD Aurion.
IMO, perhaps we should be looking at the likes of Audi in respect to the feel of well designed FWD and AWD vehicles.

Until we get past the preconceived notions of what a FWD car would mean, most will continue to vote RWD.

For me, RWD with with electric drive on front wheels to add both hybrid and AWD at the same time.
The weight on the front would destroy handling, better to have a 4cyl with a small turbo in the front I think and an electric motor just behind the rear seats (or under them?)

And the torque an electric motor produces would destroy the front tyres without some pretty crazy TC tech to handle the 800-1200nm of torque.
Old 29-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked other since i like to drive all 3.. RWD are fun in the wet, XR5T are an awesome car to drive as well as the new Mondeos, AWD cars like Subys and VW Golfs grip so well..
I don't really have a big number one choice - but it depends on the car, sportyness and power
Old 29-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh JWM I6
I remember an ad on TV awhile ago for the (then new) Liberty, the upper model had a dial in the middle under the gear lever that could switch between FWD, AWD and RWD.
I wonder if its the Liberty 3.0RB or GT by STI. Any idea on which model they were talking about?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I love AWD technology for handling and safety and generally getting out of slippery conditions was a bonus. But I found it very boring quickly.

You weren't driving the right type of roads then

I loved nothing more than pushing my WRX around tight & twisty back roads (wet or dry), and the tighter the turns the better because it keeps it legal (under 100kph).
Old 29-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
I wonder if its the Liberty 3.0RB or GT by STI. Any idea on which model they were talking about?
No mate sorry, would have been atleast 5 years ago. I'll do some snooping and try to find it.

It might have actually been the Legacy?
Old 29-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nope, it's the SI Drive (Subaru Intelligent Drive) alters the mapping and shift points nothing to do with the driven wheels.

Edit: the only other dials they have is the DCCD on the WRX STi (that does alter drive to the wheels)
Old 29-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

RWD any day!! So much more fun, even in the wet!!!
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
Old 29-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

You weren't driving the right type of roads then

I loved nothing more than pushing my WRX around tight & twisty back roads (wet or dry), and the tighter the turns the better because it keeps it legal (under 100kph).
More like I wasn't driving the right car. The subaru I had was a MY01 wheezy 2L n/a wagon.

What I wouldnt have given for a Liberty GT by STi at the time. If I went back to Subaru, it wouldnt be in anything less than something turbo charged put it this way.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Nope, it's the SI Drive (Subaru Intelligent Drive) alters the mapping and shift points nothing to do with the driven wheels.
Okay, but I'm sure in the ad the car had the ability to switch driven wheels.

It was driving in the desert/possibly a salt flat with another car next to it.
Old 29-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

I know what commercial you mean, it was the Intelligent SI drive. It probably gave more power to the rear wheels with the different mapping but doubt it had ability to switch between front or rear completely.

lol. got me all excited there for a minute.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Negative (not on a production model anyway)

Like I said the DCCD on the WRX STi is the only function that can change the drive between wheels and it is not switching drive between the wheels it is merely increasing or decreasing to either front or rear.
Old 29-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Negative (not on a production model anyway)

Like I said the DCCD on the WRX STi is the only function that can change the drive between wheels and it is not switching drive between the wheels it is merely increasing or decreasing to either front or rear.
No worries, happy to be corrected
Old 29-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cannot say I have driven many RWD car's But I think they will be my favorite, although AWD is fantastic when you wanna go fats in corners....... hmm actually AWD is my fave, as long as it is slight Rear Biased.
Old 29-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a WRX so have to say I prefer AWD. When you get used to it and learn about your car you can get it sideways if you want.
Old 29-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The weight on the front would destroy handling, better to have a 4cyl with a small turbo in the front I think and an electric motor just behind the rear seats (or under them?)

And the torque an electric motor produces would destroy the front tyres without some pretty crazy TC tech to handle the 800-1200nm of torque.
The system I referred to is one that Ford is actively studying for RWD/AWD.
Old 29-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #26
TZENU
XY Driv3r

For track and Dandy mountain runs I would take the 4WD (especially after driving an R32 GTR recently!!) ... For fun and the strip I'd have the RWD any day of the week...
Old 29-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
EvilNemo

Thumbs down

Old 29-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #28
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

It's no accident that my Territory is AWD

Whilst I don't consider one drive configuration best for all applications a proper AWD will always get my vote

The Poll has been edited to close after 30 days - I can't stand open-ended polls that still collect votes years after the thread has served it's useful purpose.
Old 29-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Having had RWD cars all my life (probably one of the handling falcons, the AU) i moved recently to a smaller car.
What i can say that is my old TE50 was the best handling car id ever drivin due to the IRS IMO being the best set up ever in an aussie Ford.
In my small time owning my XR5 i can garrantee you this id love to see my old TE keep up with my XR5 on ANY road with some corners, it just isnt in the same league as my Focus. And they can be made even better with the addition of a Quaife.
RWD cars can be made to handle i know that ive seen plenty, but one thing you cant change (well in a road car) is in most instances it the heavy weight penalty.
AWD is a different kettle of fish again, id love to own an EVO as i see these as the epitome of proper handling characteristics (First hand).
IMO you cannot base your opinion on any drive characteristic until you have drivin one that was actually meant to have some performance pedigree ie i30, corolla
I guess at the end of the day its what you want your car for.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 29-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 29-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Hoon
RWD in the dry, AWD in the wet.
Agree with this, so I went AWD
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Closed Thread